• Other (please explain)

0 0%
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Pistons/Spurs Game 5 Thread

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pistons/Spurs Game 5 Thread

This series is going to end like the Pacers/Lakers series, Spurs in 6.

The Pistons will put up a great effort in game 6, probably be leading for 95% of the game like the Pacers were, but in the last 5-6 minutes the champs will take over at home and win the prize.

That game 5 was probably the best Finals game since the infamous game 4 of the 2000 Finals.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Age is a constant; a given. That's not the same as hurting yourself to the point where you either can't play, or can't play as effectively.

Injuries are just as constant and given. Each happens every year and neither is so concrete as to be counted on to effect any one player at any certain time or in any certain way. In many cases they are one and the same.

As for "should you blame ..." I am not calling to blame anyone. However, unless the player is not an active participant in the play in which they got hurt (say by sitting on the bench when someone flies into them) then they were where they were for a reason. If it ends up in injury, its unfortunate, but no one else was in that position (or at least, someone else was not in that possition). Is Karl Malone the luckiest guy in the NBA (until his final year) or did he actively avoid injury. Does he get no credit for not being injured?

Quote Originally Posted by Fool
    Injuries are just as constant and given. Each happens every year and neither is so concrete as to be counted on to effect any one player at any certain time or in any certain way. In many cases they are one and the same.
    Seems like poor logic to me. Everyone will get older, and each player will eventually not be able to play because of it. Players may or may not get hurt to where they lose their effectiveness, or can't even step onto the floor. That's not a given or a constant.

The only part of it that is, is that yes, SOMEONE will get injuried, but that's more due to the fact that there are so many players playing so many games, it's bound to happen, not that it's meant to happen. And certainly not to the same people. Exceptions exist, of course, but that's just what they are, exceptions.

Is Karl Malone the luckiest guy in the NBA (until his final year) or did he actively avoid injury. Does he get no credit for not being injured?
    Likely it's a combination. He was in extremely good shape, usually was the one CAUSING the severe injuries with his nasty habits, and luck comes in to play. Same went for Reggie Miller; sure he was in great shape, but eventually he got knocked around. The eye socket was one, the ankle problems later on where another. Otherwise he was usually just fine. Those injuries weren't his fault.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

As for "should you blame ..." I am not calling to blame anyone. However, unless the player is not an active participant in the play in which they got hurt (say by sitting on the bench when someone flies into them) then they were where they were for a reason. If it ends up in injury, its unfortunate, but no one else was in that position (or at least, someone else was not in that possition). Is Karl Malone the luckiest guy in the NBA (until his final year) or did he actively avoid injury. Does he get no credit for not being injured?
    Injuries are just as constant and just as much as aging? Are you serious? Aging is an everyday thing, and happens to everyone. Injuries hit randomly, hardly constantly. They're not even close to being one in the same. Aging deterioration takes time, whereas injuries strike instantaneously. Players tend to get better as they age, then start to regress. Injuries hardly make players better for a time. Aging never stops, and is something you're capable of making adjustments too. Injuries never have the same time intervals, and if you're injuried bad enough you can't do anything, let alone adjust too.

You can't blame anyone for playing, and getting injured. Just like you can't praise someone for not being injured. 95% of the time, it's events that you can't control.

sc

Injuries are not random they all have a cause

Age and Injury are a very related item. The older you get the longer it takes to recovery.

You can most certainly control injury, ever hear of workout injurys or injurys caused by not being in shape.

Yes, I'll grant you those. But I'm talking about the ones that you can't prepare for. Like JO's shoulder.

ahhhhhhhhh! No more piston gloating! no more "The champs" references and no more of those damn belts! hahah big shot rob strikes again! kstat must be about to hang himself
    "GIMMIE DAT!"-DANGER

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by J33J
    kstat must be about to hang himself
    You wish.

Go back and read the thread. I'm very satisfied right now.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    That was a great game.

Pistons will take the next two, though.

Can I quote you on this....

Quote Originally Posted by sc
    Injuries are not random they all have a cause

Age and Injury are a very related item. The older you get the longer it takes to recovery.

You can most certainly control injury, ever hear of workout injurys or injurys caused by not being in shape.
    Exactly, and they are more related then that (I can assure you Since 86, I am entirely serious).

Conditioning and working out stave off both injury and degredation in ability due to age. Injuries can stick a player suddenly (in the case of Reggie and the eye socket) or they can build (as in a small pain that grows as its played on). Just as age can hit a player all at once (as in a player who comes back one year and that quick step they relied on is gone and so is their game) or it can build over the years (as in any player that slowly lost their effectiveness). Is Bender always injured or are have his joints degraded as he grew and aged?

Injuries aren't constant?
    Players take blows everyday. Did the simple act of rising up for a jump shot suddenly happen to produce a rib muscle sprain for Wade or did his constrant strain on his muscles finally build to the point that he "sprained" the muscle?

Who is to "blame"? Again, I'm not blaming anyone. But its ridiculous to equate blamelessness to not playing a part in the situation. "95% of the time, it's events that you can't control"? Are you telling me that Wade didn't go up for that shot? That Manu didn't dribble to the right of Tayshaun? Sure they didn't know the injury would happen or the strain would take its toll at that moment, but the instance was hardly out of their control. There were plenty of players on the court at the same instant who weren't in the situation, who didn't push themselves to the same extent in all those previous games. Perhaps, who didn't skip that workout or eat those carb (or what have you). Not being your fault and not having any control over the situation are not absolutely congruous.

"The only part of it that is, is that yes, SOMEONE will get injuried, but that's more due to the fact that there are so many players playing so many games, it's bound to happen, not that it's meant to happen. And certainly not to the same people. Exceptions exist, of course, but that's just what they are, exceptions"

I'm not really sure how people are meant to age but not injure but in general I would disagree with the paragraph. How does a pitcher suddenly dislocate his arm when throwing a pitch in exactly the same way that he's always thrown it. Injuries happen because bodies take punishment just from the act of playing. If players continue to play they will get hurt just as if players continue to live, they will age.

Aging itself injures and injuries age a player.

Quote Originally Posted by SamBear
    Can I quote you on this....
    oh man you better.
    Hah pistons take the next 2!? that's funny.
    "GIMMIE DAT!"-DANGER

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    First of all, I have nothing to be a prick about.

And its great you can be a hard-*** being a ****ing computer............

Also, beleive it or not not all NBA fans post here at PD, there is more to the NBA then PacersDigest............................
    Are you serious?

Get over yourself.

Fool, VA, I don't even think you guys are even arguing over the same thing.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    Fool, VA, I don't even think you guys are even arguing over the same thing.
    That wouldn't surprise me seeing as I have no clue as to when I was being a hard-*** nor when I made statements that assumed the entire NBA watching public posted on the PD.

down boys DOWN!

is there to much testosteron in the air there ?

chill out, relax, it's summer, nothing to get all excited about.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Quote Originally Posted by able
    down boys DOWN!

is there to much testosteron in the air there ?

chill out, relax, it's summer, nothing to get all excited about.

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    Its quite simple, when you decided you wanted to start talking talking trash over the internet...
    I've edited this post. I don't believe I did trash talk and I think my posts show that. However, I apologize for whatever I said that offended you.

PacerSoul

You guys take this too seriously. We are on an online message board for Jesus Christ's sake.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerSoul
    You guys take this too seriously. We are on an online message board for Jesus Christ's sake.
    Is that what we're on here for? Da ... Uh, golly.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Exactly, and they are more related then that (I can assure you Since 86, I am entirely serious).

Conditioning and working out stave off both injury and degredation in ability due to age. Injuries can stick a player suddenly (in the case of Reggie and the eye socket) or they can build (as in a small pain that grows as its played on). Just as age can hit a player all at once (as in a player who comes back one year and that quick step they relied on is gone and so is their game) or it can build over the years (as in any player that slowly lost their effectiveness). Is Bender always injured or are have his joints degraded as he grew and aged?
    Yes, conditioning can help prevent injuries, but knick-knack ones. Being in tip-top shape wasn't going to stop JO from hyper-extending his knee, or from Jordan tearing his ACL in Hicks setup. If I'm remembering correctly, Bender is a situation that he can't help one way or another, which is why LB has came out and said it's hard to be upset with him.

Injuries aren't constant?
    Players take blows everyday. Did the simple act of rising up for a jump shot suddenly happen to produce a rib muscle sprain for Wade or did his constrant strain on his muscles finally build to the point that he "sprained" the muscle?.
    Injuries aren't constant, as having a constant time variable. Aging is a procees that you can count on every single second. Injuries come and go, with no set time period inbetween. There isn't a table that this player is going to get injured at this time, and then again at this time. You know when you're aging, because you always are. You'll never know when you're going to get injured.

Who is to "blame"? Again, I'm not blaming anyone. But its ridiculous to equate blamelessness to not playing a part in the situation. "95% of the time, it's events that you can't control"? Are you telling me that Wade didn't go up for that shot? That Manu didn't dribble to the right of Tayshaun? Sure they didn't know the injury would happen or the strain would take its toll at that moment, but the instance was hardly out of their control. There were plenty of players on the court at the same instant who weren't in the situation, who didn't push themselves to the same extent in all those previous games. Perhaps, who didn't skip that workout or eat those carb (or what have you). Not being your fault and not having any control over the situation are not absolutely congruous.
    I'm telling you that 95% of injuries, are spained ankles and other injuries that are flukes. How many times do you think Wade does the same exact thing, without being injured? How many times for Manu? Maybe players should avoid all contact, so it isn't likely that they'll be hurt. Injuries are out of your control. If you do the exact same thing time after time after time, and on the 1000th time you get injured, are you going to link that action to your injury or being a fluke accident? Wade is going to continue to take that shot, and Manu is going to continue to attack the exact same way they did before their injuries, and I bet you that they don't get injured the same way the very next time.

"The only part of it that is, is that yes, SOMEONE will get injuried, but that's more due to the fact that there are so many players playing so many games, it's bound to happen, not that it's meant to happen. And certainly not to the same people. Exceptions exist, of course, but that's just what they are, exceptions"

I'm not really sure how people are meant to age but not injure but in general I would disagree with the paragraph. How does a pitcher suddenly dislocate his arm when throwing a pitch in exactly the same way that he's always thrown it. Injuries happen because bodies take punishment just from the act of playing. If players continue to play they will get hurt just as if players continue to live, they will age.

Aging itself injures and injuries age a player.
    Aging is a constant, happens every sec, min, hour, day, week, month, year, decade, so forth. Again, injuries don't have a constant time variable. You injure yourself do to fluke accidents more other than not. Pitchers dislocate their arms from strain first, not age. That's why you see pitchers getting Tommy Johns surgery done when their 16-17 yrs old now. I hardly think it's because their so old.