Page 119 of 121 FirstFirst ... 1969109115116117118119120121 LastLast
Results 2,951 to 2,975 of 3019

Thread: NBA 2017 Offseason Thread

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Default Re: NBA 2017 Offseason Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Does that mean you've forgiven KP for stretching Monta?
    Heh. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the payoff for stretching Monta's contract was the CoJo trade. I don't think it would have been possible (along with the DC and Bojan signings of course) without the stretch.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    Heh. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the payoff for stretching Monta's contract was the CoJo trade. I don't think it would have been possible (along with the DC and Bojan signings of course) without the stretch.
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Depending on how I look at it....it means that I can still be upset at KP for stretching Monta?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    By no means would I want Anderson........I'm looking at other assets that we can acquire that won't hurt us in the long term.

Looking on Spotrac ( seriously, the best Salary Cap site out there ), there are only 3 Teams in the NBA today that have practical and available Cap Space that can be used to help facilitate a Trade. The Sixers have about $12.5 mil, Suns have $6.3 mil and the Pacers have $6.1 mil ( TX KP! ) in available Cap Space. Any Team after that only has at most about $2.77 mil in Cap space to use.

It would not surprise me if one of these 3 Teams are involved in the Melo Trade....just to make the #s and salaries work.

At this point, the name of the game for the Pacers over the next 2 season is to acquire assets while taking on Contracts that won't hurt us beyond this season or next.

I'd want the Knicks 2019 1st and or Willie Hernangomez. Rockets have nothing we'd want. They're out of picks until 2019 or later and Sam Dekker has already been moved to the Clippers. Unless anyone here wants Harzell or Ariza's expiring contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    Unless anyone here wants Harzell or Ariza's expiring contract.
    Nope. Youth, picks, potential. Nothing less. Think long term - or a few years at least.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    Nope. Youth, picks, potential. Nothing less. Think long term - or a few years at least.
    Ariza is an expiring contract, he won't hurt the salary cap beyond this year. He can also be flipped in Feb 2018....some Team will want him....or we can even use him as a 3D SF for 1 seasons. I would consider taking him on with some additional assets.

I suspect that Ariza would be included in some trade involving Melo. He's an $7 mil expiring and the Rockets have PJ Tucker signed for the long term while having Harden, EJ and Melo to the Wing positions.

I'd consider something around Ariza+Long Term Asset ( future 1st or Young Player ) for Cap Space + Buckets.
    Last edited by CableKC; 08-11-2017 at 06:25 PM.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    I'd want the Knicks 2019 1st and or Willie Hernangomez. Rockets have nothing we'd want. They're out of picks until 2019 or later and Sam Dekker has already been moved to the Clippers. Unless anyone here wants Harzell or Ariza's expiring contract.
    Minor point...but Harzell was traded to the Clips.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ariza would be a nice addition, short term. He'd probably be fighting for the starting 3 position.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jrwannabe For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by jrwannabe View Post
    Ariza would be a nice addition, short term. He'd probably be fighting for the starting 3 position.
    I think he'd win the Starting SF spot. He's a very solid 3D Wing. I'd take him in a heartbeat.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/08/11/...-sneakerheads/

LeBron James developing HBO comedy about sneakerheads

You can bet the LeBron 14s are going to make an appearance in this.

LeBron James‘ SpringHill Entertainment company (which is run by him and business partner Maverick Carter) already has produced “Survivor’s Remorse” for Starz’s and “The Wall,” the latter of which I have not seen but because it’s shown here on NBC it is unquestionably awesome, of the highest quality, and should win multiple Emmys.

Now LeBron and team are producing a comedy for HBO about two guys running a sneaker store. From Deadline (hat tip Ball Don’t Lie):

Written by Shawn Wines (High Maintenance) and Lemon Andersen (She’s Gotta Have It), the untitled Sneaker Store Project centers on two best friends and their wild employees at an up-and-coming sneaker shop outside L.A., where they take on the insane and obsessive world of sneaker culture. Wines also executive produces with James and Carter. Andersen is co-executive producer.

LeBron and Carter owned a sneaker shop like this in Miami when he played there. Obviously, LeBron knows the sneaker world and has a lifetime deal with Nike reportedly worth $1 billion.

That’s a good writing team, so there is promise, and while HBO has had its misses it tends to invest in quality work. There is no timeline yet.

Insert your own rumor here about how LeBron wants to be close to this production and will need to move to Los Angeles — you know, his home — to do that.

I don't doubt Jordan regrets playing for the Wizards I doubt he would talk to Ray Lewis about this though.

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/08/11/...g-for-wizards/

Ray Lewis: Michael Jordan told me he regrets playing for Wizards

In a discussion of whether Aaron Rodgers should ever leave the Green Bay Packers, former Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis brought up Michal Jordan.

Lewis on Fox Sports 1:

This is the honest ******* truth. M.J. – I’ll never forget this – said to me, “The only thing I regret is putting on another uniform.”

Lewis seems to be implying Jordan regretted playing for the Wizards, because it tarnished his legacy as exclusively a Bull. And maybe, while Jordan was still in Washington and shortly thereafter, that was true. But, by now, he’s overwhelmingly remembered for his time in Chicago.

Jordan probably wanted to spend his entire career with the Bulls, but they had moved on. If he hadn’t come out of retirement with another team in order to preserve his status of having played for only Chicago, I think he’d regret not scratching that itch.

Besides, we don’t even know what Jordan meant. Maybe he regretted playing for the Wizards because they went 37-45 and 37-45 in his two seasons in Washington.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Minor point...but Harzell was traded to the Clips.
    Really? Damn so LA got Harzell and Dekker plus a pick. Pretty good deal.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

I think he'd win the Starting SF spot. He's a very solid 3D Wing. I'd take him in a heartbeat.
    With what this team looks like now? Personally I wouldn't touch him. Not because he's awfull, because he's not, but because he IMHO doesn't fit with the direction I want us to head in.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning View Post
    With what this team looks like now? Personally I wouldn't touch him. Not because he's awfull, because he's not, but because he IMHO doesn't fit with the direction I want us to head in.
    Basically, I agree. Ariza wouldn't really make any difference one way or the other record wise. If the Pacers needed another vet to help mentor the youngsters, then great. But Ariza is just going to take up playing time from one of the young guys.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xIndyFan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Meh, if you can get him for nothin why not. Flip him at the deadline for anything and it's a win

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

I vaguely remember his stint as a Spur

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/08/12/...h-he-hated-me/

Dennis Rodman: “Popovich, he hated me”

In between stints winning titles with the Detroit Pistons and Chicago Bulls, Dennis Rodman was a San Antonio Spur. This was the pre-Tim Duncan Spurs, led by David Robinson, and is back when Gregg Popovich was a front office executive, not the coach.

It was also the time Rodman started to let his wild side show. It’s when he started dying his hair different colors throughout the season, the tattoos and piercings started to come out, and Rodman began to “be himself.” That led to clashes with Popovich, who was the GM Rodman’s second season with the Spurs.

Rodman does not have fond memories of Popovich, something he told Joe Buck on Buck’s interview show “Undeniable” (hat tip San Antonio Express News).

“The city kind of embraced me, but what’s his name, Popovich, he hated me,” Rodman said. “He hated my guts because I wasn’t a bible guy. They looked at me like I was the devil.”…

While on the show, Rodman complained that he felt like a victim during his latter stages in San Antonio. He remained on the team until he was traded to the Chicago Bulls for Will Perdue after the 1995 playoffs.

“I said my god,” Rodman said. “Am I the same guy that helped get David Robinson a scoring title and MVP? Am I the same guy that averaged 19.3 rebounds per game for you. And I the same guy we won 68 damn games? Am I that same guy, but you guys don’t like me?” Rodman said. “So I said, ‘OK, trade me,'” he said. “They traded me to the damn Bulls.”

For the record, it was 62 wins that season and Rodman averaged 16.8 rebounds a game his second season with the Spurs, he’d averaged 17.3 the season before, both times winning the NBA rebounding title.

Popovich has shown since he will tolerate a lot of different personalities, he can work with different religions and beliefs, so long as the player is committed to basketball. Rodman was coming out of his shell and discovering things off the court, and it was the sense of commitment — while Popovich was working to build the Spurs’ culture — that was the issue. Rodman clashed with Popovich — Rodman was suspended the first three games by the team, then took a leave of absence, and when he returned was suspended again. Later that season he missed some time due to a shoulder separation suffered in a motorcycle accident.

At that point, the Spurs didn’t have the kind of locker room leaders needed to keep Rodman in line. But the Bulls did. So that trade worked out for Chicago to the tune of three more titles.

The Spurs… they turned out okay, too.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/08/14/...ut-of-his-bag/

The time Michael Jordan stole Davis Love III’s driver out of his bag

Michael Jordan golf stories are the best. Like the time he gave Bill Clinton crap. Or the time he lost $1.25 million in bets on the course. Or the times he would play 36 golf holes of golf a day during the Barcelona Olympics. Or the time he woke up Chuck Daly early by pounding on his hotel room door to get a rematch.

Or this latest story, the time Jordan stole the driver out of Davis Love III’s bag and broke it, back when Love and Jordan were in college. From Hellen Ross at PGAtour.com (hat tip NESN).

“We were playing probably 27 holes or whatever and the wedding was at 6. The only thing he wanted to do that day was outdrive Davis….

“(Michael) said, hey, it may be his clubs (that let him hit it so far),” Peterson recalls. “We’ve got these old clubs because they were giving us scrap clubs they got and don’t use, and they’re like X500 shafts, like swinging a tree. That was the worst thing for us.

“So he goes in there and grabs Davis’ driver, hits it on the hosel there halfway up, and the next thing I know, I see the ball barely going anywhere, but I see this club head just floating in the air to the lefthand side.”

Davis had to get a new driver — the one he ended up using on the PGA Tour for years.

Love kept the busted club, and recently submitted it to the World Golf Hall of Fame.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/08/14/...t-a-superstar/

Penny Hardaway: “Kawhi Leonard is not a superstar”

At his peak, Penny Hardaway’s off-the-court presence may have been bigger than his game — and his game was big. Three-time All-NBA player, four-time All-Star, part of a one-two punch with a young Shaquille O’Neal that had the Magic as title contenders.

Still, talk about Hardaway and you end up talking about the ‘Lil Penny commercials and the shoes — Hardaway was a break-out NBA star known by non-hoops fans because of his off-the-court persona.

It is from that perspective Hardaway comes. He was on the Sirius XM’s NBA Radio show “Bottomline” and was asked about Kawhi Leonard (hat tip Eye on Basketball).

“Superstar? No. Kawhi Leonard is not a superstar because he has no interest in being the face of the league or starring in TV commercials. He’s a good player, but I wouldn’t consider him a superstar player.”

The first reaction of hoops fans will be “are you kidding me?” Leonard is an MVP candidate, franchise cornerstone, best two-way player in the NBA according to Michael Jordan, champion and finals MVP.

However, Hardaway is right in the sense that Leonard limits how big his personal brand can be because he doesn’t promote it. Heck, not sure he even cares that much about it. If you define superstar by off-the-court persona, then maybe Leonard isn’t your guy. Leonard is not Stephen Curry showing up in ads all the time, he’s not LeBron James and his media projects, he’s no Jeremy Lin on social media.

Nor does Leonard want to be — and he doesn’t have to be. Leonard does have some sweet Jordan brand commercials, but not ones where he speaks. He does talk a little in those Spurs HEB ads, but that’s about it. He doesn’t want to be front-and-center that way. That’s just who he is. He’s a quiet leader, sort of like Tim Duncan before him in San Antonio (which is perfect for Gregg Popovich).

Personally, I’d still say he’s a superstar. However, he’s never going to have the Q Rating of Shaq or Curry or LeBron. So if that’s how you choose to define superstar…

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's taken 20 years for a new generation of fans to accumulate that don't remember what an ******* you were, Penny. Stop.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

https://www.sporttechie.com/warriors...ech-investing/

Golden State Warriors’ Andre Iguodala On Wearables, Tech Investing, Golf

Golden State Warriors swingman Andre Iguodala has been using wearables and apps, such as Game Golf and Zepp Golf, to improve his swing. The 2015 NBA Finals MVP and golf fanatic says devices like these that track athlete performance represent the future of the sports industry.

Iguodala is no stranger to player-tracking technology. The Warriors have been using wearables with sensors made by an Australian company called Catapult Sports to manage athletes and keep tabs on their training ebbs and flows since 2015.

But Iguodala says the current state of wearables in the sports world merely scratches the surface of what’s to come. An avid technology investor whose portfolio includes the trading platform TruMid, lifestyle company Thrive Global, mattress startup Casper, beauty products maker Walker & Company, fashion platform Hingeto and The Players Tribune, Iguodala says he’s watching the wearables market closely for technologies with potential to scale.

“A lot of pros are using them but we’re still in infant stages as far as being able to go into the consumer world where we can scale,” Iguodala said in an interview with SportTechie. “We need to get the amateurs to utilize it so they can perform better.”

Get The Latest Sports Tech News In Your Inbox!

The 33-year-old and 13-year NBA veteran has already started to set his sights on his post-NBA career. His location in Silicon Valley has given Iguodala access to venture capitalists and technologists, which has helped transform him over the past few years into one of the most tech-savvy pro-athlete investors. In his retirement, he’ll be able to add to the strategic business partnerships he’s already started to develop there, while continuing to cultivate his love of golf.

“I’m a big golf fan. I play, some would say too much, I would say not enough,” he said.

On Friday, Iguodala was set to takeover the Instagram account and do Facebook Live standups for the PGA Championship, bringing the wit behind his unique social media persona to the tournament in an effort to attract Iguodala fans who might not be among the typical consumers of golf.

Soon, his interests will be further meshed in a show set to kickoff on the digital network Cheddar, another one of his investments, called ‘Evenings with Andre,’ which will dissect business, tech, sports and entertainment topics through a series of celebrity interviews.

In the meantime, Iguodala is looking to use the relationships he’s forged in the tech capital to get other pro athletes interested in tech investing. At an inaugural three-day conference called The Players Technology Summit next week, Iguodala and co-host Stephen Curry will give athletes a crash course in startups and investing, while connecting them to influential VCs.

“We want to put athletes in front of some of these tech guys,” Iguodala said.

The summit comes as more athletes look for ways to spend their money and leverage their globally-recognized individual brands. They’ve already had to turn people away, says Iguodala, because of demand. But the hope is to grow the summit over the next few years.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning View Post
    He's a Rental at most and a likely trade candidate at the deadline. Teams ALWAYS want a 3D wing going into the Playoffs.

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/08/15/...ng-ms-pac-man/

How does Celtics’ coach Brad Stevens unwind? Playing Ms. Pac-Man

Brad Stevens has an incredibly calm, unflappable demeanor on the sidelines. He doesn’t yell or get demonstrative. Basically, he’s the Bizarro Bobby Knight.

However, no person that competitive can remain that calm all the time. So what does Stevens do to help unwind, to help free his mind and relax? What is his personal meditation?

Ms. Pac-Man. Seriously. That’s what he told the Indy Star.

Stevens revealed that “Ms. Pac-Man,” of all things, is a staple of his game-day rituals. He said his wife, who was in attendance along with his parents and children, bought him an old “pizza parlor machine” a few years ago, and he has been hooked ever since.

“I play ‘Ms. Pac-Man’ for 10 to 15 games as a break between video,” Stevens said. “And then I go on my jog, and go about my daily routine, but I make sure to get my ‘Ms. Pac-Man’ game in at home every single day. 10-15 minutes (of video games) isn’t that bad, tell your parents you’re good.”

I’m more impressed with Mrs. Stevens right now because there is no way my wife is buying me a video game for the house.

If it helps Stevens relax, if it helps him clear his mind to avoid Blinky, Pinky, Inky, and Clyde, then go for it — his game-day ritual is clearly working. Even if Centipede was a clearly superior game.

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Admittedly, ms. pac-man is easily the superior version.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Georges Niang is already chasing that ring:

Adrian WojnarowskiVerified account @wojespn 1h1 hour ago

Sources: Free agent Georges Niang signed partial guarantee with Golden State. He'll likely play for Santa Cruz, GSW's G-League affiliate.

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

He could have been remembered as a pacer. No doubt that ring will feel empty.

38. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post: