Thread: Cutting the Cord

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Cutting the Cord

I know there is probably a thread about this, but I couldn't find it. For those of you who do not use cable as your tv provider, what works best for you? We are looking at doing so and i'm colleecting opinions. Thanks!

Default Re: Cutting the Cord

Over the air & Netflix currently. Just started playing around with all the different streaming that's available online. PLENTY of stuff out there.

Over a year now and I really don't feel like I'm missing much. I haven't touched on Amazon or Hulu yet - but I hear there's about as much there as on Netflix.

The most annoying part is the almost daily mail from DirecTV begging me to come back.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

sweepin' down the plains Natston's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

For NBA/sports coverage, Sling is the way to go. ESPN/TNT/FSN streams, but the app seams clunky at times.
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Natston For This Useful Post:

We can get Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu through our tv. Sling does look like a good option. The only draw back i have seen is ROOT Sports does not stream anywhere and we like to watch the Astros.

So what are people paying who've cut the cord for internet access/speed? Who are your providers? Where are you? I'm in Johnson County, IN. Currently with Xfinity/Comcast as ISP. Metronet is available here. Seems dicier but noticeably more economical.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

I'm trying to figure out when cable/satellite, and the programmers/broadcasters, are going to realize they can't continue to gouge consumers. The costs are out of control and the added fees are crazy... Receiver (can't buy, have to rent... $$$).... Oh you want to use your DVR? $$$$..... Oh your receiver has the 'capability' to feed mini receivers in other rooms so $$$$.... You don't have mini receivers or TV's in other rooms?? Too bad... still gotta pay....

Yes, we still charge extra for HD packages even though HD is now the norm... $$$$
    No that channel is not available in your tier so.... $$$$$ if you want it...

We have to raise rates because local broadcasters are not renewing their contracts at the old rate.... $$$$ (BTW... this never should have been allowed... Government should've made local channels must carry for cable/satellite and broadcasters should've been forbidden from having their OTA advertiser supported channels being a cost to cable/sat providers for in market areas. Required carriage would've been a win-win for everyone, but now it's a net loss for consumers since broadcasters can hold cable/sat providers hostage at each renegotiation and consumers blame the provider for taking their local channel(s) away and pressure them to bring them back.... not realizing it's just going to drive the price up eventually. But I digress...
    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So what are people paying who've cut the cord for internet access/speed? Who are your providers? Where are you? I'm in Johnson County, IN. Currently with Xfinity/Comcast as ISP. Metronet is available here. Seems dicier but noticeably more economical.
    I use Xfinity in the Chicagoland area. 150mbps for $69/month.

PS Vue for streaming live Sports has been the best for me (and I tried them all, including Hulu live).

It was a happy day when I called Comcast and told them to cancel my TV service and take back their huge cable box/DVR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    Take MetroNet and run like hell. When you cancel with Comcast, tell them where to stick their ******** 1TB data cap that they are forcing on you.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    Take MetroNet and run like hell. When you cancel with Comcast, tell them where to stick their ******** 1TB data cap that they are forcing on you.
    I have MetroNet and Love it. Will be switching to PS Vue this summer and stepping back from our cable subscription.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    I wish. Where I live in the Chicago suburbs it's Comcast or AT&T Uverse. At least Comcast is fast. Even streaming all TV my family only uses 600MB or so of the 1TB cap.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to reiter883r For This Useful Post:

I'm thinking about cutting cable and internet, switching to T-MOBILE, and getting a Hotspot with unlimited data for my 4th line. Has anyone tried something like that?

Quote Originally Posted by reiter883r View Post
    I wish. Where I live in the Chicago suburbs it's Comcast or AT&T Uverse. At least Comcast is fast. Even streaming all TV my family only uses 600MB or so of the 1TB cap.

Someday we'll be free. Someday....
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "

Quote Originally Posted by reiter883r View Post
    I use Xfinity in the Chicagoland area. 150mbps for $69/month.

PS Vue for streaming live Sports has been the best for me (and I tried them all, including Hulu live).

It was a happy day when I called Comcast and told them to cancel my TV service and take back their huge cable box/DVR.

What level of PS Vue do you have and what do you use to stream it?

I have their "core" plan. It was $34/month when I signed up for it - $44/month now. I stream using an Amazon Fire TV but it does work with virtually every streaming device - Roku, Chromecast, Apple TV, etc.

I'm really happy with the PS Vue/Amazon Fire TV combo. It took a little bit to get used to (it's different) but my family loves it now. And like I said, no more ugly cable box!

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    I'm thinking about cutting cable and internet, switching to T-MOBILE, and getting a Hotspot with unlimited data for my 4th line. Has anyone tried something like that?
    I'd be concerned about the quality of streaming video (assuming you want to do that). If you can test it using the data plan on your phone I'd try that first.