Thread: The star is being sued...

Default The star is being sued...

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Default Re: The star is being sued...

They're saying one of the most consistently conservative news papers in the nation discriminates against Christians?

I'm completely and totally confused.

Well, maybe this will scare a few people into reading the other Indy papers - wait a minute - there aren't any, so never mind.

IMO the Star has the right to hire and fire who they want to. It's hard to say that they're being discriminated against because they're Christian - they were canned (well, 1 resigned) because what they wrote had a very Christian perspective - and the Star didn't want that.

Next time someone who comes up with Jimmy the Greek style quotes is fired they'll claim discrimination because, after all, they're entitled to their opinions.

Well, you are - and the media outlet is entitled to decide if they want those opinions published in their name.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Star will win this easily. Freedom of the press means you can write/express your opinions, but it does not guarantee you can do so through a private enterprise such as Gannet/The Star.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Well, just to pile on...... They're also claiming age and racial discrimination.
    The star's response? "We don't discriminate."

To their credit, the star is trying to be more balanced and the mostly conservative readership is having a problem with it. However, they're also leaning toward more fluff and less substance, if that's even possible for them. Anybody remember the last time there was a series of investigative articles? Me neither. School dropout articles don't count.

Yet another dumbing down to the least common denominator while they struggle to maintain advertising income with almost no print competition. I would imagine Gannet was probably appalled when they found out what they bought.

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by obnoxiousmodesty
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Star will win this easily. Freedom of the press means you can write/express your opinions, but it does not guarantee you can do so through a private enterprise such as Gannet/The Star.

Ding Ding Ding.

The Bill of Rights only applies to the government coming down on us. It does not prevent private institutions/corporations/businesses from discriminating.