Page 118 of 121 FirstFirst ... 1868108114115116117118119120121 LastLast
Results 2,926 to 2,950 of 3019

Thread: NBA 2017 Offseason Thread

  1. #2926
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brown County, Indiana
    Posts
    5,689

    Default Re: NBA 2017 Offseason Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wouldn't mind him over Nate
    Why? What about him stood out to you?

    I'm not saying you are wrong. Just curious what you saw in him.

  2. #2927

    Default Re: NBA 2017 Offseason Thread

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “It is what we learn after we know it all that really counts” - John Wooden

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dlewyus For This Useful Post:


  4. #2928
    Death or Glory Strummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,518
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA 2017 Offseason Thread

    The Lakers seem to be stocking their GLeague team. They've signed several players in the past week to partially guaranteed contracts. Vander Blue, Briante Webber, Stephen Zimmerman and VJ Beachem.

    I'm a little surprised the Pacers aren't doing this. Pritchard talked about having competition for the last roster spot but so far he hasn't done anything to create it. Maybe he's decided the cap space is more valuable.

  5. #2929
    Member tnasty4l's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    alabama
    Posts
    193
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA 2017 Offseason Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Lakers seem to be stocking their GLeague team. They've signed several players in the past week to partially guaranteed contracts. Vander Blue, Briante Webber, Stephen Zimmerman and VJ Beachem.

    I'm a little surprised the Pacers aren't doing this. Pritchard talked about having competition for the last roster spot but so far he hasn't done anything to create it. Maybe he's decided the cap space is more valuable.
    They should've at least got beachem. I think he could be a decent player.

  6. #2930

    Default Re: NBA 2017 Offseason Thread



  7. #2931

    Default Re: NBA 2017 Offseason Thread

    http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/08/09/...-headed-south/

    NBA confirms two Mexico City games; Nets, Heat, Thunder headed south


    The annual NBA regular season games played in London are disruptive — those teams play one game in a week with a lot of rest on either side to deal with travel and jet lag.

    The annual games in Mexico City present no such problem — a flight from New York to Mexico City is shorter than one to Los Angeles.

    The NBA announced it is returning to Mexico City for two games in December – the Brooklyn Nets will face the Oklahoma City Thunder on Dec. 7, and then will face the Miami Heat, Dec. 9. Both games will be played at the Arena Ciudad de Mexico.



    The NBA is sending some stars to Mexico this season: Russell Westbrook, Paul George, Hassan Whiteside, Jeremy Lin and D'Angelo Russell. There are currently no players born in Mexico on an NBA roster.

    The NBA views itself as a global league that reaches out to Europe, China, and other basketball hotbeds around the globe. However, it also recognizes the power of growing the sport’s popularity both in Mexico and with immigrants — especially second and third generations — in this country. This is a step along those lines.

  8. #2932

    Default Re: NBA 2017 Offseason Thread

    http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/08/09/...-coach-in-nba/

    David Blatt said his end game is to return as head coach in NBA


    David Blatt’s team was 30-11 and coming off a trip to the NBA Finals when he was fired mid-season in Cleveland. It was ultimately this simple: LeBron James and other key players did not like Blatt much, and if the Cavaliers were going to win a title, they needed everybody to be all-in. Blatt was shown the door, Tyronn Lue got the job, and the Cavaliers brought the first major sports title to Cleveland in five decades.

    Blatt is back coaching in Israel, but told the Jerusalem Post his ultimate goal is to return to the NBA (hat tip Eye on Basketball).

    “I have an end game and that end game is that I would really like to go back to the NBA,” Blatt told The Jerusalem Post on Tuesday.

    “There were no changes in the NBA this year from a coaching standpoint and my real goal is to try next year to get back into the league as a head coach. It may happen and it may not happen. But I wanted to leave that door open for myself if the opportunity arises.”

    Blatt’s name came up in the last coaching hires in New York and Sacramento, but after missing out he signed to coach Turkish team Darussafaka (where he remains, having turned down a lucrative three-year offer from Maccabi Tel Aviv so he could keep his NBA options open.

    On paper, Blatt deserves another chance: The guy knows the game and his teams in Cleveland won 67.5 percent of their games.

    The question is, did he learn how to better relate to NBA players — who have the power — than he did before. Blatt came in expecting deference and credit for all his titles and success in Europe, but NBA players shrugged at that. Blatt needed to be the smartest guy in the room, always, and with that made some odd lineup and play-calling choices. That said, a lot of what he wanted the Cavaliers to do — play faster, share the ball more freely with less isolation — were things Tyronn Lue wanted and got them to do. The question was never did Blatt know what the Cavs needed to do, it was could he get them to do it?

    Anywhere he goes in the NBA, the dynamic will be similar (not quite LeBron like in power, but elite players are what franchises are built around) and Blatt has to adjust to it. If he can get buy in from players, he can win, but if he can’t he will be gone again quickly, back to Europe where coaches have the dictatorial power of an American college coach.

  9. #2933

    Default Re: NBA 2017 Offseason Thread



  10. #2934
    Member vnzla81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    36
    Posts
    35,054

    Default Re: NBA 2017 Offseason Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why? What about him stood out to you?

    I'm not saying you are wrong. Just curious what you saw in him.
    I want anybody but Nate and I think Blatt could be a good coach if he gets the right opportunity.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

  11. #2935
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    South Side
    Posts
    5,508

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA 2017 Offseason Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    Because those two teams deserve it.
    #DBAP

  12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to shags For This Useful Post:


  13. #2936
    let's do better Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    23,760

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA 2017 Offseason Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Because those two teams deserve it.
    I know it's not how it works, but the good teams are the ones that deserve to NOT have to play on Christmas.

    speaking of scheduling;

    With an expanded calendar as part of its new collective bargaining agreement, the NBA has taken the most aggressive measures to date to build rest into its schedule.In a memo given to teams this week, the league outlined how it hopes to reduce the stresses of travel and give players a chance to recover more than in the past. This is a proactive measure aimed at both player safety and to reduce the number of games in which teams rest healthy players.

    After a series of high-profile players didn't play in major matchups last season, the new schedule protects key national television matchups to make sure teams aren't playing on back-to-back nights.

    Much of this is made possible by extending the season by one week, staring earlier in October. Also, for the first time, the players' union is a part of the scheduling process to review possible problem areas.


    Some of the new improvements include:


    • Eliminating stretches of four games in five days and 18 games in 30 days.


    • Reduction of five games in seven nights to just 40 instances across (1.3 per team), down from last year when it was on the schedule 90 times (three per team).


    • Reduction in number of back-to-backs to 14.9 per team, down from 16.3 per team. In all, 40 back-to-backs have been eliminated from last season.


    • Reduction of single-game road trips by 17 percent.


    • Reduction in single-game road trips over 2,000 miles by 67 percent; there are only 11 of them on schedule.


    • Increase in weekend games from 549 to 568, much of the boost coming on Saturdays. Previously the NBA avoided Saturdays and Sunday afternoons during football season to dodge conflicts.


    Teams that have seen versions of their schedules can petition the league for changes. However, the overall themes will stay intact.


    The schedule is expected to be finalized this week and portions are expected to be announced soon.
    Brian Windhorst
    http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...-rest-schedule
    Last edited by Heisenberg; 08-09-2017 at 11:23 PM.

  14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:


  15. #2937
    The Dude Abides pizza guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Indy
    Age
    29
    Posts
    4,665
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA 2017 Offseason Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know it's not how it works, but the good teams are the ones that deserve to NOT have to play on Christmas.

    speaking of scheduling;



    Brian Windhorst
    http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...-rest-schedule
    This is great for the league. Level of play and consistency should improve, and if it helps alleviate the need for resting starters, it raises the overall quality of the product. Kudos to the NBA for making these changes.
    It's a new day for Pacers Basketball.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:


  17. #2938
    Member sportfireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Louisiana
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,461
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA 2017 Offseason Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I want anybody but Nate and I think Blatt could be a good coach if he gets the right opportunity.
    What's the right opportunity?
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

    Romans 3:23 for all have sinned and fall short of the esteem of Elohim,
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be kind towards one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as Elohim also forgave you in Messiah.

  18. #2939
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    10,367
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA 2017 Offseason Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    anybody but Nate
    Come on that is not true. I think Nate is an average coach, but he is better than just "anybody but Nate" approach. And yes I would welcome a change if a change is needed. A coach will not solve our problems, but the next coach coming could be our coach longer than JOB. So I don't want "anybody but Nate".

  19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:


  20. #2940
    Member vnzla81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    36
    Posts
    35,054

    Default Re: NBA 2017 Offseason Thread

    I'm ready



    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

  21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vnzla81 For This Useful Post:


  22. #2941
    Member Grimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    10,734

    Default Re: NBA 2017 Offseason Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm ready





    Houston will probably see a jump in televised games now that they've added CP3 and possibly Melo. They get a lot of televised games anyways but I mean they'll probably see at least 5 more now.

  23. #2942
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    South Side
    Posts
    5,508

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA 2017 Offseason Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is great for the league. Level of play and consistency should improve, and if it helps alleviate the need for resting starters, it raises the overall quality of the product. Kudos to the NBA for making these changes.
    I can't remember who said it (for some reason I'm thinking Klay Thompson), but I remember hearing one player saying that fans don't really know how good NBA players are because of the travel and how tired these players are.

    I think we're going to see a spike in quality of play, and probably scoring, this season with the added days of rest. Which is a good thing.
    #DBAP

  24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shags For This Useful Post:


  25. #2943
    The Dude Abides pizza guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Indy
    Age
    29
    Posts
    4,665
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA 2017 Offseason Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Come on that is not true. I think Nate is an average coach, but he is better than just "anybody but Nate" approach. And yes I would welcome a change if a change is needed. A coach will not solve our problems, but the next coach coming could be our coach longer than JOB. So I don't want "anybody but Nate".
    The disastrous way things burned down this off-season thanks to Paul, it absolutely makes me take a step back and give Nate an honest second chance. I was so frustrated last season that we couldn't find any consistency or rhythm with the kind of talent I felt we had. I thought we under-achieved by 10-12 wins last year. But I also felt that PG was dogging it most of the year and seeing him want out the way he did, and the really awful job he did as a team "leader," and thinking about the multiple players-only meetings... I think Nate was really hamstrung by PG's wavering commitment and general idiocy. Coupled with Monta breaking down for good, AlJeff being a bust, and Thad being hampered by injury for so long, it's definitely enough to make me think Nate deserves another chance to prove himself.
    It's a new day for Pacers Basketball.

  26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:


  27. #2944
    Death or Glory Strummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,518
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA 2017 Offseason Thread

    J.A. Adande will be leaving ESPN after 10 years to focus on his job as the Director of Sports Journalism at Northwestern, according to Ryan Glasspiegel of USA Today.
    ...
    https://www.si.com/tech-media/2017/0...g-northwestern

  28. #2945
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    44
    Posts
    32,721

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA 2017 Offseason Thread

    With the Knicks/Rockets involved in trade talks over Melo......do we have anything of value that we can use to get anything of value on either the Rockets or the Knicks as a "trade facilitator"?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

  29. #2946
    Member jrwannabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    1,924

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA 2017 Offseason Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    With the Knicks/Rockets involved in trade talks over Melo......do we have anything of value that we can use to get anything of value on either the Rockets or the Knicks as a "trade facilitator"?
    Anderson is the hold up. Even if Monta was still on the roster, think I rather have Al and Monta over RA.

  30. #2947
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    44
    Posts
    32,721

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA 2017 Offseason Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jrwannabe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anderson is the hold up. Even if Monta was still on the roster, think I rather have Al and Monta over RA.
    By no means would I want Anderson........I'm looking at other assets that we can acquire that won't hurt us in the long term.

    Looking on Spotrac ( seriously, the best Salary Cap site out there ), there are only 3 Teams in the NBA today that have practical and available Cap Space that can be used to help facilitate a Trade. The Sixers have about $12.5 mil, Suns have $6.3 mil and the Pacers have $6.1 mil ( TX KP! ) in available Cap Space. Any Team after that only has at most about $2.77 mil in Cap space to use.

    It would not surprise me if one of these 3 Teams are involved in the Melo Trade....just to make the #s and salaries work.

    At this point, the name of the game for the Pacers over the next 2 season is to acquire assets while taking on Contracts that won't hurt us beyond this season or next.
    Last edited by CableKC; 08-11-2017 at 02:28 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

  31. #2948
    Death or Glory Strummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,518
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA 2017 Offseason Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    and the Pacers have $6.1 mil ( TX KP! ) in available Cap Space.
    Does that mean you've forgiven KP for stretching Monta?

  32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:


  33. #2949
    Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,987

    Default Re: NBA 2017 Offseason Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by sportfireman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What's the right opportunity?
    Possibly a no-star team like the current Pacers? Blatt was known for overachieving, especially with Maccabi. And when he initially signed with the Cavs, he thought he was taking over a rebuilding team.

  34. #2950
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    44
    Posts
    32,721

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA 2017 Offseason Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Does that mean you've forgiven KP for stretching Monta?
    Spoiler Spoiler:

    Damn...I guess that $6+ mil in Cap space came as a result of stretching Monta. So.....yes, I bedgrudingly forgive KP for stretching Monta.

    But I reserve the right to get mad at him if he doesn't that $6 mil in Cap Space to acquire an asset before the February 2018 Trade Deadline .
    Last edited by CableKC; 08-11-2017 at 03:56 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

  35. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •