Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: JB rumor still alive

Default Re: JB rumor still alive

Honestly, is Bender's POTENTIAL (never mind production) really worth all this emotion? Even when he was playing his best, he looked like a really good player - not a bigger Tracy McGrady. Even in the legendary Christmas game against Orlando, he looked really good - but nothing like the next coming of anything.

Am I right? Or his potential more than I realize. Besides being physically fragile, he seems emotionally fragile. The classic guy who can ball when nothing is on the line, but disappears in a tough situation. Maybe that's just seasoning, but I don't think I see it.

That being said, how would his skills fit into Phil's triangle offense?
    "If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you." - Jack Handy

Quote Originally Posted by beast23
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    One thing that every post has overlooked as that Slava is not useless. He fills a need that we have and that is a large PF/C that can hit a mid-range shot. If the man is open form 12 feet, he'll knock it down. And although not a top choice, he will do until we can get something better to fulfull that role.
    Ya know, that's probably true....
    "If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you." - Jack Handy

Okay lets look at everything together. The complete rumor is

"As originally revealed by Hoopsworld.com in April, Jonathan Bender is indeed on his way to Los Angeles along with the 17th pick in the draft. In return, the Laker's will send Devean George, Slava Medvedenko and a second-round pick. Loose ends: which Laker second-rounder goes to Indy? Did the Pacers convince the Laker's to send Brian Cook instead of Medvedenko? Expect the deal within a day or two of draft day, although it may not be triggered until June 28."

George is a small forward, whereas both Cook and Medvedenko are listed as forward/center. Okay, say we do trade Bender and the 17th pick for Devean George, Slava Medvedenko and a second-round pick. And remember it could be Cook instead of Medvedenko. That would make our roster look like this.

SF] Artest 6'7---George 6'8---FREE AGENT JJones 6'8

PF] O'Neal 6'11---Croshere 6'10---Medvedenko 6'10

C] Foster 6'11---Harrison 7'0---Pollard 6'11---FREE AGENTS Davis 6'11---Edwards 7'1

SG] Jackson 6'8---FJones 6'2

PG] Tinsley 6'3---Johnson 6'3---Gill 6'0

That means we would have a roster of 13, with 3 free agents. Signing all three would mean we have 16 players under contract. That could happen if we would later make a two for one trade. Example, Jackson and Foster for a better shooting guard.

If this trade went down on June 28, the day of the draft, we could immediately trade either George or Medvedenko by themselves, but that wouldn't be likely. A trade on June 28 would also mean that we could trade either of them, or both of them 2 months later at the end of August.

Here's the pertinent trade rule as per Larry Coon.

(#84) In addition, teams cannot trade players under the following circumstances: For two months after receiving the player in trade, if the player is being traded in combination with other players. However, the team is free to trade the player by himself (not packaged with other players) immediately. This two-month restriction applies only to teams over the salary cap.

If this trade does go down we would have 3 expiring contracts to use in any trades. Pollard $6,274,937, George $5,000,600, Medvedenko $3,000,000. Plus all are useful roll players. Brian Cook is only paid $865,800, but it's a team option after that, so that would be the same as an expiring contract.

These expiring contracts could be used at the trade deadline in Feb. but they could also be used in a trade before the season. So trading Bender and our pick for the two Laker's would give the Pacers a ton of flexibility, both before the season and at the trade deadline.

Before I put all this information together I was of the mind that I didn't want to trade Bender, I would rather have just ate his contract. However, it would be okay with me if the Bender trade helped us get Allen, Redd, or Joe Johnson.

Stanislav Medvedenko FC 6-10 250, Birthdate Apr. 4, 1979
    43 games---9.8 minutes---3.8 points---1.8 rebounds

Devean George SF 6-8 240 Birthdate Aug. 29, 1977
    15 games---20.4 minutes---7.3 points---3.5 rebounds

Brian Cook FC 6-9 254 Barthdate Mar. 5, 1972
    72 games---15.1 minutes---6.4 points---3.0 rebounds

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

How come nobody can address my question re: Medvedenko and George's contract status? Am I too stupid to understand and so everyone is ignoring it or does it just not matter?
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

teY dennaB toN

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer
    Am I too stupid to understand and so everyone is ignoring it ........
    DING DING DING DING DING!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Both are in last years of their deals Geezer. George recently exercised his player option to guarantee his 5 mil salary for this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen
    Okay lets look at everything together. The complete rumor is

"As originally revealed by Hoopsworld.com in April, Jonathan Bender is indeed on his way to Los Angeles along with the 17th pick in the draft. In return, the Laker's will send Devean George, Slava Medvedenko and a second-round pick. Loose ends: which Laker second-rounder goes to Indy? Did the Pacers convince the Laker's to send Brian Cook instead of Medvedenko? Expect the deal within a day or two of draft day, although it may not be triggered until June 28."

George is a small forward, whereas both Cook and Medvedenko are listed as forward/center. Okay, say we do trade Bender and the 17th pick for Devean George, Slava Medvedenko and a second-round pick. And remember it could be Cook instead of Medvedenko. That would make our roster look like this.

SF] Artest 6'7---George 6'8---FREE AGENT JJones 6'8

PF] O'Neal 6'11---Croshere 6'10---Medvedenko 6'10

C] Foster 6'11---Harrison 7'0---Pollard 6'11---FREE AGENTS Davis 6'11---Edwards 7'1

SG] Jackson 6'8---FJones 6'2

PG] Tinsley 6'3---Johnson 6'3---Gill 6'0

That means we would have a roster of 13, with 3 free agents. Signing all three would mean we have 16 players under contract. That could happen if we would later make a two for one trade. Example, Jackson and Foster for a better shooting guard.

If this trade went down on June 28, the day of the draft, we could immediately trade either George or Medvedenko by themselves, but that wouldn't be likely. A trade on June 28 would also mean that we could trade either of them, or both of them 2 months later at the end of August.

Here's the pertinent trade rule as per Larry Coon.

(#84) In addition, teams cannot trade players under the following circumstances: For two months after receiving the player in trade, if the player is being traded in combination with other players. However, the team is free to trade the player by himself (not packaged with other players) immediately. This two-month restriction applies only to teams over the salary cap.

If this trade does go down we would have 3 expiring contracts to use in any trades. Pollard $6,274,937, George $5,000,600, Medvedenko $3,000,000. Plus all are useful roll players. Brian Cook is only paid $865,800, but it's a team option after that, so that would be the same as an expiring contract.

These expiring contracts could be used at the trade deadline in Feb. but they could also be used in a trade before the season. So trading Bender and our pick for the two Laker's would give the Pacers a ton of flexibility, both before the season and at the trade deadline.

Before I put all this information together I was of the mind that I didn't want to trade Bender, I would rather have just ate his contract. However, it would be okay with me if the Bender trade helped us get Allen, Redd, or Joe Johnson.

Stanislav Medvedenko FC 6-10 250, Birthdate Apr. 4, 1979
    43 games---9.8 minutes---3.8 points---1.8 rebounds

Devean George SF 6-8 240 Birthdate Aug. 29, 1977
    15 games---20.4 minutes---7.3 points---3.5 rebounds

Brian Cook FC 6-9 254 Barthdate Mar. 5, 1972
    72 games---15.1 minutes---6.4 points---3.0 rebounds
    This is my perspective on the trade, too. We've seen from recent summer and mid-season trades that the flexibility that comes with owning a bunch of expiring contracts and draft picks is significant.

I say let's do this deal. My only hesitation is in dropping out of the first round of this year's draft (not with giving up on Bender). Perhaps we could then take the two 2nd round picks and trade them to a team that wants to get out of the first round for their first round pick.
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer
    Last Non-Exercisable Year. Players in the last non-exercisable year of their contract cannot be traded after the trade deadline when teams can once again trade players after their season is over.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++

Last
    .....is listed by RealGM and is next to Deven George's name

(EDIT: AND DG's checkbox is greyed out so it cannot be included in any trade right now)

and BYC1 is listed next to Medvedenko

Now I'm not certain how to read the LAST thing for George but if Med is BYC...don't these make this whole thing kinda difficult????
    I'm not sure about George, but Medvedenko BYC1 means this year.

PacersFan

The Lakers fans at Lakersground are excited because the Bender deal has been reported on Loose Cannons. I don't exactly know what this is (guessing a radio station) or it's credibility. This same station also said that Chucky Atkins is gone for the Lakers.

Just telling it as I read it. http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=2154

Reading through that thread, most are worried this is nothing but someone who read their board, and that going public like that risks cold feet from the Pacers and Lakers.

I really REALLY want to keep the 17th pick. GOD i want to keep it. There will be quality players there and george and medvedenko or cook just doesnt add up. **** this trade.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I am still vehemently opposed to this deal, unless we use the contracts to get a Ray Allen or Michael Redd...which we won't.

Btw, do we have any interest in Chucky Atkins? He'd definitely be an upgrade over Gill. We could modify the deal as:

Bender, Gill, #17

FOR

Slava, George, Atkins, 2nd rounder

Mood

Well WNDE had Eric Pincus(emplay) on that Laker site on there JMV show at 3 today.

Eric, who I've talked with before seems sure from 4 sources he claims are solid says its a done deal . We will see.

I'm not so sure I would believe this considering how much time they've put into Bender. Not to mention this trade seems too out in the open, especially since most moves Donnie/Larry make are pretty surprising. Maybe it's a decoy for a different trade
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness
    I'm not so sure I would believe this considering how much time they've put into Bender. Not to mention this trade seems too out in the open, especially since most moves Donnie/Larry make are pretty surprising. Maybe it's a decoy for a different trade
    I think the only reason it's "out in the open" is because of the Lakers and their fans/sources. Too big of a place to keep a lid on anything I'd guess.

I'm willing to bet we swallow at least one of these contracts, and who knows, maybe all three. Our salary really is out of control. If this deal goes down, I would like to see us package some of the expiring contracts for a big-time FA or draft picks (Knicks). Meanwhile, Medvedenko could possibly be that big guy we need to come in and hit a little jumper to open the floor for JO, and both of these guys are young enough that they could become much better players in our system. Think JO or Jalen Rose. Regardless, if we are going to just eat the contracts, I'd rather we just kept Bender until his contract expired in the hopes that he got healthy.

I don't care what happens to JB, I'm more concerned about the 17th pick (as are the Lakers, I imagine). This draft is pretty deep, and you could pick up a pretty solid player without much trouble. However, if the Pacers are planning on using the expiring contracts to deal (which Detroit has shown can be done two years in a row now), I'm willing to sacrifice the pick. But if they're just gonna sit on em, keep it.

I think this POV has been stated before, so I'm probably just wasting space.

IndyToad
    Bender shmender

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by diamonddave00
    Both are in last years of their deals Geezer. George recently exercised his player option to guarantee his 5 mil salary for this season.

and from will: I'm not sure about George, but Medvedenko BYC1 means this year.

Well, chit.....I really am old and stoopid.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Btw, the Lakers fans are way too happy about this trade. That should set off red flags right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    Btw, the Lakers fans are way too happy about this trade. That should set off red flags right there.
    These are the same people that think Kobe Bryant should be mentioned in the same sentence as Michael Jordan.

So what do you think? JO and expiring contracts for Garnett? It would definitely give us more of an up-tempo team, which is something that was mentioned by management as something we'd be looking into.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    From what I've read, it seems their main source of salivation is the 17th pick, not Bender. In fact, I've seen a few posts mentioning how ecstatic we would be that they're taking JB off our hands.

IndyToad
    Give it a shot

If we don't make a championship move with these expiring contracts, this will be my version of Hicks' and Peck's Brad Miller trade.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think we should package the expiring contracts and flurry of picks to Memphis for Pau Gasol. Aren't they looking to dump Gasol and rebuild? Why not give him to us. GIVE HIM TO US!

Quote Originally Posted by Fig Newton
    I think we should package the expiring contracts and flurry of picks to Memphis for Pau Gasol. Aren't they looking to dump Gasol and rebuild? Why not give him to us. GIVE HIM TO US!
    Much as I would love to have Gasol, I'm not sure that picking up a back-up PF is a deal that will put us over the top.