Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pacers with star potential. Conrad's Q&A

Default Pacers with star potential. Conrad's Q&A

This is interesting. Conrad makes some pretty strong statements here.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/question_050617.html

Q. When watching basketball, I look at all the players to see what players have the ability to be great if they stepped up their game. When I looked at Jeff Foster, I thought he could become a spitting image of a Ben Wallace type of player. They both are relentless on the boards, they both can score if they have to but prefer to be defensive players. And, if Foster works on his shot-blocking ability and is consistent like he was in the playoffs, I think Foster could become the next Wallace. Do you see any players on this team who, if they stepped up their games, could become great, and what do they need to work on to become that? (From Bobby in Eugene, OR)

A. On pure ability alone, the player who jumps to mind is Jonathan Bender. Take Tayshaun Prince, make him five inches taller, give him a better post game, more range on his jump shot and quite a bit more athleticism and you have what Bender could become a game-changing force who would cause matchup nightmares for every team in the NBA. Of course, the asterisk is, and always has been, his health. When knee problems cost a young player the better part of two seasons, it's a serious situation. It remains to be seen if Bender will be able to contribute in 2005-06 or what, if any, plans the team has for him.

I agree that Fred Jones has qualities within his game that could lead to stardom, but he needs to work on a couple of areas: his left hand and defensive intensity. Fred already has improved his jump shot, which was considered his primary weakness entering the NBA. Now, he must develop some left-handed moves to keep defenders off balance. He also lost some of his defensive tenacity last season, perhaps because of the unexpected wear-and-tear on his body.

Foster is a different body type than Wallace, longer, leaner and less muscular, but they do have similar styles. Where Wallace is a primarily physical force, Foster tends to rely on his quickness and athleticism. If Foster could develop a reliable mid-range jump shot, either from the baseline or the key, and become a more physical player, he could actually be a little better than Wallace.

Two other players have true star potential: Jamaal Tinsley and David Harrison. Tinsley is one of the most skilled point guards in the league but has to continue to grow out of some old, bad habits in terms of shot selection and decision-making. He also must maintain his commitment to conditioning throughout the season, take care of his body and make sure he can be as strong as possible at the end of the year. Harrison has the size, strength and touch to be a very good low-post threat and is an instinctive shot-blocker, as well. His areas of emphasis are on footwork, which will help him avoid foul trouble while improving his ability to get better post position, and conditioning.

PacerNthaDesert

Default Re: Pacers with star potential. Conrad's Q&A

Jeff Foster and Ben Wallace shouldn't ever be compared, that's ridiculous IMO

Quote Originally Posted by PacerNthaDesert
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Jeff Foster and Ben Wallace shouldn't ever be compared, that's ridiculous IMO

I do think they should be compared. Ben is obviously better, but they have some similarities

Dunno what game Conrad's watching but Bender does NOT have more athleticism than Prince. He can jump higher - or could - but that's about it. Prince has more lateral quickness, quicker feet, a more explosive first step, quicker hands, is a better ballhandler - other than jumping ability there's not a single area of athleticism where I'd consider Bender to be close to Prince.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    Dunno what game Conrad's watching but Bender does NOT have more athleticism than Prince. He can jump higher - or could - but that's about it. Prince has more lateral quickness, quicker feet, a more explosive first step, quicker hands, is a better ballhandler - other than jumping ability there's not a single area of athleticism where I'd consider Bender to be close to Prince.
    It's been too long since you've seen a healthy JB, then. I'd classify Prince as an above average athelete, whereas I'd put a healthy JB in the top 5% in the league.

On pure ability alone, the player who jumps to mind is Jonathan Bender. Take Tayshaun Prince, make him five inches taller, give him a better post game, more range on his jump shot and quite a bit more athleticism and you have what Bender could become a game-changing force who would cause matchup nightmares for every team in the NBA. Of course, the asterisk is, and always has been, his health. When knee problems cost a young player the better part of two seasons, it's a serious situation. It remains to be seen if Bender will be able to contribute in 2005-06 or what, if any, plans the team has for him.
    Health is only one asterisk for Bender - mental toughness is the other.
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by blanket

He's actually played long enough to be a mentally challenging situation?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This just makes me all the more pissed about the trade rumor with the Lakers.

Jesus Shuttlesworth

Give him one more year!

Sucks we are about to trade him and our first rounder for Deven George and Medvedenko

SjA3837

Potential, potential, potential... sure has helped us so far.

Quote Originally Posted by SjA3837
    Potential, potential, potential... sure has helped us so far.
    Jermaine O'Neal, Ron Artest, Fred Jones, James Jones, Jamaal Tinsley, Jeff Foster

Yeah, I'd say potential has done pretty good for us lately.

Jesus Shuttlesworth

Getting rid of Bender would be equivalent to *that's enough vulgarness*, because that to has potential wants it starts getting PT

It wasn't bad, it was a joke...come on..this place needs to lighten up...I mean come on we are talking about the Pacers on the internet, where is the seriousness in that?

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    Jermaine O'Neal, Ron Artest, Fred Jones, James Jones, Jamaal Tinsley, Jeff Foster

That wasn't potential, that was actually DOING SOMETHING. Potential is simply the possibility of doing something.

Yeah but their potential butts are out on the court, rather than the potential butt constantly on the seat
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    That wasn't potential, that was actually DOING SOMETHING. Potential is simply the possibility of doing something.
    We took a chance on the "potential" of all of those players, especially JO.

Far be it for me to defend Bender, but the statement was just inaccurate.

I'm just a bit touchly lately because I'm on the verge of being another year older.

Jesus Shuttlesworth

The only players who aren't considered stars yet (Artest, O'Neal, maybe Jackson) that have the potential to be stars are Fred Jones and Jamaal Tinsley and MAYBE David Harrison.....James Jones and Jeff Foster = stars??? I think not.

Mood

Yeah, but the point is they delivered. Bender didn't, and isn't likely to.

Jesus Shuttlesworth

Well him and the 17th will always have more potential than George and Slava, as long as they are still breathing.

I'm just a bit touchly lately because I'm on the verge of being another year older.
    Take all of your efforts and add it to the Ronnie effort, and you will be in great shape
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus Shuttlesworth
    Well him and the 17th will always have more potential than George and Slava, as long as they are still breathing.
    Agreed. We're not making this trade for potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Eindar
    It's been too long since you've seen a healthy JB, then. I'd classify Prince as an above average athelete, whereas I'd put a healthy JB in the top 5% in the league.
    I posted the same thing 3-4 years ago - the day after the Pacers were eliminated by NJ.

It was obvious then that Bender would never make a player in this league unless he turned into a post player. He never had the athleticism to play on the perimeter - Prince does.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

SjA3837

My point was, there's always this talk of potential for Bender and everyone else; but were yet to get win a championship.

I'm just tired of being that team that has the potential of being a championship caliber team, but never is. It's been this way with the Colts, and the Pacers. It's just frusterating!

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    I posted the same thing 3-4 years ago - the day after the Pacers were eliminated by NJ.

It was obvious then that Bender would never make a player in this league unless he turned into a post player. He never had the athleticism to play on the perimeter - Prince does.
    i cant help but wonder what ur basing this on....i can only assume its the fact that ur speaking defensively guarding a 2.....however bender is a nitemare for anyone IF HEALTHY.....offensively hes almost unguardable.....no perimeter defender is nearly tall enuff to handle a jumpshot or a postup...so he just shoots over them.....no bigger defender is nearly quick enuff to guard him so he takes them to the perimeter and if they lay back he pops it....if they try to defend a shot attempt, he goes around them....that clip from the ECF of b. wallace attempting to guard him is a perfect example....

his one big things was strength going into this year....the ECF showed his lack of strength when going into a swarm of defenders , with regards to being able to hang onto the ball.....he noticeably put on muscle to address that, unfortunately his knee issues have prevented us from ever seeing the end result....

as far as defensively speaking, his lateral defensive speed isnt spectacular, though his length can forgive alot of sins.....if hes guarding a backcourt player he might struggle a bit....however, what he provides u in the way of jumping ability, length and shotblocking are tools that can certainly be used on the defensive end....

all of this is moot however, if he cant get on the court for any length of time whatsoever, due to injuries...

Quote Originally Posted by blanket
    Really? And what would you know about it personally? Don't even count what you read here.