Thread: Maybe Atlanta is not such a bad NBA city

Default Maybe Atlanta is not such a bad NBA city

I was surprised by this.

http://www.ajc.com/friday/content/ep...4a1b01012.html

Atlanta thinks NBA is fantastic
    Sekou Smith - Staff
    Friday, June 17, 2005

Atlanta may just be a basketball town after all. The NBA Finals are struggling for ratings, but not here.

ABC is on the verge of recording the second-lowest rated finals, with a chance to set an all-time low.

The Atlanta market, however, averaged a 10.4 rating through the first three games --- ranking as the fifth-highest-rated market outside of San Antonio and Detroit.

Tuesday's Game 3 was viewed by 7.2 percent of U.S. TV households, a 31 percent drop from Game 3 of the Pistons-Lakers series of a year ago.

Default Re: Maybe Atlanta is not such a bad NBA city

Yeah I guess it really shouldn't be a big suprise since it is there only time of the year they can watch good basketball.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well, remember how strong the Hawks franchise has been in the past. Its not like they've been bad for a long time.

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by IndyPacers67
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, remember how strong the Hawks franchise has been in the past. Its not like they've been bad for a long time.
    therein lies the irony of the high tv ratings....even when the hawks were good, they didnt draw well at all....

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by foretaz
    therein lies the irony of the high tv ratings....even when the hawks were good, they didnt draw well at all....
    Yep, I remember many times seeing the Omni Coliseum go empty in the days of Dominique Wilkins. Atlanta is just a bad sports town! Atlanta's saving grace is the Falcons, and that has a lot to do with Mr. Ronald Mexico...errrrrr....Michael Vick!

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome
    Yep, I remember many times seeing the Omni Coliseum go empty in the days of Dominique Wilkins. Atlanta is just a bad sports town! Atlanta's saving grace is the Falcons, and that has a lot to do with Mr. Ronald Mexico...errrrrr....Michael Vick!
    I gotta stick up for my home city.

You are forgetting about the Braves..They aren't to shabby. And as you've already stated, the Falcons are one of the most popular teams in the NFL just because Ron Mexico is the starting QB.

What does that leave..A poor basketball team and poor hockey team.. (Who watches Hockey besides Canadians)

Tons of teams have 2 good sport teams and 2 bad teams in their cities..IE New York, Etc Etc

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by Moses
    I gotta stick up for my home city.

You are forgetting about the Braves..They aren't to shabby. And as you've already stated, the Falcons are one of the most popular teams in the NFL just because Ron Mexico is the starting QB.

What does that leave..A poor basketball team and poor hockey team.. (Who watches Hockey besides Canadians)

Tons of teams have 2 good sport teams and 2 bad teams in their cities..IE New York, Etc Etc

problem with that is....when dominique was there....the braves hadnt reached their peak....the falcons sucked....and they didnt have a hockey team yet, if i recall....they had one of the flashiest, crowd pleasing superstars in the game and had some very good teams....and they couldnt draw squat.....they were one of the worst drawing teams with one of the best products on the court....

it made no sense....one of the most populated cites in the country cant draw fans....obviously the city is not a basketball town....

I think the deal is, all the players are all hudled down in Atlanta while the labor talks are going on. Mostly they are hangin out at the strip clubs but the do have cable in ATL, don't they?

All those rating numbers are from the players watching the games

Like theres basketball fans in Georgia......... really

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Slaughter
    I think the deal is, all the players are all hudled down in Atlanta while the labor talks are going on. Mostly they are hangin out at the strip clubs but the do have cable in ATL, don't they?

All those rating numbers are from the players watching the games

Like theres basketball fans in Georgia......... really
    Woah, I'm a fan in Georgia along with alot of my friends. Nobody cheers for the Hawks because they suck so bad and the stars we do have are complete ******** with the exception of Harrington and a bunch of the scrubs on the ATL bench. And contrary to rap songs you hear, There aren't that many strip clubs in Atlanta. But just because we have a ****ty basketball team doesn't mean we don't like basketball. We had Georgia Tech after all..But now that they lost their entire roster we are back in the abysmal pit of ****ty basketball on local channels.

And we used to have Blaylock, Steve Smith, and the entire gang back in the 90's plus nique earlier then that..So we haven't been bad for that long..Just the entire new millenium. I mean, You know your team is bad when you have 97 year old Kevin Willis playing 30 minutes a night for you.

And to Foretaz, The reason Atlanta doesn't draw that many crowds is because Phillips Arena turns into one giant cluster **** when there are alot of people there. I remember when the Arena sold out back when the Hawks made the playoffs and it took us 2 hours to get out of the parking lot. And on top of that, The Hawks aren't good enough for long enough to draw fans. We get one flashly player every decade.

foretaz

i did think this was kinda funny....i saw it on another website....

u can get season tickets to hawks games for $199

yes, thats right...a whole season of games....for just 200 bucks....

you gotta love it....

if im not mistaken, there might be HS games that cost that much to get into in indiana

Quote Originally Posted by foretaz
    i did think this was kinda funny....i saw it on another website....

u can get season tickets to hawks games for $199

yes, thats right...a whole season of games....for just 200 bucks....

you gotta love it....

if im not mistaken, there might be HS games that cost that much to get into in indiana
    The funny thing is, Nobody buys season tickets for the Hawks...Whether they are 200 dollars or 4 dollats.

PacersFan43

Basketball doesn't fit well with Atlanta and there city. however they do have the Braves but I wouldn't waste my cash on a Hawks game unless im starving to eat something in there place.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Woah, I'm a fan in Georgia along with alot of my friends. Nobody cheers for the Hawks because they suck so bad and the stars we do have are complete ******** with the exception of Harrington and a bunch of the scrubs on the ATL bench. And contrary to rap songs you hear, There aren't that many strip clubs in Atlanta. But just because we have a ****ty basketball team doesn't mean we don't like basketball. We had Georgia Tech after all..But now that they lost their entire roster we are back in the abysmal pit of ****ty basketball on local channels.

And we used to have Blaylock, Steve Smith, and the entire gang back in the 90's plus nique earlier then that..So we haven't been bad for that long..Just the entire new millenium. I mean, You know your team is bad when you have 97 year old Kevin Willis playing 30 minutes a night for you.

And to Foretaz, The reason Atlanta doesn't draw that many crowds is because Phillips Arena turns into one giant cluster **** when there are alot of people there. I remember when the Arena sold out back when the Hawks made the playoffs and it took us 2 hours to get out of the parking lot. And on top of that, The Hawks aren't good enough for long enough to draw fans. We get one flashly player every decade.

Phillips opened in 1999-2000, it has never seen the NBA playoffs.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Atlanta and basketball.

*sigh*

I could get into a whole big rant about how no one went to see the Braves until they won, and then suddenly everyone was a lifelong Braves fan ("Oh, really? I did'nt recall seeing you as one of us 2000 people who used to go to the games ...").

I could discuss how Atlanta is a city of newcomers who still root for their home-town teams (as one of them, I'm not about to say this is wrong )

I could talk about how the basketball coverage in Atlanta is often on one side of one page, but that would really reflect more on the Atlanta Urinal Constipation ... er ... Journal Constitution ... than it would on the city.

I like Philips - it has a unique layout that keeps you from having to look over the top of the luxury boxes when you have upper level seats. It is in a bit of a traffic hole, but this is Atlanta - the whole fargin' place is a traffic hole.

I am rather surprised the ratings for the finals are high here - it may be more of a reflection on the lack of ratings everywhere else.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

No, the story is they'll watch good basketball on tv, but wouldn't actually PAY to watch a game live. Not sure if it's income or just a sucky franchise, that's up for debate.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Jesus Shuttlesworth

The only good thing about Atlanta is that song "Welcome to Atlanta" by Ludacris and Jermaine Dupri

Quote Originally Posted by PacerFanAdam
    Phillips opened in 1999-2000, it has never seen the NBA playoffs.
    Well, Whatever the old Arenas name was..I really didn't pay attention to the hawks a whole lot back then and I usually only went to the games when they played the Pacers or the Charlotte Hornets.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Actually, there is more to Atlanta being a bad sports town then just the Hawks.

When the Hawks were good, the fans didn't show up! I know traffic is not pretty in the ATL, but it doesn't compare to Seattle WA, or definatly L.A.. Heck, the LA Clippers average over 14K and they play as the sucks that share the Arena with the Lakers, not to mention that they made the playoffs once in the last 20 years!

When the Hawks played at the Alexander Coliseum (cap. 5000) during the construction of Phillips, they couldn't even fill half the building!

Remember the Jerry Glanville era of the Falcons....they made the play-offs during that time, too bad Atlanta didn't really care.

As Bill S. mentioned, I remember the Braves didn't draw at all in Fulton County Stadium before they started winning.

I wouldn't knock the Thrashers...Their attendance is respectable as far as NHL franchises go!