Thread: The Girl Missing in Aruba

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default The Girl Missing in Aruba

I'm sorry that she is missing, and it looks like something bad has happened to her. But the question I have is, am I the only one that thinks it's strange that they sent 120 high school kids down there with only 7 chaperones? That is 17 kids per adult. I don't even like taking 4th graders anywhere without a 3-4 to 1 ratio. I wouldn't have sent my kid on that trip, no matter how good I though they were.

How could this girl have even left the hotel without someone knowing? The whole thing comes down to her making a very bad decision.

Default Re: The Girl Missing in Aruba

Back in high school, we took 22-25 or students to Europe with two teachers. We only lost one person -- one of my best friends -- for about 15 minutes.

I think I was the one that was supposed to keep track of him. You know, the buddy system. But I just completely forgot he went into Hagen-Daz (sp?). Of course, I remembered about three subway stops later, but hey ...

But they defintely were lax on keeping track on students. We had an entire day to ourselves in Lucrene, Switzerland. And we were defintely in 'other people's' rooms at 4 a.m.

I've chaperoned plenty of teenagers and I sure wonder at how loosely things were managed where she could get picked up by some guys at a club. That was one of the rules we had that would get you sent home - automatically. Of course the farthest we ever went was DC. But it's tough to go too nuts on this without knowing more specifics.

Most of the recommendations I've seen have a 10:1 student:chaperone ratio for teens.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

DK, even 10 - 1 is for a trip to the Antilles outrageously low.

I just saw they let the two security guards go due to lack of evidence, which amazed the cnn people, but is normal in the (Dutch) legal system there, If the DA holds no proof, you have to let go within a certain amount of time (3 days for none, 7 - 28 days for very little) the time incarcerated is basically for the DA (and the police) to "make" a case, if they can't the that's it, they can still build on it but not with the people in jail.
    3 remain in jail, which means they are very close to having a "real" case against them, one is the son of a judge (Dutch).

In the end however, opportunity creates et cetera. i would never have let my daughter go there without a much much higher chapperonne number and even then I still have doubts on "letting" her go.

Chance of anything like this happening are strangely enough much smaller if you as a parent are "around" somewhere.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

The girl is 18 years old isn't she? She might've broken the rules of the trip but if she had wanted to she could've said "Screw your rules" and did what she wanted anyway. She might've suffered the consequences of some loss of priveledges that went with the trip and been cut-off from the group and any benefits of being part of it... but what else could be done if she decided to exercise the fact that she is legally an adult?

...At least I am pretty sure she is 18...

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

according to newsreports I read she is 17

Sports Logo

Able we have basically the same rule regarding evidence I would think they would have been set free here are well. The problem is that you are watching CNN they are idiots who know nothing about our laws or the laws of any other nation.

LOL, I tend to follow this story in the Dutch (online) papers, easier, I more and more drop watching tele, no idea why that is, but it seems I only watch ball on it?

The girl is/was 18, the boy who is the son of an Aruban judge is 17. She had already graduated and IMO this trip would be no different than high schoolers that go to Spring Break. She made a bad decision that night and sadly it looks like it may have cost her her life.

To me this has had cover-up written all over it from day one. If not for the intense U.S. media presence this very likely would have been swept under the rug.

It is incredible to me that the 3 boys now being detained were allowed to remain free after giving a story to authorities about dropping the girl off at the hotel even though it was quickly proven to be a lie by the video cameras outside the hotel. The authorities then allowed these kids to point out the two security guards and had them arrested days later. Not only that, they just yesterday decided to search the beach area where the boys said they took the girl that night, but only after somebody else said they found panties and condoms nearby. PATHETIC!

I was watching Fox news last night and they said that the Van der Sloot kid has a known history of violence and lying, picking up women tourists, and basically being a hellraising playboy. He even got caught making a sex video with a 14 y/o. Yet the authorities didn't see any reason to think this kid could be a suspect? And now of course, he's pointing the finger at the other 2 kids after they fingered him. Hmmmm.... who to believe, the spoiled rich son of an Aruban judge who has gotten his son out of trouble many times already, or the 2 middle class brothers who hang out with the judge's son because they know his daddy will protect them?

I just hope that for the parents' sakes they find the girl very soon and justice is served.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

A cover up? Give me a break.

Btw the father of the main suspect is a judge in training if I'm not mistaken, he's not an appointed judge yet, I think.

I'm very sorry this happenned, very sorry, It's terrible what has happenned, but the media exposure this story has been getting is ... well how to say this without upsetting, I think the media are blowing this story out of proportion by the attention it's getting. IF the media would jump on every murder in the States like they have done in this case, well...

I think the kid did it and threw her water into the ocean. With any badluck it was done near the light tower at the north of the island, it's the only point where some of the more dangerous sharks do come and the point where the current is probably the strongest. I would be seriously surprised if anything, but fingerprints on for example a boat will be found of this poor girl

Btw as a sidenote: Aruba is known as one of the safest islands in the Carribean. Curacao, another Dutch Antilles island, is a totally different matter though crime and violence run rampant there.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think the kid did it and threw her water into the ocean.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning
    I think the kid did it and threw her water into the ocean.
    Quote Originally Posted by SINCE86

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Is anyone else getting tired of her mother? She is trying to tell the police how to do their job, what they're doing wrong, etc. I know she is upset that her daughter is missing/dead, but she is not above the law.

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Huxtable
    Is anyone else getting tired of her mother? She is trying to tell the police how to do their job, what they're doing wrong, etc. I know she is upset that her daughter is missing/dead, but she is not above the law.
    You obviously don't have children.

Of course I don't. She has every right to want them looking for her daughter, but we have (from the last I heard) 6 freaking FBI agents down there. Meanwhile, there are 100's if not 1000's of children missing in the States that don't get this kind of media attention or as much searching. I'm not saying that she shouldn't want her daughter to be found, but she is telling the police in Aruba what to do and to me thats not acceptible.

Another thing that irks me is those missing kids in Idaho were really just blurbs on the news compared to this, and this has been going on for over a month. You know it gets too much media attention when Gretta van Sustren (sp?) has had her entire show in Aruba for a couple weeks.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That's just the way the media is.

Is Scott Peterson the only man to allegedly murder his wife? No way. But there was something about that story that the media found appealing enough to basically throw it in your face for 2 years.

The media latches on to the stories that they think will interest the public the most.