Page 100 of 130 FirstFirst ... 509096979899100101102103104110 ... LastLast
Results 2,476 to 2,500 of 3244

Thread: NBA 2017 Offseason Thread

Sports Logo

Default Re: NBA 2017 Offseason Thread

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No that's Eddie White. vnzla posted that because Peck is a big Vogel fan
    I honestly have no clue what Peck looks like.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    There was a post once. After a Channing Frye shot to beat the Pacers at home. A, rip your heart from your chest, killer shot. That had Peck, Diamond Dave, Naptown Seth and I don't remember who else. If I was google skilled, I would post it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to xIndyFan For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    But my point was you don't eliminate tanking with these various schemes to stop it, you just change the teams that tank.
    With the playoff system you remove the benefit of being the worst team. Teams would want to be competitive enough to get a high pick. So the level of play across the NBA should rise.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I still love The Wheel. Yeah, some good teams might get high picks, but that's not their fault. It would completely take away tanking, it would result in some middling or good but not great teams to get over the hump and challenge the elite teams, and it would result in picks being able to be traded years in advance with the exact pick being known. I would love to think about the team knowing they have the 2020 number one overall pick and already scouting for that. I also like to think about the Pacers, instead of getting the 26th pick in the 2012 draft, getting the 3rd pick and getting Bradley Beal instead of Miles Plumlee.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/th...-to-the-wheel/

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

the draft "playoff" just seems really counter intuitive to me. "tanking," in terms of teams purposefully losing games is INCREDIBLY overblown and rarely happens.

Team X sucks and has a junk roster. they play to win but just aren't good enough to actually do it, Team X now has to win games to get a better draft pick? how the hell are truly bad teams that friggin stink supposed to get a top tier draft pick? it won't prevent tanking, it'll encourage it if anything. you'll have mediocre teams that could probably get a 7/8 seed sitting guys in January and February. it's not a coincidence Riley proposed it, he's never been a bottom out type of dude.

the only thing that needs fixed about the draft is the lotto needs to be strictly record based. and then we gotta get rid of divisions. and then we gotta get rid of conferences. and then we gotta get a 1:1 schedule.

How about this....

The team with the worst record in each conference gets removed from the schedule for the following season.

You don't think players, coaches and GM's wouldn't be doing everything possible to win games?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jose Slaughter For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Slaughter View Post
    How about this....

The team with the worst record in each conference gets removed from the schedule for the following season.

You don't think players, coaches and GM's wouldn't be doing everything possible to win games?
    I'm sure the players union and the owners would both just love that.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Slaughter View Post
    How about this....

The delegation system the Premier League has is great, great fun. Not realistic for the NBA, but I'm not one that thinks tanking is a huge problem, either.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Dude, when you were in town you and I stood and talked for about a half an hour inside the fieldhouse. But since you don't remember here is a quick drawing

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    I'm sure the players union and the owners would both just love that.
    How is it even possible that there's an idea that both sides would love?

Maybe it's time to resurrect my "no dribbling" proposal!

Instead of the lottery system deciding the top 3 picks, it should change to decide the top 6 picks. The advantage to tanking is if you have the worst record, you're guaranteed to have no worse than the 4th pick. But if you're guaranteed to have no worse than the 7th pick, it lessens the incentive to tank.

And there needs to be some level of fine (like $1,000,000 to the organization) to stop what Brooklyn did in the last game of the season.
    #DBAP

17. The Following User Says Thank You to shags For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    With the playoff system you remove the benefit of being the worst team. Teams would want to be competitive enough to get a high pick. So the level of play across the NBA should rise.
    Yes, you do. You eliminate tanking from the bottom teams. But you replace tanking with teams in the middle. Teams that fight for the last playoff spot in the west would just tank to make the draft playoff. The reward would be for the best teams in the draft pool, not the worst teams. Teams like the Pacers last season would not make a late surge to make the playoffs, just to get swept by Cleveland, instead they would tank to be the better team in the draft playoff. There is still going to be tanking, but it will be good teams that haven't had a good year for some reason tanking to make the draft playoff instead of fighting for the 5th seed.

As long as there is a beg payoff for the first couple of lottery picks, you will have teams tanking to get into the spot that increases their chances of getting that pick. I suppose you could make it possible for every team to have the same chance of the first pick, but that is no going to help the bad teams, only the good ones.

Rik Smits house is for sale apparently he's moving to Arizona

Sports Logo

PAUL GEORGE RAN OFF RIK SMITS

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Undefeated

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    PAUL GEORGE RAN OFF RIK SMITS

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    That dick! I've always liked Rik and don't want to see him leave.
    Danger Zone

I don't care what changes (there are lots of interesting ideas). I just want to see something change with the way the lottery works and how it affects tanking, etc. Would love to see the league actually get creative here.

The thing that is really cool about the playoff idea, despite its obvious flaws, is that would bring a whole new level of excitement to the end of the season for half of the league.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Dude, when you were in town you and I stood and talked for about a half an hour inside the fieldhouse. But since you don't remember here is a quick drawing
    Ignoring that this was a lifetime ago when the Pacers were a different Team ( you know, one that was actually good ) and that I barely remember what I did last week.....I'm getting older and have never been good at remembering little details .
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/07/16/...nts-to-return/

Report: Heat have been given “zero indication” LeBron James wants to return

The season of LeBron James speculation is upon us.

As you know unless you’ve spent the last year living in antarctica studying penguins, LeBron is a free agent next summer. Speculation that he could leave Cleveland again has simmered quietly for years, but the temperature has been turned up in recent months. Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert turned up the knob himself pushing GM David Griffin out the door without a Plan B in place.

Then to add to it, LeBron posted to Instagram this weekend photos of himself on a boat in and around Biscayne Bay, including this photo of the arena where he won his first rings.

This raised the hopes of some Heat fans of a reconciliation. Could LeBron return to Miami? The Heat know nothing about it, reports Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald.

LeBron James’ Instagram posts Saturday might raise hopes among some Heat fans of a James return, but the Heat does not believe James has serious interest in returning, with the thought that he will stay in Cleveland or go to the Lakers….

Again, the Heat has been given zero indication that James – a free agent next summer – would have interest in coming back and isn’t expecting that.

The buzz around the league is that LeBron may well move on from Cleveland, but he’s going to leave all his options open. LeBron wants to have choices, and he’s put himself in a position to have them. The Lakers have been rumored, staying in Cleveland is a real possibility, but LeBron is going to play out his season then look at all his options and decide. Miami could be one of those options.

But an unlikely one. Miami could clear the cap space to get him — they would have to dump the salaries of guys like Tyler Johnson and Dion Waiters — but with Goran Dragic as a free agent, would this Heat team be poised to make a leap? Not likely, and not in an East where Boston is getting stronger and there could be other teams on the rise such as Milwaukee. Miami should be a playoff team next season, but not one where the addition of LeBron makes them a threat to the Celtics, or ultimately the Warriors.

This season is going to be like the season before LeBron left Cleveland previously, every little action is going to be scrutinized and read for clues. Post a photo and say you have great memories and fans will leap to conclusions, even if that was not his intention.

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/07/16/...d-rudy-gobert/

Don’t think tanking, Utah Jazz plan to retool around Rudy Gobert

Among the big losers in summer free agency are the Utah Jazz. Which sucks to write because the organization did everything right, from building a team that was becoming a real threat to making its biggest star feel welcome and wanted. This was a team that was fun to watch play last season.

Then Gordon Hayward went to Boston anyway.

Don’t expect the Jazz to feel sorry for themselves, they plan to retool fast around Rudy Gobert, something GM Dennis Lindsey made clear reports Tony Jones of the Salt Lake Tribune.

“We feel like we can build defensively around Rudy Gobert,” Lindsey told The Tribune. “We look at him, and he’s a top 10 player and unique defender. So we wanted to build a team around his talents.”…

But Lindsey met with his staff and delivered a strong message (after Hayward left): The Jazz weren’t going to feel sorry for themselves. They weren’t going take a step back. The organization describes the last two weeks as a pivot more than a restructure.

“We just felt like we had too much talent to tear it down to the foundation,” Lindsey said. “The main thing with Quin and Rudy is what do we stand for? We feel like we have a great player in Rudy, and we want to showcase his ability.”

The Jazz added Ricky Rubio, Thabo Sefolosha and Jonas Jerebko this summer, and rookie Donovan Mitchell has been a standout at Summer League who looks like he can add steals to a team that should still be one of the better defensive teams in the league. That will not replace Hayward, but it’s not the sign of a team that’s tearing things down. Nor should they.

The question will be where the points come from, Hayward scored 22 a game but more than that he was the shot creator for others (along with George Hill) and the Jazz don’t have a ready replacement. Guys such as Rodney Hood need to step up.

The Jazz are one of the best run organizations in the NBA, if anyone can bounce back, it’s them.

Just make it so that teams can't pick in the top 8 in successive seasons. You can tank once, but the best pick you get for being a bottom-8 team the following season is #9.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to 3rdStrike For This Useful Post:

The biggest problem the NBA faces are the owners. Players have to go through so much to be allowed to make a roster. Coaches have to go through multiple interviews to coach a team. Yet anyone with deep pockets can own an NBA team, or put together a group to purchase one. How about giving owners a basketball test? To make sure they actually know something about basketball other than the obvious.... "it's played with a ball and a basket?" We need more owners who are rabid NBA fans or ex players instead of these old timers who just want to add an NBA team to their brand so they can be the envy of the room at parties.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Random idea: Let each franchise vote (and they can't vote for themselves) for what they believe the draft order should be 1-29th, tally up everyone's rankings, and whatever the voted-for order is, it also applies to the 2nd round that year. Tie breakers could be decided by coin toss or by Adam Silver.

This should produce similar results to the current system, but if everyone really hates that Team X is purposefully losing year after year, they can choose to rank them lower down the list of the draft order for that year, if it comes to that.

Secondary thought: Maybe once the order has been determine for that year's draft, teams could have a window of time (maybe a month?) to trade picks heading into draft night.

Just a thought.

http://thebiglead.com/2017/07/16/mee...n-the-country/

Meet The Anti-LaVar Ball, Michelle Mundey, Mom To The No. 1 9-Year-Old In The Country

There is an excellent feature in The Washington Post this week concerning Neiko Primus, a 9-year-old basketball player who is receiving all the hype a 9-year-old basketball player might ever hope to receive. There are many good bits in this story, including one about a man named Jerry Love, who, “declares himself the authority for pre-high school basketball.”

There is the usual assessment of the kid’s skill and the nature of amateur basketball hype, but we of the Big Baller Era will note the contrast between Famous Sports Dad Lavar Ball and Primus’ mother, Michelle Mundey.

“I don’t ever want to be like LaVar Ball,” Mundey said in June, two weeks before Lonzo, the oldest son of the outspoken LaVar, was selected second by the Los Angeles Lakers in the NBA draft. “I don’t profit off my son, so no one else is going to profit off my son. Once you let people pay for something or give you something for free, then they are going to expect something in the future. My son isn’t going to owe anyone anything.”

Like Ball, Mundey was a collegiate athlete (she ran track at Florida). Unlike Ball, she’s in the habit of saying no to promotional offers.

Mundey was recently contacted by an agent offering to be Neiko’s mentor. He dangled his connection with Under Armour and stressed that he wasn’t asking for anything in return. She declined and has told multiple middle schools and high schools that she isn’t ready to talk about scholarships.

AAU teams have offered to fly Neiko to tournaments and told Mundey she wouldn’t have to pay for travel or tournament fees. Again, she said no.

Mundey did not want to use the names of those who have contacted her about Neiko, worried that they could hold it against her son in the future. The Washington Post was shown texts and emails to confirm the interactions she described.

Raising a basketball prodigy in America has to be one of the trickiest jobs there is. Most parents in that situation don’t have to deal with it until their kid is in his teens, and so much of it is out of the parents’ control. American culture is littered with cautionary tales about fame mixing with childhood. By the sounds of things, Mundey is doing everything she can to protect her son.

So far as anybody can tell, LaVar Ball has raised some good, well adjusted kids, too (though none of them faced hype on this level). Let’s not make a straw man out of him. But Ball’s got his way, and Mundey has hers.

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!
    Mood

Want to stop tanking? Stop superstars from forming an incredibly top heavy league where the only glimmer of hope for most teams is through the draft. However, that situation will naturally improve when the salary cap's insane inflation wears off and things start to normalize once again. Massive paycuts should be strictly prohibited for star players as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    The biggest problem the NBA faces are the owners. Players have to go through so much to be allowed to make a roster. Coaches have to go through multiple interviews to coach a team. Yet anyone with deep pockets can own an NBA team, or put together a group to purchase one. How about giving owners a basketball test? To make sure they actually know something about basketball other than the obvious.... "it's played with a ball and a basket?" We need more owners who are rabid NBA fans or ex players instead of these old timers who just want to add an NBA team to their brand so they can be the envy of the room at parties.
    That's true in any sport though. It's very difficult, if not impossible, to have sustained success with a terrible owner.
    #DBAP

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shags For This Useful Post: