Thread: Concerned about the Pacers blowing big leads, read this

Default Concerned about the Pacers blowing big leads, read this

Conrad Brunner makes several very good points. Whe people ask me why the Pacers blow so many leads, I say they do because they have so many big leads

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/question_040310.html

Q. It seems endemic to the Pacers' playing style that we let go of big leads, almost as though we were allergic to them. Although we've managed to pull through on recent games, does this bode well for the playoffs? Is it overconfidence? Lack of a killer instinct? It seems to me that such complacency whenever we build big leads can result in unfavorable results against more focused teams. What is Coach (Rick) Carlisle and his team doing to address this attitude (or perceived attitude)? (From Zach in Tagaytay City, Philippines)

A. Though this question has come up quite a bit, not only this season but in recent years, the Pacers are hardly the only NBA team to deal with this issue. Yes, they have had problems maintaining big leads. But to play devil’s advocate, they have been very consistent in building them.

When you’re on the road, it is of paramount importance to announce your intentions to the home team as quickly as possible. The hardest kind of game to play, particularly on the road, is one when you fall behind early and are fighting uphill all night long. And road blowouts are exceptionally rare. This time of year, there are very few teams without supreme motivation. All four teams on the recent road trip were battling for playoff position in the Western Conference. This week’s opponents -- the Raptors, Celtics and Cavs -- all have sub-.500 records, but all are in the playoff hunt in the East. So there’s little chance anyone is going to roll over and play dead once they fall behind.

It’s not necessarily a character flaw in the Pacers when an opponent rallies; it could just be that the other team awakens and begins playing with the type of focus and intensity the Pacers displayed in building the lead. If the Pacers were blowing games, I’d be concerned. They’ve shown killer instinct when the game is on the line. When the playoffs roll around, that’s what matters most.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Concerned about the Pacers blowing big leads, read this

I've posted some similar comments in threads over the past few days.

I compare this topic to someone complaining about thier date with Miss America because her eyes were brown instead of blue.

Hey, there are plenty of things I worry about (well documented) but this isn't one of them.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

If the Pacers were blowing games, I’d be concerned.
    That is the best point he made.

How many big leads have we blown? Bu how many of those games have we lost? None

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

He makes a great point, getting them on a consistent basis is the silver lining. My fear is that come playoff time this team won't always be able to 'come up with a way to win' after blowing a huge lead. It seems to me that this team gets big leads and then stops doing the things that got them the leads. Last night this team started shooting jumpers right and left after they got a lead and that allowed the Raptors to get back in it. Then the Pacers build the lead by going inside and either getting a bucket or a foul and they build up the lead again, only to start taking jumpers again and letting the lead go away.

That type of inconsistency will kill this team in the playoffs. I think the coaches can and will get a handle on it by giving a lot less leeway once the postseason starts.

I am very impressed at how this team plays in 4th quarters of close games. I said this last year, Artest is a very intelligent basketball player. He knows what to do on the floor given various situations. He is well ahead of his age in that regard. He and Reggie both started working on drawing fouls on the Raptors last night when they got in the bonus early in the 4th quarter. I saw Ron 'flop' on a couple of occasions when the defender pushed him as he was getting position.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

All teams blow leads its just part of the NBA; every team makes a run at some point in the game. When the 76ers/Celtics used to play during their rivalry pretty much every game one of the two teams would jump out to a nice lead only to have the other team make a run and the final score be decided by one or two points, its what makes the game exciting. You always know even if your team is down 18 points they can come back and win the game but the championship caliber teams always find a way to win the close games. Also if you notice most of the time the team that makes the comeback usually runs out of steam toward the end of the game. It takes alot of energy to come back from a big deficit.

Dipper is quite right. It takes a lot of energy to come back from a big deficit. The Pacers just seem to know when to seize the opportunity to close.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

If the Pacers were blowing games, I’d be concerned.
    That is the best point he made.

How many big leads have we blown? Bu how many of those games have we lost? None

Good point, usually when the pacers lose a game they fall down early and play have to try and get back into the game.

Although it is extremely frustrating to watch at times... these close games are a good learning experience.... the Ps have shown maturity and have stepped up in every instance lately... with that being said...save us fans some gray hairs and blow someone out already.

Seriously i think the problem is that when the Pacers are executing and playing well...it all comes very easily, and we build up a big lead... Thinking it comes so eazily we lose focus and stop executing and the game becomes difficult because were not doing all the little things anymore.... not setting solid picks... not getting the ball to shooters in rhythm...not blocking out...not getting back in transition...etc.... This just motivates the other team to play harder...making the whole process difficult to turn around. This is probably every teams problem though...

The team is very aware of losing these big leads...its just a matter of putting it all together for 48 minutes....which is both comforting and frightening.... to know we haven't played a complete game yet...on both ends for 48 minutes....Is it possible??? or too much to expect?

I'll say we blew out some opponents (Bulls as a recent after the AS example) ands what happens ? we all fall asleep.

Nothing to biutch about, nothing to complain about, no players we want to trade while the game is in progress, in other words; boooooooooring

Hey you guys might not realize this but for some it is really late when we are listening to these games or following the score, in my case usuall between 1 and 5 am, start nearly never earlier then midnight so yeah, boring games have a tendency of making it hard to stay up for.
    This team is kind enough to think about us and bring us some excitement in the middle of the night!

In all seriousness though, it helps this team more then it costs us in heart surgery in the long and short term. (though seeing what I spend and have to endure to follow this team I DO expect a serious contribution from the team should I need such operations as a results from this all) this team "knows" how to score and "close out" a close game.

Do you think in the PO's anyone does not bring their A game? we will need this knowledge more then anything.

Great practise I would say, so all parties benefit
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Hey you guys might not realize this but for some it is really late when we are listening to these games or following the score, in my case usuall between 1 and 5 am, start nearly never earlier then midnight...
    Where the h3ll do you live, able? My calculations put you in central or eastern europe.... or perhaps England

Hey you guys might not realize this but for some it is really late when we are listening to these games or following the score, in my case usuall between 1 and 5 am, start nearly never earlier then midnight...
    Where the h3ll do you live, able? My calculations put you in central or eastern europe.... or perhaps England
    HINT: see left of this text :P
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Driving to the game last night, Slick said blowing leads is his biggest issue with this team. Wish I could remember the exact quote, but he was really serious about what a problem it is.

Conrad's answer seemed like a cop-out to me. Yes, it's the NBA, everybody makes a run. And yes, we're still winning the games. However, it shows a lack of maturity on the players' part. Especially considering how we lost to Boston last year.

Yes, being clutch is important. But it's even more important to put the hammer down. Intensity is magnified in the playoffs, and momentum becomes paramount. Do you think all these close games are gonna mean a damn when a Paul Pierce goes nuts and a 25-point lead evaporates in the blink of an eye?

Personally, I think consistently winning these rather meaningless games after blowing leads is creating a false sense of security. With every game that a crappy team like Toronto takes us to the wire, I become more concerned. In fact, this is quickly becoming my biggest concern for the playoffs, moreso than matchups or Carlisle's system, and the idea that the players and coaches blow it off doesn't help matters.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

HINT: see left of this text :P
    I am a MOE-ron

I went back to the schedule to check blown leads: The Pacers have blown one double digit lead this year. It was to the Celtics and it was the ninth game of the season. The next biggest blown lead was only six points, and that was to the Bulls at Chicago. All of the other losses have been games in which we never lead or the lead was 3 or less. That is pretty amazing.

I bet there are very few other teams in the NBA who have only blown one double digit lead.

I bet there are very few other teams in the NBA who have only blown one double digit lead.
    Why don't you check

good point thought

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'll get crucified/shot for this...

Blown leads...Pacers at Portland.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

I'll get crucified/shot for this...

Blown leads...Pacers at Portland.
    That was also a 6 point blown lead.....

Edit: If I check the Bulls loss box score, it shows the Pacers biggest lead as 9......

Edit 2: Box score for Bucks loss shows Pacers biggest lead as 15 pts.....
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Even if we led Chicago by nine in the first quarter that night (and that sounds right), I wouldn't classify that as a "blown lead." As a first-hand observer I'll vouch for the fact that once JO cooled off late in the first quarter, they thumped our @$$ all night long.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Tim

I don't think blown leads are that big of a deal.

The players have already talked about it in the media, when they go up by a lot they know its going to be a dog fight in the end. Pacers still win.

As a fan I realize that a typical NBA game goes back and forth. A game is a series of 8-2 and 10-2 runs back and forth.

However the players should always strive to put teams away and yet they cannot panick when the other team makes a run.

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

I went back to the schedule to check blown leads: The Pacers have blown one double digit lead this year. It was to the Celtics and it was the ninth game of the season. The next biggest blown lead was only six points, and that was to the Bulls at Chicago. All of the other losses have been games in which we never lead or the lead was 3 or less. That is pretty amazing.

Am I safe to assume you mean blown leads that led to losses? Otherwise I know of at least 5 other occasions this team blew a double digit lead but still won.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Even if we led Chicago by nine in the first quarter that night (and that sounds right), I wouldn't classify that as a "blown lead." As a first-hand observer I'll vouch for the fact that once JO cooled off late in the first quarter, they thumped our @$$ all night long.
    For someone too lazy to do any more research than check the NBA.com box scores in 14 losses, the biggest lead in any loss will have to count as a blown lead.........
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731