Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: After sending Paul George to the Thunder, where do the Pacers go from here?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: After sending Paul George to the Thunder, where do the Pacers go from here?

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I suppose the starting lineup is Turner, Thad, RGIII, VO, Lance.

Really poor shooting team. Defense might be interesting. The size in the backcourt and mobility of the bigs would allow a lot of switching. But with bad shooting and no go to guy the offense will be really bad.
    I think you'd either need to start Leaf instead of Thad and sign a point guard who could shoot because there's just not enough outside shooting there. IF GR3's your only shooter, you have problems.

I think a lineup of:

Point guard who can shoot
    Lance
    Oladipo
    Leaf
    Turner

could at least be fun to watch--even if they're a bit short on the wings.

Default Re: After sending Paul George to the Thunder, where do the Pacers go from here?

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    I think you'd either need to start Leaf instead of Thad and sign a point guard who could shoot because there's just not enough outside shooting there. IF GR3's your only shooter, you have problems.

I think a lineup of:

Lance
    Oladipo
    Leaf
    Turner

Oladipo at the 3? Nah, that spot is GR3's to lose unless the Pacers pick up a high priced player before the season starts. GR3 has a ton of upside, but even without saying that, he's a starter whether it's at the 2 or the 3. He's athletic, doesn't need the ball, can hit the 3, has the frame to be a plus defender and knows our system. Lance is either the starting point guard (my preference) or the 6th man. GR3 is starting.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning View Post
    The difference is PG had to be the focal point on offense and defence and usually drew the best defenders. I WILL give you the point about playing with Westbrook though...
    Wasn't Oladipo a focal point in Orlando, though? Just scanning over the Magic rosters from 13-14 to 15-16, there wasn't an obvious guy to pull a lot of the defense away from VO in those seasons, either. Certainly no stars, at least.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdStrike View Post
    Oladipo at the 3? Nah, that spot is GR3's to lose unless the Pacers pick up a high priced player before the season starts. GR3 has a ton of upside, but even without saying that, he's a starter whether it's at the 2 or the 3. He's athletic, doesn't need the ball, can hit the 3, has the frame to be a plus defender and knows our system. Lance is either the starting point guard (my preference) or the 6th man. GR3 is starting.
    I don't mind if GRIII wins a starting spot, but I don't think he's at the point where he can be safely penciled in.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Rogco View Post
    Oh, agreed. Also big difference in that PG had a couple years on one of the top two teams in the east with elite defenders around him and David West to help carry the offensive load. VO has been on some pretty **** teams. My point being the VO has played pretty well in tough circumstances. He has a history of being a team-first player that gives 100% effort and works hard to improve. IMO the Pacers next year will be a better-balanced team than he has ever played on, and he could shine. Last year was a mess for VO, and the year before that in Orlando that team was also an unbalanced mess.
    One encouraging thing I noticed is that not only was 36% from 3 VO's best to date, he did that while taking more attempts per game than ever before from out there (a little over 5 per game). So it's not like he slowed down from shooting it to get more efficient, he just shot better and shot more often.

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

As the team is constructed and the good FA's getting signed elsewhere. Pacers going straight to Lottoville on 123 High Pick Dr.
    Garbage players get 1st round picks, (WTF)! All of the NBA must hate the Pacers! LOL

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Paul George and Victor Olidipo's statistics through their first 4 seasons are almost completely identical.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...01&idx=players

I in no way believe that VO will wind up being as good as Paul George but he's in no way the scrub that some are making him out to be.

10. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Paul George and Victor Olidipo's statistics through their first 4 seasons are almost completely identical.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...01&idx=players

I in no way believe that VO will wind up being as good as Paul George but he's in no way the scrub that some are making him out to be.
    He may well be "the man" in Indy in terms of scoring. Let's see how he holds up when teams can focus on him as opposed to Westbrook. I know O did fine in Orlando.
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdStrike View Post
    There is no question that Lance will start on this team. The only question is if he will be PG. I don't think the Pacers have another option for PG who is remotely as good, so I fully expect my man to have the rock a lot. All the time probably. It will probably be the Lance Stephenson show out there.
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

FIRE PRITCHARD! TheDavisBrothers's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by brownjake43 View Post
    So Paul, an all star, has been a little more efficient than Oladipo.
    55.6% vs 52.7% is not "a little more efficient," not even close. To give you an idea of how not close those percentages are, last year the 14th best team in the league had a TS% of 55.6%, while the 28th and 29th best teams had 53.0% and 52.4%. If you think being 14/30 is anywhere close to being 28-29/30, than I guess by all means keep thinking Oladipo's **** don't stink...

16. The Following User Says Thank You to TheDavisBrothers For This Useful Post:

Undefeated

We sign Gordon! That would actually fill out the roster nicely. Lance, Victor, Gordon, Thad, Myles!
    Danger Zone

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    He may well be "the man" in Indy in terms of scoring. Let's see how he holds up when teams can focus on him as opposed to Westbrook. I know O did fine in Orlando.
    I was reading the thunder board and it sounds like he was their second option. They were a pretty good team 47 wins in the western conference. That being said, it sounds like they have their frustrations with him. They preferred him as more of a 4th option and mainly think he is not worth his contract. Magic fans say it seems like he regressed since going there. He's not proven to be very good at getting his teammates involved in the offense. He is regarded pretty highly on D. He had a poorly defined role in OKC - was never brought to really carry the offense so much. I saw some people say he would be a good 3 and D guy, contradicting what I've read on her about not being a good shooter.

In conclusion - he's a pretty good player. Plays good D, decent shooter. Just overpaid and not showing a lot of signs of improvement.
    Lifelong pacers fan

19. The Following User Says Thank You to pacers_heath For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I suppose the starting lineup is Turner, Thad, RGIII, VO, Lance.

Really poor shooting team. Defense might be interesting. The size in the backcourt and mobility of the bigs would allow a lot of switching. But with bad shooting and no go to guy the offense will be really bad.
    And we still have no one who can defend against a post player.
    Larry Bird qouted March 25th. 2015:

Bird: I wanted to keep our group together because in the summer, if David and Roy opt out, we're back to zero, really. We don't have that much, so you leave your options open. If we did make a trade, I didn't want to take on a lot of contracts -- because that's what usually happens. Plus, I liked my guys. They're playing well. If we keep the core together and Paul comes back healthy, we'll be right back to where we were.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by brownjake43 View Post
    So Paul, an all star, has been a little more efficient than Oladipo. I'm just lost as to why you're acting as if Oladipo is insanely inefficient with no other skill sets in one post and then compare him to Paul George in another. Oladipo creates his own shot a lot of the time. If you're just going to look at eFG CJ Miles was amazing last year! But you have to take shot creation into consideration atleast some when looking at advanced metrics.
    I'm not exactly sure what you are arguing here. No one (at least not me) said Dipo had no other skill set. I actually like the guy and while I think we could have probably gotten a better player back, I still think he will be a fairly nice piece going forward. My issue is when people use PPG as a means of justifying a players contributions. It is a worthless stat on its own without further context. Oh, and no matter what people around here like to believe, CJ Miles was pretty damn good last year.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Wage For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't like using TS% because it takes into consideration free throws, and I think refs are too bias for that to be a serious stat. eFG% I still like. Oladipo compares more favorably to PG there. In 15-16 PG's eFG% was .490 and Oladipo's was .489. Last season PG's was .533 and Oladipo's was .510. The real bright spot in this stat though is Oladipo has improved his eFG% by almost 2 percentage point every single season he has been in the league. If that trend continues he will most likely be as efficient from the floor next season as PG was last season.

If you look at non-advance stats shooting wise Oladipo is not all that different from PG. They have nearly identical career FG% 43.4 vs 43.2 advantage Oladipo. Career 2P% .470 vs 4.68 advantage Paul. Paul only has a significant advantage in 3P%.

From a percentage standpoint last season was easily Paul's best season, it was also Oladipo's best season. The thing is Oladipo's best season compares rather favorably to Paul's normal season since he took over the number one spot. The difference is Oladipo has made significant improvements every season since joining the NBA at a pretty consistent rate. Obviously that rate is bound to stop eventually, but if it continues into next season Oladipo's efficiency will be pretty similar to Paul's efficiency last season, which will be more efficient than Paul has been for most of his career.

None of this should be taken to mean I think Oladipo will be as good as Paul. None of this should be taken to mean I think Oladipo will be highly efficient. In fact, Paul's inefficiency for a star player has been one of my biggest complaints about him. All I am saying is if the trend continues I expect Oladipo to be on a similar level as Jeff Teague, but not as good as George Hill.

25. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

We have to remember that statically, PG-13 had his best season during his 7th season in the NBA. Gordon Hawyward too. A lot of players enter their prime around their 6th & 7th season. Olidipo has only played 4 seasons. It's very likely that he'll be better next year and the one afterwards.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

27. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    And we still have no one who can defend against a post player.
    Sabonis can hold his own against a post player. It's one of the few things that he can do well defensively (according to what I've read, at least). But I do agree that we need more than one big who can defend post players. Maybe Ike will be a part of the rotation? I'd certainly hope so.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

Quote Originally Posted by IrishPacer View Post
    Empty vessels make the most noise.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    Sabonis can hold his own against a post player. It's one of the few things that he can do well defensively (according to what I've read, at least). But I do agree that we need more than one big who can defend post players. Maybe Ike will be a part of the rotation? I'd certainly hope so.
    Ike is still too raw IMO. But certainly Domas is going to be the go to guy for post defense. And we still have Seraphin.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    Ike is still too raw IMO. But certainly Domas is going to be the go to guy for post defense. And we still have Seraphin.
    Yeah, it's possible that Ike is still too raw. Domas isn't such a bad fit with Myles as most people seem to think. He's quite strong and can guard the post. He was also a very good defensive rebounder in college. Neither of them can guard small-ball 4s, though, that's for sure.

Panopticon

I still think the best idea for this team would be to send Thad out in a trade if we can get any real value, and allow Sabonis and Leaf to get those minutes.

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

we're all in agreement that we're calling Sabonis Boner right?

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    I still think the best idea for this team would be to send Thad out in a trade if we can get any real value, and allow Sabonis and Leaf to get those minutes.
    I'm of that opinion as well. Thad is a nice player but Leaf and Sabonis need these minutes. Plus, Thad could possibly net us a young wing which we kinda need.

Panopticon

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post

I think a lineup of:

Lance
    Oladipo
    Leaf
    Turner

As long as Thad is on this roster he will start. He is way better than Leaf

39. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sabonis should start with Myles imo. The more time they have to develop chemistry the better. I think they'll be a really strong tandem.

41. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Gremz For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gremz View Post
    Sabonis should start with Myles imo. The more time they have to develop chemistry the better. I think they'll be a really strong tandem.
    Unless one of them drastically improves his pick and roll coverage, teams are just going to kill us with it when they're paired together.