Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pruning the roster

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Pruning the roster

A while back Scott Agness tweeted a list of players the Pacers will need to make a decision on in the next few weeks. To guarantee their contracts for the upcoming season or not. Who would you cut loose? Consider that we've added the following today:

PF TJ Leaf
    C Ike Anigbogu
    PG Edmund Sumner
    PF Ben Moore

Note that free agents CJ Miles and Aaron Brooks will probably leave, opening two roster spots.

I'd keep GRIII and Seraphin.

Cut Lavoy, the money we save can go toward whoever replaces CJ Miles.

Cut Joe Young to annoy his cousin Paul. Sumner could assume the 3rd point guard role.
    Cut Niang, I don't see him taking minutes from Leaf.

Christmas is a wild card. Not sure he has a future here, we'll probably look for someone better. Hopefully Ike will replace him eventually but he's not ready yet. I'd probably go ahead and cut Rakeem loose.

I'm guessing we'll need a few open roster spots if we take on any players in a Paul George trade.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Pruning the roster

Leaf pretty much makes Niang redundant. Have to keep GRIII with PG likely gone. Young should be gone and think Sumner has decent chance to earn this roster spot. Serephin should probably stay as a decent value, useful big but depends some on pieces coming back in a PG trade. Cut Lavoy and keep Christmas for bench depth with Ike probably needing to develop in G league but again depending PG trade pieces.
    Last edited by Downtown Bang!; 06-23-2017 at 06:56 AM.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Holy crap... thats mostly a pretty uninspiring group of players...
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

"Pruning the roster" when we just drafted a guy named leaf, I see what you did there

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Was thinking about that last night, add in Moore (not counting LaVoy), we have 9 players for the 4/5 spot (WTH). Even if Niang, Leaf or Thad playing the 3 spot, still way too many bigs. Christmas showed promise last year, so did Seraphin. Both should be kept.

We currently have no starting pg and no back-up sf. And the way PG is acting, maybe not a starting sf.
    Unless Leaf or Thad can play the 3. Then you have Lance/PG/Thad/Leaf/Turner starting. That's a lot of size but some ugly defense outside of PG and Lance.
    The bench is total uglyness with Joe Young/Ellis/GR3/Seraphin/Al
    With Sumner/Christmas/Ike/Moore/Niang

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Holy crap... thats mostly a pretty uninspiring group of players...
    Thanks Bird.

The only guy I want to keep on that list is GRIII.

Nothing like going 2 for 5.

I assume that we can renounce the rights to CJ Miles to clear his cap hold.

The next thing to figure out ( which is more important ) is what to do with Teague....and what to do with Teague is dependent on whether we go forward or not with re-build or re-tool.

There's a part of me that is wondering if we should re-tool as opposed to re-build. If we are convinced that Lebron is going to the Western Conference after this season.....that's the opening that we've been waiting for in the East.

I mentioned it earlier.....it's far easier to re-tool than it is to re-build....and I'm starting to wonder if we should go that route. I'm guessing that with Monta and AlJeff's contracts ( with AlJeff as the exception where he is owed $4 mil next season ) and the likely "re-tool" contract offers ( which is what I am guessing that KP got more of ) whether "Re-tooling" is the route to go.
    Last edited by CableKC; 06-23-2017 at 08:59 AM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

I would keep GRIII and Seraphin.

Teague wants to play for a playoff team so unless the Pacers make some deals to improve the roster, he won't want to sign here whether we want him or not.

The key is moving Paul George. In my opinion we MUST move him before July 1. That way we know what we have and what we need to get. Holding on to him past July 1 will hurt us in Free Agency or any deals we need to make.

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!
    Mood

Young, Allen, Niang, Christmas

Man this roster is uninspiring.

Keep Myles, Stephenson, Robinson, Ike, Seraphin, and Leaf. Let's see what Sumner can do in SL. See what you get for Paul, and go from there

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersalltheway10 View Post
    Young, Allen, Niang, Christmas

Let them go. Overspend on one or two good veterans. That is the only way to get one to come to Indy.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

If dealing with Boston get Smart. ;-). Need some defensive minded players.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

15. The Following User Says Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    Man this roster is uninspiring.

Keep Myles, Stephenson, Robinson, Ike, Seraphin, and Leaf. Let's see what Sumner can do in SL. See what you get for Paul, and go from there
    That's the key. Right now we suck. We have to see what we can get for Paul and what kind of Free Agents we can pick up.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

This will probably be an unpopular opinion, but if we do keep Sumner (pending summer league performance), do we also keep Young to see if he can fit in more on the team in a SG role (his natural position), as opposed to how he's been forced to play PG the last two years. Sumner doesn't have an outside shot, so maybe we can at least see if we have a spot-up shooter in Young. Yes, I know he is very undersized to play on the wing.

However, very uninspiring, nothing flashy that's for sure.
    "I think the people that may have questions about him will say wait a minute, why wasn't he more dominant at Fresno State? He's a maturing player, a guy that's figuring it out and you know when you're considering drafting guys that have been freshman and all that stuff. He's got the potential to get better and better and better." - Jay Bilas on PG on draft night.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

What will the FO do with Monte and his 3rd strike suspension?
    Ever notice how friendly folks are at a shootin' range??.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to indygeezer For This Useful Post:

Lance Stephenson / Joe Young / Edmond Sumner
    Monta Ellis /
    GRIII / Geoerges Niang
    Thad Young (should be pick 20 last year) / TJ Leaf / Rakeem Christmas
    Myles Turner / Al Jefferson / Ike Anigbogu

That's 12 players with 3 roster spots. We'll probably fill the final 3 spots with 3 player acquired in the PG trade.

Looking forward we are going to be real players for the #1 pick next year. I don't think it's hit people yet or understand just how bad we are. Over/Under 24.5 wins next year. Lean: Under.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I Love P For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by I Love P View Post
    Lance Stephenson / Joe Young / Edmond Sumner
    Monta Ellis /
    GRIII / Geoerges Niang
    Thad Young (should be pick 20 last year) / TJ Leaf / Rakeem Christmas
    Myles Turner / Al Jefferson / Ike Anigbogu

That's 12 players with 3 roster spots. We'll probably fill the final 3 spots with 3 player acquired in the PG trade.

Looking forward we are going to be real players for the #1 pick next year. I don't think it's hit people yet or understand just how bad we are. Over/Under 24.5 wins next year. Lean: Under.
    Man, if Monta and Al didn't fit last season, what do you call this!? lol, they're gonna feel like these kids' grandpas!

That said, I've been back and forth on what to do with the old men, and while I'd be scorched earth angry if Pritch attached future assets to get rid of them, I think they're not necessarily good for the young guys to have around. AlJeff clearly had conditioning issues and that doesn't bode well for "teaching the young'uns how to be a professional." Monta has this drug suspension thing, and regardless of anyone's feeling on marijuana, to get suspended for it shows that you're not a great professional either. I'd still look to stretch Al because the dead money isn't going to affect anything the next couple seasons since we won't be after any big time free agents. I don't see any way to get rid of Monta, but I'd explore every option.

Thad, IMO, could be trade-able in the right scenario, and could net a future draft pick. But if we keep him, I do think he's a top notch pro and could provide a great example for the young guys. And again, the cap space this season isn't a concern, especially on his team-friendly contract.

As far as the young guys, I think I have the least hope for Niang, but unless we end up taking back more players in trades, I'd keep them and give them the chance this season to make it or break it. Start Lance and Joe Young, keep Monta on the bench. Keep Sumner as the understudy. Let's give Xmas a chance at steady minutes and see if he can get it together. Make Ike and Xmas fight for their playing time. On the flipside, if the FO sees a bright future for Leaf, make him first big off the bench and see what he can do. Make sure he gets time with Myles in the weight room and on the court so those two can become Peyton Manning-to-Marvin Harrison connected and on the same page in every situation.

We've gotta go after some shooting still (pending PG deal). If we've gotta sign a vet, make it a two-year deal with a great locker room guy that can shoot. That kind of guy could be great for the development of our youngsters.
    It's a new day for Pacers Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy View Post
    Man, if Monta and Al didn't fit last season, what do you call this!? lol, they're gonna feel like these kids' grandpas!

That said, I've been back and forth on what to do with the old men, and while I'd be scorched earth angry if Pritch attached future assets to get rid of them, I think they're not necessarily good for the young guys to have around. AlJeff clearly had conditioning issues and that doesn't bode well for "teaching the young'uns how to be a professional." Monta has this drug suspension thing, and regardless of anyone's feeling on marijuana, to get suspended for it shows that you're not a great professional either. I'd still look to stretch Al because the dead money isn't going to affect anything the next couple seasons since we won't be after any big time free agents. I don't see any way to get rid of Monta, but I'd explore every option.

Thad, IMO, could be trade-able in the right scenario, and could net a future draft pick. But if we keep him, I do think he's a top notch pro and could provide a great example for the young guys. And again, the cap space this season isn't a concern, especially on his team-friendly contract.

As far as the young guys, I think I have the least hope for Niang, but unless we end up taking back more players in trades, I'd keep them and give them the chance this season to make it or break it. Start Lance and Joe Young, keep Monta on the bench. Keep Sumner as the understudy. Let's give Xmas a chance at steady minutes and see if he can get it together. Make Ike and Xmas fight for their playing time. On the flipside, if the FO sees a bright future for Leaf, make him first big off the bench and see what he can do. Make sure he gets time with Myles in the weight room and on the court so those two can become Peyton Manning-to-Marvin Harrison connected and on the same page in every situation.

We've gotta go after some shooting still (pending PG deal). If we've gotta sign a vet, make it a two-year deal with a great locker room guy that can shoot. That kind of guy could be great for the development of our youngsters.

I'd be fine with one throw away year which I was why I was fine with the Lakers trade. Take this year and play the young guys. See what we have. Next year we lose Al and Ellis leaving us with crazy cap room and a lot of young players.

But now it sounds like we will get some rotational players out of PG. Depending on what we get back, will determine if we re-sign Teague (also salary). I love that Teague wants to be here, but if we get a pg that fills in as a starter (or off the bench if Lance starts) on a cheap contract then no reason to keep Teague.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by jrwannabe View Post
    I'd be fine with one throw away year which I was why I was fine with the Lakers trade. Take this year and play the young guys. See what we have. Next year we lose Al and Ellis leaving us with crazy cap room and a lot of young players.

But now it sounds like we will get some rotational players out of PG. Depending on what we get back, will determine if we re-sign Teague (also salary). I love that Teague wants to be here, but if we get a pg that fills in as a starter (or off the bench if Lance starts) on a cheap contract then no reason to keep Teague.
    I like Teague, and I like that he wants to be here. But I see almost no reason to re-sign him.
    It's a new day for Pacers Basketball.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:

I like Teague too and I think he is a very good point guard. We should totally keep him. At least we will have some decent pieces to build on. Myles, Jeff and Lance would be fun to watch at least.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post:

RWB

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I still like Christmas' potential. I liked Seraphin quite a bit, especially when Lance arrived.

Joe Young and Lavoy Allen can go.

Indifferent about Niang. Wouldn't care if he got released or kept.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to PaulGeorgeForPresident For This Useful Post:

Mood

I should have mentioned that the Orlando Summer League starts on 7/1, the same day we have to decide on GRIII, Joe Young, and Xmas' contracts.

We'll get to look at Niang in summer league before we decide on him since his guarantee date is 7/15.

PG: Stephenson/Young/Sumner
    SG: Ellis/
    SF: Robinson/
    PF: Young/Leaf/Niang
    C: Turner/Seraphin/Jefferson/Ike

Hopefully we get Smart from the Celtics and can start him at the 2 along with bringing in Zeller to cut and picks. Then sign Poythress back.

Sports Logo

Why would get dump CJ?

Mood

If we could get Smart and Zeller from Boston for PG now, I would go ahead and do it and make a push to keep Teague and shoot for Hayward. I would cut Young, Allen, and Xmas. I would also watch summer league closely and see Niang and if he has improved any.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffg-body View Post
    If we could get Smart and Zeller from Boston for PG now, I would go ahead and do it and make a push to keep Teague and shoot for Hayward. I would cut Young, Allen, and Xmas. I would also watch summer league closely and see Niang and if he has improved any.
    Niang is a hard one to place. He can shoot, he can pass, he can rebound, he can lead, he can't defend. He's best in zone defense. His biggest downfall is he is built like a SF but has the speed of a stretch 4 but lacks the size. 10 years ago he'd have a solid NBA career. Nowadays, there just isn't a spot for him.

You aren't going to be calling for him to be pulled off the court for making mistakes on the offensive end. Think many would love what he could offer there. But there aren't many good one on one match-ups for him. I think he'd be ok against Anderson or maybe even Love but out side that none. I think he would have excelled playing against the style of play the Heat played last year, but that was a style of play vs individual match up. However, if there is a NBA team out there that still plays zone Niang would be great there. He is good in the zone.

If we have the roster space, we should keep him as the 15th just as a locker room glue guy. IMO, he would be top G-league player or have a very successful overseas career. But he just doesn't have the speed or the leaps to make it as a SF in this league.