Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about Rasheed for a moment...

Default Let's talk about Rasheed for a moment...

Certainly, Horry deserves major props for his performance last night, as has been covered at length. That dunk was sick. However, you can't give a guy all the credit for hitting a wide-open three.

What the hell was Rasheed thinking?! If it'd been in the middle of the play, where he got screened or missed an assignment, that'd be one thing. But, [HubieBrown] you're up by two with less that 10 seconds left. You're the best one-on-one defender on your team, one of the best in the league. Your coach has just given you the assignment: guard one of the best clutch 3-point shooters in league history off the in-bounds. So, what do you do? Double-down on Tony-freakin'-Parker?! What are you, high? [/HubieBrown]

I still can't believe this. He supposedly said afterward that he "decided" to double-down on Duncan. First of all, that's not what he did. Not even close. Second, even if he did, they're up by two, why the hell leave the 3-point line unguarded? When a 3 will beat you, you better not even leave Dale Davis open out there, let alone a red-hot Big Shot Bob. Just amazing.

Now look, I certainly have no love loss for Sheed. But, come on. This is going to go down in history as one of the worst plays ever. It reminds me of Reggie's Star-photo shot against the Knicks in '98. But that doesn't even come close. It was in the 2nd round, it was in the middle of a play, it only tied the game, Chris Childs was not Reggie's defender, he'd gotten switched off Jax, and, let's face it, it's Chris Childs. Not the epitomy of bball-IQ, not by a long shot.

I can certainly sympathize with Brown saying last night that he "has to get over this (game), first." I still can't believe somebody would do something so stupid.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

sc

Default Re: Let's talk about Rasheed for a moment...

No Clue what he was doing or thinking. But that was the story of the night, constant bond heads plays.

The Pistons best chance to the win the title went poof last night.

Horry sick dunk to me will always and forever be a charge. As far as I am concerned any time you initiate contact by lowering your shoulder it is an offensive foul. But that is just me.

PacerSoul

Horry made plenty of 3's with hands in his face and the defender running at him. He just made it from area code distance and was well beyond the arc.

Quote Originally Posted by sc
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No Clue what he was doing or thinking. But that was the story of the night, constant bond heads plays.

The Pistons best chance to the win the title went poof last night.

Horry sick dunk to me will always and forever be a charge. As far as I am concerned any time you initiate contact by lowering your shoulder it is an offensive foul. But that is just me.
    What he was thinking was to trab Ginobilli on the baseline. The Spurs said they didn't plan that but after the play I'm thinking, It's almost like Pop said in the huddle, "If we move the ball to the corner they'll come with the trap and we can throw the ball out to Robert."

Sheed definitely blew it, but he almost blew it by calling for a TO when they didn't have one earlier. His head just didn't seem in the game - passed up way too many good offensive looks too - or chances to get good looks.

As for the Horry dunk - shoulder? UNless I'm totally forgetting the play he was going up in the air over Hamilton when contact was made. It's a matter of if Rip was set or not and to me it looked like he was sliding.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

"What was Sheed thinking" He wasn't thinking because the pressure of the situation got to him. Pressure does strange things to the mind

sc

I saw it this way, Hamilton slid under. Horry lower his shoulder try drive over the player.

Infact I saw the ref stating to the Pistons that he did not hit Hamilton in the chest.

I guess those are just the new rules to make basektball exciting but I consider that out of control.

If Ben Wallace tried that move would they would call the block. No it would have been a charge becuase the smaller player always gets the charge call in those situations.

I don't know, I just didn't think it was a great play that it is being made out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by sc
    I saw it this way, Hamilton slid under. Horry lower his shoulder try drive over the player.

Infact I saw the ref stating to the Pistons that he did not hit Hamilton in the chest.

I guess those are just the new rules to make basektball exciting but I consider that out of control.

If Ben Wallace tried that move would they would call the block. No it would have been a charge becuase the smaller player always gets the charge call in those situations.

I don't know, I just didn't think it was a great play that it is being made out to be.
    Well, I could go on for hours about how games are called in the NBA - allowing an offensive player to "back down" a defender once he's established position (esp with the shoulder), jumping into a defender just because his feet aren't squarely set, etc. Billups got a call on Parker where he jumped right into and over him (hit Parker in the chin with his shoulder) and on the last shot by Rip he tried to clear space with his elbows.

But I try to avoid talking about refs too much. NBA refs suck. Last night's refs actually sucked less than usual. It is what it is - sucky NBA refs are just something to live with.

Rasheed is taking a beating in many of the Detroit forums I've been at today. He definately had some poor plays seemingly due to lack of composure. Though, as DK points out it was Manu not Tony.

sc

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    Well, I could go on for hours about how games are called in the NBA - allowing an offensive player to "back down" a defender once he's established position (esp with the shoulder), jumping into a defender just because his feet aren't squarely set, etc. Billups got a call on Parker where he jumped right into and over him (hit Parker in the chin with his shoulder) and on the last shot by Rip he tried to clear space with his elbows.

But I try to avoid talking about refs too much. NBA refs suck. Last night's refs actually sucked less than usual. It is what it is - sucky NBA refs are just something to live with.
    I guess I am not so much talking about the officials as the media. but I guess great attempts no matter if they follow the rules or not make great TV. how many times do we have to watch the infamous Jordan Pushoff as a Finals Miracle.

Banned

I'm just so happy that ***-Weed blew the game for the Pistons. I hope he is in serious depression today. I hope he feels real bad about himself. I hope he goes into a deep funk that he NEVER recovers from.

It is so fitting that the biggest *****head in the NBA blew the game and cost his team a real strong shot at the Championship.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Munson
    I'm just so happy that ***-Weed blew the game for the Pistons. I hope he is in serious depression today. I hope he feels real bad about himself. I hope he goes into a deep funk that he NEVER recovers from.
    Classy.

Takes a real man to root against someone's personal health.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

I think the initial thought Sheed had was to get to Duncan and foul him, but he saw that there was somebody else guarding him and thought that maybe he could get a jump ball or steal.

Rasheed is a great player, it really isn't his fault the game was lost. When the Pistons went on that nine point run and had shut down Duncan for like 9:45, they could have finalized the deal.

Plus-

What was sheed gonna do, leave Timmy open for a jump hook which probably would have gone in?
    Life without water is tough, life without air is hard,life with one leg only is wobbly, Life without Reggie Miller, is impossible.

Do Not Trade Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Brunner
    Veteran Austin Croshere, the longest-tenured Pacers player on the roster, has proven reliable when called upon, invariably ready to step in regardless of the circumstance.

Quote Originally Posted by 8.9_seconds
    I think the initial thought Sheed had was to get to Duncan and foul him, but he saw that there was somebody else guarding him and thought that maybe he could get a jump ball or steal.

Rasheed is a great player, it really isn't his fault the game was lost. When the Pistons went on that nine point run and had shut down Duncan for like 9:45, they could have finalized the deal.

Plus-

What was sheed gonna do, leave Timmy open for a jump hook which probably would have gone in?
    What does Duncan have to do with anything? Duncan was near the lane, guarded by Ben. Rasheed's man, who he left, was Horry. He left him to double Ginobilli.

Whoa, sorry totally got my men confused. I knew what I meant to type, but my fingers didn't. I would explain what I meant to type, but by this time I have already confused myself. haha
    Life without water is tough, life without air is hard,life with one leg only is wobbly, Life without Reggie Miller, is impossible.

Do Not Trade Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Brunner
    Veteran Austin Croshere, the longest-tenured Pacers player on the roster, has proven reliable when called upon, invariably ready to step in regardless of the circumstance.

It is so fitting that the biggest *****head in the NBA blew the game and cost his team a real strong shot at the Championship.
    And this is why Pacers fans are so much more classy than Detroilet Pisstons fans( LOL I made a funny kekeke).

He made a mistake. Any other time most people would just shrug it off as it is something most players will make a few times during their career. Unfourtenately in his case it happened at a crucial moment in a crucial game so that will haunt him for a bit I imagine, at least in the media.

Quote Originally Posted by efx
    And this is why Pacers fans are so much more classy than Detroilet Pisstons fans( LOL I made a funny kekeke).

He made a mistake. Any other time most people would just shrug it off as it is something most players will make a few times during their career. Unfourtenately in his case it happened at a crucial moment in a crucial game so that will haunt him for a bit I imagine, at least in the media.
    amen.

Of course, if Rasheed comes out and plays his *** off and the Pistons come back, all will be forgiven.

Rasheed has every opportunity to play himself out of it.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Banned

You guys now act as if ***-Weed is some kind of a VICTIM for crying out loud! "Ohhh, the big bad media will torment poor Sheed now, because they are mean and uncaring and just too dumb to really get it like us dignfiied Piston fans."

Guess what pychophants, your boy sheed has brought it all on himself. He's treated media people, refs and fans like crap for years. Just last week he was walking around showing off his wrestling belt. Now that's a classy move. That's winning with grace.

I'll bet Tim Duncan will now start wearing his own championship belt, and cussing at refs every time they make a call against him. That would be a sight, wouldn't it!

Quote Originally Posted by 8.9_seconds
    Whoa, sorry totally got my men confused. I knew what I meant to type, but my fingers didn't. I would explain what I meant to type, but by this time I have already confused myself. haha
    LOL - no problem. Been there myself once or twice.

Sports Logo

Sheed went over to help cover Manu.....the one guy on the team that hasn't made a big time shot since Game 2....who was already covered by the 1 guy on the team that has effectively shut him down.

He made a mistake....it just happened to be the biggest one of the game. Has he come out and said publically that he knows he it was all on him for why the Pistons lost that game?

or

Is he gonna come out with his Guaran-Sheed for game 6?

[QUOTE=Roy Munson]

Guess what pychophants.... [\QUOTE]

I don't know if you meant to say this, or if its a typo for "sycophants", but if intentional, that's a good one!
    "If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you." - Jack Handy

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    "What was Sheed thinking" He wasn't thinking because the pressure of the situation got to him. Pressure does strange things to the mind
    Yup! TRADE him he can't handle it!
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

[QUOTE=Vicious Tyrant]

Guess what pychophants....
    I don't know if you meant to say this, or if its a typo for "sycophants", but if intentional, that's a good one!
    "If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you." - Jack Handy

woman without a team

You guys now act as if ***-Weed is some kind of a VICTIM for crying out loud! "Ohhh, the big bad media will torment poor Sheed now, because they are mean and uncaring and just too dumb to really get it like us dignfiied Piston fans."

Guess what pychophants, your boy sheed has brought it all on himself. He's treated media people, refs and fans like crap for years. Just last week he was walking around showing off his wrestling belt. Now that's a classy move. That's winning with grace.

I'll bet Tim Duncan will now start wearing his own championship belt, and cussing at refs every time they make a call against him. That would be a sight, wouldn't it!
    Geez, Roy. I thought I disliked 'Sheed as much as the next person, but I guess not. What crawled up your butt and died? Here, , have a Midol.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grace
    Geez, Roy. I thought I disliked 'Sheed as much as the next person, but I guess not. What crawled up your butt and died? Here, , have a Midol.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

As disappointed as I am in Rasheed, we wound up on the losing end of one of the 10 greatest finals ames I've ever seen.

Hey, life could be worse.

Meanwhile, Rasheed has his opportunity to make up for his mistake. Not many players get a second chance so soon after commiting such a crucial error.