Thread: Pacers using pro version of Realgm trade checker

Default Pacers using pro version of Realgm trade checker

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap/

RealGM's NBA Team Licensing Featured In Mercury News
    San Jose Mercury News/Sean Webby - 06/16 - 2:02 PM EST
    Some basketball officials say RealGM represents a sports-management sea change on the order of the ``Moneyball'' philosophy that took root in baseball -- using hard data rather than traditional human expertise to accurately predict player potential.

``It's a unique tool. It allows you to brainstorm very, very quickly,'' said Tommy Sheppard, director of basketball operations for the Washington Wizards , who bought the program last year. ``Like chess, you have to stay three moves ahead in this league and keep yourself fiscally responsible. In this day and age, you have to look at every technological opportunity to make your team better, whether it's a Blackberry, or this.''

Basketball was behind the times. Even dreaming up simple trades required a mastery of the CBA and expensive in-house lawyers and accountants.

Why not leave much of the dirty work to a software program that would analyze all the permutations of NBA financial arcana -- salary caps, mid-level player exceptions, ``Larry Bird rights'' -- and in seconds give a general manager only the information that he needed: players who could be traded for other players.

The Pacers loved the idea that Ryan Hoak and Michael Benbow created and agreed to help develop the ``pro'' version of RealGM's Trade Checker program, with far more comprehensive capability to sort players and calculate deals.

RealGM officials are ramping up this summer to spread that sentiment to the rest of the NBA and maybe beyond.

Todd Essman, RealGM's chief operating officer and legal counsel, directs the marketing push to the rest of the league.

``I tend to liken RealGM to Turbo Tax,'' said Essman, 32. ``Widespread usage is inevitable when people gradually recognize that there is a better way of doing business over previous manual, pencil-and-paper methods.''

Now six teams are licensing RealGM -- the Pacers, the New Jersey Nets , the Bulls, the Houston Rockets , the Wizards and the San Antonio Spurs .

RealGM officials point out that all of their clients made the playoffs this year. The Spurs are in the NBA finals.

More teams are on the cusp, Essman said.

Beyond NBA usage, the site has become the hot spot for basketball connoisseurs, the types who spend all night debating online about Mark Cuban's personnel moves in Dallas or whether Boston will trade Paul Pierce. [READ]

Default Re: Pacers using pro version of Realgm trade checker

Oh, god. Please don't tell me this means Larry is getting trade ideas from the RealGM boards.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Jesus Shuttlesworth

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap/

RealGM's NBA Team Licensing Featured In Mercury News
    San Jose Mercury News/Sean Webby - 06/16 - 2:02 PM EST
    Some basketball officials say RealGM represents a sports-management sea change on the order of the ``Moneyball'' philosophy that took root in baseball -- using hard data rather than traditional human expertise to accurately predict player potential.

``It's a unique tool. It allows you to brainstorm very, very quickly,'' said Tommy Sheppard, director of basketball operations for the Washington Wizards , who bought the program last year. ``Like chess, you have to stay three moves ahead in this league and keep yourself fiscally responsible. In this day and age, you have to look at every technological opportunity to make your team better, whether it's a Blackberry, or this.''

Basketball was behind the times. Even dreaming up simple trades required a mastery of the CBA and expensive in-house lawyers and accountants.

Why not leave much of the dirty work to a software program that would analyze all the permutations of NBA financial arcana -- salary caps, mid-level player exceptions, ``Larry Bird rights'' -- and in seconds give a general manager only the information that he needed: players who could be traded for other players.

The Pacers loved the idea that Ryan Hoak and Michael Benbow created and agreed to help develop the ``pro'' version of RealGM's Trade Checker program, with far more comprehensive capability to sort players and calculate deals.

RealGM officials are ramping up this summer to spread that sentiment to the rest of the NBA and maybe beyond.

Todd Essman, RealGM's chief operating officer and legal counsel, directs the marketing push to the rest of the league.

``I tend to liken RealGM to Turbo Tax,'' said Essman, 32. ``Widespread usage is inevitable when people gradually recognize that there is a better way of doing business over previous manual, pencil-and-paper methods.''

Now six teams are licensing RealGM -- the Pacers, the New Jersey Nets , the Bulls, the Houston Rockets , the Wizards and the San Antonio Spurs .

RealGM officials point out that all of their clients made the playoffs this year. The Spurs are in the NBA finals.

More teams are on the cusp, Essman said.

Beyond NBA usage, the site has become the hot spot for basketball connoisseurs, the types who spend all night debating online about Mark Cuban's personnel moves in Dallas or whether Boston will trade Paul Pierce. [READ]

Wow, teams actually use this? I didn't know thats what Bird Rights meant either...

what do birds rights mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Theodore
    I could be mistaken, But I beleive bird rights was an old wooden ship used during the days of the civil war.

Jesus Shuttlesworth

I don't know what they mean, I just didn't know it had to do with Larry Bird...i thought it was a bird like the animal or something

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Theodore
    Short Answer:

A special provision made to allow teams to exceed the salary cap in order to retain a player already on their roster.

It was designed to keep a team that is under the cap from "stealing" a player away from another team by simply offering more money than the other team could pay.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

LARRY BIRD EXCEPTION -- This is the best known one. Players who qualify for this exception are called "Qualifying Veteran Free Agents" in the CBA. This exception allows teams to exceed the salary cap to re-sign their own free agents, up to the player's maximum salary. The free agent in question must have played for three seasons without being waived or changing teams as a free agent. This means a player can obtain "Bird rights" by playing under three one-year contracts, a single contract of at least three years, or any combination. It also means that when a player is traded, his Bird rights are traded with him, and his new team can use the Bird exception to re-sign him. These contracts can be up to seven years in length. A player can receive 12.5% raises using this exception. This exception is known as the Larry Bird exception because the Celtics were the first team allowed to exceed the cap to keep their own free agent, and the player happened to be Bird.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#23

This is how the Cavs lost Boozer. He had only been playing two seasons when his contract was up so they couldnt exceed the salary cap to re-sign him. Portland is facing the same situation with Pryzbilla after this season if they dont dump some contracts.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    Oh, god. Please don't tell me this means Larry is getting trade ideas from the RealGM boards.

If he's reading Pacers Real GM, then he doesnt have a prayer for any trades, because they allways tend to heavily favor the Pacers.

If he he is reading an opposing teams board bringing up a deal involving the Pacers, then the Pacers are probably getting screwed.

It's not a shock to me that most of the teams on this list are considered to be fiscally sound, competitive teams. From the looks of the article, you can select the players you want gone, and it will tell you what combinations of players you can get from every team in the league. Quite a nifty tool.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Reality check...sorry.

It does say they are using the PRO version.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

I wonder what makes the PRO version "PRO"? The public one seems to handle things.

Jesus Shuttlesworth

LuckyMcPhearson - is that Stephon and Sebastian in your little icon.

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    I wonder what makes the PRO version "PRO"?
    About $35,000.

Anyone have a real answer? What does the public version NOT do that would be worth paying to have?

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus Shuttlesworth
    LuckyMcPhearson - is that Stephon and Sebastian in your little icon.

Yup, from about 10 years ago.

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    Anyone have a real answer? What does the public version NOT do that would be worth paying to have?
    I read something about it on RealGM about a year or so ago. You might want to do a search. But I do recall that it costs about $35,000.

I read that article too. Seem to recall that around half the NBA teams were paying for the service

EDIT - One thing that I think teams would be getting is real salary info instead of the blocks that we get.

cariocapacer

I would hope the "pro" version would have the ability to do all possible player combinations of trades for any player with any other team and possibly even for 3 teams. In other words, if I wanted to see who I could get if I traded Artest to Houston it would show me all possible combinations of players from Houston who would make that trade work, or Artest and any 1 or 2 players what combinations would work. It should probably be able to do 3 team combinations as well. Above 3 teams my guess is the permutations get unmanageable and the programming to complex.

I think if we pooled our resources here, we could make our own "Pro" trade checker. We have people who know the CBA well. We have people who know how to write in programming languages. We have a place to put it. We could even use the Hoopshype estimated salaries in place of a point system. But with enough time and care put into it, we could have our own pro trade checker with enough time and effort.