Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Default Re: PG TRADED TO OKC

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    GUYS

Kevin Pelton:
    *Sigh* I'm trying to feel positive about this trade, now this big *sigh*
    Garbage players get 1st round picks, (WTF)! All of the NBA must hate the Pacers! LOL

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacer Fan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    The one person who'd rather get a **** return just to be able to laugh on a message board
    I'm sure your sources are telling you all the sick deals Boston laid out for PG.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Monta and Al are kinda like the new Murphleavy except the team willingly signed them both.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    yeah, that's an interesting thought. Dipo and Lance could probably handle the 2/3 spots between them...shooting's a bit scary though
    Yeah a bit. The three probably have a 35% average between 'em. It would be middling. Actually the entire starting lineup probably averages 35% from three.
    "man, PG has been really good."

Kevin Pelton's trade grades:

http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/stor...eorge-deal-nba

Oklahoma City Thunder: A

In theory, trading for George with one year remaining on his contract is supposed to be a risk. But the Thunder gave up so little that this doesn't really feel like one. In the worst-case scenario, George walking away in a year, they end up with a cleaner cap sheet moving forward.

Because Oladipo actually makes more than George this season, Oklahoma City also cuts its payroll by about $4 million. That's important breathing room with regard to the luxury tax. The Thunder are currently about $7-8 million away with 11 players on the roster. Re-signing restricted free agent Andre Roberson or unrestricted free agent Taj Gibson will almost certainly push Oklahoma City into the tax, but the bill should be a little more manageable. It's also that much easier for the Thunder to duck the tax with a midseason move.

So how good is the team Oklahoma City has built for 2017-18? It's almost certainly not as good as the Thunder team that came within a game of the NBA Finals two years ago with Kevin Durant at small forward. George, as good as he is, is no Durant.

There's also a glaring hole at power forward, barring Gibson's return. Billy Donovan's current options are Jerami Grant, Josh Huestis and Doug McDermott, or playing Steven Adams and Enes Kanter together. (Small-ball lineups with Roberson, George and Alex Abrines alongside Westbrook and Adams could also be interesting.)

Still, this trade puts Oklahoma City back in an increasingly crowded Western Conference mix. My initial assessment is the Thunder belong in the conference's third tier along with the Minnesota Timberwolves, with the Golden State Warriors in a tier of their own and the Houston Rockets and San Antonio Spurs in tier two. Compared to where Oklahoma City was at the end of last season, that's a jump as impressive as it was improbable.

Indiana Pacers: D-

Perhaps I'm dramatically overestimating the trade value of star players, but it feels like I could copy over much of my analysis of last week's Jimmy Butler trade and apply it here.

Yes, George's agent telling the Pacers he planned to sign with the L.A. Lakers as a free agent next summer and wouldn't remain in Indiana no matter what put the team in a tough position. No, we don't know what other offers were out there for George, who might not have had the value as a rental that his ability on the court would imply.

Nonetheless, to come away with a package similar to but worse than the one Oklahoma City got for Serge Ibaka last summer (when Ibaka was entering the final year of his contract) is a failure, as I see it.

Let's start with Oladipo, presumably the centerpiece of this trade for the Pacers. He's a useful player at a thin position in the league. He's also signed for $21 million a year over the next four seasons and has never in his career posted a league-average true shooting percentage.

Through age 25, Oladipo looks like a volume scorer with better than average defense for a player of that ilk. His most impressive feat to date is probably his solid usage rate last season -- using 29.5 percent of the Thunder's plays while Russell Westbrook was on the bench, per NBA.com/Stats, with not-atrocious .518 true shooting. (League average was .552.)

A player's value in a trade is determined by his production on the court minus his salary. If Oladipo is fairly paid, he should have essentially neutral trade value. If he's in fact overpaid -- and my multiyear projections suggest he is, by about $16 million over the next three seasons -- than he should actually have negative value.

Then there's Sabonis. An important lesson of both the Butler and George trades is the value lottery picks continue to have even after it's clear their performance doesn't measure up to expectations. Like Kris Dunn, part of the return in the Butler trade, Sabonis was ineffective as a rookie. In fact, his 3.3 wins worse than replacement level by my WARP metric were the league's third-lowest total, ahead of only fellow rookies Brandon Ingram and Isaiah Whitehead.

It's possible Sabonis was miscast in a Thunder starting lineup short on 3-point shooting. Sabonis operated as something of a stretch 4 and rarely ventured inside, attempting just two free throws in the season's first 26 games (all starts). After a strong month of November, Sabonis shot just 29-of-110 (26.3 percent) from beyond the arc the remainder of the season.

Playing alongside stretch-5 Myles Turner may afford Sabonis more ability to play down low, where he was effective at Gonzaga. But Sabonis is heavily reliant on his left hand, which caused problems when defenders read the scouting report. He shot just 38.5 percent on post-up plays, per Synergy Sports tracking, and wasn't particularly effective in the pick-and-roll. Even the most optimistic assessment must concede Sabonis isn't as valuable as he looked when he was drafted No. 11 overall a year ago.

And that's it. The Pacers were unable to come away with any draft picks and will have to hope to build around an Oladipo-Turner core in the summer of 2018, when they can have $50-plus million in cap space if they waive Monta Ellis and Al Jefferson (stretching the latter's $4 million guarantee) and Thaddeus Young declines his player option.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

my boss is a MASSIVE IU stan whose also what I consider a knowledgeable NBA fan. we've talked about the PG deal plenty. his reaction on Monday is going to be a measuring stick.

Was this the work of our new GM hired like yesterday? (All I'll say). Dude's already on the hot seat

Quote Originally Posted by rock747 View Post
    OMG I JUST REMEMBERED WE STILL HAVE MONTA ELLIS
    Dipo yet another combo that cannot shoot
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    Monta and Al are kinda like the new Murphleavy except the team willingly signed them both.
    Luckily they are on much shorter contracts.

Does Sabonis at least project to be decent? Dipo sucks so there has to be some sort of silver lining.

"I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

Blah, this feels like that Christmas where all my parents got me were a globe and a bible.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

FIRE PRITCHARD! TheDavisBrothers's Avatar
    Mood

The more I think about this trade the worse it seems! Even if Boston wasn't offering the world for PG like some reports, I would have still taken Crowder (who's on one of the best contracts in the entire league) and even just one first over Oladipo and his garbage contract!

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    Was this the work of our new GM hired like yesterday? (All I'll say). Dude's already on the hot seat
    Nah, 100% Pritchard's call.

Quote Originally Posted by rock747 View Post
    Good for you. Nothing helps you get over losing the best player in franchise history like some good department store shopping!

I'me heading to Big Lots.
    I don't think that's what he meant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LongTimePacerFan View Post
    I honestly would have preferred Bradley and Crowder with no picks to this deal.

I also would have taken the Denver offer of Faried and Mudiay, or whatever it was.

Hell, I would have taken what the Rockets gave up for Chris Paul over this deal.

There are probably 20 other offers the Pacers got that I would have taken over this deal.
    None of those deals moves you towards Cleveland or Golden State. Best thing to do is take it to the ground and build back up. I would've liked a pick, but it is what it is. I don't think Pritch would have rejected markedly better deals if they were truly there.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to NapTonius Monk For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    This does look suspiciously like a "Get a local guy to sell a few tickets while the team stinks for the immediate future" trade. We couldn't get any draft picks?

Perhaps not, the Pacers FO was in a terrible bargaining position, we all knew that.

I will say I've heard a few analysts say Oladipo's development and use while playing alongside Westbrook wasn't handled well by the OKC coaches, and could do a lot better out of that one man show environment.
    They pretty much say the same thing for the entire team. It's one of the reason why I think Oladipo will work out. It could still have untapped potential.

Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?

Mood

Once again, this forum has provided enough knee jerk reaction to help me cope, so again, thank you all.

I'm REALLY disappointed we couldn't score any draft picks here.

Oladipo and Sabonis are alright, other than Victor's contract being a bit hefty. I had hoped to avoid anything over two years. But he's young and definitely a role player, so it could be worse. Obviously the jury is out on Sabonis, but if he flops, we let him walk or trade him. If he excels, great! Likely another role player! And if we can get his dad on the coaching staff, best move ever, lol.

Bummer that Boston didn't want to play ball. Was hoping for one of those good picks, but if Ainge wasn't going to come off his pot of gold (see what I did there?) then them's the breaks, kid.

Here's a couple questions, hopefully we can redirect this huge pity party and fan-bra burning into some semblance of discussion:

How good is OKC this year? IMO, Russ is exactly the guy PG needs to play beside. Although, if he's not getting the glory, he might throw a fit. But man, there's some serious talent there. Anybody planning to follow them to see how PG does?

Second, and more importantly, what does this mean for the Pacers cap space? I'm not excited to sign Jrue Holiday for 4-5 years. I'd rather go for a cheaper option and maintain some flexibility. Capping ourselves out now would be a mistake.
    Last edited by pizza guy; 06-30-2017 at 11:42 PM.
    It's a new day for Pacers Basketball.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Dipo yet another combo that cannot shoot
    You have a funny definition of cannot shoot.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    I don't think that's what he meant.

I know
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to rock747 For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

For all of you want Pritchard to get fired. It was Bird who should have gotten fired if he didn't take that Boston deal at the trade deadline. Oh wait... he did get fired for it.

I guarantee you all Boston was offering was lottery protect picks and Jae Crowder and Zeller. LAL were offering 27/28 and Clarkson. And we had no other deals. We missed out on the deals when Bird wouldn't trade him.

Bird screwed us. Not the NBA. Not Prtchard. Not Ainge. Not Paul George.....well yes he did screw us.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

This board has spent years jerking off over guys like Ramon Sessions and is *****ing about Victor Oladipo when our backs were against the wall. Truly incredible.

32. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

I don't understand what the rush was. Could we have not at least waited on a deal like this? Was it going anywhere? It's not like we saved cap to make a run in free agency or something. Should've at least let Hayward sign somewhere and see if other teams would get antsy like Boston.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Is Burlington coat factory still open in castleton. I'm getting in my car right now
    Say hi to Tim for me!

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

Wow you mean we didn't even have to give up a draft pick to get this done...Pritchard is a genius!

38. The Following User Says Thank You to TheDon For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Targaflorio View Post
    Unfortunately neither is a reliable outside shooter.
    Ok? This small ball jack up 40 3s a game nonsense will soon come to an end. The inconsistency in today's NBA is directly related to the over reliance on outside shooting, which is naturally a more unreliable shot. For game to game consistency, give me a great mid range shooter/slasher any day over a spot up/off the dribble pull up 3 point shooter. The best shooting guards in NBA history also happen to be 5 of the best mid range shooters and slashers in league history.