Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome TJ Leaf!

Default Re: Welcome TJ Leaf!

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wish that were true but they really can't. The only thing that will hide Leaf's defense is if he changes his mentality from being tissue soft to the type of player that loves contact. He's a step slow, but his mentality is what's killing him.

He plays defense like he needs to start the next fast break, and the fastest way to start it is to let the opponent score.
    That could also be his coach's strategy, woj was talking about this two days ago, he was talking about college coaches making their important players relax on defense so they don't get in foul trouble when they need them the most.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to vnzla81 For This Useful Post:

Undefeated

Quote Originally Posted by MUpaceSIC View Post
    He would have gone top 10 if he played the whole year.
    Not the way he was playing. No effort and essentially wasn't good at anything.
    Danger Zone

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rogco For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    Number of thoughts:

1) Glad we didn't go OG. Consensus favorite around here, not sure why. Freak athlete, built like an ox, injury-concerns, offensive-game limited, didn't really show a lot of improvement.
    2) Tbird: Ya, tbird wasn't glowing about Leaf. I appreciate and enjoy his write-ups, but haven't always agreed with them, and this was one of them.
    3) Defense: It feels like every single draft write-up about prospects these days calls out or nit-picks defense. Not sure why people get so up about this. Defense is arguably the tougher part of the game to pick up and it often takes guys a little bit longer to develop that part. Inevitably, a scout will say "doesn't defend the pick n roll" or "lacks lateral quickness"... well duh. It's college. I can often find just as many "deficiencies" in bluechips offensive game as defensive, but for some reason if a guy has a hole on defense, well he just plain sucks at defense. From waht I wathced on Leaf, he has the size and quickness, work ethic and mindset to at least be serviceable eventually on the defensive end. I don't get the impression he will be a sieve, at least not forever. Of course, he'll struggle next year. But it should get better. Turner had the same comments.... they improve.
    4) Offensively, I'm going to throw out comparisons and folks likely won't agree with me, but here they are: I see hints of Toni Kukoc and Bill Laimbeer. NOT SAYING that he's a carbon copy/doppleganger of those two. Just saying. On the perimeter and open court, he reminds me of Kukoc. In the paint, mid-range, he reminds me of Laimbeer. I think he's going to be a very good offensive piece in this league. Will he lead a team? Probly not, but neither did Kukoc or Laimbeer. I could still see him being a good offensive player, and not just scoring. He seems like a good offensive rebounder, finisher, and passer. He does seem to have a very good IQ. I love to hear and see that.
    5) He's a freshman, but he's a little older. Still, 16/8/2 while shooting 47% from 3 and 60% overall is absolutely nothing to blow off as a freshman.

I think we did just fine, and sort of like the Turner draft where most were jumping off a cliff, I have a feeling most will be changing their tune as they see him play. I actually am excited to see him and Turner together. It's weird to think we have all these bigs now.
    So you think he fits next to Myles?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    try to google what OG's injury actually was besides just "knee injury."
    I don't see what you are talking about, can you please inform me, are you specifically talking about an ACL with a year of recovery time? because I knew that, or are you referring to something else?
    Why so SERIOUS

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ya, I think it can work. Of course, we'll see once they get on the court, so it's all conjecture now, but both guys seem so versatile, and won't necessarily fill up the same space.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I never watch college ball, so I don't know any of the draftees. Only player I heard of before about two days ago was Ball because of his dad. But I don't judge any drafted player until I see them in a real NBA game. So I got no comment. I suppose if I have no comment I shouldn't have posted. Oh well.

I will say one thing, no one and I do mean no one knows for about 2 or 3 years which of the drafted players will be any good.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

I just find it odd that people are acting like a guy who had a productive year as a freaking college freshman against good teams has almost already maxed out his ceiling. I just see nothing to me that suggests that. He's not Hansbrough people. But me personally I would love a Hansbrough/Leaf rotation and I think Hans may surprise some people and earn the spot if he is really invited to camp with a clear slate and given a fair chance to make the team.

I think he could help to toughen up Leaf really. But I know for a fact PD hates Hans but I never really understood why. He was productive for us when he started. Sure he did nothing on the bench, but those were the days productive players for other teams were all dying on our bench for whatever reason.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Midcoasted For This Useful Post:

I've only seen highlights, never heard of him before last night, so take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt, but offensively in those highlights he looks like a poor man's Larry Bird. Offensively I think h could have all-star potential. Defensively, the only thing I saw is he is very lanky, and could be a good rim protector. I think he does have the tools to be a good defender, just needs to put on some muscle, and be coached up.

So based on my very limited knowledge I think we just got great value for 18. But again I'm almost always high on draft picks, about the only to I hated were Hansbrough and Hibbert, so don't listen to me too much.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Undefeated

Quote Originally Posted by Midcoasted View Post
    I just find it odd that people are acting like a guy who had a productive year as a freaking college freshman against good teams has almost already maxed out his ceiling. I just see nothing to me that suggests that. He's not Hansbrough people. But me personally I would love a Hansbrough/Leaf rotation and I think Hans may surprise some people and earn the spot if he is really invited to camp with a clear slate and given a fair chance to make the team.

I think he could help to toughen up Leaf really. But I know for a fact PD hates Hans but I never really understood why. He was productive for us when he started. Sure he did nothing on the bench, but those were the days productive players for other teams were all dying on our bench for whatever reason.
    I've always been a Hans fan for one reason, he was the key cog in our tough identity. When he left the team quickly became soft (Exhibit A: Hibbert). I don't think he was that good, but he did more to create an identity for the team that was successful.
    Danger Zone

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rogco For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rogco View Post
    I've always been a Hans fan for one reason, he was the key cog in our tough identity. When he left the team quickly became soft (Exhibit A: Hibbert). I don't think he was that good, but he did more to create an identity for the team that was successful.
    I was in favor of keep McBob over Hans, but in hindsight this is something I value in Hans. He brought something important to the team even if it wasn't skill.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Didn't they say they were going to introduce these picks today at 3:30? Small chance that we get to see the new jerseys then?

Press conference is live now on Facebook live. KP has already mentioned several times how Nate will be working with TJ on defense. Claims they were really surprised and happy to get him at 18.

Nate backpedaling a little on his comparison to Nick Collison from last night. Obviously both are speaking very highly of TJ and they're talking about how he's rooted in basketball and has some ties to Indiana.

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

What I love the most is

He hasn't even played in a summer league game yet!

Yeah he could very well be a bust , but he could also turn out to be a stud

NO ONE KNOWS THAT YET!

The more I saw of him the more I liked, there is no guarantee , picking at that spot, that we would have gotten a much better player than him

Now if we picked him 4th overall, yes I would have an issue with that, but we picked him 18th
    Sittin on top of the world!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    For those ripping TJ, have you watched him play? He is good

Plus don't call him SOFT!!!

Shoot, he played basketball in Compton !
    Sittin on top of the world!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    I don't see what you are talking about, can you please inform me, are you specifically talking about an ACL with a year of recovery time? because I knew that, or are you referring to something else?
    I'm saying no one actually knows what happened to his knee, everyone assumed ACL because it's so common but the interview he have draft express makes it seem like a new ground type injury, whatever it was

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

I find Leaf very intriguing actually. But his defense is really a worry. If he can improve enough to not be a liability then we might have something here.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

- TJ was on the top of many of the Pacers scouts lists.
    Last edited by CableKC; 06-23-2017 at 07:38 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Early in the college season I posted not to go to sleep on Leaf. He has game and size and a work ethic.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

I may not have liked the pick, but I'm gonna root for this guy like he was my #1 choice. He clearly wanted to be a Pacer and at least he'll hit the open 3.

29. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 3rdStrike For This Useful Post:

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    For those ripping TJ, have you watched him play? He is good

That thumbnail also shows Ike Anigbogu in the background. Cool.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacersalltheway10 For This Useful Post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-42XSxgCADs

This is a game that I think really highlights Leaf's offensive talents. Everyone looks at him as a stretch 4, but in this video we see him rebound and lead a fast break, score out of the post multiple times (against Ivan Rabb who was selected at the beginning of the 2nd round so not a complete scrub), and show good floor vision with multiple nice passes. I know i've seen comparisons to Ryan Anderson but I just don't see it. Leaf looks to be a much better athlete, who can do far more offensively than Anderson who is almost purely a 3 point shooter. Now Leaf, similar to Anderson, will have to improve defensively to ever be an important piece to a team so he'll have to improve there but I am cautiously optimistic...

Of course I'm almost always optimistic, so there's that.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Now that I have had the chance to grieve over the loss of OG, I'm pretty happy with this pick. I think TJ and Turner will be really good together. Kid definitely has some game. Also don't really understand the "upside" detractors, especially from people who love Kennard. TJ is a baby and has tons of room to grow.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Wage For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdStrike View Post
    I may not have liked the pick, but I'm gonna root for this guy like he was my #1 choice. He clearly wanted to be a Pacer and at least he'll hit the open 3.
    Yep, this is where I'm at right now as well. He wants to be here and he certainly has offensive skills and both of these are really important right now.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

Quote Originally Posted by IrishPacer View Post
    Empty vessels make the most noise.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't believe Ryan Anderson is known for handling the ball. TJ is quite skilled at ball handling. I see more Gordon Hayward than Ryan Anderson. Steal of the draft at #18
    Being unable to close out a game in which you have a comfortable lead in the 4th Q = Pulling a Frank Vogel

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post: