Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30

Thread: Pacers Training Staff Revamped...

  1. #1
    foretaz
    Guest

    Default Pacers Training Staff Revamped...

    you cant help but wonder if the rash of injuries, tinsley's situation this year, the bender situation, harrison, etc has anything to do with this....we were really banged up....these things happen....this year was really bizarre...and craig has been a stalwart with this organization....truly class act...u would think there would be nothing to it....

    but still....it is a bit coincidental....especially since its the strength coach as well.....




    http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...15/1004/SPORTS


    June 19, 2005


    Pacers' trainer changes duties
    Craig, a longtime member of staff, heads to front office; strength coach out.


    By Mark Montieth
    mark.montieth@indystar.com


    The Indiana Pacers have made sweeping changes in their training room, replacing two veteran staff members.

    Athletic trainer David Craig, a fixture with the franchise for 35 years, was reassigned to a front-office position. Bill Dean, the team's strength and conditioning coach for the past seven seasons, also will be replaced.

    Josh Corbell, who joined the Pacers as an assistant athletic trainer last season, is expected to replace Craig.

    Pacers president Larry Bird, who initiated the changes, and CEO Donnie Walsh could not be reached for comment.

    The Pacers have had just two head trainers since their formation in 1967. Craig replaced Bernie Lareau before the 1970-71 season shortly after graduating from Purdue.

    Craig, 57, said his new job title and description are "to be determined." He will oversee the team's medical operations, help Corbell with the transition and network with area doctors and hospitals. Craig described his change as a mutual decision.

    "They've been good to me for 35 years," he said. "It's an opportunity for me to step back and let younger people do my job. It's a chance for me to not travel as often and still stay involved."

    Craig, a native of West Lafayette, Ind., was the first president of the Indiana Athletic Trainers Association and was inducted into its Hall of Fame in 1995. He was the trainer for the Eastern Conference in the 1985 and 1996 NBA All-Star Games and was named the league's Athletic Trainer of the Year in 2003.

    Dean expressed no harsh feelings.

    "I heard it was nothing I did or didn't do," he said. "The team is just going to go in a different direction."

  2. #2
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,046

    Default Re: Pacers Training Staff Revamped...

    It's interesting that Craig will oversee the Pacers medical operations. That has to mean the Pacers are unhappy with all the injuries and they are trying to fix the problem. I don't think they would put Craig in charge of the medical if they were unhappy with him.

  3. #3
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,611

    Default Re: Pacers Training Staff Revamped...

    I think the problem was not so much the injurys, but the misdiagnosed injurys that might have done them in.

    Although some of them were certainly freak accidents so I don't know how they can be blamed for missing some of them.

    But at the end of the day diagnosing the injury is not the job of the trainer, it's the job of the team physician. Oh sure the trainers know the injurys as well & probably can diagnose it better than some of the Docs. but at the end of the day it is the M.D. that is responsible.

    But I think the team is deffinately taking steps so that we don't have a repeat of last year.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  4. #4
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,959

    Default Re: Pacers Training Staff Revamped...

    Bird continues his changing of the guard. First the scouting staff, now the trainers. By the time Donnie steps down, Larry will be the only person left that he hired.

    Now that I'm a darksider, I get to play conspiracy theorist. Does anybody really believe Craig wanted to get kicked upstairs, to be replaced by a guy who's been around less that a year. This is change just for change sake, which is becoming a trend with Larry.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  5. #5
    Banned Fool's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,408

    Default Re: Pacers Training Staff Revamped...

    Anybody remember the thread where Kstat and some fans here got in an argument about who's team had the better training staff?

  6. #6
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,055

    Default Re: Pacers Training Staff Revamped...

    If I still had season tickets to ram up Larry's *** that's exactly there they'd be. If he's trying to make me a Bulls fan he's doing a very good job.

  7. #7
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Pacers Training Staff Revamped...

    I can't believe people actually get angry over this.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Pacers Training Staff Revamped...

    Maybe we shouldn't trade Bender then....


    ....of course they might realize he has 0 capacity of knowing how to actually play the game and consider him a lost case...
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,316

    Default Re: Pacers Training Staff Revamped...

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can't believe people actually get angry over this.
    Sounds more like Grace is not a Bird fan. For many around the Haute area he is a God. For many who have met LB in the Haute area he is a "dangling participle".

  10. #10
    Banned Jermaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Your baby moms house
    Age
    25
    Posts
    11,717

    Default Re: Pacers Training Staff Revamped...

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can't believe people actually get angry over this.
    I agree,our best players have been injured for the past 2-3 years and can never make it healthy through a season. I think its time someone eles looks over them.

  11. #11
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: Pacers Training Staff Revamped...

    Let's hope the strength and conditioning coach they bring in has an impact on Tinsley. We could be very good if he stays healthy for the entire season.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  12. #12
    Banned Jermaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Your baby moms house
    Age
    25
    Posts
    11,717

    Default Re: Pacers Training Staff Revamped...

    If he keeps Tinsley and JO healthy for the whole season and playoffs, we need to make him the highest paid trainer.

  13. #13
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,956

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers Training Staff Revamped...

    Quote Originally Posted by Fool
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anybody remember the thread where Kstat and some fans here got in an argument about who's team had the better training staff?
    I remember that well.

    Mike Abdenour is a Pistons icon now. He started as team trainer back in the mid-70's. He also doubles as the guy that warns chauncey everytime the shot clock is at 5 or less. He used to do the same for Joe Dumars. He's as good of a trainer as you will see in the NBA. It wouldn't surprise me to see the Pistons retire a number in his name after he retires.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  14. #14
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,055

    Default Re: Pacers Training Staff Revamped...

    Quote Originally Posted by RWB
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sounds more like Grace is not a Bird fan. For many around the Haute area he is a God. For many who have met LB in the Haute area he is a "dangling participle".
    No I'm not a Bird fan. I lived in Terre Haute for more than 2 years and it did nothing to change my opinion of him.

  15. #15
    Member Jon Theodore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,759

    Default Re: Pacers Training Staff Revamped...

    Quote Originally Posted by Fool
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anybody remember the thread where Kstat and some fans here got in an argument about who's team had the better training staff?
    I can't imagine a Pacer fan saying his team had better training staff than the Pistons.

    how many pistons got injured this year?

  16. #16
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,956

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers Training Staff Revamped...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Theodore
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can't imagine a Pacer fan saying his team had better training staff than the Pistons.
    Actually, as I recall, pretty much all of this forum did.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,316

    Default Re: Pacers Training Staff Revamped...

    Quote Originally Posted by grace
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No I'm not a Bird fan. I lived in Terre Haute for more than 2 years and it did nothing to change my opinion of him.
    I guaran-sheed not everyone in Terre Haute is a fan. Since we do try to keep this site somewhat family oriented I really can't tell the story here. I'll pass it along at the forum party and it will either bring a smile to one's face or cause them to blow chunks.

  18. #18
    Harmonica
    Guest

    Default Re: Pacers Training Staff Revamped...

    Quote Originally Posted by grace
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No I'm not a Bird fan. I lived in Terre Haute for more than 2 years and it did nothing to change my opinion of him.
    Why don't you like Bird, if you don't mind me asking. Is it personal?

  19. #19
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Pacers Training Staff Revamped...

    Bird, originally through my folks buying me a tape about him around the start of the 90s, is the reason I became interested in the NBA as a child. I'll always "love" him for that, I guess. I don't worship at his altar, but I am a fan of his. I guess I get why he has many who "hate" him, but I think it's blown out of proportion.

  20. #20
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,055

    Default Re: Pacers Training Staff Revamped...

    Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why don't you like Bird, if you don't mind me asking. Is it personal?
    It has been covered before.

    http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=9648

  21. #21
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,959

    Default Re: Pacers Training Staff Revamped...

    I talked about this a while back, but there's no way you can blame any of our injuries on the training staff.

    JO's shoulder: You want to argue a dislocated shoulder is due too not stretching out properly? JO was in the best shape of his life coming into this season. It can be argued he put on too much muscle over the summer, but that was his decision, and hardly caused the injury.

    JB's knee and Jeff's hip: Both injured during the summer.

    Jamaal's foot: Misdiagnosis by multiple physicians. David Craig is not an MD, he follows what doctors tell him is the appropriate course to heal injuries. Plus, wouldn't you say that Jamaal might be maybe in a little better shape than when he came here?

    Reggie, AJ, and Freddie's broken hands: The only way to prevent this was to have them wear boxing gloves, which, correct me if I'm wrong, might have altered their shot a bit.


    Everybody knows I pay close attention to the coaching staffs during games. From personal experience, I can tell you David Craig has been a defacto assistant coach for the last 7 years, and probably a lot longer than that. It's obvious to anyone that pays attention that he loves being down there. I find it highly suspect that he'd want to be kicked upstairs, especially if he hasn't had the time to appropriately groom his successor.

    Two summers ago Larry overturned the coaching staff before any practice, let alone games, had been played. Last summer he finished his gutting of our scouting department. This summer it's the trainers. If I worked for PS&E, I'd be scared for my job right now.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  22. #22
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,959

    Default Re: Pacers Training Staff Revamped...

    Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, no hes not a doctor at all ................
    That *******'s gonna haunt me to my grave.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  23. #23
    foretaz
    Guest

    Default Re: Pacers Training Staff Revamped...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I talked about this a while back, but there's no way you can blame any of our injuries on the training staff.

    JO's shoulder: You want to argue a dislocated shoulder is due too not stretching out properly? JO was in the best shape of his life coming into this season. It can be argued he put on too much muscle over the summer, but that was his decision, and hardly caused the injury.

    JB's knee and Jeff's hip: Both injured during the summer.

    Jamaal's foot: Misdiagnosis by multiple physicians. David Craig is not an MD, he follows what doctors tell him is the appropriate course to heal injuries. Plus, wouldn't you say that Jamaal might be maybe in a little better shape than when he came here?

    Reggie, AJ, and Freddie's broken hands: The only way to prevent this was to have them wear boxing gloves, which, correct me if I'm wrong, might have altered their shot a bit.


    Everybody knows I pay close attention to the coaching staffs during games. From personal experience, I can tell you David Craig has been a defacto assistant coach for the last 7 years, and probably a lot longer than that. It's obvious to anyone that pays attention that he loves being down there. I find it highly suspect that he'd want to be kicked upstairs, especially if he hasn't had the time to appropriately groom his successor.

    Two summers ago Larry overturned the coaching staff before any practice, let alone games, had been played. Last summer he finished his gutting of our scouting department. This summer it's the trainers. If I worked for PS&E, I'd be scared for my job right now.
    its seems pretty obvious that craig was moved to the front office, unlike being fired like the strength coach, because of his long and dedicated service to the pacers....david will probably be as much of a fan favorite as any trainer can be....hes truly one of the really good stories in sports....

    but anytime someone gets moved up into the front office to a position to yet be determined....the writing is on the wall...

    larry is obviously not content with the overall health of the pacers the last two years, and whether rightfully so, is making a change, even if its just a change for change's sake.....

    at least those that often ask, 'what does larry do?' can at least have some answers....first the coaching staff, second the scouting dept and now the training?

    whats next?

    the players would not seem to be too much of a stretch...everybody duck....

    larry definitely wants to put his footprint on the team....and u have to admire him for that.....the team is gonna be a reflection of what he wants and how he envisions it....and if its not-he will change that too...

    lets just hope that footprint isnt squarely left on all of our backs....his track record seems to indicate hes usually pretty successful at what he does....but not without his detractors....lets hope this turns out the same way...

  24. #24
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,046

    Default Re: Pacers Training Staff Revamped...

    I've been auguring for three years now that Bird was in charge of who the Pacers hired, fired, picked, and traded for, but it's been an uphill battle convincing this board.

    Even though he was hired to do just that!

    Bird's his own man and can be a prick as has been established, so to argue he's not in charge has always seemed ridiculous to me.

    It's my thought that the reason the Pacer's bought RealGM's pro trade checker is so Larry Bird could see for himself who he could and could not trade for.

  25. #25
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,762

    Default Re: Pacers Training Staff Revamped...

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can't believe people actually get angry over this.


    Thank you

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •