Thread: Dwayne Casey new coach of T-Wolves

Default Dwayne Casey new coach of T-Wolves

Glad he is finally getting the opportunity. Next to Mike Brown he is very deserving

The Minnesota Timberwolves are negotiating with Dwane Casey after offering their vacant coaching job to the longtime Seattle assistant.

Casey, according to NBA coaching sources, beat out San Antonio Spurs assistant P.J. Carlesimo and deposed Cleveland coach Paul Silas in the race to succeed Flip Saunders as Wolves coach. Sources said Casey and the Wolves began exchanging contract figures Tuesday and are progressing toward an agreement.

Team vice president Kevin McHale coached Minnesota to a 19-12 record after Saunders was fired in mid-Feburary, but the 44-38 Wolves missed the playoffs just one year after ending a run of seven consecutive first-round exits by reaching the conference finals.

McHale maintained from the start that he didn't want the job on a permanent basis, and Casey materialized as a leading contender early last week.

A finalist for jobs in Toronto and Atlanta last summer, Casey is also a finalist for the coaching vacancy in Portland. Barring an unexpected breakdown in Casey's talks with the Wolves, Portland is expected to turn to Suns assistant Marc Iavaroni.

Sources indicated that the Blazers, however, are holding off to see if they have a shot at Casey's boss in Seattle: Nate McMillan. The Sonics refuse to allow McMillan to speak to other teams until his contract expires June 30, and the leaguewide expectation remains that Seattle will sign McMillan to a lucrative extension either before or soon after that date.

Carlesimo was thought to be McHale's original top choice to take over, but speculation persists that Wolves star Kevin Garnett -- at the urging of friend and teammate Latrell Sprewell -- has reservations about playing for Carlesimo.

Sources said Garnett was intrigued by the idea of playing for the veteran Silas, but Casey, 48, is highly regarded for his role in the unheralded Sonics' 50-win season and has a strong reputation for developing players after 11 seasons in Seattle.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/index

Default Re: Dwayne Casey new coach of T-Wolves

I don't like this whole "players calling who the next coach is" thing. Sounds real fishy to me.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

foretaz

yea....when the inmates start running the asylum, u gotta wonder a bit

While I agree with you all that it is not good to have players pick the coach I can't say that I think Dwyane Casey isn't a great choice. Heck, if I was Kevin McHale he would be my choice, atleast over P.J. Carlesimo. I still don't get what is so great about him. Did he ever really achive anything as a head coach? Casey hasn't but he has never had the chance.

Sorry, I'm a moron. Who is Dwane Casey, other than an assistant coach for the Sonics.

Quote Originally Posted by rabidpacersfan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sorry, I'm a moron. Who is Dwane Casey, other than an assistant coach for the Sonics.
    Got it in one. That's all I've ever known him to be (he's been there for quite a while.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    I don't like this whole "players calling who the next coach is" thing. Sounds real fishy to me.
    yeah that really didnt work when Magic got Westhead fired and the Lakers then hired Riley.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "It's a league game, Smokey"

Quote Originally Posted by abington
    yeah that really didnt work when Magic got Westhead fired and the Lakers then hired Riley.
    First off, for every Magic and Westhead, there's a Penny and Brian Hill.

Second, there's a big difference between players rebelling against a coach they know, and players telling the brass they don't want somebody hired based solely on rumor and inuendo.

foretaz

whats even more alarming in this case is the fact that spreewell is the one making the real decision....garnett doesnt know carlesimo from a hole in the ground-more than likely....and spreewell almost positively wont be with the wolves next year

this is sprees way of saying 'screw u' to both carlesimo and the minnesota management and ownership....

somewhere, spree is beside himself.....