Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Summer League

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 2017 Summer League

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lonzo is going to be what everyone thought Rubio would be when he was 18.
    When Rubio was 17 he was playing against Chris Paul and Kobe Bryant in the Olympics.

Lonzo ball is 19 and he's hiding from D'Aaron Fox in the NBA summer league.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    His first game was the second game for everyone else so he was a step behind.

Watch his second game, he was great in that one.

I was hoping. I'll watch it soon.

Lonzo has an awareness above everyone on the court at the summer league level. Not sure what he's getting so much hate on his game. He also looks like he's still many years from having a body physical enough for the NBA, yet his awareness allows him to contribute heavily on the court. Ignoring the circus outside the court, Lonzo has shown as much as you can show for his age.
    Pacers!

He faked an injury to duck a peer that had repeatedly embarrassed him. He could score 100 next game and my opinion of him wouldn't improve.

His daddy needs to stop speaking for him and making decisions for him. He's very talented but weak as baby ****. When he gets to the real NBA playing against grown men he won't have the luxury of only playing when it's not too tough for him.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

It's not boxing. Lakers are well aware of how to pad Lonzo's stats by putting in finishers on the court with Lonzo. They could've easily set picks on a Fox and on D have him guard someone else. I don't think he faked an injury to duck Fox. Fox may turn out to be a better player but it's too early to tell.

Yes his Dad is annoying. But I don't think Lonzo hides behind it in a weak way. He just seems like he's trying to be a good son. We'll see how the regular season turns out but I think Lonzo has a better statistical year than Fox year 1.
    Pacers!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LAPacer For This Useful Post:

Luke Harangory changed his name to Jack Cooley? you are not fooling me
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to vnzla81 For This Useful Post:

Announcer on the Lakers game said when they had the Ball introductory press conference that Magic pointed to the jerseys in the rafters and said he expected Balls jersey to be retired up there after he led them to multiple championships. Lonzo's just surrounded by classless loudmouths with no humility. I can't help but root against him and it's not his fault at all.

Sports Logo

Ball's gonna be really really good. Bron and PG are gonna love playing with him. Then add in Kuzman and Thomas Bryant and I'm really liking what they did in the draft.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ Jones For This Useful Post:

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    When Rubio was 17 he was playing against Chris Paul and Kobe Bryant in the Olympics.

Lonzo ball is 19 and he's hiding from D'Aaron Fox in the NBA summer league.

Hiding? You cant be serious , hiding from D'Aron Fox..ok

and I will put up 1K that when its said and done, Ball has the much better career (than Rubio and Fox is 50/50)
    Sittin on top of the world!

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

He faked an injury to duck a peer that had repeatedly embarrassed him. He could score 100 next game and my opinion of him wouldn't improve.

His daddy needs to stop speaking for him and making decisions for him. He's very talented but weak as baby ****. When he gets to the real NBA playing against grown men he won't have the luxury of only playing when it's not too tough for him.
    wow, you way over the top

He's a baby? I don't got time for the slick memes but you sound like its so fukin factual a kid whose 20 years old has already been evaluated by the great K Stat, the former GM of the year

Hes a grown man, his Dad doesn't speak for him, his Dad speaks because he wants too.

You like the pariah or shark learching , just waiting to pounce on anything he could possibly do wrong in your judgement .

Honestly I don't even know why your here other than to constantly start *** or convince us how smart you think you are

eat a !

but when he turns out to be a good player and young man, you''l say something different
    Sittin on top of the world!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

It sure sounds like the official offseason for PD now. Have a nice summer folks.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I dunno. Lonzo shows me some things, but there's other things that almost seem like red flags to me.

There's some "RG3" to his game and the hype that almost seems like this is doomed to fail. There's no question, like with RG3, about that play-making ability. His full-court passes are David West-like. But also like RG, when I watch him move, there's something odd about it, lanky and loosey-goosey, maybe even slight. I'm afraid he's going to get hurt. There's a bit of fools gold to his game when I watch, that I always got with RG3, also. And then the level of hype around him, and as much as his dad and Magic talk him up... it's a lot of pressure. It's probably true what everyone says about him, that he's actually a decent kid with a loudmouth dad... and I'm not rooting against him. But my spider-sense is telling me that we're not likely looking at the guy to pass Magic and Jordan and whatever outlandish claim has been made about him. In fact, just in these summer league games, there's been a number of more impressive-looking kids.... Jayson Tatum and Donovan Mitchell (who has become my favorite of the crop and my early prediction for ROY) have blown my mind so far. Fultz looked good before he got hurt. Dennis Smith, Bryn Forbes, Adebayo, Fox, have all looked good. It's an impressive rookie crop.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 07-13-2017 at 11:39 PM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That's my point. Everyone thought Rubio was going to be the next big thing back then because he was so good at such a young age. His shot never really came around and he just never seemed to hit that ceiling people thought he would.

Sports Logo

Biggie still doing what Biggie does. piling up double doubles while making heady passes but still having some turnover issues. Portland fans already love him, shame we took Leaf, the old heads on here would have a love affair with Swanigan.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Biggie still doing what Biggie does. piling up double doubles while making heady passes but still having some turnover issues. Portland fans already love him, shame we took Leaf, the old heads on here would have a love affair with Swanigan.
    Think we should have taken John Collins. He's fantastic. Swanigan is an Al Jefferson clone. Think he'll be in the league a long time, and put up decent stats. Just think Collins would be a great fit here.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to MUpaceSIC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    I dunno. Lonzo shows me some things, but there's other things that almost seem like red flags to me.

There's some "RG3" to his game and the hype that almost seems like this is doomed to fail. There's no question, like with RG3, about that play-making ability. His full-court passes are David West-like. But also like RG, when I watch him move, there's something odd about it, lanky and loosey-goosey, maybe even slight. I'm afraid he's going to get hurt. There's a bit of fools gold to his game when I watch, that I always got with RG3, also. And then the level of hype around him, and as much as his dad and Magic talk him up... it's a lot of pressure. It's probably true what everyone says about him, that he's actually a decent kid with a loudmouth dad... and I'm not rooting against him. But my spider-sense is telling me that we're not likely looking at the guy to pass Magic and Jordan and whatever outlandish claim has been made about him. In fact, just in these summer league games, there's been a number of more impressive-looking kids.... Jayson Tatum and Donovan Mitchell (who has become my favorite of the crop and my early prediction for ROY) have blown my mind so far. Fultz looked good before he got hurt. Dennis Smith, Bryn Forbes, Adebayo, Fox, have all looked good. It's an impressive rookie crop.
    Donovan Mitchell is shooting in the low 30s. He's piling up points but he also takes a ton of shots to get there. His shot selection hasn't improved at all from college and that will get him in the doghouse quick in the NBA.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Slowly removing LA Lakers twitter writers from twitter as I can't stand their Lonzo ball BJ every hour and every second of the day
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

People need to realize that you'll find more fundamentally sound basketball at your local YMCA than in the Summer League. The quality of play has been atrocious.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Slowly removing LA Lakers twitter writers from twitter as I can't stand their Lonzo ball BJ every hour and every second of the day
    Las Vegas summer league is basically Lakers summer camp during lean years. It's a short ride from LA and with all the lottery picks they are a major draw.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Donovan Mitchell is shooting in the low 30s. He's piling up points but he also takes a ton of shots to get there. His shot selection hasn't improved at all from college and that will get him in the doghouse quick in the NBA.
    It's actually 40%, you forgot his Utah league games. That's a far cry from "lower 30s". Not great, either. But I still like what I see.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    It's actually 40%, you forgot his Utah league games. That's a far cry from "lower 30s". Not great, either. But I still like what I see.
    31% from the 3 point line

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Lonzo has looked electric the past few games. Might have the best full court pass in the NBA. I'm also impressed with Smith Jr on Dallas. Fultz has a lot of competition to worry about
    Being unable to close out a game in which you have a comfortable lead in the 4th Q = Pulling a Frank Vogel

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    That's my point. Everyone thought Rubio was going to be the next big thing back then because he was so good at such a young age. His shot never really came around and he just never seemed to hit that ceiling people thought he would.
    The difference between Rubio and Ball will be that Ball will consistently be at least an above average scorer.

I'd expect him to be able to average anywhere between 11 and 16 ppg on highly efficient shooting numbers throughout his career.

Rubio has never been even an average shooter or scorer.

Lonzo Ball was the best player in this draft class...said this 1000x on this board. Nobody wants to believe it because of his dad. Which is one the the dumber things I've read on this board. Saying a lot.

It's summer league. 90% of the guys playing are not NBA players.

Unless this is your first time watching summer league, there is no excuse to really get excited about any of this.

It's a fun event for the fans. That's all it is. None of this carries over.
    Last edited by Kstat; 07-14-2017 at 11:33 AM.