Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ladies and Gentlemen... your Indiana Fever

Default Re: Ladies and Gentlemen... your Indiana Fever

Quote Originally Posted by ImCrazyB
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, When they are in uniforms they don't look that way. They look pretty damn ferocious.
    Again, why does it matter. You said yourself that you don't care what the men look like. Why do you care what the women look like? They're ATHLETES, not strippers. When I watch them play I pay attention to the same thing I pay attention to when the men play - the GAME. When I want to look at hottie women I look elsewhere.

You guys are over-rating the WNBA big time. If they truly played with such great Fundamentals and team-ball, Then there would be more people watching it.
    Not necessarily. The NBA Finals has two teams playing great fundamentals and team ball but apparently nobody's watching that either.

I think the main reason the WNBA isn't popular has to do with your next comment, which has nothing at all to do with "team ball" or "fundamentals".

Only like 3 or 4 girls in the WNBA can even dunk the ball..Not saying I need to see Tamika Cummings do a 360 reverse windmill..But It definitely makes the game more exciting to watch when I see a lob thrown up and watch it get slammed down by JO or anybody. (Except DD, he can't quite make it up to the rim anymore)
    First of all, it's Catchings, not Cummings. She's an Olympic Gold Medalist, which is more than you can say for most NBA players (the American ones anyway ).

Second, you do make a good point about athleticism - to an extent, anyway. I think the biggest difference between the women and men is speed (somewhat), upper-body strength and vertical leap. The women are certainly physical and athletic, and many of them are great shooters. But you're right that most can't dunk (yet).

If that makes the game harder to watch, I guess I understand, but those issues are going to be there for pretty much ANY women's sport. Women and men on average are just built differently. It doesn't mean that women can't play exciting, competitive sport.

And as for your WNBA vs. NCAA comment, I'd like to see some stats to back that up. The WNBA is a new league (7-8 years old), with only 13 teams, and that probably has more effect on ratings than anything else. Just like the NBA, the WNBA is filled with players who were dominant in college - title champions, conference MVPs, multiple-sport players etc. Generally speaking they're some of the best female athletes in the world.

When I watch a game I'm not expecting to see NBA-style ball. If I was I guess I'd be disappointed. But for what it is, the WNBA is a pretty good product and well worth watching IMHO.

ImCrazyB

Catchings; Cummings..Not a real big difference. I don't watch much Womans basketball so I don't really know many of the names.

I understand that women can play basketball..I'm not saying because they can't dunk or do any and 1 moves makes them bad..I'm willing to bet nearly every single player in the WNBA could beat me 1 on 1. What I'm saying is that it isn't exciting. Plain and simple..I know I can turn elsewhere to look for attractive girls..But due to the fact that I don't enjoy the way most of the WNBA players play, What else is there to keep me on the channel? And yes, It does matter. It's in my nature and many others I'm sure to judge people by looks..Especially those of the opposite sex. Why do you think so many people watch that Anna Kournikova play tennis? She sucks..But tons of people watch because shes attractive. Now, If I loved the game and watched it for the sake of fun, I could go watch some other Tennis player on horse tranquilizers swat the living hell out of the ball.

If you can watch a full WNBA game without one time judging one of the players looks, Then good for you. But not many people I know can sit back and not once say some comment about the looks of one of the players on the court unless they are watching the game alone.

ImCrazyB

This is a stupid argument anyways. I give up.

I just never really got into the WNBA. I don't know why, really.

Sue Bird, though, she is attractive. Very much so.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

PacerNthaDesert

If anything else, the WNBA is a nice thing to follow in the summer for those who aren't into baseball much and love basketball.

Sam Cassel looks like an alien. Reggie Miller has bad teeth. And Popeye Jones ... wow.

To clarify, I have no point whatsoever.

First of all, Becky Hammon is a goddess. Let's just get that out of the way right now.

Okay, we had Fever tickets for 3 years. Here's a primer.

The skill level is better than people think. If Catchings had a Y chromosone, she'd be TMac when he plays D. (And on top of that, she's got a great ***! ) Calhoun's girls have really taken the league up a notch, as well.

The coaching isn't so great, though. Teams finally are starting to wise up about college coaches. Just like with the men, they don't work in the pro environment, especially with the compacted summer schedule. In the history of the league, I can only think of a handful of coaches that were really any good: Chancellor, Cooper, and Laimbeer all have rings, and deservedly so. Donovan does too, but I can't get over that first year with the Fever when there was a timeout, the TV camera caught her asking her assistants, "Okay, what do we do? " Adubato and Rothstein were exceptional, but never had the talent. You'd think people would have realized earlier to get more NBA types like them. I'm afraid NY will never recover from canning Richie. And so people don't think I'm just picking men, Cheryl and Carolyn Peck were good too, but they didn't have the jones for it and got out.

The officiating can be downright abysmal. Just utter incompetence. There are some refs who I swear would maybe get a 4 on that celtics.com test from a few days ago. And the worst I ever saw, Ed Mallory, gets kicked up to the big leagues.

Frankly, the worst part about the WNBA is the crowds. Shreaking little girls and scary, scary looking women. I don't want to be too negative, but for all you hormone-filled teenagers on here with your lesbian fantasies, go to a Fever game some time. You'll be cured of that right away.

Overall, the competition has gotten much better. Five years ago the play wasn't anywhere near what I saw at Purdue. Now it's pretty good. If they'd show it on TV more than they do, it'd really be a nice way to get through the offseason.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by rabidpacersfan
    Uh, who cares? It's basketball. Reggie Miller wasn't the world's most attractive guy but nobody seemed to care. Why should this be any different?

And "(not) even in the slightest way attractive" is a but harsh IMO. Becky Hammon, for instance:

I was going to respond to this post with the EXACT same name, but with no picture.

THANK YOU for posting a picture. Becky Hammon is hot...even in her Uni. ESPECIALLY in her uni.

Steph has got it going on as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleThreat
    I was going to respond to this post with the EXACT same name, but with no picture.

Becky Hammon is hot...even in her Uni. ESPECIALLY in her uni.
    Don't get me started. When she tucks in the shoulders under her bra straps...

And that picture has got to be the worst I've ever seen of her. Hell, she looked better when she tore up her knee.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've always thought that it's unfortunate that Catchings is partially deaf, which slurs her speech. She's one of the top 5 to 10 women's players in the world. But her communication difficulties make her difficult to market. But she's an outstanding player.

And Becky Hammon is gorgeous. But I was pleading (privately) for the Fever to draft Brittany Jackson of Tennessee. If you haven't heard of her, check out www.brittany-jackson.com. She'd definitely get me going to more (or some) games.

Okay, you want a real picture of Becky Hammon, here's a real picture of Becky Hammon! (Sorry it's too big to actually post.)

http://www.beckyhammon.com/BeckyonGrass.jpg

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    Okay, you want a real picture of Becky Hammon, here's a real picture of Becky Hammon! (Sorry it's too big to actually post.)

u take that on ur date ?? how was the picnic??

uh, the WNBA is still around? I Think florida had a team at one time? The orlando shine or some crap?
    booooooooring.
    "GIMMIE DAT!"-DANGER

Quote Originally Posted by J33J
    uh, the WNBA is still around? I Think florida had a team at one time? The orlando shine or some crap?
    booooooooring.
    Ron Artest lost his starting spot on an AAU team to Chamique Holdscaw.

You don't like ronnie!? !
    "GIMMIE DAT!"-DANGER

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy

What team does she play for? Oh...my...goodness. I'm in love...
    AKA Sactolover05

Jesus Shuttlesworth

Wow, this one needs a new hair cut....

http://www.wnba.com/playerfile/kelly....html?nav=page

anyway that Brittnay Jackson girl is hot!

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar
    My only real question about the Fever is why is'nt Cheryl the coach?

She has coaching experience and she is Cheryl.
    Cheryl quit coaching because it was too tiring for her to coach in the summer and work for TNT during the NBA season. I'm not making it up. That's what she said when she left Phoenix.

Fever won again last night, btw. 7-3 and a half game out of 1st in the east.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by grace
    Cheryl quit coaching because it was too tiring for her to coach in the summer and work for TNT during the NBA season. I'm not making it up. That's what she said when she left Phoenix.
    I supose that is legit then. I just always thought that would be cool if she was with the Fever. I also think it would have put more buts in seats.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus Shuttlesworth
    Wow, this one needs a new hair cut....

http://www.wnba.com/playerfile/kelly....html?nav=page

anyway that Brittnay Jackson girl is hot!
    Wow! Talk about princess bangs!

Wink Re: Ladies and Gentlemen... your Indiana Fever

Quote Originally Posted by ImCrazyB
    Well, When they are in uniforms they don't look that way. They look pretty damn ferocious. You guys are over-rating the WNBA big time. If they truly played with such great Fundamentals and team-ball, Then there would be more people watching it. As it is right now, More people watch NCAA womans basketball then they do the WNBA. But Skaut pointed out that they aren't even close to as athletic as the men who play in the NBA. Only like 3 or 4 girls in the WNBA can even dunk the ball..Not saying I need to see Tamika Cummings do a 360 reverse windmill..But It definitely makes the game more exciting to watch when I see a lob thrown up and watch it get slammed down by JO or anybody. (Except DD, he can't quite make it up to the rim anymore)

Different strokes.... To me, the fact that they CAN'T just throw the ball down is what makes it real basketball and not the *******ized version we see in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by rabidpacersfan
    Again, why does it matter. You said yourself that you don't care what the men look like. Why do you care what the women look like? They're ATHLETES, not strippers. When I watch them play I pay attention to the same thing I pay attention to when the men play - the GAME. When I want to look at hottie women I look elsewhere.

Not necessarily. The NBA Finals has two teams playing great fundamentals and team ball but apparently nobody's watching that either.

I think the main reason the WNBA isn't popular has to do with your next comment, which has nothing at all to do with "team ball" or "fundamentals".

First of all, it's Catchings, not Cummings. She's an Olympic Gold Medalist, which is more than you can say for most NBA players (the American ones anyway ).

Second, you do make a good point about athleticism - to an extent, anyway. I think the biggest difference between the women and men is speed (somewhat), upper-body strength and vertical leap. The women are certainly physical and athletic, and many of them are great shooters. But you're right that most can't dunk (yet).

If that makes the game harder to watch, I guess I understand, but those issues are going to be there for pretty much ANY women's sport. Women and men on average are just built differently. It doesn't mean that women can't play exciting, competitive sport.

And as for your WNBA vs. NCAA comment, I'd like to see some stats to back that up. The WNBA is a new league (7-8 years old), with only 13 teams, and that probably has more effect on ratings than anything else. Just like the NBA, the WNBA is filled with players who were dominant in college - title champions, conference MVPs, multiple-sport players etc. Generally speaking they're some of the best female athletes in the world.

When I watch a game I'm not expecting to see NBA-style ball. If I was I guess I'd be disappointed. But for what it is, the WNBA is a pretty good product and well worth watching IMHO.

The NBA is all about athletes. You don't even have to be a good BASKETBALL player to get drafted high and paid millions of dollars in the NBA. If you can run really fast and jump really high, that is enough. (well kind of).
    That is the reality of the NBA circa 2005.
    The fact that the woman CAN"T rely on that and have to actually play team basketball is what makes it appealing to basketball purists. Like me.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Another Beck Hammon picture.