Thread: Pacers players from brawl granted new judges

Hybrid View

Default Pacers players from brawl granted new judges

http://www.freep.com/sports/pistons/...e_20050616.htm

Players' cases to be reassigned among judges

BY L.L. BRASIER
    FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

June 16, 2005

In a victory for the defense, five Indiana Pacers facing assault charges in the November brawl at the Palace of Auburn Hills will get new judges by random draw.

All five had faced trial before Rochester Hills Judge Lisa Asadoorian on Aug. 1. Asadoorian had refused a request by defense attorneys to allow the cases to be separately assigned to other judges by random draw, saying the cases should remain in her court since they stemmed from one criminal act.

But on Wednesday, Oakland County Circuit Judge Fred Mester ruled Asadoorian was incorrect and that the cases had to be reassigned. There are three judges on the 52nd District, third division bench: Asadoorian, Julie Nicholson and Nancy Tolwin Carniak. The random draw is expected to take place this week and likely will mean the trial dates will change for the five men.

"The only thing these cases have in common is that they happened at the same time and in the same place," Mester said in his ruling Wednesday.

Defense attorneys declined to discuss their strategy in seeking to have the cases reassigned, but it is likely they are hoping to keep their clients out of Asadoorian's courtroom.

Asadoorian, unlike many judges, will not consider first-time offender programs that often carry light penalties, nor Cobbs pleas, an arrangement that allows defendants to plead guilty as charged in exchange for a specific sentence, a common practice in most Michigan courtrooms.

Asadoorian also is known for imposing lengthy community service sentences, long probation periods and mandatory substance abuse counseling and anger management courses.

On Thursday, Oakland County Assistant Prosecutor Paul Walton said Mester's decision to reassign had little impact on the cases.

"We are comfortable trying our cases, no matter who the judge is," he said.

The Nov. 19 brawl made international headlines after a fan heaved a cup of beer at Pacer Ron Artest. Artest, Anthony Johnson, David Harrison, Jermaine O'Neal and Stephen Jackson were charged with misdemeanor assault and battery. Four fans also are facing trial on the same charge, including David Wallace, brother of Piston Ben Wallace. Those cases remain before Asadoorian, but their defense attorneys could ask for reassignment as well.

Contact L.L. BRASIER at 248-858-2262 or brasier@freepress.com.

Copyright 2005 Detroit Free Press Inc.
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers players from brawl granted new judges

I'm a bit concerned about the delays this will cause. If the court activity has not been resolved by start of training camp, we're going to continue hearing about this all next season (and, though I would hope a judge wouldn't think this way, setting an "example" by giving jail time would certainly be disruptive to the Pacers' season again).
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BillS
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm a bit concerned about the delays this will cause. If the court activity has not been resolved by start of training camp, we're going to continue hearing about this all next season (and, though I would hope a judge wouldn't think this way, setting an "example" by giving jail time would certainly be disruptive to the Pacers' season again).
    Wouldn't doubt it. And, of course the fans' cases are already over.

Jesus, I am so sick of being screwed.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

ImCrazyB

They wont be getting any jail time...But it could be a distraction..Kind of like the Kobe case back all throughout last year.

This is shameful... these are MISDEMEANOR assault and battery cases. It's been SEVEN MONTHS!!!! How long does this crap take? Four or five hours of court time? I mean, seriously people, it's all on tape for chrissakes.

Quote Originally Posted by rabidpacersfan
    This is shameful... these are MISDEMEANOR assault and battery cases. It's been SEVEN MONTHS!!!! How long does this crap take? Four or five hours of court time? I mean, seriously people, it's all on tape for chrissakes.

Wrong. It's NOT all on tape. Can you tell me verbage, emotions, things that were said and done outside of the video tapes we have all seen? Nope.

And I can look at that tape and have an opinion on what happened and four other people may look at it and have different opinions. The sorry thing is that the Detroit or whatever area they are in didn't just drop this and move on. I imagine that each trial will be longer than 5 hours-IF if gets to that point. I imagine there will eventually be a "no contest" please-no admission of guilt or innosence and a small fine and maybe a few hours of community service. I'm not an attorney but that is what I figure will happen, in some form or another. I'm sure that there is a lot of back door negotiations going on as we speak between the DA and each player's attorney's.

The fact that they're separated and tried by different judges could bring different and possibly contradictory sentences, not to mention differing periods of trial, etc. Of course now they're agreeing that each is an individual incident. This appears likely to drag on for a while which is probably in defendants' favor as the "heads need to roll" faction loses its collective memory. The downside is that while probation probably won't interfere with the Pacers' season, community service might. I won't even consider what incarceration might mean.

Yeah, it's only a misdemeanor. The fans' court dates have pretty much been taken care of haven't they? I suggest that the delay is much more on the defense than on the prosecution.

As an aside, several years ago I spent 3 weeks in Tokyo on a business trip. During the first week, a white collar worker was accused of a business type crime -- embezzlement say. During the second week he went on trial. Before I left the city, he was convicted and in prison doing his time. Ya gotta love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Knucklehead Warrior
    The downside is that while probation probably won't interfere with the Pacers' season, community service might. I won't even consider what incarceration might mean.
    Normally in cases like this they will allow the community service to be completed in the person's home community. I believe Mike Doss got that deal. And with the amount of community service Pacers and Colts alike do every year, which of course will be counted, they might as well not even bother adding it on the sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by rabidpacersfan
    If the Pacers keep fighting it, this could take another 2-3 years.

IMO they should enter pleas and offer community service. Since none of the players involved have records, I don't see where jail time would be much of an option. Any reasonable judge would allow them to serve during the offseason - by definition community service isn't supposed to interfere with your job.

Get it over with and out of everyone's minds.

Of course that's easy for me to say - it's not my criminal record.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire