Thread: JB rumor still alive

Default Re: JB rumor still alive

This trade may be dependent on who is available at 17. If the Pacers
    have their eye on a particular player that may determine if the trade goes
    through.

owl

foretaz

assuming there is a new CBA in place by next season, there is probably some very serious concerns regarding the luxury tax situation....the pacers payroll is a bit out of control.....with talks of getting more strict where the luxury tax is concerned being floated about when discussing the new CBA this an obvious concern for the pacers....

the pacers have two contracts that stick out like a sore thumb....croshere and bender....for the same reasons that some of us would prefer to not let bender go, but see if he can put his health issues behind him and live up to his star potential, these are the same reasons another team might be baited into making the deal....the pacers would probably prefer to get rid of austins contract....but there is no way any team will be baited into austins deal at 9 million per....why would they? only in his final year and only for cap space....it will go down as donnies biggest mistake....hes entitled...i mean he was coming off a finals appearance to boot...

from a pacers perspective, its not as bad as it might appear....make no mistake, whoever the pacers drafted this year wouldnt play a lick, and it would just be another long term contract on the books....this way the pacers will have 20 million prepared to come off the books(reggie, slava, george, pollard) at the end of the upcoming season....thats more than enuff flexibility to get a very good player if they choose to do so as well as gain some salary relief....with the potential signings of jj, dd and maybe the use of the MLE, this need cannot be underestimated....

as beast pointed out it also isnt as bad from a player perspective....george is a decent three point shooter-the team needs perimeter shooting...hes a decent defender...slava is a good midrange jump shooting big man, almost a cheap mans brad miller....he would be a decent complement to jo, though he does have a tendency to shoot a bit much....

for those that would like to see artest gone, one could argue this definitely would be laying the groundwork for that.....since most similar talents make dramatically more than ron, this would provide the pacers with expiring contracts to package with ron to trade for another star caliber player making much more money....as previously mentioned this potential trade does provide the pacers with a great deal of financial flexibility and thats never really a bad thing....its a business....i would love to wait it out to see what comes of bender....it would make all of us sick if he goes somewhere and turns into the star that he could be....the signs however point to that being an improbability...and if he goes somewhere and never amounts to anything as he is now doing, no matter how i like him personally, it would have been a good move by the organization....

either way it certainly appears to be an appropriate move at this time....whether we like it or not...

cpacer

I understand the business side of all of this. I am still not sure what to think. I do know that the Pacers organization usually makes good player decisions. That is not with out exception. I hope Bender doesnt fall into the category of B. Miller, Primoz. The other downside is the Pacers generally make good player pics. I guess it is all about what move can put you over the hump.

I like this deal, players that can play are always better than an injured superstar-in-the-making.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Even with the 20 mil off the cap the Pacers will still be over the cap after next season.

They are currently at $74 mil without Dale Davis or James Jones signed. Any free agent they sign over the next few years will be the MLE or a sign and trade. Who would deal a star free agent to be for George, Pollard's and Slava's contracts???? More likely a youngster like Fred, James or David would have to be added for them to not just prefer keeping that player and using his salary slot.

This trade is a pure salary dump to save $7.8 mil in 2006-07 and to not have to guarantee a rookie taken at #17 a 3-4 year deal. George and Slava just match salaries w/ Bender.

Who knows maybe those who want Francisco Garcia in the draft will see the Pacers draft him with pick 37 or 39 that they get from the Lakers.

The more I think about this trade possibility the less I like it.

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by diamonddave00
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Even with the 20 mil off the cap the Pacers will still be over the cap after next season.

They are currently at $74 mil without Dale Davis or James Jones signed. Any free agent they sign over the next few years will be the MLE or a sign and trade. Who would deal a star free agent to be for George, Pollard's and Slava's contracts????

This trade is a pure salary dump to save $7.8 mil in 2006-07 and to not have to guarantee a rookie taken at #17 a 3-4 year deal. George and Slava just match salaries w/ Bender.

Who knows maybe those who want Francisco Garcia in the draft will see the Pacers draft him with pick 37 or 39 that they get from the Lakers.

The more I think about this trade possibility the less I like it.
    well ur close....

it is a salary dump....being over the cap has nothing to do with it...its how high over the cap they are....theyre in luxury tax land and their are discussions on making that an even heavier penalty....so they need to do something and need to do it fairly fast...when ur trying to better ur team at the same time...u want to resign free agents and use the MLE u better have some plan in place other than just watch the payroll skyrocket out of control

now...that being said...if they do this move they buy themselves some flexibility....

as i mentioned they could take part of these expiring contracts and package them with artest to get a max type star player while still being able to reduce payroll.....for instance slavas and georges contract along with artest for ____________.....this way they still have pollards contract coming off the books as well as austins in another year....if they resign jj and dale and use the MLE and add a 2 million dollar 1st rounder for 4 years its even higher....if they get rid of the guaranteed 1st rounder for a second rounder this year, the difference given the depth of the draft wont be startling-but the contract will be....

i assure u, the simons made it very clear a few years back they had no interest whatsoever paying a luxury tax....given the fact the luxury tax has not been in place the last few years, noone has squawked quite as much about the high payroll....but if the tax comes back, which it looks like it could, look for maneuvers to reduce that exposure....and the pacers wont be the only team doing it...

PacersFan

I don't think the Laker fans understand how useful expiring contracts can be.

foretaz

the following is a quote from the clippers board.....they had heard of this bender rumor and were discussing trading a future first rounder for bender and our first rounder....this is what one guy said...

Re: Laker trade

bender is human lawn furniture. he can't play but i guess he'll look good in a suit. come on, you want to spend 6.7 million and give a future first round draft pick to get the 17 pick in the draft. i just wouldn't do it.
    i like bender....quite a bit actually....but i couldnt help but laugh at this comment

Old as Dirt

Wink Re: JB rumor still alive

Why would anyone want another 6'10" good land we got more of them than anyone eles.

Quote Originally Posted by foretaz
    if he can put his health issues behind him and live up to his star potential,
    Bender and "star potential"....

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

PacersFan43

Hi I'm new here. I came here to give my opinion on the Bender situation yes he's getting Traded I've talked to Serveral Sources already This Trade should go through by Draft night.

Peace.

SjA3837

Quote Originally Posted by PacersFan43
    Hi I'm new here. I came here to give my opinion on the Bender situation yes he's getting Traded I've talked to Serveral Sources already This Trade should go through by Draft night.

Peace.
    Hmmm...?

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by PacersFan43

Peace.

hmmmm.....more purported information....this board already has a harmonica....maybe u should change ur name to kazoo

Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    If we don't make a championship move with these expiring contracts, this will be my version of Hicks' and Peck's Brad Miller trade.
    Right there with you. So, I guess this would become Shade's and Kegboy's Bender trade.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

PacerSoul

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    Can I join the party, or am I to late?......
    You're too late cutie pie.