Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Last night's game told me a couple of things...

Default Last night's game told me a couple of things...

One thing last night's game told me is that we're one player away from a trip to the finals. We need a consistent outside threat, someone who can spread the floor like Cro did in game 4.

Another thing it told me is that we shouldn't trade Ron, if at all possible. I've been on the fence about this since the season ended, but after watching last night's game, I'm pretty convinced Ron should remain a Pacer. If the Pistons win this series it will be because of their defense.

Al and some change should be able to net us a good perimeter shooter. The question is, who? And what caliber.

Default Re: Last night's game told me a couple of things...

I agree with what you said. One shooter away from WINNING the title, too.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

I agree, but I am curious as to why last night's game convinced you that artest should not be traded

I agree, but I am curious as to why last night's game convinced you that artest should not be traded.
    One word, UB: defense.

That's what will win this series for Detroit. And that's what will keep the Pacers and the Pistons competitve against each other and the West. Lose Ron, and we're just not the same defensively. I'd much rather keep him and trade Al for a consistent, up-and-coming shooter versus trade Ron for a superstar shooter and lose what he brings to the team defensively.

We didn't get blown out by Detroit. We had two key players injured and are lacking a consistent outside threat, as evidenced by Cro's performance in game 4. A tweak will do, not a major redirection of the team that trading Ron would bring.

sweabs

I agree, but I am curious as to why last night's game convinced you that artest should not be traded.

That's what will win this series for Detroit. And that's what will keep the Pacers and the Pistons competitve against each other and the West. Lose Ron, and we're just not the same defensively. I'd much rather keep him and trade Al for a consistent, up-and-coming shooter versus trade Ron for a superstar shooter and lose what he brings to the team defensively.

We didn't get blown out by Detroit. We had two key players injured and are lacking a consistent outside threat, as evidenced by Cro's performance in game 4. A tweak will do, not a major redirection of the team that trading Ron would bring.
    Ron has to stay. Defense is what will keep us competitve against the Pistons, and we just need a good SG who can knock down their shots and create off the dribble - that's it. I truly expect Ron to mature more over this offseason.

Yes. LA will not beat Detroit because of defense. Defense wins championships. And this is why, as Bullet has mentioned, why both us and det. will be competitive for awhile. And losing Ron would be detrimental.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

That's what will win this series for Detroit. And that's what will keep the Pacers and the Pistons competitve against each other and the West. Lose Ron, and we're just not the same defensively. [size=18:33210c62a2]I'd much rather keep him and trade Al for a consistent, up-and-coming shooter versus trade Ron for a superstar shooter and lose what he brings to the team defensively[/size].

Sing that from the mountain tops. Could not agree more

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

One thing last night's game told me is that we're one player away from a trip to the finals. We need a consistent outside threat, someone who can spread the floor like Cro did in game 4.

Another thing it told me is that we shouldn't trade Ron, if at all possible. I've been on the fence about this since the season ended, but after watching last night's game, I'm pretty convinced Ron should remain a Pacer. If the Pistons win this series it will be because of their defense.

Al and some change should be able to net us a good perimeter shooter. The question is, who? And what caliber.
    I think this is the first post ever I have to agree with what BP said , hell it maybe the last

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by bulletproof
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

hmmmmm.....going thru these archives can really prove to be interesting...

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Someone is browsing the archives here
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Hard to believe an incident like 11/19 can take a former fence sitter and cause him to jump to the other side....

Or an incident like a few days prior when he 'quit' on his team...

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    Hard to believe an incident like 11/19 can take a former fence sitter and cause him to jump to the other side....

-Bball
    Does that mean we should jettison Jack and JO as well? After all, they were just as bad, if not worse, than Ron during the brawl.

Harmonica

I'm starting to feel like Michael Douglas in Fatal Attraction.

But since we're dredging up old posts, let's see what I wrote, oh, yesterday...

Before I answer this, I want to clarify something. I've made my feelings about Ron (as a player) pretty well known, but I was willing to give him the benefit of doubt going into this season. I started having my doubts around the time he had his thumb surgery, but still maintained some hope that all the behind-the-scenes grumblings I was hearing were incidental in the bigger scheme of things. Even the ECFs didn't completely drag me down even though I knew he was being shopped last summer largely because of what was perceived to be an inability to handle the pressure of a deep playoff run. Watching the first 7 games of this past season was incredibly uplifting and when we shredded the defending champs on their own court, I was ecstatic.

That all evaporated when Ron charged into the stands.

Now, I sat there and watched the replays and wanted to find some modicum of comfort in what the commentators were saying that night by placing the blame largely on the fans. I really wanted to believe that...but it didn't sit right with me. Deep down I knew that our season had been destroyed and that the franchise's reputation had been sullied, and at the center of all that was none other than who else. And please pay particular attention to those last two words—Who else. Because that is where my chagrin lies.
    What does this tell me? Unlike some people on this forum, I have the ability to change my mind, which was the point of the thread I addressed to Skaut.

"Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then, I contradict myself.
    I am large,
    I contain multitudes."

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by Bball

-Bball
    Imagine that.

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    Does that mean we should jettison Jack and JO as well? After all, they were just as bad, if not worse, than Ron during the brawl.
    Jack and JO don't have the history Ron does. Their actions that night were isolated incidents.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    Jack and JO don't have the history Ron does. Their actions that night were isolated incidents.
    Maybe JO, but I wouldn't say that necessarily about Jack. I could easily see him blowing his stack again before Ron does.

Let's face it -- we are NOT a championship-caliber team w/o Ron (or, at least, with what we could get for him). We at least have a chance if Ron keeps his head screwed on.

Harmonica

Maybe JO, but I wouldn't say that necessarily about Jack. I could easily see him blowing his stack again before Ron does.

Let's face it -- we are NOT a championship-caliber team w/o Ron (or, at least, with what we could get for him). We at least have a chance if Ron keeps his head screwed on.

Pssst...I'll let you in on a little secret: Neither Detroit or San Antonio has Ron on their team and one of them will win the championship this year.

EDIT: Jack does not have the history Ron does.

Pssst...I'll let you in on a little secret: Neither Detroit or San Antonio has Ron on their team and one of them will win the championship this year.
    Detroit has five all-stars in their starting line-up.

SA has two superstars in their line-up.

We don't have the former, but we can have the latter w/Ron.

And the only reason one of those teams will win is because we didn't have Ron in our line-up, either.

Mood

OK, I'm getting tired of that argument. Let's compare, shall we?

Detroit
    Ben
    Rashweed
    Prince
    Rip
    Billups

San Antonio
    Nazr
    Duncan
    Bowen
    Manu
    Parker

Indiana
    DD
    JO
    (anyone we could get for Ron)
    Jack
    Tins

They don't have Ron but they do have multiple allstar callibre players. We would not have another great player to go with JO if we didn't have Ron. So give it up with the "you can win a championship without ron artest." We know that but we think Ron is the only player we can get/keep that puts us up there with Detroit and San Antonio.

EDIT: Darnit. Shade said the same thing only better already.

And the only reason one of those teams will win is because we didn't have Ron in our line-up, either.
    They do not have 5 all-stars in their lineup. They have 2 or 3 at the very most. Calling Ben Wallace an all-star is a stretch. He's a great shot blocker and rebounder..But that doesn't make him an all-star. You can't call Prince an all-star either because he really can't create his own shot..The only reason people misnomer them as all-stars is because they play good team ball and get eachother involved. The only 2 players on that team I would consider all-stars are Chauncey and Rip. Rasheed is way to inconsistent.

Harmonica

Oy-vay.

Tell you what, seeing as I have demonstrated the ability to change my mind, if the Pacers decide to keep Ron and he gets through the entire season without any disruptions or inidents, and he keeps his head in the ECFs, I'll jump right back up on the fence about him. Maybe I'll even jump all the way to the other side. That's my promise to you.

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by Pig Nash
    So give it up with the "you can win a championship without ron artest."
    No. And if you're paying attention, you'll see that Shade is sidestepping the real point of this discussion with ancillary arguments.

Oy-vay.

Tell you what, seeing as I have demonstrated the ability to change my mind, if the Pacers decide to keep Ron and he gets through the entire season without any disruptions or inidents, and he keeps his head in the ECFs, I'll jump right back up on the fence about him. Maybe I'll even jump all the way to the other side. That's my promise to you.
    I'll just ask you this much:

Do you believe the Pacers are a championship contender, right now, w/o Ron? How about w/Ron?

No. And if you'll pay particular attention, you'll see that Shade is sidestepping the real point of this discussion with ancillary arguments.
    Other teams can win the championship without Ron because they have other stars in his place. We don't. Our current team, with Ron, is a championship contender. Our current team, without Ron, is not.

Harmonica

I'll just ask you this much:

Do you believe the Pacers are a championship contender, right now, w/o Ron? How about w/Ron?
    See post above yours.