Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome TJ Leaf!

Sports Logo

Default Re: Welcome TJ Leaf!

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What about Kennard who was drafted at 12, a shorter version of Leaf. You know, good shooter but poor defender. Would people be happy with Kennard?
    Kennard is a year older. Compare the numbers.
    I'm pretty sure that the majority of the forum would be happy with Kennard.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

Quote Originally Posted by IrishPacer View Post
    Empty vessels make the most noise.

I never watch college ball, so I don't know any of the draftees. Only player I heard of before about two days ago was Ball because of his dad. But I don't judge any drafted player until I see them in a real NBA game. So I got no comment. I suppose if I have no comment I shouldn't have posted. Oh well.

I will say one thing, no one and I do mean no one knows for about 2 or 3 years which of the drafted players will be any good.

FIRE PRITCHARD! TheDavisBrothers's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Honestly to me he seems pretty similar to the guy he's potentially replacing, Thad Young. He's just less athletic, but a better shooter. The big problem I have with him, aside from defense, is if his big plus is being a stretch 4, then he's got to shoot more then 1.7 3's a game!

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    Yes, he's talented offensively. I don't understand the Ryan Anderson comparison as their games are quite different. I've been trying to think of a great comparison all morning but haven't come up with one yet
    I don't know, I watched all the footage I could find of Ryan Anderson in college today(there's not a lot unfortunately) and they seem pretty similar to me. Leaf looks quicker and more creative, Anderson was a bit stronger a college. Even their shot looks similar but Anderson has/had a quicker release. Then again, you don't see Anderson doing dribble pull-ups in the NBA and I think Leaf will be able to have more offensive moves than Anderson. He is taller, longer and quicker off his foot. The strength will come. I am not a big fan of Ryan Anderson by the way but if Leaf turns out to be a longer, better, more versatile Ryan Anderson with the same sort of long range shooting is that such a bad thing at #18? I am really trying my best to be positive here
    uno, due, trezegol!

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Not saying anything about this pick because I don't want to put my foot in my mouth like I did with Turner. I was kind of hoping for OG both for the potential upside and the idea that it would be one fewer team who brings in all the IU fans cheering for them when they come to town.
    BillS

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
    Or throw in a first-round pick and flip it for a max-level point guard...

It's a good pick, if lance is our PG we need legit shooters for that to work. Guy wants to be here as well which is important. Leaf/Hansbrough rotation at PF I can dig it.
    *removed* Just keep politics and religion completely out of it, please.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Theodore For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TheDavisBrothers View Post
    Honestly to me he seems pretty similar to the guy he's potentially replacing, Thad Young. He's just less athletic, but a better shooter. The big problem I have with him, aside from defense, is if his big plus is being a stretch 4, then he's got to shoot more then 1.7 3's a game!
    I was thinking the samething when we picked him. I was like we already have that type of player on our team - Thad. IMO, Collins would have been better as he'd be a better fit next to Turner.

Crazy thing is, Leaf I think could be very effective off the bench with Lance and Big Al.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post

Then I do not think it is a big stretch to be happy with Leaf. Instead we have pretty much everyone condemning the pick.

Kennard stats

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/...kennard-1.html

Leaf stats

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/...tj-leaf-1.html

Leaf was highly productive as a freshmen.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Mood

Like Hayward I think he could add about 10 or 15 pounds of muscle and be able to bang a little and still be a pretty good outside shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    Yes, he's talented offensively. I don't understand the Ryan Anderson comparison as their games are quite different. I've been trying to think of a great comparison all morning but haven't come up with one yet
    I keep hearing he's sneaky athletic. I think he has a Chandler Parsons type of game.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    guarantee a ton of teams took OG off their board because of medicals
    Yeah I imagine so; however, there are many explosive NBA players with these types of injuries that have not lost a step. At 18 in the draft, I don't think it is too much of a reach to take a player with all star potential even with the injury potential. Especially a player with defensive potential when you will be going against teams like the loaded Cavs for many years in the future.
    Why so SERIOUS

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by TheDavisBrothers View Post
    He's pretty athletic, just in a weird quirky way, haha.
    Why so SERIOUS

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdStrike View Post
    This is an awful pick unless they flip him, which they won't. Bird learned not to pick guys like this. You guys all dissed Bird and hyped up Pritchard and his drafting and he picks THIS guy? FFS.
    The question would be who was still available, when Bird drafted Hansbrough there was a TON of good players that everyone on the planet not named Larry Bird knew would be good players.

Mood

He also has a little Dirk to his game
    Why so SERIOUS

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I'm happy with the pick

These highlights aren't impressive

17. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

I'm telling you, we are all going to love this guy (minus peck of course)

@WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vnzla81 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    Yeah I imagine so; however, there are many explosive NBA players with these types of injuries that have not lost a step. At 18 in the draft, I don't think it is too much of a reach to take a player with all star potential even with the injury potential. Especially a player with defensive potential when you will be going against teams like the loaded Cavs for many years in the future.
    try to google what OG's injury actually was besides just "knee injury."

Mood

Sports Logo

This kid needs to intravenous protein shakes for the next three months, or else I'm gonna whoop his ***

The more I think about it I think he is more like Chandler Parson before the knee issues

@WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to vnzla81 For This Useful Post:

Undefeated

No idea about this guy. Just glad we didn't pick OG. He was a train wreck last year before he got injured. I honestly don't think he'd have been picked in the first round of he'd played the entire year.
    Danger Zone

I don't think he's a bad player, just don't understand the fit defensively. You need a guy that can defend and rebound alongside Myles. Could have accomplished that with other players. I feel like OG Anunoby would have been perfect, and Harry Giles would have been decent too (not guarding the perimeter though).

Quote Originally Posted by Rogco View Post
    No idea about this guy. Just glad we didn't pick OG. He was a train wreck last year before he got injured. I honestly don't think he'd have been picked in the first round of he'd played the entire year.
    He would have gone top 10 if he played the whole year.

Mood

Welcome to the team TJ Leaf. I like the pick. Remember when we picked a skinny little fella last time from UCLA? The thing that got me was his desire to be here. He has a lot of potential and his defensive shortcomings can be worked with and playing next to Turner will help that. He seems to have a strong work ethic and is willing to learn.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to jeffg-body For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jeffg-body View Post
    He has a lot of potential and his defensive shortcomings can be worked with and playing next to Turner will help that.
    I wish that were true but they really can't. The only thing that will hide Leaf's defense is if he changes his mentality from being tissue soft to the type of player that loves contact. He's a step slow, but his mentality is what's killing him.

He plays defense like he needs to start the next fast break, and the fastest way to start it is to let the opponent score.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Number of thoughts:

1) Glad we didn't go OG. Consensus favorite around here, not sure why. Freak athlete, built like an ox, injury-concerns, offensive-game limited, didn't really show a lot of improvement.
    2) Tbird: Ya, tbird wasn't glowing about Leaf. I appreciate and enjoy his write-ups, but haven't always agreed with them, and this was one of them.
    3) Defense: It feels like every single draft write-up about prospects these days calls out or nit-picks defense. Not sure why people get so up about this. Defense is arguably the tougher part of the game to pick up and it often takes guys a little bit longer to develop that part. Inevitably, a scout will say "doesn't defend the pick n roll" or "lacks lateral quickness"... well duh. It's college. I can often find just as many "deficiencies" in bluechips offensive game as defensive, but for some reason if a guy has a hole on defense, well he just plain sucks at defense. From waht I wathced on Leaf, he has the size and quickness, work ethic and mindset to at least be serviceable eventually on the defensive end. I don't get the impression he will be a sieve, at least not forever. Of course, he'll struggle next year. But it should get better. Turner had the same comments.... they improve.
    4) Offensively, I'm going to throw out comparisons and folks likely won't agree with me, but here they are: I see hints of Toni Kukoc and Bill Laimbeer. NOT SAYING that he's a carbon copy/doppleganger of those two. Just saying. On the perimeter and open court, he reminds me of Kukoc. In the paint, mid-range, he reminds me of Laimbeer. I think he's going to be a very good offensive piece in this league. Will he lead a team? Probly not, but neither did Kukoc or Laimbeer. I could still see him being a good offensive player, and not just scoring. He seems like a good offensive rebounder, finisher, and passer. He does seem to have a very good IQ. I love to hear and see that.
    5) He's a freshman, but he's a little older. Still, 16/8/2 while shooting 47% from 3 and 60% overall is absolutely nothing to blow off as a freshman.

I think we did just fine, and sort of like the Turner draft where most were jumping off a cliff, I have a feeling most will be changing their tune as they see him play. I actually am excited to see him and Turner together. It's weird to think we have all these bigs now.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post: