Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Myles Turner Era

Undefeated

Default Re: The Myles Turner Era

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm still waiting for Paul George to add a back to the basket game too. So maybe they can figure it out together.
    And when is he going to sharpen up his dribbling skills?? He's been too loose with the ball for years. Seems like every off-season we heard about how his dribbling improved, then ever year it was all over the place. And can't they practice something to help improve his shooting at clutch time? Dude is broke at the end of games!
    Danger Zone

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rogco For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Yeah I'm not ready for the Myles Turner era, he was anything but special last year.
    You mean he wasn't the EC best center (or on his way to it)? Think PD was a tad too quick to anoint him such.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by MiaDragon View Post
    You mean he wasn't the EC best center (or on his way to it)? Think PD was a tad too quick to anoint him such.
    We were definitely too hard on him. At 20 years old he put up 14.5ppg, 7.3 rpg, and 2.1 bpg, which was third in the league. And his FG% was 51%.

He certainly had his ups and downs, but for a 20 year old, those numbers are fantastic.

5. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    We were definitely too hard on him. At 20 years old he put up 14.5ppg, 7.3 rpg, and 2.1 bpg, which was third in the league. And his FG% was 51%.

He certainly had his ups and downs, but for a 20 year old, those numbers are fantastic.
    And he did that being 3rd-4th fiddle. Next year, assuming Monta is finally gone or leashed severely, and Teague is also gone, Turner is likely our first option, or at least he should be, so it's not hard to see those numbers seeing a big jump. It's hard for me to see us bringing in a "bigger dog" in this off-season.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    Not that he makes much of a difference, but you forgot Thad
    His last name is Young, no? Surely you didn't think me so daft as to suggest JOE Young be a starter?
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    His last name is Young, no? Surely you didn't think me so daft as to suggest JOE Young be a starter?
    LMAO I legit thought you meant Joe! Hahahahaha

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

If we fail to properly build around Myles like we did Paul we could see him walk out of here a few years from now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    And he did that being 3rd-4th fiddle. Next year, assuming Monta is finally gone or leashed severely, and Teague is also gone, Turner is likely our first option, or at least he should be, so it's not hard to see those numbers seeing a big jump. It's hard for me to see us bringing in a "bigger dog" in this off-season.
    If Myles is going to be the number one option offensively, he's going to need to learn some type of offensive move.

Right now he's basically a catch and shoot guy. But with the dearth of offensive talent around him, he won't get as easy of looks as he had last year.

His stroke will help alleviate some of this, but if we want his shooting percentage to remain high, he's going to have to put in some major work this offseason.

I have zero doubt's that he will put in the work though. Its just a matter of him having the confidence to execute those moves during the season

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Mood

If Myles is going to be the number one option offensively, he's going to need to learn some type of offensive move.

Right now he's basically a catch and shoot guy. But with the dearth of offensive talent around him, he won't get as easy of looks as he had last year.

His stroke will help alleviate some of this, but if we want his shooting percentage to remain high, he's going to have to put in some major work this offseason.

I have zero doubt's that he will put in the work though. Its just a matter of him having the confidence to execute those moves during the season
    As I continue to try to support the drafting of TJ Leaf, I am coming around to his offensive upside. He's definitely going to need to add strength, but his game on offense is very well-rounded. He's capable of posting up, attacking, getting put backs, and we all know he can shoot out to 3-pt range consistently. If he can bring the energy and work ethic to the weight room and the court, he and Myles will be quite the offensive duo.
    It's a new day for Pacers Basketball.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy View Post
    As I continue to try to support the drafting of TJ Leaf, I am coming around to his offensive upside. He's definitely going to need to add strength, but his game on offense is very well-rounded. He's capable of posting up, attacking, getting put backs, and we all know he can shoot out to 3-pt range consistently. If he can bring the energy and work ethic to the weight room and the court, he and Myles will be quite the offensive duo.
    One of the things about Leaf too, and who knows if this will carry over to the NBA but he was a pretty good rebounder in college.
    Last edited by BlueCollarColts; 06-26-2017 at 03:11 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

One move he should be able to add pretty easily is that Aldridge style turn around jumper. Turner can obviously shoot and has a pretty quick release so that should be a move he's capable of adding. I'd really like to see him work on his post-game though. He doesn't need to be David West down there, but just good enough to keep a defender honest from completely focusing on his jumper.
    Last edited by BlueCollarColts; 06-26-2017 at 03:13 PM.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    One of the things about Leaf too, and who knows if this will carry over to the NBA but he was a pretty good rebounder in college too.
    I'm hoping it carries over, but he's definitely going to get stronger. Those noodles he calls arms won't cut it in the NBA. But he and the team, and anyone with eyeballs, knows that. But he just turned 20 in April, so it's not like he's reached his physical peak.
    It's a new day for Pacers Basketball.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I like Myles and all. But if he is your best player (and I am not saying anyone did in this thread) then your team isn't going to be very good. At his peak if he is your third best player than you have a excellent team - contender or close to it.

I understand the need or at least the want to blame PG for everything now, I get it, but I believe to blame PG for some of Turner's troubles last year is baseless. In fact if you want to blame anyone and I think blame is the wrong, but Nate came out on more than one occasion and indicated they are working with Turner on when to shoot and when not too, getting him away from feeling like he needs to shoot every time he gets the ball.

Here is an article and some comments from Nate

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports...ring/98957500/

Except here’s the thing: The Indiana Pacers (33-31) also need their second-year center to continue to think and play the way he did in Wednesday night’s 115-98 home victory over the Detroit Pistons. That means setting more screens, knowing when to pass the ball and when the game calls for him to be the scorer he wants to be.
    “The game has really gone to the five man being involved in pin-downs or pick-and-rolls and a lot of times that ball is thrown to him and he’s got to make reads,” Pacers coach Nate McMillan said. “It’s not shooting every time, but it’s taking what the defense is giving you and making the right read. I thought last night was probably his best game of making those reads of the pick-and-rolls and the pin-downs.”
    I'll tell you what scares me about Myles.

Anthony Davis.

What I mean by that is that it really is hard, if not impossible to build around a tall player who is not low post dominant (although no player like that exists anymore). But let's be real Myles is never going to be as good as Davis (not a diss at Myles but Davis is just that good) and the guy has never sniffed the playoffs. Sure he's had some bad teams but Myles is about to go through a phase of that as well.

I believe Myles can be a piece (a big piece) but yea I'm like you I don't think he can be the # 1 player. I do however think he could be # 2.

We either need a really super wing or do something that we have never done before and find that all-star point guard that we've never had.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    do something that we have never done before and find that all-star point guard that we've never had.
    I'm assuming, then, that by "all-star point guard" you mean something other than "point guard who has been named to an all-star team"?
    BillS

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
    Or throw in a first-round pick and flip it for a max-level point guard...

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think Myles Turner's ceiling is LaMarcus Aldridge (prime), which is an all-star big man and definitely a good thing. However, I'm not sure he'll ever be a true franchise player. Hopefully, I'm proven wrong though.

Anthony Davis.

What I mean by that is that it really is hard, if not impossible to build around a tall player who is not low post dominant (although no player like that exists anymore). But let's be real Myles is never going to be as good as Davis (not a diss at Myles but Davis is just that good) and the guy has never sniffed the playoffs. Sure he's had some bad teams but Myles is about to go through a phase of that as well.

I believe Myles can be a piece (a big piece) but yea I'm like you I don't think he can be the # 1 player. I do however think he could be # 2.

We either need a really super wing or do something that we have never done before and find that all-star point guard that we've never had.
    AD did make the playoffs a couple of years ago and lost 0-4 to the Warriors in the first round. He played great though.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Anthony Davis.

I don't think it's hard to build around a versatile big that isn't post dominant. I think Pelicans have been decimated with injuries over the years, AD included.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    One of the things about Leaf too, and who knows if this will carry over to the NBA but he was a pretty good rebounder in college.
    I'd be highly surprised if it did. Only due to his frame and his perimiter game. But hey, even Ryan Anderson avg 7 rebounds per game once in his career...

If Leaf can be an offensive focal point off fhe bench offensively, I will be more than happy.

Quote Originally Posted by freddielewis14 View Post
    I don't think it's hard to build around a versatile big that isn't post dominant. I think Pelicans have been decimated with injuries over the years, AD included.
    Name one who's team has done well the past 3-4 years?

I think guys like Aldridge, or even Marc Gasol (who is post dominant) show that you need a strong team around them in order to maximize their success.

Edit: I really can't tell you the last team that successfully built around a big man in recent memory

Pacers just need to be building intelligently. What kind of players do you need around Myles? Guys who can spread the floor a bit, but also at least one or two who can get their own shot, and then at least a couple solid rebounders. Instead of focusing on what Myles can't do as a negative, we need to be focusing on those issues as a way to focus our roster building efforts. Not many teams start the process of moving on from their star with a bird in the hand like Myles Turner who is not only talented, but still young and has 2 years of experience under his belt.

This is something the Pacers did fail at with Paul after the decline of the back to back ECF team. Paul needed shooters, Paul needed guys who could fire him up (we can debate what this says about PG but it's true), Paul needed consistent players to carry his offensive game when it lapsed. Instead Larry got a bunch of mostly even keeled guys who outside of CJ Miles couldn't shoot and were just as inconsistent offensively as Paul George and then he got rid of the defining trait of teams built around Paul when he basically dumped the concept of defense in the trash last summer.

I think guys like Aldridge, or even Marc Gasol (who is post dominant) show that you need a strong team around them in order to maximize their success.

Edit: I really can't tell you the last team that successfully built around a big man in recent memory
    Probably the Magic around Dwight in terms of "This guy is clearly our best player and everything we do is about him."

I don't think Myles is that kind of guy but I also think the NBA is evolving in a way where it's more important than ever for star's talents to compliment each other. That's the thing about Steph, Klay and Draymond and the way the warriors first built that team, you can make the argument that any of those 3 guys on their own loses something that makes them special in golden state.

On any other team Steph Curry isn't hidden on defense by Klay and Dray and Iggy.

On any other team Klay's inability to make shots for himself might turn a 20 PPG guy into a 15 PPG guy (though his defense would still be fantastic.) In Golden State though he has Dray and Steph creating a lot for him and he just needs to get open.

On any other team Draymond is good at everything, but a master of none and doesn't have a go to anything in crunch time.

KD like the 10 in 1 multi tool. Steph, Klay and Dray are in some ways just all really good wrenches. I'm not saying they'd be bad in other situations, they'd all still probably be all stars or at least borderline, but they'd be very different guys.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

I would say you need a strong team to build around any position unless you have Lebron or Durant level player.

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to freddielewis14 For This Useful Post:

Myles is Ibaka 2.0, you are not building a team around Ibaka 2.0 or the real Ibaka for that matter.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

Anthony Davis.

NBA has evolved into essentially a perimeter game. Guards and wings dominate, not post players/bigs. In addition Myles best attribute, the mid range jumper, is also quickly becoming obsolete. It's all about the 3, or layups, like NCAA. If Myles is our best player going forward, we have no chance.
    Being unable to close out a game in which you have a comfortable lead in the 4th Q = Pulling a Frank Vogel

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    I'm assuming, then, that by "all-star point guard" you mean something other than "point guard who has been named to an all-star team"?
    Yea I knew the minute I typed that I should have been far more descriptive. Mark Jackson obviously was a great p.g. and was an all-star. However since then we have not had a single point guard even really be considered. We've had some good p.g.'s but no great ones.

What I'm talking about though is having a pg who is around 20 & 10 himself. I'm not sure that we as a team have ever had pg who we built around.

BTW I'm not advocating this, I'm just saying it is an option.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13