Page 115 of 121 FirstFirst ... 1565105111112113114115116117118119 ... LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,875 of 3019

Thread: NBA 2017 Offseason Thread

Sports Logo

Default Re: NBA 2017 Offseason Thread

remember when Bill Simmons had a show on HBO? man it was terrible. Karate Kid 3 kinda terrible.

Looks like the Pacers might actually have a good reason to tank next season. Marvin Bagley is reclassifying with the NCAA to play college ball this coming season. He is supposed to be very good. Instantly the #1 pick over Porter and Doncic. Dang, I wish Draft Express was still in business.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xIndyFan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tom sucked though.
    Yeah, he sucked so bad that he averaged 15.3 points per game over a 12 year career.

After reviewing more posts, I assume that you refer to him sucking in Phoenix...sorry about that. Yeah, his last season and he averaged 5.8 points per game, so he did suck that year.
    Last edited by sav; 07-31-2017 at 10:34 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sav For This Useful Post:

Ainge was not in love with picks at that time

@WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vnzla81 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Haven't seen it but he broke his hand on an opponents face

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    Shades of Amar'e Stoudamaire boxing with a fire extinguisher box.

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    Mark and Stephen Jackson is a contender too...Marquis and Mel Daniels maybe, but Marquis was pretty wack when he was with the Pacers
    Marquis had been all used up in Dallas with the Mavs by the time he got to Indy. Same with Josh Howard by the time he got to the Wizards.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post

That is ridiculous.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to vnzla81 For This Useful Post:

Seraphin cut? Meh. Makes no difference one way or the other.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:

This has to be one of the biggest house cleanings I have ever seen the Pacers do. Anything comparable?
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Wizards @ OKC replay is on NBATV right now.

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    This has to be one of the biggest house cleanings I have ever seen the Pacers do. Anything comparable?
    The biggest in my lifetime I don't recall one close to this. Maybe in 2007?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I can't post this on my iPad nut pretty cool read. And props to the Pacers

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1...l-other-sports

19. The Following User Says Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:

Here's the article

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1...l-other-sports

Africa Outreach USA brings opportunity to Zimbabwe youth through basketball, other sports

As a boy in Zimbabwe, Gus Chikamba had very little. He made do.

"I remember we could not afford a soccer ball, so we used to make soccer balls out of plastic, out of trash," he said. "I think I first saw a basketball at the age of 14 when I went to boarding school."

Basketball was his ticket to opportunity. He played in high school and college in Zimbabwe and believes it kept him focused and too busy to get into trouble, unlike some of his friends.

"They did other things, and they fell through the cracks of life," he said.

Today, Chikamba, 47, lives in Indianapolis, a world away from where he grew up. Yet he has never forgotten how far he has come from kicking makeshift balls on dusty fields.

Even after coming to the U.S. in 2000 to earn his MBA and then launching a career -- he's now a retirement planner for Capital Group -- Chikamba kept thinking about ways to help a new generation of kids back home. That crystallized in 2008 when he and his wife, Madeline, returned for a visit.

Indiana Pacers head coach Jim O'Brien and the daughter of Hall of Fame coach Jack Ramsay.

From the moment she met Chikamba, O'Brien was impressed not only by the way he did business, but by his passion for basketball. Gus and Madeline had been trying to get their Zimbabwe sports plan rolling for more than two years, but it was stalled.

Portland Trail Blazers relished.

Children carry bricks for the new basketball court at Arnoldine Primary School. The local community always provides labor for Africa Outreach USA projects. Courtesy Africa Outreach USA
    Jack Ramsay died in 2014, before he had a chance to visit Zimbabwe and see in person kids using his fundamentals. But his son recalls spending an afternoon with his dad watching some DVDs that had been delivered to his home.

"It was dozens of African kids playing basketball, doing drills and really working, sweating buckets," Chris says. "A lot of the kids didn't have shoes. Boys and girls, ages 5 to 18 or 19, really working hard."

The courts were a mixture of dirt and asphalt. The baskets were rickety.

"After about 20 minutes of this, the camera panned over, and on the fence there was a sign and it said, 'Jack Ramsay Grassroots Basketball Initiative Zimbabwe, Africa Outreach USA.' I said, 'Dad, this is your thing?' And he goes, 'Yeah, I guess it is.'

"We were just so impressed by how hard these kids were working and how much they seemed to be enjoying it. ... Those kids inspired us."

Paving the way to success
    In northeast Zimbabwe, there is a dusty court at Clare Secondary School in the village of Nyazura. It's in the Makoni District of Manicaland Province. It is here that Nash Majoni -- a mathematics teacher at the school -- coaches boys and girls to play basketball the Ramsay way.

On this court, he coaches passing, defense and teamwork, but there are no shooting drills.

Until Africa Outreach USA got involved, basketball was played only on dirt at Arnoldine Primary School. Courtesy Africa Outreach USA
    "We practice on an open dirty surface that has no hoops," Majoni said.

But a concrete court is coming within a few months. It's part of the Pave-a-Dirt-Court piece of the Africa Outreach program. So far, 31 schools have concrete courts that also can be used for volleyball and tennis. The first constructed was at Clare Primary School, just a few miles from Clare Secondary.

Majoni, who coordinates the Africa Outreach USA program in Manicaland, met Chikamba in 2012.

"I told him I had a community that was passionate for sport but didn't have facilities," Majoni said. "I shared with him my story, then he said he could work with me."

Since that first court went in, other schools have gotten in line, eager to build their own. Africa Outreach USA donates $1,500 to each school, enough to cover the materials. But a key feature of the program is that local residents have to donate the work.

"What we try to avoid is sending the wrong message to the communities in Zimbabwe," Chikamba said. "We don't want them thinking that people are going to come from the United States, build a basketball court, provide sneakers and basketballs. We want them to invest sweat equity in the whole process."

Workers start out by digging around the perimeter for the new court at Arnoldine Primary School. Courtesy Africa Outreach USA
    So, community members must dig the foundation, donate bricks -- which are used for stabilization under the court -- and pour the concrete. Bags of cement are delivered as each stage of construction is verified. It's manual labor, aided with ox-drawn or donkey-drawn carts.

Chikamba is amazed, time and again, at the talent and energy of the builders. So is Majoni, who watches courts come together with the help of parents, aunts, uncles, grandparents and neighbors. Majoni says families see the positive impact of courts and sports programs in neighboring communities and want courts for their local schools.

Part of the reason is academics. In order to participate in the sports programs, students have to be on solid academic footing. Majoni says at Clare, test pass rates have jumped significantly since the sports programs were initiated. Also, he has seen older kids who have dropped out of school return because of their interest in playing basketball, soccer or volleyball.

"The parents are supportive," Majoni said. "They know their kids spend most of their time between books and sports. There's not that extra time that they will be playing around, fooling around, engaging in drugs, because it's either they are in class or after class they are in practice. They go home, they're tired and they just go to sleep."

Africa Outreach USA provides the materials for new courts, but members of the local community pour the concrete. Courtesy Africa Outreach USA
    Majoni can point to specific boys and girls who are getting more opportunities because of the basketball program he coaches at Clare and at nearby Kriste Mambo Secondary School for girls.

One, a boy whom Majoni began coaching in Grade 5, is getting scholarship offers from Zimbabwe schools. "The last time Gus came around, he brought him some sneakers," Majoni said. "For your information, he keeps them safe. He only uses them during the game."

A girl at Clare, who lost both her parents and lives with an aunt, has been selected to the under-17 national team, a long shot considering she comes from a school with a dirt practice court. "The girls are motivated," Majoni said. "Even if they don't have a court at school, they can be able to stand with other schools with confidence."

A recent graduate of Kriste Mambo plays for her university team.

The success stories, he says, are leading younger students to follow.

His students have little access to NBA or WNBA games, yet they are interested in them. They have favorite teams and players they idolize. Majoni and other coaches will download games for their athletes to watch.

"I have one kid who's always telling me, 'Coach, can you tell me what these guys require for us to join the WNBA?'" he said. "I've been telling them you have to work very hard, and I show them videos of those girls and they're like, 'Ah, I can try to be Maya Moore!'"

Adding education to the equation
    When Gus and Madeline Chikamba first launched their program in Zimbabwe they put on a basketball camp, partnered with a local coach and donated 100 new basketballs provided by the Pacers.

Later, it occurred to Gus that there was no way to verify the balls would ever get where they were needed. So the Chikambas decided they would work through schools, Gus said, for these three reasons: "We thought if we partner with schools as a way of verifying where all the donated materials go, that's one. Secondly, schools will deliver the maximum participation. Thirdly, the school concept ties into the education component we want to address."

With the concrete in place, lines are painted at center court. Courtesy Africa Outreach USA
    Another element is that it's a way to ensure that females can be involved, whether it's in participation or leadership. Soccer is the No. 1 sport in Zimbabwe, yet girls traditionally haven't had much opportunity to play it.

Chikamba says girls haven't received the same opportunities in sports or education in Zimbabwe because many fathers have believed their daughters would have no options but to marry young, so school and sports were superfluous. Yet Chikamba says his father made certain his four daughters received good educations, and each has been successful in their lives and communities.

"If we break that paradigm, if we break that cultural concept to where we begin to empower the girl child at a relatively young age, you will be amazed what she can do," Chikamba said. "In Africa we have a saying: 'When you educate a woman, you educate the entire village.'"

Majoni says he and other coaches regularly talk to their athletes about topics such as gender equity and HIV/AIDS awareness. When they go to tournaments, coaches carve out time for lectures and discussion.

"Before we start the tournament, we discuss issues about life," Majoni said. "We teach them life skills."

Barbara Soria, who works with Chikamba at Capital Group, has led fundraising efforts as a board member. She says as the program has gained momentum over the past three years, Americans who have donated are excited by the payoff.

More than 30 hard courts that can be used for basketball, volleyball and tennis have been installed thanks to Africa Outreach USA. Courtesy Africa Outreach USA

"For somebody to say, 'For $1,500 I can sponsor a basketball court,' and we literally send them a link where they can watch the development of the building of the court," she said. "It's tangible."

Others donate to pay for trophies or medals, sports equipment, clean-water projects or to sponsor a student-athlete's tuition at a rural school.

It's possible that someday Africa Outreach USA will produce athletes who go to the United States to play in college or the pros. If that happens, Chikamba believes the positive ripple effects in Zimbabwe would be significant.

The true focus, however, is to give kids opportunities for a better life.

"Being born and raised out of Africa," Chikamba said, "the concept is to empower those communities, including the academic institutions, to really raise these kids so they can contribute back to the community."

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by I Love P View Post
    Wizards @ OKC replay is on NBATV right now.
    OKC on again. Vs NOLA. Really enjoy watching Oladipo/Sabonis play. Oladipo is a playmaker

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I Love P For This Useful Post:

I liked the PG for Dipo / Sabs deal all along but after watching actual games & paying attention to them I love the deal. I haven't heard much about both of their abilities to play defense but they're good 1 on 1 defenders. Earlier Sabonis got switched onto John Wall & stuck with him the entire possession & made him miss a step back J with a hand in his face. He's playing well on with Anthony Davis on the block right now. Get these guys in the east & people are gonna start eating their words how we got screwed on the deal. Especially when PG bolts next summer. Oladipo just keeps making plays. I now believe this is the best deal we could've gotten. Nice work KP

25. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to I Love P For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    All I can think of is the "brawl" team. O'Neal, Artest, Jackson, Tinsley all sent away. But even that one occurred over a longer time span.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/08/01/...t-season-with/

Looks like every NBA team will start season with same coach it started last season with

Not one NBA coach was fired during last season — a rare feat, four had been axed mid-season the campaign before.

More surprisingly, not one coach has been let go this offseason.

Things could change — this has already been an unpredictable NBA offseason — but it appears that all 30 NBA teams will enter next season with the same coach they had at the start of the past season, something that hasn’t happened since 1970-71 (when there were 17 teams). Steve Aschburner of NBA.com talked with Mavericks’ coach Rick Carlisle about it.

For sheer Xs & Os, this is a fortuitous time to have some coaching continuity. Remember, the NBA is tightening up the preseason, cutting back from eight to six tune-up games and starting the regular season a week sooner. So having systems already in place, with shorter learning curves all around (except perhaps in Houston while blending Chris Paul with James Harden), should be a good thing….

“I don’t believe it’s a fluke,” Dallas Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle said. “In the last few years, I believe that ownership really has seen the value of great coaching. And put a higher value on it.

“Contracts have gotten stronger. Length of contracts has gotten better for coaches. There’s no doubt that in today’s NBA, ownership understands the importance of continuity and staying the course. They deserve a lot of credit for finding their way to this point.”

Maybe.

However, also when you look at the teams with the worst records last season you can see why teams should be patient. There were first-year coaches in situations where they were expected to focus on player development, not wins — Luke Walton with the Lakers, Kenny Atkinson in Brooklyn. There were guys where the problems were not of their own doing (the issues in Orlando weren’t Frank Vogel’s fault, same with Dave Joerger in Sacramento, same with Jeff Hornacek in New York, and when the Sixers were healthy Brett Brown’s team looked good). Minnesota didn’t win a lot last season but Tom Thibodeau’s team showed promise. Detroit may have been disappointed taking a step back, but removing Stan Van Gundy is to rework the entire front office and coaching staff. Alvin Gentry and Dell Demps were given one more shot in New Orleans (miss the playoffs this season and major changes are coming).

It didn’t make sense for teams to change coaches and directions in the last year (the last coaching change was Joerger pushing his way out of Memphis to Sacramento). Don’t bet on that being the case next season.

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

31. The Following User Says Thank You to vnzla81 For This Useful Post:

According to Hoops Hype, Danny Crawford is retiring. NBA officiating just got worse, Danny was very good. He will be missed.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xIndyFan For This Useful Post:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/08/01/...re-of-rockets/

Team legend Hakeem Olajuwon interested in buying share of Rockets

Dikembe Mutombo wants in.

Beyonce could be in.

Now add the best player in Houston Rockets history — Hakeem Olajuwon — wants in as a potential partner in the group that ultimately buys the Houston Rockets, reports Mark Woods for ESPN.

“I’m buying it,” Hall of Famer Hakeem Olajuwon joked Tuesday, before getting more serious about the matter.

“Many groups now have called me and want me involved,” Olajuwon, now a Rockets team ambassador, said. “With two of the groups, I’m doing my background check to see if that is a possibility. Just an association would be great.

“I’m still with the organization now. I have a contract with the Rockets, not to be in an ownership position. But if the opportunity opens itself, it will be something great.”

Longtime Rockets owner Leslie Alexander announced last month he wants to sell the team. A number of groups have been sniffing around the process so far, which is fairly early on. Forbes estimated the value of the Rockets at $1.65 billion, but considering the quality of the team on the court right now (and the money that generates) and the stability of the NBA with the new television deal, means this sale could break the record sum Steve Ballmer paid for the Clippers ($2 billion).

Olajuwon obviously could not buy the team on his own, but could have a role as the face of the ownership group, sort of like the role Grant Hill has in Atlanta. Olajuwon lives in the United Kingdom now with his family but still works for the Rockets.

37. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

ESPN's Schuye LaRue E:60 piece was ****ing gross and exploitative. all about helping her while she's in a good state and wants to talk on camera, soon as her schizophrenia started to manifest itself, Shelly Smith, after not seeing her for years and literally just walking up on her laying under a damn box like "Schuye! hey! rainbows and lollipops, it's me Shelly!," ran straight the **** off and just left her on the street.

then ran the piece. you left the woman on the damn street as soon as she showed a sign of the illness you pretended to care about.
    Last edited by Heisenberg; 08-03-2017 at 04:40 AM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    ESPN's Schuye LaRue E:60 piece was ****ing gross and exploitative. all about helping her while she's in a good state and wants to talk on camera, soon as her schizophrenia started to manifest itself, Shelly Smith, after not seeing her for years and literally just walking up on her laying under a damn box like "Schuye! hey! rainbows and lollipops, it's me Shelly!," ran straight the **** off and just left her on the street.

then ran the piece. you left the woman on the damn street as soon as she showed a sign of the illness you pretended to care about.
    Its a damned if you do damned if you don't thing though. What was she supposed to do, force Schuye into her vehicle against her will? When someone who can function most of the time refuses to get help, theres nothing that can really be done when they are having an episode. As someone who has a homeless person with mental issues in their family, I've seen it first hand. They call wanting help, but they want help in the form of money and food. They don't want to go to a shelter or rehab. Until they make the choice to get help, theres really nothing you can do.
    "THIS IS MY CITY."- PAUL GEORGE