Thread: NBADraft.net: Garcia and Turiaf for Pacers

Default NBADraft.net: Garcia and Turiaf for Pacers

from NBADraft.net:
    http://www.nbadraft.net/draftbuzz044.asp

Stock Watch - Moving Up

Francisco Garcia -- If the Pacers hold onto their pick at 17, there's a very good chance they will take Garcia. With Reggie Miller having retired, they see Garcia as a very similar type of player who can grow into the role of clutch shooter offering offensive firepower.

and here's their latest mock:

http://www.nbadraft.net/index.asp
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

Default Re: NBADraft.net: Garcia and Turiaf for Pacers

Hell, I wouldn't mind getting Turiaf in the second round. He almost reminds me of a younger DD...Not much offensive power, but the guy is a monster on the boards, a great shot blocker and a pretty good one on one defender.

I didn't pay much attention to Garcia.

Garcia is good player, infact, he's one of my favorite college player. He's going to be a good fit for the Pacers, he's kind of like a Reggie Miller, good shooter, underrated defender, and will hit clutch shots. He got long arms, might not be the best athelet, but the guy have heart. Pacers have a history of drafting established college players, so Garcia would make sense, but I still think 17 is little too high for Garcia.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by wooolus
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Garcia is good player, infact, he's one of my favorite college player. He's going to be a good fit for the Pacers, he's kind of like a Reggie Miller, good shooter, underrated defender, and will hit clutch shots. He got long arms, might not be the best athelet, but the guy have heart. Pacers have a history of drafting established college players, so Garcia would make sense, but I still think 17 is little too high for Garcia.
    That is what we said about freddy

http://www.nbadraft.net/profiles/franciscogarcia.asp

I'm starting to really like this guy, I did see a few games. He could really excel in the Pro game. Only 9 days left to find out

Francisco Garcia
    Birthdate: 12/31/81
    NBA Position: Shooting Guard
    College: Louisville
    Class: Junior
    Ht: 6-7
    Wt:
    Hometown: Dominican Republic
    High School:
    Winchendon School
    Team Site Profile

NBA comparison: Reggie Miller

Strengths: The Latin Assassin can fill it up. Garcia has range on his 3 and gets it off quickly and often. Going into Louisville he had a reputation as a shooter but has added a number of dimensions to his game. He has excellent court vision. His work ethic and passion for the game brings an added edge to a team that won 18 games in a row. His heart is as big as they come as he proved with his back to back 24 point games in wins over Seton Hall and #1 Florida in the wake of his brother's passing. Garcia's defense has dramatically improved sincehe played prep school at Winchendon, as he led his team in blocked shots as a 2 guard last season.

Weaknesses: The knock on Garcia is that he is too skinny and weak. Rumor around NYC has people talking that Garcia has added 15 lbs of muscle since the season ended. Athletically Garcia isn't going to fly in and dunk you anyone but with his long body he can cover more ground than you would think. His on ball defense needs to improve to become a great defender at the next level. His in between game from 10-15 feet needs to get better because teams will take away his 3 in the NBA and he isn't able to get all the way to the hole to finish.

Notes: He holds Louisville University records in single game assists with 15 and single game 3 pointers made with 8.

I've thought Garcia's been underrated - and his workouts haven't been that great. But I don't care - it's what you do in games that matters and Garcia's a player.

Turiaf would be ideal for you - a big, strong post player who excels on defense and doesn't mind knocking folks around. Actually, I wouldn't mind us taking him at 30 even though we've got PF's out the whazzoo.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

I really want Turiaf. Garcia would be nice.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    I really want Turiaf. Garcia would be nice.
    I'm not familar with Turiaf's game, who could you compare it to?

foretaz

garcia at the 37 pick, if the pacers do indeed make the trade with the lakers, probably makes a lot more sense....17 seems to high to take him....then the question becomes if he will fall that low....some have him going at the end of the first round and others have him going in the second round....so who knows...

his stock does seem to be dropping, which if ur trying to get him at 37, isnt a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by fooddaman
    I'm not familar with Turiaf's game, who could you compare it to?

Brian Grant. He wont be as good as Grant was in his prime but their skill sets are comparable. Turiaf is also a great person off the court like Grant. He'll work his butt off and give a lot back to the community.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyMcPhearson
    Brian Grant. He wont be as good as Grant was in his prime but their skill sets are comparable. Turiaf is also a great person off the court like Grant. He'll work his butt off and give a lot back to the community.
    Then at that pick, sounds like a good pickup.

I'd have no qualms taking Garcia at 17, even if it is a minor reach according to so-and-so draft site. I'd say he has more upside than a Sean May. He's got less bust potential than a Hakim Warrick.

I mean, if it's a player you want, you know will fit, you know can be productive ... why gamble? Especially in the middle of the first round. This isn't the NFL, where trading down is like trading baseball cards as 9-years-old.

If the Pacers are to keep the pick, I say they have to take a college player that's done things in college that a) aren't just athletic mismatches (Warrick) b) have experience in truly leading a team and c) have shown poise, experience and heart.

That's why I like a Julius Hodge, a Francisco Garcia and a Jarrett Jack. They're not just athletic mismatches, through and through. They're players who've shown some savvy, some want-to, some know-how.

Or just draft a European and leave him over there. Whatever.

Also, you take Garcia, you don't need to re-sign James Jones. I like JJ, but it just wouldn't be necessary in my book ... at least not if you have to guarantee more money than you'd want to.

I'm of the club that says you can never have too many shooters. But you can have too many contracts. And Garcia's would be cheaper, by a bit.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Forget pick 17 the Pacers will not have it , the Bender trade will take care of that.

Personally I would not mind a player like Ryan Gomes at pick 37 , a 4 year starter at Providenxe he avg 18 ppg and 9 rpg over a 4 yr career.

Quote Originally Posted by fooddaman
    Then at that pick, sounds like a good pickup.

At 46 I dont think you could ask for much more.

Quote Originally Posted by diamonddave00
    Personally I would not mind a player like Ryan Gomes at pick 37 , a 4 year starter at Providenxe he avg 18 ppg and 9 rpg over a 4 yr career.
    I agree man. Ryan Gomes is being overlooked for some reason. I can't believe he isnt considered a first round talent by a lot of mock drafts. Must be because he's a senior and doesnt have as much "upside".

Fransico is going to be better than all the Garbage we will get from the Lakers... I say we do sign JJ, because Rick never tend to give rookies that much playing time, and he would be a good backup, in case Ron wants to work on his record again... And he probably needs to, because it's horrible.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    ...I don't care - it's what you do in games that matters...
    Then you should take note that Garcia completely disappeared in the biggest game of his life against Illinois in the Final Four.

With that being said, I'm not the kind of guy to judge a career on one bad game. But it was a very bad game and he had been brilliant in the tournament up to that point.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've always wondered why Garcia was falling so low. If the Pacers do pick him, I'll be happy with the pick.

I like this pick better than Mccants.... we need a good 3 pt shooter and i love players with heart...