Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Pacers Discussing Buyout With Monta - UPDATE - Monta waived

Default Re: Pacers Discussing Buyout With Monta

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They already re-signed Livingston to a decent contract to do that though.
    Livingston was kind of bad this year they missed other players, there is a reason why they are trying to convince Swaggy P.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

Mood

"So what would it cost us to make you just....go away?"
    Lifelong pacers fan

3. The Following User Says Thank You to pacers_heath For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Pacers Discussing Buyout With Monta

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    For those of you who are cap experts how does a buyout work vs the salary cap? In other words are we still on the hook for the full amount of the original contract or when we buy out does it go off of the books then? Not that it matters but if we could shed his salary then it would go a little in making DC more palatable. (not really but I'm trying to find a bright side to that)
    It would have to go off the books, otherwise what benefit would this have for the team.

Or at least I hope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Diamond Dave For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CooperManning View Post
    Incorrect, sadly. Full contract will still count against our cap.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q67
    Follow that link and read 66 too. It says:

If the player clears waivers, the player's guaranteed salary will be reduced or eliminated
    So if the Pacers and Monta agree to a $5M buyout for example, then $5M would count against the cap. They're agreeing to a new guaranteed salary amount.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    BS. Over 11M next season and a player option for the season after for nearly 12M. He's not going to get that in another contract, so he's going to make us pay through the nose. No way does Herb handover 16-18M for a player that won't even be in uniform.
    Since a buyout is technically a "waive" wouldn't that render his player option year invalid anyway?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacersalltheway10 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

For those of you who are cap experts how does a buyout work vs the salary cap? In other words are we still on the hook for the full amount of the original contract or when we buy out does it go off of the books then? Not that it matters but if we could shed his salary then it would go a little in making DC more palatable. (not really but I'm trying to find a bright side to that)
    I think the cost of the buyout is what counts against the salary cap. I'm not super confident about that though.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
    It would have to go off the books, otherwise what benefit would this have for the team.

Or at least I hope.

It stays on the books. The benefit is that the guaranteed amount drops. So instead of having $11,277,000 against the cap this year, it might only be $5M (or whatever they agree to).

And remember that his final year isn't really guaranteed because he can be Stuckeyed.
    Last edited by Strummer; 07-03-2017 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Stuckeyed was misspelled

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    And remember that his final year isn't really guaranteed because he can be Stuckyed.
    New verb! Love it!

Worker: "Dadgum boss wouldn't give me a raise. Hmph! Says he's gonna 'persuade' me to retire next year."
    Coworker: "Man, you got Stuckyed!"

"I think if he is and we pass on Leaf we'd be some dumb mother ****ers."

- Larry Bird to Kevin Pritchard before their pick on Draft Day

15. The Following User Says Thank You to DrFife For This Useful Post:

It stays on the books. The benefit is that the guaranteed amount drops. So instead of having $11,277,000 against the cap this year, it might only be $5M (or whatever they agree to).

And remember that his final year isn't really guaranteed because he can be Stuckeyed.
    Looks like stuck-eyed. One of his eyes has been superglued.

There is a possible problem with the Stuckey Provision and a guy just being waived. It depends on the exact legalese way the CBA is written. Normally, all player options must be paid off in order to stretch or waive a player. The fact that the Pacers found a loophole to give Monta and the team both a player option and a team option to a contract could muddy the water. A buyout might save the hassle of a $10M complaint by the NBAPA.

Sports Logo

I think that the buyout amount is what counts towards there salary cap. So if there buyout amount is $9 mil, that is how much will be applied towards the salary cap.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

Sports Logo

I'm trying to understand the logistics of how being "Stuckey-ed" works.

Let's say that the Pacers ( or any Team ) keeps him on the roster for the majority of the season and decides to waive/drop/whatever him the day before his 2017-2018 salary becomes guaranteed. How much of his Salary counts towards the 2017-2018 Salary Cap?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm wondering if there is some benefit to keep him and use him as a trading asset.

I would think that there would be a good percentage of his Salary that would have to be paid considering that he played for "X" number of days. For example, he played 75% of the games....so he would be paid 75% of his guaranteed Salary and would count towards the Salary Cap?

I would hope that if you play or keep him up until the day before his contract becomes guaranteed.....and then waive/cut/whatever him....that he won't be paid at all that season despite the # of games that he played.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I'm trying to understand the logistics of how being "Stuckey-ed" works.

Let's say that the Pacers ( or any Team ) keeps him on the roster for the majority of the season and decides to waive/drop/whatever him the day before his 2017-2018 salary becomes guaranteed. How much of his Salary counts towards the 2017-2018 Salary Cap?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm wondering if there is some benefit to keep him and use him as a trading asset.

I would think that there would be a good percentage of his Salary that would have to be paid considering that he played for "X" number of days. For example, he played 75% of the games....so he would be paid 75% of his guaranteed Salary and would count towards the Salary Cap?

I would hope that if you play or keep him up until the day before his contract becomes guaranteed.....and then waive/cut/whatever him....that he won't be paid at all that season despite the # of games that he played.
    Stuckeying only takes away Monta's player option for the 2018-19 season. He loses that player option when we waive him before the end of the 2017-18 season. His 2017-18 salary is still fully guaranteed. The only way to reduce his salary cap hit for the 2017-18 season is if he accepts a buyout which reduces the guaranteed salary amount. Part of the buyout procedure is waiving him which would trigger the Stuckey clause.

And I don't know if his contract can be both Stuckeyed and stretched at the same time.

Lurker of the Year Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Stuckeying only takes away Monta's player option for the 2018-19 season. He loses that player option when we waive him before the end of the 2017-18 season. His 2017-18 salary is still fully guaranteed. The only way to reduce his salary cap hit for the 2017-18 season is if he accepts a buyout which reduces the guaranteed salary amount. Part of the buyout procedure is waiving him which would trigger the Stuckey clause.

And I don't know if his contract can be both Stuckeyed and stretched at the same time.
    This seems to be the pertinent question, but considering the player gets paid the same either way, I don't see why it would matter whether the team stretched the salary or not.

As far as I know (correct me if i'm wrong) stretching doesn't affect the timeline the player gets paid on, they get paid the same way. It only stretches out the cap hit, it's purely a benefit to the team so I don't see why it wouldn't apply in this case.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Sports Logo

I think that with the signing of DC.....he would eat up most of the available Salary Cap space that we CURRENTLY have ( while not taking into consideration Leaf/Brooks/CJ Salary Cap hold ).

I would assume that Brooks cap hold will be released.....which should leave us with about $3.5 mil in Salary Cap space to spend. I would hope that we let CJ go as well....which would then open up $11.5 mil in Salary Cap space to spend on a Free Agent. Now...if CJ can be had for $8+ mil a year.....I would be fine with him as our Backup SF.....but I do not want to overpay him to be our Starting SF.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I think that with the signing of DC.....he would eat up most of the available Salary Cap space that we CURRENTLY have ( while not taking into consideration Leaf/Brooks/CJ Salary Cap hold ).

I would assume that Brooks cap hold will be released.....which should leave us with about $3.5 mil in Salary Cap space to spend. I would hope that we let CJ go as well....which would then open up $11.5 mil in Salary Cap space to spend on a Free Agent. Now...if CJ can be had for $8+ mil a year.....I would be fine with him as our Backup SF.....but I do not want to overpay him to be our Starting SF.
    After the DC signing, we have $13 million in cap space left--as much as $17 million if we shed some of our non-guaranteed guys.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Buyout amounts can be stretched so I think yes. But in our situation now, I'd prefer to take all of the cap hit this year.

For people who think Monta will get all his salary back - this is not generally how buyouts work. Monta is giving up some money to get released early, in order to catch on with another team. If the Pacers have to pay him the full amount, then they might as well make him play.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Haven't most of our previous buyouts been around 70%? So $7 million or so for Ellis. Then if he signs elsewhere I'm pretty sure we get an offset to lower that hit even more.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrFife View Post
    New verb! Love it!

Worker: "Dadgum boss wouldn't give me a raise. Hmph! Says he's gonna 'persuade' me to retire next year."
    Coworker: "Man, you got Stuckyed!"
    Remember we already have Tinsley'd as a verb

It's a lot like Stuckey'd but we still have to pay the guy

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Wage View Post
    Haven't most of our previous buyouts been around 70%? So $7 million or so for Ellis. Then if he signs elsewhere I'm pretty sure we get an offset to lower that hit even more.
    I don't know about us specifically but yeah, buyouts in general are in the 70-80% range. There is an offset whenever he signs his next deal but I'm thinking it's to the actual cash payout, the cap hit remains the same regardless. May be vice versa, I can't remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I don't know about us specifically but yeah, buyouts in general are in the 70-80% range. There is an offset whenever he signs his next deal but I'm thinking it's to the actual cash payout, the cap hit remains the same regardless. May be vice versa, I can't remember.
    Not 100% sure but I thought it was the cap hit that went down and not the actual payment to the player. Thought I remembered at one point 3 teams were paying Gilbert Arenas to not play basketball.

Dutch Pacers Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Wage View Post
    Not 100% sure but I thought it was the cap hit that went down and not the actual payment to the player. Thought I remembered at one point 3 teams were paying Gilbert Arenas to not play basketball.
    The other way around. From a business side it is better, from a basketball side (chance to get other players) not. I agree with the premise that we shouldn't stretch the amount. Take the hit this season, load up for the future and use this season to get rid of everything we don't want anymore.
    Yay, we don't know what we're doing as a franchise! thanks PG!

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacersgroningen For This Useful Post:

!
    Last edited by Ozwalt72; 07-04-2017 at 07:36 AM. Reason: lookit me ima dummy
    "man, PG has been really good."

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    Buyout amounts can be stretched so I think yes. But in our situation now, I'd prefer to take all of the cap hit this year.

For people who think Monta will get all his salary back - this is not generally how buyouts work. Monta is giving up some money to get released early, in order to catch on with another team. If the Pacers have to pay him the full amount, then they might as well make him play.
    Yes. No stretch in current situation. Only useful if PG stayed.

Assuming the buyout nullifies future cap impacts of Monta's player option for 2017-18 then all for it. No need to risk Monta hitting a hot stretch and winning a couple games this year.

Unless there is some unexpected sweet deal out there for young talent on a rookie deal honestly hope the only other acquisition this summer is for a back-up SF on a one year deal that gets the team to the floor. Absolutely no need for this team win next year and sacrifice a very real opportunity to be good and trending up in 2019-20 when LeBron will be 35 with a lot of miles on the chassis.
    Last edited by Downtown Bang!; 07-04-2017 at 08:52 AM.

Would be one of the best moves of the offseason, one in which hasn't had many bright spots.

This is a year too late.

35. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post: