Thread: More on Sarunas Jasikevicius

PacersFan

Default More on Sarunas Jasikevicius

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/3699310

El Mundo Deportivo reported that Maccabi Tel Aviv Simon Mizrahi has said that the hot Euro name Sarunas Jasikevicius has an offer from the Celtics. From everything we've heard, the Pacers have the inside edge on Jasikevicius ...

This looks pretty interesting. Do we have enough room for him on our roster if we do the Bender deal?

Default Re: More on Sarunas Jasikevicius

If we sign him and do the Bender deal, then JJ or DD will be gone. But they would probably cut Gill to make room for both JJ and DD so that way it would work out.

There sure is alot of hype about this guy, but i just have vague memories of the olympic games he played in. Is he really gonna be better than AJ or even E Gill? I have my doubts. I still think it takes a long time to get to know your team mates and learn the offensive defensive schemes. A couple years even. I think right now everyone is wantin to boost any possible new player, selling dreams and not reality.
    this probably isnt the thread for this question but im gonna put it here anyway

PacersFan

Burtrem, you may be right about it taking a while to learn offensive schemes, but this guy sounds exactly like what we need at PG. We have Tinsley who is a great PG, but has only played half the season for the past two years. We also have AJ who is pretty good defender, but not so great at creating shots for others or himself. By adding Sarunas we get another backup in case Tinsley goes down again and a guy who can create shots for himself and others. This is a pretty big need for our second unit because the ball really seems to stall a lot with them.

Think about Steve Nash, he learned those offensive sets in Phoenix pretty quickly. Now, I'm not saying Sarunas is anywhere near as good, but I really do like the guard play of most Europeans I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by PacersFan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Burtrem, you may be right about it taking a while to learn offensive schemes, but this guy sounds exactly like what we need at PG. We have Tinsley who is a great PG, but has only played half the season for the past two years. We also have AJ who is pretty good defender, but not so great at creating shots for others or himself. By adding Sarunas we get another backup in case Tinsley goes down again and a guy who can create shots for himself and others. This is a pretty big need for our second unit because the ball really seems to stall a lot with them.

Think about Steve Nash, he learned those offensive sets in Phoenix pretty quickly. Now, I'm not saying Sarunas is anywhere near as good, but I really do like the guard play of most Europeans I've seen.
    I don't mean to over-hype the guy, but I do in the sense that I also think he's just what we need. He's really into ball distribution, but has extremely solid three point range. Remember him lighting up shot after shot in the Olympics? World Chamionship? I forget right ow which it was, but I remember him trying to take over. I like that he can play the 2 and the 1 spot. Also, he's a veteran of sorts, rather than some young guy who may, or maynot, pay dividends down the road.

foretaz

and hes supposed to be a very good perimeter shooter whose not afraid to take big shots....i believe his career free throw percentage is better than reggies, if im not mistaken....i know i saw something recently about him shooting like 94% from the line last year...

foretaz

i also cant help but think there is a good possibility of us trading our first round pick away IF we were to sign Saras....he would definitely be the equivalent to adding a 1st round pick to the roster....to add two more guaranteed contracts to the roster seems a bit unlikely given our roster status and payroll...

it makes the bender to LA deal make a bit more sense as we would still have 2 picks but both of them would be second rounders....with the depth in this draft that still allows for the possibility of picking up a decent player or 2 to take a look at but without any committment, contract wise....and if a gem is found its still at a much reduced rate...

it also would seem to dictate a trade of aj....and as ive said before his trade value will probably never be higher...so thats not a bad thing....atlanta and houston are two teams that immediately jump out at me as needing a point guard....aj would probably be an improvement over most teams backup points and in some rare cases could challenge a starter...also would be a good addition to a young team with a young point guard...

Pacerforever247

A good pg hard to find ... But as always I still want freddy to play back role at point

He would be an upgrade over Gill and I would say over AJ as well. He can light it up and has experience.... even if it is European Exp. I think it is exactly what we need...some competition for the Point position.

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by Outsider
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He would be an upgrade over Gill and I would say over AJ as well. He can light it up and has experience.... even if it is European Exp. I think it is exactly what we need...some competition for the Point position.
    he seems to be a fierce competitor....it would be interesting to see how tinsley would respond to having him around.....i think it could definitely be a plus for the club....especially if hes brought in asap....make tinsley stay focused on getting into great shape.....knowing he might have a bit of competition in the backcourt to keep him sharp...