Thread: Four NBA Teams Will Face Off Against Europe’s Finest

Default Four NBA Teams Will Face Off Against Europe’s Finest

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar...uropes_finest/

NBA Teams to Play Against European Clubs
    By CHRIS SHERIDAN
    The Associated Press
    Tuesday, June 14, 2005; 9:15 PM
    AUBURN HILLS, Mich. -- Four NBA teams will hold training camps overseas and play preseason games against top European clubs in both 2006 and 2007, NBA commissioner David Stern announced Tuesday night at Game 3 of the NBA Finals.
    Stern also said the league was considering playing an All-Star game in Paris as part of the NBA's effort to increase its presence in global markets.
    Also, the league is strongly considering playing exhibition games in China and Latin America in 2006.

With this said and done, would you want the Pacers to play over seas? I wouldn't just because if one of our important players gets injuried for the season we would be screwed..

Default Re: Four NBA Teams Will Face Off Against Europe’s Finest

No...It's a stupid idea. I don't want the Pacers to go over and get beat...but I wouldn't mind seeing the Pistons going over and getting waxed, with someone going down too.
    Sorry, I didn't know advertising was illegal here. Someone call the cops!

I think this is a good idea if you're into the leagues eventual plans to expand overseas. It would obviously be an attempt to gauge how much interest there would be there for american styled basketball.

Not sure how I feel about it. Of course, global interest in the game can only be a good thing but then there's the issue of injuries and so forth.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Would that all star game be taped delayed? Like it maters.

I just hate it when professional leagues expand and mess up the nice even division lineups. I won't be able to deal with 5 divisions of 5 and one of 6. It'll kill me.

I think it'll be good, if for no other reason than we can show the world that they don't have the best basketball players, they just have a bunch of good basketball players that have played together. Any NBA TEAM that goes over there will trounce whoever they play. We do poorly in the olympics and such because we treat it like an all-star game, and the talent level isn't nearly what is was in the days of the Dream Team...for them OR for us! I still believe we have better players overall, though, and a well-organized team will beat the euro clubs easily.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Eindar
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think it'll be good, if for no other reason than we can show the world that they don't have the best basketball players, they just have a bunch of good basketball players that have played together. Any NBA TEAM that goes over there will trounce whoever they play. We do poorly in the olympics and such because we treat it like an all-star game, and the talent level isn't nearly what is was in the days of the Dream Team...for them OR for us! I still believe we have better players overall, though, and a well-organized team will beat the euro clubs easily.
    Finally!!!!!! One American who still believes that!!!!! props to you....

So... will they play NBA rules or European rules? And who will officiate the games?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by rabidpacersfan
    So... will they play NBA rules or European rules? And who will officiate the games?
    Are European rules really that different?

Im guessing there will be a mix of european refs and NBA refs.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyPacers67
    Are European rules really that different?

Im guessing there will be a mix of european refs and NBA refs.
    Well, you know, they don't have traveling or double-dribbles anymore in American rules... and if Shaq plays there's no three-second rule either.

If we're going over there to showcase our league, why would we be playing intl rules with their refs? Nooooo, we take our teams over there, we play nba rules with nba refs and let THEM ADJUST TO US for a change.

How is adding some European expansion teams (no it can't be just one, think about the logistics) going to "fly" in the nba with the increased travel expenses to the owners? Granted the western conference already has more expenses than the east due to distances travelled. We hear all the time about how tired the players were after travelling. Why won't this be a killer of a factor when say the Clippers travel 12 hours to play the Frankfort Weiners? Don't they get jet lag?

Perhaps the only way this works is for an entire european division to play its games over there and then send its best 2 teams to the playoffs where they can sit in Bayonne NJ and play all road games. Will they participate in the draft as well or draft only europeans? Do you think Schtern has thought of any of this or does he just see the dollar signs?