Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pacers with star potential. Conrad's Q&A

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers with star potential. Conrad's Q&A

Quote Originally Posted by SjA3837
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My point was, there's always this talk of potential for Bender and everyone else; but were yet to get win a championship.

I'm just tired of being that team that has the potential of being a championship caliber team, but never is. It's been this way with the Colts, and the Pacers. It's just frusterating!
    Yeah, stoopid Poners...
    "I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right."

BustedPants

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    I posted the same thing 3-4 years ago - the day after the Pacers were eliminated by NJ.

It was obvious then that Bender would never make a player in this league unless he turned into a post player. He never had the athleticism to play on the perimeter - Prince does.
    I don't know how you expect Bender to be a post player? The key to being a post player isn't just height and long arms--- you have to be able to keep a guy behind you with your body mass, which Bender does not have. On the other hand, Bender can dribble for a non-point guard, is fast, and has a couple athletic spin moves that gets him to the basket while being guarded from the perimeter.

This trade isn't as horrible as it is made out to be. Both guys are in contract years... Bender still has two years left. I don't really want to make the trade, but it's not like we are getting screwed. Bender has potential, but if he gets hurt next year, the only positive is that the 06-07 year is his final.

BustedPants

Quote Originally Posted by SjA3837
    My point was, there's always this talk of potential for Bender and everyone else; but were yet to get win a championship.

I'm just tired of being that team that has the potential of being a championship caliber team, but never is. It's been this way with the Colts, and the Pacers. It's just frusterating!
    I believe that you have stated you are still in high school. If so, then I understand your post. Just don't let yourself forget how mediocre the Pacers were for years and how horrible the Colts were. Watching a team get close every year is tough, but it's much more entertaining than listening to your fan base cheer for loses because they want the next year's first pick. By no means am I saying that a team or its fans should be content with playoff success and no title, but Indiana teams are legit now, and it will be only a matter of time until they do get a title.

Quote Originally Posted by BustedPants
    I don't know how you expect Bender to be a post player? The key to being a post player isn't just height and long arms--- you have to be able to keep a guy behind you with your body mass, which Bender does not have.
    Yup - that's why it's pretty obvious that Bender was a bust. But if someone like KG can operate in the post there's always a chance - and nobody ever had a chance to find out.

What else would you try to do with a 7-foot player who couldn't defend a perimeter player to save his life, couldn't take the ball inside without either getting it stripped or being called for a charge, couldn't shoot from outside under pressure, and is 7' tall and can jump out of the building?

He certainly never had a chance of playing on the perimeter - not unless he developed enough of a post-up game to force other teams to use a PF on him.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Quote Originally Posted by PacerNthaDesert
    Jeff Foster and Ben Wallace shouldn't ever be compared, that's ridiculous IMO

Hello

The comparison can be made because it is based on potential. If you followed the NBA when Ben Wallace started, Ben Wallace shooting air balls was a constant highlight on ESPN' sportscenter.(in his washington days)

Quote Originally Posted by pacerwaala
    Hello

The comparison can be made because it is based on potential. If you followed the NBA when Ben Wallace started, Ben Wallace shooting air balls was a constant highlight on ESPN' sportscenter.(in his washington days)
    Now it's filled with Darko's career highs of 8 points and 4 rebounds.

On another note, Why should we give up our first round pick and Bender for George and Medvedenko? We are basically giving away our first round pick to get Benders contract off our hands. I personally would rather wait one last year on Bender and see if anything happens. After all, The guy holds the record for the most points scored in the High School all american game..Which doesn't tell you a ton..But it does tell you the guy definitely has crazy skills. So one more year, Then we dump Bender and give up on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus Shuttlesworth
    The only players who aren't considered stars yet (Artest, O'Neal, maybe Jackson) that have the potential to be stars are Fred Jones and Jamaal Tinsley and MAYBE David Harrison.....James Jones and Jeff Foster = stars??? I think not.

IMO, I think that JJ has monster potential, Reggie potential.We really need to hang on to him before he develops somewhere else.

Jeff Foster- The only reason that Jeff isn't a star is because he doesn't have the name or the high profile team. Let's face it, the Pacers aren't the Knicks, the Lakers, the Celtics, or even the 76ers for that matter. The Pacers just don't have the visible history or name to have anybody on the team to be considered a star.

Foster is an awesome rebounder, really the only word that can be used is awesome. He has great defense and shot blocking capabilities. The only problem, besides not being a high profile player, is he doesn't have quite the offensive consistency that one might see in a Shaq. Foster is a very Tim Duncan-esque player, he has all these great qualities, but will never get the recognition he deserves.
    Life without water is tough, life without air is hard,life with one leg only is wobbly, Life without Reggie Miller, is impossible.

Do Not Trade Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Brunner
    Veteran Austin Croshere, the longest-tenured Pacers player on the roster, has proven reliable when called upon, invariably ready to step in regardless of the circumstance.

3ptmiller

Quote Originally Posted by 8.9_seconds
    IMO, I think that JJ has monster potential, Reggie potential.We really need to hang on to him before he develops somewhere else.
    I absolutely agree, JJ has "IT".. believe me i have never been wrong... well, ive been wrong only once (i thought Harold Minor had "IT"). He maybe needs to develope more.. if JJ just get more minutes you will see magic! Because if you look at his Game-by-Game statistics you will see that in every game he played with many minutes this season he scored over 25 pts and with high accuracy!