you cant help but wonder if the rash of injuries, tinsley's situation this year, the bender situation, harrison, etc has anything to do with this....we were really banged up....these things happen....this year was really bizarre...and craig has been a stalwart with this organization....truly class act...u would think there would be nothing to it....

but still....it is a bit coincidental....especially since its the strength coach as well.....

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...15/1004/SPORTS

June 19, 2005

Pacers' trainer changes duties
Craig, a longtime member of staff, heads to front office; strength coach out.

By Mark Montieth
mark.montieth@indystar.com

The Indiana Pacers have made sweeping changes in their training room, replacing two veteran staff members.

Athletic trainer David Craig, a fixture with the franchise for 35 years, was reassigned to a front-office position. Bill Dean, the team's strength and conditioning coach for the past seven seasons, also will be replaced.

Josh Corbell, who joined the Pacers as an assistant athletic trainer last season, is expected to replace Craig.

Pacers president Larry Bird, who initiated the changes, and CEO Donnie Walsh could not be reached for comment.

The Pacers have had just two head trainers since their formation in 1967. Craig replaced Bernie Lareau before the 1970-71 season shortly after graduating from Purdue.

Craig, 57, said his new job title and description are "to be determined." He will oversee the team's medical operations, help Corbell with the transition and network with area doctors and hospitals. Craig described his change as a mutual decision.

"They've been good to me for 35 years," he said. "It's an opportunity for me to step back and let younger people do my job. It's a chance for me to not travel as often and still stay involved."

Craig, a native of West Lafayette, Ind., was the first president of the Indiana Athletic Trainers Association and was inducted into its Hall of Fame in 1995. He was the trainer for the Eastern Conference in the 1985 and 1996 NBA All-Star Games and was named the league's Athletic Trainer of the Year in 2003.

Dean expressed no harsh feelings.

"I heard it was nothing I did or didn't do," he said. "The team is just going to go in a different direction."