Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pacers post draft lunch w/ Kevin Pritchard & Georges Niang

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers post draft lunch w/ Kevin Pritchard & Georges Niang

Tremendous info here. I was a big fan of Myles before that draft, so kinda cool to hear that story about him jumping up the board. Unless Pritch is just lying through his teeth about PG, it's no wonder TPTB didn't aggressively look to trade him before now. When your franchise player is telling you for months that he wants to stay and you talk about plans together, you don't expect the trade request. Unfortunate situation we're in now, and if Pritch is just playing the media and fans, he's doing a helluva job.

The stuff on Teague has me all conflicted. I was all-in on keeping him if Paul was staying, but I just don't see the purpose of keeping him without PG, for our sake (money) or Jeff's (should go to a contender). But doggone if that doesn't make me want to keep him. If he signs a team-friendly deal just to stay here, he'd be a great mentor for the rebuild, it I like him and think he deserves as much money as he can get, and a chance to compete.
    It's a new day for Pacers Basketball.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like Lonzo and would have been livid if we had that pick and passed him up, dead serious. I do think his dad is absolutely hilarious.
    I expect Lonzo to be an excellent PG. I don't see much funny about his dad. I actually like confident if not arrogant people. Jerks don't bother me. I don't mind a loud mouth, even a drunk one. But his dad isn't funny to me. His dad has a nice smile but otherwise there isn't any redeeming value otherwise.
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

Quote Originally Posted by righteouscool View Post
    I'm sure I'll annoy people with this opinion, but who cares? I want the Pacers to draft basketball players, not basketball historians. This is classic interview fluff. Obviously I hope Leaf works out, but being impressed by his knowledge of basketball history makes him a great fan, not player.
    This. This again. I've heard "high basketball IQ & student of the game" 1000x already about Leaf. People will think that's a great thing to say & the ultimate compliment. Honestly, lowkey insult.

I saw headlines & tweets about his dad growing up in Indiana or something? His dad is a basketball coach?

I dont know. Because I didn't read it, because I don't care at all. All I care about is the game. Can he play or can he not? I honestly feel like Pacers front office thinks the Indiana fanbase cares about that other stuff & if a kid is "a student of the game & has a square piece of wood & ring stapled on his barn" that we'll like the pick more? No. Stop it. Paul George & Lance Stephenson were ballers when they were picked & look at them now. Pacers front office has to dread draft day, it's not hard at all. Thinking they have to find the next best white guy to fill seats or something, idk? I've got no problem with a white guy, I'm white, but know who can ball & who can memorize the NBA rule book. Your 47 & 52nd picks is how you need to draft @ 18.
    Last edited by I Love P; 06-23-2017 at 10:48 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I Love P For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

In a world of fake trade rumors and other similar garbage, this post was an absolute joy...I got more good, behind-the-scenes info from reading this one post than I have from countless articles and various internet reports - and that includes the stuff from major media outlets and other "reputable" sources...thanks for sharing this!

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to The Wizard For This Useful Post:

Not wanting Lonzo because of his father has to be one of the dumbest reasons not to draft a player I've ever heard. Makes you wonder if KP is qualified to do his job
    Being unable to close out a game in which you have a comfortable lead in the 4th Q = Pulling a Frank Vogel

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    Not wanting Lonzo because of his father has to be one of the dumbest reasons not to draft a player I've ever heard. Makes you wonder if KP is qualified to do his job
    Thought the same thing. I don't know if they really would or wouldn't have, even though he said those things today, but I've thought all along if they would have landed the 2nd pick they would regretfully pass on him. So if it's true Pritchard would have passed @ 2 then I will be forever thankful to Magic Johnson for not dealing us #2.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    The only chance of reconciliation at this point is if he signed an extension with the Pacers. We can't take him at his word.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Even then, he'd have to make a public apology. Those bridges are pretty burnt.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    If the Lakers are investigated for Tampering and found guilty, do they surrender picks to the Pacers for the foreseeable future?
    Honestly, I'd think the league could void contracts of players who the Lakers tampered with and were able to sign. They did the same thing when Joe Smith and Minnesota had their little scheme.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by I Love P View Post
    I saw headlines & tweets about his dad growing up in Indiana or something? His dad is a basketball coach?
    His dad was drafted by the Pacers in 1982. But he didn't make the team.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    I'm glad that we were going to pass on Lonzo. I guess that means it's Ingram or bust in regards to a deal with the Lakers (which is fine by me).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    IF only his dad wasn't such a complete MORON...

Anyone see Lavar on draft night... ? I'm sure glad he's not my dad...
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning View Post
    IF only his dad wasn't such a complete MORON...

Anyone see Lavar on draft night... ? I'm sure glad he's not my dad...
    Pretty crappy to have a father involved in his son's life. Made his son a household name at 19 years old. Would be better if he had no fatherly figure at all
    Being unable to close out a game in which you have a comfortable lead in the 4th Q = Pulling a Frank Vogel

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Pretty crappy to have a father involved in his son's life. Made his son a household name at 19 years old. Would be better if he had no fatherly figure at all
    Yeah, way to rape what I just wrote up, but hey I know whose responding...
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Mourning For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by I Love P View Post
    This. This again. I've heard "high basketball IQ & student of the game" 1000x already about Leaf. People will think that's a great thing to say & the ultimate compliment. Honestly, lowkey insult.

I dont know. Because I didn't read it, because I don't care at all. All I care about is the game. Can he play or can he not? I honestly feel like Pacers front office thinks the Indiana fanbase cares about that other stuff & if a kid is "a student of the game & has a square piece of wood & ring stapled on his barn" that we'll like the pick more? No. Stop it. Paul George & Lance Stephenson were ballers when they were picked & look at them now. Pacers front office has to dread draft day, it's not hard at all. Thinking they have to find the next best white guy to fill seats or something, idk? I've got no problem with a white guy, I'm white, but know who can ball & who can memorize the NBA rule book. Your 47 & 52nd picks is how you need to draft @ 18.
    Are you going to be ok?

21. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Do you think Lavar Ball would have allowed his son to play in Indiana? That is how I interpreted part of Pritchard's statement and I think he's 100% correct.

Lavar Ball would have made the most public spectacle anyone has ever seen to get his son traded the moment the Pacers selected him.

The Pacers would not have drafted Lonzo Ball because draft night would have been a nightmare. An immediate trade request from a guy we just drafted in the top 2. Perfect look for the franchise. Lavar made it very clear that if any team other than the Lakers selected his kid he would throw a fit.

Again, Kevin Pritchard did not say "I wouldn't draft Lonzo Ball because of his father." His answer was more nuanced and I provided my interpretation. KP said they decided Lonzo would not be a Pacer if they had the opportunity to pick that high and essentially it was because of what could possibly go wrong. And I agree with him. Lonzo is good, but he's slower than molasses side to side. He gets compared to Kidd a lot, but he does not have Kidd's ability to change direction in the open court. Lonzo would not have been worth the risk for the Pacers in a top 2 pick situation, not when guys like Jayson Tatum, Josh Jackson, and even De'aaron Fox would have also been available. (Which BTW go knock yourself out and watch Lonzo trying to deal with Fox's athleticism when they met in the NCAA tourney) Lonzo is a very polished player, but he's going to lag behind against NBA athletes, he needs to add a back to the basket game.

I don't know if you've seen but a lot of younger NBA players are not really wild about Lonzo because of his father and KP even mentioned concerns about how the locker room would be affected in that sort of situation.

Embiid and Ben Simmons were both clowning on Lonzo on twitter on draft night.

Lonzo's a really nice kid (Pritchard even said we were harder on him than we wanted to be), but his dad hurts him. There's just no denying it. LA is one of the few markets that can maybe absorb him, but even then. Did you guys even see his ESPN interviews? He can say how much he loves his kids, but he makes everything about him "I spoke this into existence" he said on draft night. Good Lord what a maniac.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 06-24-2017 at 02:04 AM.

23. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Do you think Lavar Ball would have allowed his son to play in Indiana? That is how I interpreted Pritchard's statement and I think he's 100% correct.

Lavar Ball would have made the most public spectacle anyone has ever seen to get his son traded the moment the Pacers selected him.

The Pacers would not have drafted Lonzo Ball because draft night would have been a nightmare. An immediate trade request from a guy we just drafted in the top 2. Perfect look for the franchise. Lavar made it very clear that if any team other than the Lakers selected his kid he would throw a fit.
    It would be pretty difficult for the Pacers to draft a guy like Lonzo. He is from LA, went to college in LA, and has made no secret about wanting to play in LA. Even without his dad, that's a tough player to sell the fans on after this PG stuff (even if PG hadn't made the trade demand).

I'm a Lonzo fan, but he's not head and shoulders above guys like Josh Jackson, Jason Tatum, or the guy that destroyed him (twice) De'Aaron Fox. It's not like passing on a Durant or Towns or whoever.

25. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    It would be pretty difficult for the Pacers to draft a guy like Lonzo. He is from LA, went to college in LA, and has made no secret about wanting to play in LA. Even without his dad, that's a tough player to sell the fans on after this PG stuff (even if PG hadn't made the trade demand).

I'm a Lonzo fan, but he's not head and shoulders above guys like Josh Jackson, Jason Tatum, or the guy that destroyed him (twice) De'Aaron Fox. It's not like passing on a Durant or Towns or whoever.
    Yep

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post

Agreed we would never draft him, but he's a combination of Steve Nash and Jason Kidd. I think he will make his team mates better. It will be extremely interesting how he works out but the NBA might actually be a better for him. The only question I have about him is if he can handle pressure defense. I don't think he will lack confidence. I know he can pass extremely well. That wacky shot goes in. He has good size. He's actually more athletic than he looks.

There is one downside to him playing with LeBron. Lonzo is most effective with the ball in his hands. I think guys like Westbrook are better fits for LeBron. Also, Paul George would be great with him.
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

I'm just glad because it sounds like Pritchaed isn't going to trade him for a bag of crap just for the sake of trading him. He sounds like he's willing to play hardball and be the bad guy to this prima Donna bag if need be.

29. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    I'm just glad because it sounds like Pritchaed isn't going to trade him for a bag of crap just for the sake of trading him. He sounds like he's willing to play hardball and be the bad guy to this prima Donna bag if need be.
    I expect Paul to get traded by July 15. KP probably does have some deals he could make and they are probably still talking with teams. I do NOT believe there is any way he will be traded directly to the Lakers whether or not their deal is the best. I expect Paul to go to a contender looking for a rental or possibly to a team that thinks they can re-sign or extend him. The ideal situation would be to trade him to a western conference team interested in challenging GS. I don't think we are going to get a great package in return.

Dumb question, maybe, but can the Pacers just stretch him for the remaining season he is under contract, save some money and rid themselves of a Cancer?

The only reason why I would hesitate to draft Ball would be him pulling a PG to get to Los Angeles. I think he's the best point guard prospect in a long time, at least since Wall but I might give Ball the advantage on him.

Lavar is hilarious to me, and when so many NBA players have absent fathers it's great to see one who cares a lot about his kids. During the draft it was easy to see how proud he was of Lonzo. If he was a bad parent, I don't think Lonzo would let him do all of his dumb crap. I see no reason to think that Lavar is anything other than a good father and a good man. We all had friends growing up who had eccentric but loving families. I think the Balls are just one of those families.

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cousy47 View Post
    Dumb question, maybe, but can the Pacers just stretch him for the remaining season he is under contract, save some money and rid themselves of a Cancer?
    They sure can. The issue with that, beyond the fact that the Pacers can get something for him in a trade, is that they'd have to stretch the player option year, even though George is almost certainly going to opt out of it.
    #DBAP

35. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to shags For This Useful Post:

Mood

Thank you for the write up Trader Joe.

On draft night I was very happy with both the Leaf and Anigbogu picks and think that most of those disappointed will come around on it. After your report I want Jeff Teague back even more than before, I agree with KP , the more Jeff plays with the Pacers the better he will fit in, without PG around I believe Jeff would show more leadership. Hard to come in and try to be a leader when PG was perceived as a Franchise player.

TJ Leaf will in a couple years become a solid 18-20 ppg scorer.

37. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to diamonddave00 For This Useful Post:

I agree. The more I think about it, the more I think Teague could thrive on a post-PG pacers team. Something seemed "off" last year and I think we are learnings it was probably Paul George.

39. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ZepZach For This Useful Post:

Mood

There's one great thing about Leaf knowing so much Pacers history. He's probably aware of how the fans reacted when the Pacers drafted UCLA's Reggie Miller instead of IU's Steve Alford. And he knows how that turned out. So he probably won't worry too much about the noise from fans upset that the Pacers didn't draft IU's OG Anunoby.

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post: