Thread: Any Scientologists in the house!!??

Question Any Scientologists in the house!!??

I just realized I don't know anyone who's a scientologist. Reason I ask is that I saw a news story on Tom Cruise and his devotion to Scientology and how Katie Holmes finds it interesting. It got me to thinking, "I have absolutely no idea what Scientology is about."

So I decided to educate myself. I think I have a really solid grasp of what it's about, but one question kept nagging at me as I read information about it:

Where did Hubbard come up with his beliefs, er scratch that, in his terms, his FACTS about just about anything involved with Scientology?

I look at Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism, etc, and they all have one thing in common: sacred texts. Where did Hubbard supposedly get his information from. (I'm refering in part to body thetans and the whole reason they exist.) It seems most religions have some kind of tangible proof in the foundation of it's existance, whether it's relics or scrolls or sacred ground. Scientology has none of this.

I'm just scratching my head a bit wondering how a guy all of a sudden comes up with a "religion" with no support for his claims, and people just fall in with him.

Anyone on here a Scientologist or have any experience with Scientology? I'm really curious about some aspects of it. It sprung from Dianetics, but Dianetics seems to be just plain old common sense. I don't need a book to teach me that.

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Any Scientologists in the house!!??

Scientology, even more kookier than the Mormon religion...

Hehe.

Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Scientology, even more kookier than the Mormon religion...

Hehe.

Just my opinion.
    Oh, yeah, insult someone's religion. THAT will make them want to open up and answer my questions.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

He really really doesn't like the company I work for. We make meds for psychosis of various types. He feels mental illness cures should all come from within. While I feel that alot of over prescribing occurs...there are some truely sick people that medication benefits.

What I remember from way back when...he developed his concepts while sitting in prison. Charges ????? I can't remember, but they should be public record.

What tells me alot is that so many of the Hollywood types buy into his "philosophy".
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Nerd.
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech
    Oh, yeah, insult someone's religion. THAT will make them want to open up and answer my questions.
    It wasn't an insult; it was more of a joke and observation.

Go here for a quick basic read.

http://faq.scientology.org/contents.htm

Zesty

I actually did some reading about this earlier today, and of course found some very good information at the wikipedia entry for it.

I think these people are completely bonkers. (Though, honestly, Christianity and any other religions are completely bonkers to me as well, so whatever.) I mean come on -- just look at this:

Those that reach the higher teachings and are enlightened with the six-figure secrets of Xenu will learn that all about Xenu Xenu, the evil intergalactic ruler who implanted “thetans,” or alien spirits, in earth’s volcanoes 75 million years ago, after which they escaped and invaded human bodies. The ultimate belief of Scientology is that you are possessed by the spirits of aliens murdered 75,000,000 years ago by "Xenu" and you have to exorcise these spirits, at a very high cost per alien.

You'll have to forgive me if I assert that these people are nuttier than squirrel poop.

Nerd.
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Zesty
    I think these people are completely nutty. (Though, honestly, Christianity and any other religions are completely nutty to me as well, so whatever.)

Your last statement is the exact reason why I posted my thoughts above.

I've always been partial to the Realians as my sci-fi mytho-religion.
    http://skepdic.com/raelian.html

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder
    Your last statement is the exact reason why I posted my thoughts above.
    I guess I won't get my questions answered now. Who wants to set themselves up for public humilition? That's why I asked specific questions in red. Ah, well.

I've been trying to take the midset of taking it seriously so I can understand it.

I know what you mean about bonkers, Zesty. I mean, say you're not a Christian and someone says:

I have this great religion. A woman gave birth witout having sex and the child is a diety, who performs magic, then dies, then comes back to life, then promises to take everyone on the planet to a magical place if they act good.

Definitely sounds loopy.

And just about as crazy in comparision.

I wanted to give Scientology the benefit of the doubt in trying to get some straight questions answered. I knew that wouldn't happen if I made fun, or jokes about the religion. I figured, that would be like poking fun at Judaism, then asking a Jew to answer some honest questions for me.

geezer, I knew about their stance on meds, which from what I've read, is a novel concept, to say the least. Didn't know about the jail thing.

I did a lot of deep reading about Scientology. I'm fascinated how it is so popular. It seems people can't wait to make fun of it, but like I said, in a way, other religions are just as goofy.

I knew it was a longeshot getting a Scientologist to respond, but I figured I'd give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Fool
    I've always been partial to the Realians as my sci-fi mytho-religion.
    http://skepdic.com/raelian.html
    Wow. Never heard of THAT one. And BTW, that is a hilarious avatar!!

Jesus Shuttlesworth

Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech
    Oh lighten up, he was joking! Everybody has to be so PC, this is the INTERNET!!! Anyway Catholicism is where it's at!

Nerd.
    Mood

www.xenu.net

Very good resource to show what Scientology truly is...