Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 136

Thread: The Myles Turner Era

  1. #1
    Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6,471

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default The Myles Turner Era

    Right?

    We're there, I think. It's now.

    Me personally, I'm pretty ready for it. It's sad to see the PG era go out like this, but it is what it is. Assuming we get what we think for PG (ie. not much, and what we do get will be future picks and/or young guys), it's pretty safe to assume that this is Myles' team now.

    I know Myles is young, and he's probably not yet going to reach his full potential this year on the court, but this is a huge opportunity for him this next year to establish himself not only as a true rising star, but as the face/cornerstone of this franchise.

    I'm good with it. On-court skills aside, Myles has way more charisma and personality than PG did. I think he has potential to be a lot more marketable, not just for us, but for the league in general. I think he's on track to be a helluva leader, and he seems like a genuinely great kid. He's fantastic in the community already.

    On the court, I sort of got the sense last year that, even if he might have hit the 2nd year wall a bit... it also felt like he was getting "PG'd" at times. Like he was getting buried a bit on offense. I can't count the number of times he was in position and calling for the ball and PG and/or Monta would look him off for no apparent reason. Well, that ain't happenin' this year.

    I really hope they unleash this beast this year, make him option #1, make the offense go through him, and let's see what this kid can do.

    Here's a nice podcast with Myles talking, and he just comes across so well-spoken and assertive:
    https://soundcloud.com/thehoopshypep...son-goals-ep-8
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 06-26-2017 at 12:45 AM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

  2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    29
    Posts
    39,901

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Myles Turner Era

    Pretty hard to argue that Myles might be more marketable than Paul George who has gatorade, a signature nike shoe and was on the cover of 2k. Myles would be doing well to even match that.

    Having said that I agree with the premise of your post.



  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    15,003

    Default Re: The Myles Turner Era

    I know we don't want to load up the team with Vets because I know we are wanting to be young. But I really hope we can land one good old solid vet who can be an ear and a sounding board for Myles. He is a solid guy but man I really don't want him to have to be thrust into the role of leader when he really hasn't been prepped for it. I honestly don't think Paul really was a good example for Myles to follow. Who out there fits the description of being a veteran player who has played for some winners, who is still serviceable but does not need to start? Somebody wanting to be a mentor.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:


  7. #4

    Default Re: The Myles Turner Era

    It is a new era, definitely. This season won't be for those who want to win a championship right now, but then again how many teams really have a shot this year? As far as marketability I think he is certainly more of a "people person" than PG is. However, as you say his on-court skills aren't at PG level, and wings tend to be more marketable than bigs, from my observations over the years. As a leader I think Myles has potential to far exceed PG, although that's probably not saying a lot.

    The most interesting storylines to me this year will be Myles and Lance. Myles for the reasons you've already noted. Will he take a big step forward this season given more offensive opportunities? Lance because despite everything that has happened in his career (mostly self-inflicted), despite the fact he was *this* close to being out of the league just 3 months ago, he's actually entering a summer where he has an opportunity to go further as an NBA player than he has gone at any point in his career. Will he capture it, or just let it slip?

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to ndcoltsnpacers For This Useful Post:


  9. #5
    trifectasauces.com CJ Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,358

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Myles Turner Era

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know we don't want to load up the team with Vets because I know we are wanting to be young. But I really hope we can land one good old solid vet who can be an ear and a sounding board for Myles. He is a solid guy but man I really don't want him to have to be thrust into the role of leader when he really hasn't been prepped for it. I honestly don't think Paul really was a good example for Myles to follow. Who out there fits the description of being a veteran player who has played for some winners, who is still serviceable but does not need to start? Somebody wanting to be a mentor.
    Z-bo maybe? He's from Marion.

  10. #6
    Pacer fan since 1993 Ragnar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Age
    45
    Posts
    7,092

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Myles Turner Era

    Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Z-bo maybe? He's from Marion.
    Pretty sure he is not leaving Memphis.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ragnar For This Useful Post:


  12. #7
    The Dude Abides pizza guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Indy
    Age
    29
    Posts
    4,684
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Myles Turner Era

    I think Myles has a real chance to continue our trend of Pacers winning Most Improved Player. Lance might get some buzz, but Myles will undoubtedly be the focal point. He averaged 14.5/7.2 this last year as maybe the third option. I think he can make the move (even if it's a "best player on a bad team" thing) up to 20/10 this year.

    From the community involvement and public persona perspective, Myles is a dream for this franchise. He's incredible. As long as we can keep him here!

    I've been high on Myles since before we drafted him, and I think he's definitely an All Star this coming season. That said, as we move forward and try to rebuild and get back to that ECF contender status in a few years, Myles cannot do it alone. He's going to need help from a wing and a guard that are at least on his level, and likely even better than he is. I don't think, even as much as I like him, that he's ever going to be that best player on a championship team. He's going to be a great player on a championship-level team, but he should be second option if you want to compete. I also don't know about his potential as a team leader. He's a great talent and great persona, and I think he can absolutely grow into a leadership role - but he shouldn't be THE guy yet. We've got to stop handing the "team leader" label to guys before they're ready. We've got to stop designating that from the front office, and allow a true, natural leader to join this roster and take the reins because they don't know any other way.

    All that said, let the Myles Turner era begin! I'm pumped for it, and looking forward to what it brings!
    It's a new day for Pacers Basketball.

  13. #8
    Member Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,985

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Myles Turner Era

    I'm pretty high on Myles on the court, and year 3 plus suddenly being the first option could result in a pretty nice year for him. Off the floor, since he was drafted I've read that he's mature beyond his years, great attitude, intelligent, extremely hard worker, and I've seen nothing to make me think that isn't true. He really could be special.

    And this week on social media and at the draft he seemed pretty sharp and also seemed pretty positive and friendly to our new guys. He just might be one of those extremely rare young leaders. I don't want to say it's a given, but I'll say I'm hopeful.

    And if he's not a leader, I hope Pritchard goes and gets one for him so we don't fall back into the trap of insisting our best player is a leader even when he isn't.

  14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:


  15. #9
    FIRE PRITCHARD! TheDavisBrothers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Davenport, IA
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,204
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Myles Turner Era

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who out there fits the description of being a veteran player who has played for some winners, who is still serviceable but does not need to start? Somebody wanting to be a mentor.
    David West

  16. #10
    Peace Dog D-BONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Sonic Temple
    Posts
    9,064

    Default Re: The Myles Turner Era

    Assuming no re-signs or more departures, what's our starting lineup currently?

    Myles
    Leaf
    Stephenson
    Ellis
    Young

    That's pretty putrid. Obviously, we'll probably add something to that. But we can't assume significant impact from whatever additions there might be. That lineup, or something relatively similar, should easily be good for a top 8 pick. Barring an unexpected piece in a PG trade that upgrades our starters markedly and re-signing Teague, it looks like a full-on rebuild to me. Perhaps one that can begin to show progress in a couple years, but a rebuild none the less.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

    -Emiliano Zapata

  17. #11
    Member Ace E.Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    17,400

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Myles Turner Era

    Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Assuming no re-signs or more departures, what's our starting lineup currently?

    Myles
    Leaf
    Stephenson
    Ellis
    Young

    That's pretty putrid. Obviously, we'll probably add something to that. But we can't assume significant impact from whatever additions there might be. That lineup, or something relatively similar, should easily be good for a top 8 pick. Barring an unexpected piece in a PG trade that upgrades our starters markedly and re-signing Teague, it looks like a full-on rebuild to me. Perhaps one that can begin to show progress in a couple years, but a rebuild none the less.
    Not that he makes much of a difference, but you forgot Thad

  18. #12
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    34,772

    Default Re: The Myles Turner Era

    I like Myles and all. But if he is your best player (and I am not saying anyone did in this thread) then your team isn't going to be very good. At his peak if he is your third best player than you have a excellent team - contender or close to it.

    I understand the need or at least the want to blame PG for everything now, I get it, but I believe to blame PG for some of Turner's troubles last year is baseless. In fact if you want to blame anyone and I think blame is the wrong, but Nate came out on more than one occasion and indicated they are working with Turner on when to shoot and when not too, getting him away from feeling like he needs to shoot every time he gets the ball.

    Here is an article and some comments from Nate

    http://www.indystar.com/story/sports...ring/98957500/

    Except here’s the thing: The Indiana Pacers (33-31) also need their second-year center to continue to think and play the way he did in Wednesday night’s 115-98 home victory over the Detroit Pistons. That means setting more screens, knowing when to pass the ball and when the game calls for him to be the scorer he wants to be.
    “The game has really gone to the five man being involved in pin-downs or pick-and-rolls and a lot of times that ball is thrown to him and he’s got to make reads,” Pacers coach Nate McMillan said. “It’s not shooting every time, but it’s taking what the defense is giving you and making the right read. I thought last night was probably his best game of making those reads of the pick-and-rolls and the pin-downs.”

  19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  20. #13
    Member vnzla81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    36
    Posts
    35,161

    Default Re: The Myles Turner Era

    Yeah I'm not ready for the Myles Turner era, he was anything but special last year.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

  21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vnzla81 For This Useful Post:


  22. #14
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    58
    Posts
    17,089

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Myles Turner Era

    This will be Myles' third year in the league after a sophomore slump year at center. I don't understand how anyone can write him off as "he is what he is" already.

    This year will tell. I agree with Peck - bring in a vet big man maybe slightly past his prime but with the attitude and playing style we want Myles to cultivate.

    For right now, though, it's between Lance's brand of crazy and Myles' brand of basketball to determine the face of the franchise for 2017-2018.
    BillS

    A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
    Or throw in a first-round pick and flip it for a max-level point guard...

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:


  24. #15

    Default Re: The Myles Turner Era

    I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought Myles got "PG'd", as you say. I remember at the home opener, Myles went bananas and scored like 30 and 16 with 5 blocks or something crazy. I thought to myself "this is the future", with Myles dominating down low and the moment teams focus on him, BAM Paul George time. I guess that is not the vision the team had, as it slowly became the Paul George Show, which wasn't the worst decision as he was really good this year.

    Again, there were a lot of reasons including Myles hitting a wall, but I definitely think extra focus will help his game.

  25. #16
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    29
    Posts
    39,901

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Myles Turner Era

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know we don't want to load up the team with Vets because I know we are wanting to be young. But I really hope we can land one good old solid vet who can be an ear and a sounding board for Myles. He is a solid guy but man I really don't want him to have to be thrust into the role of leader when he really hasn't been prepped for it. I honestly don't think Paul really was a good example for Myles to follow. Who out there fits the description of being a veteran player who has played for some winners, who is still serviceable but does not need to start? Somebody wanting to be a mentor.
    Myles has more natural leadership attributes than PG IMO.



  26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  27. #17
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    29
    Posts
    39,901

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Myles Turner Era

    Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Z-bo maybe? He's from Marion.
    Imagine traveling back in time 10 years and telling yourself you would post this about Randolph



  28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  29. #18

    Default Re: The Myles Turner Era

    I think Myles is still 1-2 years off from being a consistent across-the-season terror, but can absolutely get there. Guess I'd like to see him become a bit nastier, or more forceful. Last year, he kinda reminded me of George Hill at times with the "aw shucks, let me just be as deferential as possible" routine. Think a talent like Myles should always be dominating at least one end of the floor.

  30. #19
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    29
    Posts
    39,901

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Myles Turner Era

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like Myles and all. But if he is your best player (and I am not saying anyone did in this thread) then your team isn't going to be very good. At his peak if he is your third best player than you have a excellent team - contender or close to it.

    I understand the need or at least the want to blame PG for everything now, I get it, but I believe to blame PG for some of Turner's troubles last year is baseless. In fact if you want to blame anyone and I think blame is the wrong, but Nate came out on more than one occasion and indicated they are working with Turner on when to shoot and when not too, getting him away from feeling like he needs to shoot every time he gets the ball.

    Here is an article and some comments from Nate

    http://www.indystar.com/story/sports...ring/98957500/

    Except here’s the thing: The Indiana Pacers (33-31) also need their second-year center to continue to think and play the way he did in Wednesday night’s 115-98 home victory over the Detroit Pistons. That means setting more screens, knowing when to pass the ball and when the game calls for him to be the scorer he wants to be.
    “The game has really gone to the five man being involved in pin-downs or pick-and-rolls and a lot of times that ball is thrown to him and he’s got to make reads,” Pacers coach Nate McMillan said. “It’s not shooting every time, but it’s taking what the defense is giving you and making the right read. I thought last night was probably his best game of making those reads of the pick-and-rolls and the pin-downs.”

    I guess to me this doesn't account for Myles growing and improving. Myles at 20 years old is a better player than Paul George was at the same age, different positions, different scenarios, etc.

    Of course the Pacers needed Myles to do more of the things Nate talks about when PG was on the roster, but now we need Myles to be the focal point. It's on the Pacers to fill out the roster around that. Something they failed to do with Paul.

    I also think it's a bit of a non-truth to say Myles is being thrust into the role too soon. Basically as soon as he was drafted he was already the second most important player on the roster even if we didn't know it at the time, and this year he certainly was the second most important player on the roster. I think Myles is actually growing about how you would expect a young player to grow. The Pacers were in more of a transitional phase than they ever cared to admit the past 2 years.



  31. #20
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    29
    Posts
    39,901

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Myles Turner Era

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah I'm not ready for the Myles Turner era, he was anything but special last year.
    Haha what? There are like 4 dudes in the past 30 years who had seasons like Myles just had at the age of 20.



  32. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  33. #21
    Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6,471

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Myles Turner Era

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I understand the need or at least the want to blame PG for everything now, I get it, but I believe to blame PG for some of Turner's troubles last year is baseless.
    I think it's understood that we are not a contender next year, so expecting a 21-year-old, still-maturing center to take us to the Finals is an obvious mistake. Next year is a growth year, a build year.

    But my stance that he was "PG'd" at times has nothing to do with the recent PG events. I, along with others, all noticed it happening last season, even really before he hit his slump. I don't know it was some philsophical thing, or some old-guys freeze-out thing, but it just felt like at times last year there were obvious opportunities to throw it to Myles and guys looked right at him and then looked away.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

  34. #22
    Member vnzla81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    36
    Posts
    35,161

    Default Re: The Myles Turner Era

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Haha what? There are like 4 dudes in the past 30 years who had seasons like Myles just had at the age of 20.
    Sure but I'm still not ready to give him the keys for nothing, lets wait until he can post up a chair and then we can talk about all this.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

  35. #23
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    29
    Posts
    39,901

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Myles Turner Era

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sure but I'm still not ready to give him the keys for nothing, lets wait until he can post up a chair and then we can talk about all this.
    I'm still waiting for Paul George to add a back to the basket game too. So maybe they can figure it out together.



  36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  37. #24
    The Dude Abides pizza guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Indy
    Age
    29
    Posts
    4,684
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Myles Turner Era

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Haha what? There are like 4 dudes in the past 30 years who had seasons like Myles just had at the age of 20.
    If we start to downplay how good Myles is now, the inevitable loss of Myles to a big market/hometown/super-team/wherever Vegas or the media want him will sting less because we can internalize the denial for the next five years or so.
    It's a new day for Pacers Basketball.

  38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:


  39. #25
    Undefeated
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Carmel
    Age
    40
    Posts
    4,302

    Default Re: The Myles Turner Era

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This will be Myles' third year in the league after a sophomore slump year at center. I don't understand how anyone can write him off as "he is what he is" already.

    This year will tell. I agree with Peck - bring in a vet big man maybe slightly past his prime but with the attitude and playing style we want Myles to cultivate.

    For right now, though, it's between Lance's brand of crazy and Myles' brand of basketball to determine the face of the franchise for 2017-2018.
    I agree with this except for the bold part. I'd rather we brought in a vet who did the dirty work and fought in the trenches. I think Myles could learn more not from a 3-pt and jump shooting vet, but one who knows how to put a body on you, plays team ball, makes the extra pass and will give you a condom when you go to the strip club.
    Last edited by Rogco; 06-26-2017 at 01:18 PM.
    Danger Zone

  40. The Following User Says Thank You to Rogco For This Useful Post:


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •