Thread: M&M's Q&A

PacersFan

Default M&M's Q&A

http://www2.indystar.com/articles/8/...-4458-116.html

Mark Montieth: Pacers Q&A
    Indianapolis Star sports reporter Mark Montieth answers your questions about the Pacers.

June 13, 2005

Question: Mark, as with the rest of us Star readers and Pacer fans, I enjoy your columns. I have a trivia question going back to my childhood, listening to a game on radio (Jerry Baker was the announcer, seems like it was a Sunday afternoon) with the Pacers breaking a record for most points in a pro game (ABA or NBA) at that time. Can you help?

What is the most points the Pacers have scored in one game? "Detroit beat Denver 186-184 in a triple-overtime game that set NBA records for most points scored in a game" NBA.com states, but that was a triple-overtime game. (Bob from Indianapolis)

Answer: You remember well, Bob. It was a Sunday afternoon game. I happened to be there, in fact, a 15-year-old kid sitting in an end zone section. A friend from school worked the games as an usher and got us down close.

It was April 12, 1970 and the Pacers beat the Pittsburgh Pipers 177-135 in a game without overtimes. It was reported as a scoring record for any professional basketball game. Boston had scored 173 points in 1959 for the NBA record and the Pacers had scored 172 the previous season against the Los Angeles Stars.

The Pacers scored 46 points in the first quarter, 41 in the second, 39 in the third and 51 in the fourth. According to The Star's story the next day, they fouled as quickly as possible in the final few minutes of the game to get the ball back so they could score again. They were called for 16 fouls in the last period, and Pittsburgh shot 32 free throws.

I don't have to tell you how that would be perceived today. They'd be ripped for violating the integrity of the game, much like Ricky Davis was for shooting at the wrong basket a few years ago to get a triple-double. Philadelphia had done the same thing to help Wilt Chamberlain get his 100-point game, however. The games were taken less seriously then, which wasn't all bad.

You'll be surprised to hear who led the Pacers in scoring that day. John Barnhill, a non-scorer, had 31 points in 31 minutes. Bob Netolicky had 28, Freddie Lewis 26, Art Becker 23, Roger Brown 19, Billy Keller 14, Jay Miller 12 and Oliver Darden 11. Mel Daniels scored just nine points, but had 17 rebounds. Tom Thacker had four points, but 11 assists. The Pacers hit 73-of-130 field goals, 9-of-21 3-pointers and 22-of-31 foul shots.

They declared themselves ready for the playoffs after this game -- there were only two regular-season games left -- and went on to win their first ABA title.

There was another oddity about the game. Keller was hit with three technical fouls in the fourth quarter for arguing a foul call. Referee Norm Drucker admitted Keller did not curse at him and seemed rather amused by it.

"I hit him with three technicals and that's a rarity," Drucker said after the game. "Can you imagine what that would do in a close game? He could have lost it."

Why did Drucker do it?

"I don't have to explain anything," he said. "Can you imagine what would happen if you had to explain every call? You'd need a King Solomon out there."

Question: Are the Pacers looking into trading their pick, or are they looking into drafting Rashad McCants? (Mitch from Zionsville, Ind.)

Answer: Trades are always possible, but that sort of decision usually is made on the day of the draft, after all options are considered. McCants, who left North Carolina after his junior season, is projected to go in the middle of the first round, and I've seen one mock draft that has him going to the Pacers.

That means nothing at this early stage, though. McCants has lottery talent -- he's a great shooter and a legitimate NBA athlete -- but he's short for his position (shooting guard) and has had off-the-court problems.

Question: As far as free agents go, do you think the Pacers have anything up their sleeve? Would Micheal Redd or Larry Hughes be attainable in a sign-and-trade? I have this vision of a starting five of Redd, Ron Artest, Jeff Foster, Jermaine O'Neal and Jamaal Tinsley that makes me smile. DD, JB, JJ and FJ would make a nice rotation, too. (Jamison from Avon, Ind.)

Answer: I'm sure the Pacers would love to have Redd, or Hughes for that matter. They'll be tough to get, though. Milwaukee is banking on re-signing Redd, having made trades in February so that it would be able to do so. A lot of people think he'll leave, though, and his agent has said the Pacers are among the teams that interest him.

The Pacers would have to make a major trade to get him, however, and no doubt give up one or more of the players you envision starting with him. Redd wants a max contract, and it would be difficult for the Pacers to absorb that into their payroll structure.

Question: Let's be honest. Stephen Jackson, Ron Artest, and Jamaal Tinsley may be "scorers" but they aren't "shooters". I think the loss of Reggie Miller is going to be significant. Unless personnel changes are made, I see a season of 35 wins in our future. Your thoughts? (Aaron from Cincinnati, Ohio)

Answer: Remember, the Pacers have generally had success when Miller wasn't able to play in recent seasons. They were 7-2 at the time of the brawl last November, and that was without Miller, Jeff Foster and Anthony Johnson playing. I think they'll be able to score plenty.

His presence will be missed most because of the maturity and stability he brought to the team. Without that, a lot of issues could emerge that were bubbling beneath the surface in past seasons. That, rather than lack of shooting, is their greatest threat in my opinion.

Default Re: M&M's Q&A

Pacers win 35 games ? I don't think so.

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    anyone thinking Aaron from Cincinnati, Ohio is our own jay from section 204?

Sports Logo

Foretaz. Jay lives in Chicago not Cincinnati.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

And I'm "Jay", not "Aaron". Not that complicated now, is it?
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar
    Foretaz. Jay lives in Chicago not Cincinnati.

Well that's what he says, but does anyone really know. It could be his master scheme to throw us all off the trail

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacersFan
    Question: Let's be honest. Stephen Jackson, Ron Artest, and Jamaal Tinsley may be "scorers" but they aren't "shooters". I think the loss of Reggie Miller is going to be significant. Unless personnel changes are made, I see a season of 35 wins in our future. Your thoughts? (Aaron from Cincinnati, Ohio).

Well that's what he says, but does anyone really know. It could be his master scheme to throw us all off the trail
    Maybe if he did move to Cincinnati he could come to a forum party. "Traffic" would no longer be an excuse......

Jay, don't ban me......
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Sports Logo

Good point if there is ever an angry mob of PD posters carrying pitchforks and torches they would be heading to Chicago instead of Cincinnati.

That's not the question here.

The question is, does Jay really know?
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

I predict that the Pacers will win 35 games......by the All-Star Break next year.

I think they are going to make a run at Chicago's record 72 victories next year. I don't think they will make it though, injuries will slow them down.

Quote Originally Posted by PacersFan

Let's be honest. Stephen Jackson, Ron Artest, and Jamaal Tinsley may be "scorers" but they aren't "shooters". I think the loss of Reggie Miller is going to be significant. Unless personnel changes are made, I see a season of 35 wins in our future. Your thoughts? (Aaron from Cincinnati, Ohio)

You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen
    I think they are going to make a run at Chicago's record 72 victories next year. I don't think they will make it though, injuries will slow them down.
    Actually I had already marked Chicagos' name out penciled in the Pacers at 74 wins for 2005-06. I still have trouble spelling Champyuns so I didn't add that yet.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Sure the Pacers could make a run at Chicago's record breaking season......IF there IS a season.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

I don't think this team, even at its full potential, is that good.

Unless David turns into an all-star or something, then maybe.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Hey, I can't believe you idiots are arguing about Jay and still haven't done your sacred duty.

There, that's better. Carry on.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!