Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Gordon Hayward signs with the Celtics

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Gordon Hayward signs with the Celtics

I honestly could care less if Boston pummels us for the next 3 years, when we're clearly rebuilding--if it actually would give our franchise the best chances of winning long-term.

I think Hayward's note to the fans was very classy and genuine. PG didn't even thank the fans in his bare minimum Instagram post. You would've thought he had played in purgatory, never made two Eastern Conference Finals, and was constantly booed here.

As far as actually getting value back goes, time will tell. I think Sabonis will have a big determination of whether it actually mattered or not.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I honestly could care less if Boston pummels us for the next 3 years, when we're clearly rebuilding--if it actually would give our franchise the best chances of winning long-term.

I think Hayward's note to the fans was very classy and genuine. PG didn't even thank the fans in his bare minimum Instagram post. You would've thought he had played in purgatory, never made two Eastern Conference Finals, and was constantly booed here.

As far as actually getting value back goes, time will tell. I think Sabonis will have a big determination of whether it actually mattered or not.
    He was never very happy being in Indiana. Watched some video of his introduction when he was drafted and it was obvious he would have rather been elsewhere.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This brings me to a question. Would you rather have a player do it like Hayward or PG. What is better for the franchise that is losing the player. What is better for the fans.
    Would you rather get 50 cents for cutting off your own hand, or have someone else do it for free?

PG letting the team know in advance allows us to get something in return, but he still screwed our leverage. Hayward didn't cause the circus, so the loss is difficult, but at least he didn't play games or inhibit the franchise's ability to move on.

At the end of the day, both franchises failed to properly support their stars and they lost them. Blame the NBA, blame the players, blame millennials, blame the Russians - both situations suck and I think both fanbases are looking at it thinking "well our guy should've done it the way their guy did."
    It's a new day for Pacers Basketball.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This brings me to a question. Would you rather have a player do it like Hayward or PG. What is better for the franchise that is losing the player. What is better for the fans.
    Honestly, I'm cool with either way. Paul George's situation was just UNNECESSARY ugly, and backed the team into a corner where it started to look like Indiana was going to take pennies on the dollar. If players leave during free agency, that's their right. In some cases, the departing star is willing to do a S&T (which I think was nixed by the current CBA) to get some assets.

Hayward - He quietly did his thing during the regular and offseason, and meet with multiple teams. He made a decision.

KD - He did the same thing, but he's mainly being roasted due to creating the ultimate Superteam. Plus, OKC still has RW, so it doesn't sting as much.

LeBron - The damn ESPN show....need I say more?

Melo - He kinda forced his way out, but I swear he was opened to other teams.

Howard - Dude was a straight-up flake. I swear he spends hours in the morning deciding which shoe goes on which foot.

Paul "****ing" George - He gave the fans and FO serious lip service about staying, then sent his Agent to tell the FO that he wasn't signing days later. Indiana tried to salvage the situation, but Paul George made it CLEAR that he wasn't resigning with any other team and he only wanted to go to the Lakers. I'm still shocked that Indiana was able to get back "something" for Paul George.

Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    He was never very happy being in Indiana. Watched some video of his introduction when he was drafted and it was obvious he would have rather been elsewhere.
    I got mixed vibes. He sometimes talked about how he wanted to be like Reggie Miller here, but apparently, that was all talk. I think certainly having us trade Granger, fail to re-sign Vogel, trade George Hill, and fail to bring in another bonafide all-star next to him, didn't make him think twice when it came to burning bridges here the way he did.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    I feel like it should be Hayward and Stevens in Indiana. This is a bummer.
    Should be Hayward and PG

So, conference finals set?

Golden State/San Antonio
    Cleveland/Boston

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post

Golden State/San Antonio
    Cleveland/Boston

Well at least there are some new teams in the final four

Mood

Golden State/San Antonio
    Cleveland/Boston

I'm sure San Antonio will be in the mix, but I think the West has gotten more interesting with HOU and OKC making some pretty big moves. Denver wants to get in the discussion, but I just don't see them having the guns still, and the Clippers look like a ship with no rudder now. But Harden/CP3 and Russ/PG could mix things up out there. Of course, they'll probably play each other in the first round and then the winner will face GSW in the second, so...

Quote Originally Posted by BornIndy07 View Post
    Should be Hayward and PG
    Could've been PG, Kawhi, Stevens, and Hayward.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Golden State/San Antonio
    Cleveland/Boston

Houston should be there instead of SA.

Hopefully Boston is more competitive this time. Don't rule out the bucks either.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy View Post
    At the end of the day, both franchises failed to properly support their stars and they lost them.
    I really hate this mindset. It implies that teams don't try to build his teams, and it assumes that teams can do whatever they want like it's a NBA 2K game.

Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    If fans stop watching games the players would be screwed. The NBA really doesn't give a **** whether joe fan attends games or not. Even the main source of ticket revenue is generally luxury boxes, usually reserved for corporations. This idea of families of 4 coming to games keeping teams afloat is silly. This isn't the 1980's.
    Ok, and if fans stop going then corporation stop buying too.
    I'll rephrase it to "if fans lose mega interest in the NBA, the players will be screwed".
    Garbage players get 1st round picks, (WTF)! All of the NBA must hate the Pacers! LOL

Sports Logo

I got mixed vibes. He sometimes talked about how he wanted to be like Reggie Miller here, but apparently, that was all talk. I think certainly having us trade Granger, fail to re-sign Vogel, trade George Hill, and fail to bring in another bonafide all-star next to him, didn't make him think twice when it came to burning bridges here the way he did.
    BS...his mind was made up before the season started, because you could tell in his funky attitude during the regular season. That was why I wanted traded at the deadline. He displayed all behaviors that's common for people who are ready to quit their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    Ok, and if fans stop going then corporation stop buying too.
    I'll rephrase it to "if fans lose mega interest in the NBA, the players will be screwed".
    Which so far shows no indication of happening despite decades of unrestricted free agency.

A few disgruntled fans here and there don't mean much, and most of them continue to watch anyway.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I think certainly having us trade Granger, fail to re-sign Vogel, trade George Hill, and fail to bring in another bonafide all-star next to him, didn't make him think twice when it came to burning bridges here the way he did.
    And this is exactly why I cannot really blame PG for leaving. Sure, the way he went about it was BS but so was our treatment of Danny and Frank.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

Quote Originally Posted by IrishPacer View Post
    Empty vessels make the most noise.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

I'm going to keep blaming franchises and front offices until I'm blue, as Freddie has been saying this franchises have been making stupid mistakes for long periods of time, they also think "stars" are stupid enough by trying to convince them to stay by signing washed players, Utah tried to convince Hayward to stay by getting broken down Hill last year LOL

It also seems like GM's don't have the nuts to do anything out of the normal they rather play it safe at all times (see Cousins, Jimmy, PG), I mean Jimmy freaking Butler was available and this clowns are like "no thanks we rather keep our mediocre players", Utah's front office should have offered the moon to get somebody like that if they really wanted Hayward to come back that bad (same with Pacers and PG) but nope let's play it safe one more time ....
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to vnzla81 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    I really hate this mindset. It implies that teams don't try to build his teams, and it assumes that teams can do whatever they want like it's a NBA 2K game.
    I think the Pacers did a decent job earlier in PG's career, obviously resulting in 2 ECF trips. I also think the narrative that "they didn't do enough" is a bit overblown. It's been two years since he returned from the leg injury, and there were so many factors in the contender falling apart. I wish he could've been more patient and committed to the franchise. But there were clearly mistakes made in putting the roster together, and PG did not feel the commitment or support here that he needed. You can argue that's because he's a diva, and I'm inclined to grant that point without hesitation. But "Paul don't make decisions around here" and other such pleasantries were definitely not providing a supportive environment, no matter who the star is. Letting go of a young, promising coach that happens to have a GREAT relationship with your star is not providing a supportive environment.

I don't expect Indy to sign Durant as a free agent, or make 2K trades. But IMO, there were too many mistakes and missed opportunities in terms of player signings, draft choices, personnel decisions and personal relationships.

I don't know much about Utah's hits and misses, but they only made the playoffs twice in Hayward's time there. For a guy who just made an All Star appearance and is entering his prime, do you go to the company with tremendous history and promise, or stay with the company that's had spotty success with limited potential?

It's the nature of the NBA right now that stars can and do maneuver their way around like 2K rosters. Not my favorite thing, either, but if things aren't practically perfect, the players have the power to do what they want. If the franchise isn't making the right moves, this is the price you pay.

Mood

Which so far shows no indication of happening despite decades of unrestricted free agency.

A few disgruntled fans here and there don't mean much, and most of them continue to watch anyway.
    Yea ok, but that's not my point, my point is the fans pay for the salaries, period. And the players can care less about the fans. Without fans they are nothing.
    Garbage players get 1st round picks, (WTF)! All of the NBA must hate the Pacers! LOL

Yea ok, but that's not my point, my point is the fans pay for the salaries, period. And the players can care less about the fans. Without fans they are nothing.
    This is a little like pointing your finger at a public servant and saying "I pay your salary." While technically true, you don't necessarily speak for nearly enough people to have any real authority in the matter.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I'm going to keep blaming franchises and front offices until I'm blue, as Freddie has been saying this franchises have been making stupid mistakes for long periods of time, they also think "stars" are stupid enough by trying to convince them to stay by signing washed players, Utah tried to convince Hayward to stay by getting broken down Hill last year LOL

It also seems like GM's don't have the nuts to do anything out of the normal they rather play it safe at all times (see Cousins, Jimmy, PG), I mean Jimmy freaking Butler was available and this clowns are like "no thanks we rather keep our mediocre players", Utah's front office should have offered the moon to get somebody like that if they really wanted Hayward to come back that bad (same with Pacers and PG) but nope let's play it safe one more time ....
    I would take PG out that conversation. There's not too many teams that would take the Leap of Faith like OKC did. Boston clearly had more assets, and they didn't want to make that move (arguably). PLUS, you have think that Utah might not had anything that Sacramento and Chicago wanted.

It's funny....people give Grimp **** all the time (rather playfully or seriously) about his trade ideas, but the most common answer he'll get is "Why would the other team do that?". Just because fans THINK that teams would take such and such trade offer doesn't make it fact. Again, it's not a video game where you can override the CPU. There's a genuine GM human who is going to say "Yes or No".

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

Mood

This is a little like pointing your finger at a public servant and saying "I pay your salary." While technically true, you don't necessarily speak for nearly enough people to have any real authority in the matter.
    Really? That's where you go with this, very interesting.

I will say this, mutiple sources, ESPN, NBA and all over the Internet has made comments how the off seasons are more interesting and/ or enjoyable then the season itself. So please NBA players, keep doing what your doing so this crap will implode and someday get fixed. Hopefully sooner, rather then later.
    Last edited by Pacer Fan; 07-05-2017 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post

I agree with this to an extent. I think Pacers could've been more aggressive trying to bring in a Cousins or Butler to Indy, but I think the issue was whether they were willing to dangle Myles Turner for a lack of a guaranteed long-term commitment by PG which is risky business.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy View Post
    I think the Pacers did a decent job earlier in PG's career, obviously resulting in 2 ECF trips. I also think the narrative that "they didn't do enough" is a bit overblown. It's been two years since he returned from the leg injury, and there were so many factors in the contender falling apart. I wish he could've been more patient and committed to the franchise. But there were clearly mistakes made in putting the roster together, and PG did not feel the commitment or support here that he needed. You can argue that's because he's a diva, and I'm inclined to grant that point without hesitation. But "Paul don't make decisions around here" and other such pleasantries were definitely not providing a supportive environment, no matter who the star is. Letting go of a young, promising coach that happens to have a GREAT relationship with your star is not providing a supportive environment.

I don't expect Indy to sign Durant as a free agent, or make 2K trades. But IMO, there were too many mistakes and missed opportunities in terms of player signings, draft choices, personnel decisions and personal relationships.

I don't know much about Utah's hits and misses, but they only made the playoffs twice in Hayward's time there. For a guy who just made an All Star appearance and is entering his prime, do you go to the company with tremendous history and promise, or stay with the company that's had spotty success with limited potential?

It's the nature of the NBA right now that stars can and do maneuver their way around like 2K rosters. Not my favorite thing, either, but if things aren't practically perfect, the players have the power to do what they want. If the franchise isn't making the right moves, this is the price you pay.
    And where is this list of "missed opportunities and signings"? And no...the list will NOT start with the KL/Hill trade. Also, history will show that Indiana is really not a prime FA destination which could be the same fate suffered by Utah who biggest signing was old *** Joe Johnson. So, I would love to understand how so many people think Indiana is just this great team being held back by the FO.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Really? That's where you go with this, very interesting.
    It looked like a perfectly normal response to me.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

Quote Originally Posted by IrishPacer View Post
    Empty vessels make the most noise.