Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome TJ Leaf!

Default Re: Welcome TJ Leaf!

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not trying to say that stereotypes don't exist. They certainly exist and they are usually far more negative than "white men can't jump". What I'm disputing is that these stereotypes played a role on how the board views this pick.

The majority of the board was approaching this draft (correctly, in my opinion) as the first rebuilding draft of our team in years. Therefore, they expected the team to pick someone with a lot of potential. TJ simply isn't that player. He is a pick that suits a contending team much better than it suits a team that is going through a rebuild. He doesn't look to be a great fit next to Myles Turner either since neither is particularly good at defensive rebounding or at guarding big Cs.

Those two reasons plus the fact that T-Bird didn't like him a lot and put him at #21 in his big board (and yes, T-Bird's opinion carries a lot of weight in this forum) are enough to make people view the pick apprehensively. The unresolved PG situation isn't helping things either.
    The Pacers fans have low IQs too. The Facebook posts are pretty much all calling him trash. That he's unathletic and soft and will be the next no defense soft Troy Murphy. All the typical white guy stereotypes and I know for a fact 90 percent of those people know little or nothing about him. He's going to be a bruiser in the post when he gets his NBA body and training I think and he will work hard and play hard every night. No soft Troy Murphy in his game.

Plus I'm from Evansville and his mom is from here and his dad is from Indy and they met at the University of Evansville like 5 minutes from my house. With him and Lance I have my two favorite Pacers on the roster now.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Midcoasted For This Useful Post:

Also it does not matter how good the player actually is or their potential. I will not hesitate to pull up the threads right before we drafted PG and everyone thought it was a lock Bird would draft the white guy Hayward and how bad that would be for us and that he fits all the white stereotypes and will be garbage. Well looking back now I'd much rather have him than PG and his diva *** that screwed us out of assets so he could help the scrub *** Lakers build a super team.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Midcoasted For This Useful Post:

Need only matters if we planned on contending. With PG out of the picture we aren't contending so in the draft we should aim for upside.
    We just drafted a freshman from UCLA who will be a rookie. Like what age do you think he will enter his peak physical prime? 23, 24, 25? Well that is like between 4 and 6 years from now. So no chance we are contending by then? This rebuild is going to be even longer than the JOB era or something? I bet we make a top 5 spot in the East next year. Pacers don't rebuild, we retool. Other than after the brawl when we gutted our franchise, but that was a special case where we got screwed to get rid of a toxic thug culture permeating the team.

All Pritchard talked about during his Dakich interview was acquiring tough, defensive-minded players that are big for their position. And then he drafted a guy who is none of these things.

That's why I'm totally confused. I didn't even think it was a possibility that we'd draft Leaf. I was legitimately stunned when I saw his name.

Some people will like him. I think it's very likely that his basic stats will be good, just like Troy Murphy's were. They are different style players though.
    Last edited by imawhat; 06-23-2017 at 08:13 AM.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

The more I watch on Leaf the more I think he'll be a very good offensive player in the NBA. He's fairly athletic on that side of the ball. He's Turner Esque with more range. Bad part is he's nothing on defense while Turner has great potential on that side of the ball.

That said- Leaf was a good pick with what was left on the board.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to brownjake43 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

OK, after giving the DraftExpress videos another look, I'm still not inspired, but I do think he'll be able to play a role on offense. He should find Myles Turner right now and start working out with him. TJ just turned 20 in April, so it's not like he'll never get bigger, but it's priority number one from day one, IMO. After every workout, he needs to be locked in a room with Dan Burke to learn defense. If he can get a little stronger and hold his spot, he has the height and length to at least not be a matador.

I'm concerned still about the fit with Myles because of TJ's lack of strength and defense right now. If TJ's offense can translate to the NBA outside of just 3-pt shooting, then I can see our frontcourt being a handful on offense. They can both spread the floor and TJ hopefully can bring some points in the paint. He and Myles should be able to play off each other, and if they can build a rapport, the passing and balance between them should be a benefit.

I'm just really concerned about the defense, and until TJ adds some muscle, he's not going to help the rebounding much.
    It's a new day for Pacers Basketball.

I wasn't happy when we made the pick but now that I slept a few hours on it, it is not really fair. I've been clamoring for naturally talented offensive players that play the right way and can shoot really well for a long time and TJ certainly is a smart player on the offensive end which we desperately need. Hoping he will get stronger and won't be a sieve on defense but his offense should be fine. He seems to have the speed and quickness for a 4. He's gotta make sure that he becomes a knockdown shooter from 3 and he puts on some weight. He seems like a hard working kid with a lot of confidence.

I mean is a longer, bouncier, quicker, better passing Ryan Anderson that bad of a thing at #18, especially in this day and age in the NBA? Just trying to be positive.. I wanted OG too but if TJ pans out, this can actually turn out to be a good value pick. At the end of the day, a lot depends on how Myles is going to develop. If Myles can become stronger and better in defense and rebounding, I can see the pair working out well for us.
    uno, due, trezegol!

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to faank For This Useful Post:

Sigh. Yes because the board would be so depressed if we drafted someone like Markkanen or Porzingis. People are disappointed because of TJ's perceived lack of potential. Skin color has nothing to do with it.

What about Kennard who was drafted at 12, a shorter version of Leaf. You know, good shooter but poor defender. Would people be happy with Kennard?
    Kennard is a year older. Compare the numbers.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Mood

Another positive, after the initial shock, is how much Leaf wants to be here. You could tell in Pritchard's presser that it meant a lot to him, and right now for Pacers fans, it means more than the usual lip service we get about young guys that are excited to play in the house that Reggie built. Having family ties here is cool, but what really told me it's more legit than lip service was Lonzo's reaction for his teammate. Genuine excitement and "that's where he wanted to go!"

I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard to be the shepherd.

15. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think Leaf can be a good backup PF. The kind of guy that you can bring in off the bench and give you some scoring. Scoring off the bench is something that we have needed the last several years.

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by funnyguy1105 View Post
    Still can't figure out why this kid can't guard. He seems to have solid size and measurables - is it just bulk?

Guess I'll go peruse the TBird writeup on him again...
    He doesn't change direction well. Slow footed. If he improves on that, he has a strong future.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    With TJ and Ike.....it looks like they will greatly benefit from having someone create offense for the both of them. Playing with the best passer in college helps a lot.
    Leaf wasn't a scrub before that though. He was a McD's All-American with an already recognized game and some real talent. And he continued the trend of being a good offensive player, while having one of the best creator's on his team.

I'm uninspired by the pick but let's give him a shot to see how good he is before passing judgment.

If nothing else, he's got some offensive skill

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Yes, he's talented offensively. I don't understand the Ryan Anderson comparison as their games are quite different. I've been trying to think of a great comparison all morning but haven't come up with one yet

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    Yes, he's talented offensively. I don't understand the Ryan Anderson comparison as their games are quite different. I've been trying to think of a great comparison all morning but haven't come up with one yet
    Very poor mans version of Hedo Turkoglu with bounce

I'm happy with the pick

@WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to vnzla81 For This Useful Post:

I'm listening to Grady and Big Joe. They have Coach Schilling (former UCLA assistant coach) on talking about TJ Leaf.

He is very high on Leaf. He says he is sneaky athletic and a good shooter. He says he is tough and should be a stretch 4 in the NBA. He also said that if he worked on his lateral quickness, he may have a shot to play the 3. He compared him with Gordon Hayward. He said he had worked with Hayward some in the summer, I think it was right after he was drafted.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sav For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by sav View Post
    I'm listening to Grady and Big Joe. They have Coach Schilling (former UCLA assistant coach) on talking about TJ Leaf.

He is very high on Leaf. He says he is sneaky athletic and a good shooter. He says he is tough and should be a stretch 4 in the NBA. He also said that if he worked on his lateral quickness, he may have a shot to play the 3. He compared him with Gordon Hayward. He said he had worked with Hayward some in the summer, I think it was right after he was drafted.
    Lol

28. The Following User Says Thank You to funnyguy1105 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Lol
    Leaf very well may end up a valuable role guy for us for the next 7 years but to expect him to not only play the 3 but also give some bogus comparison to GH is laughable.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Midcoasted View Post
    The Pacers fans have low IQs too. The Facebook posts are pretty much all calling him trash. That he's unathletic and soft and will be the next no defense soft Troy Murphy. All the typical white guy stereotypes and I know for a fact 90 percent of those people know little or nothing about him.
    Facebook posts do not represent PacersDigest. The vast majority of Facebook posts, no matter the topic, are absolutely horrible and ill-informed. That's just the nature of Facebook posts.

He's going to be a bruiser in the post when he gets his NBA body and training I think and he will work hard and play hard every night. No soft Troy Murphy in his game.

Plus I'm from Evansville and his mom is from here and his dad is from Indy and they met at the University of Evansville like 5 minutes from my house. With him and Lance I have my two favorite Pacers on the roster now.
    Personally, I'm not going to make any predictions about him other that he's going to be good shooter for us and that's good. We'll see how the other areas of his game will develop
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

Quote Originally Posted by IrishPacer View Post
    Empty vessels make the most noise.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

For those ripping TJ, have you watched him play? He is good

Being unable to close out a game in which you have a comfortable lead in the 4th Q = Pulling a Frank Vogel

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:

Leaf very well may end up a valuable role guy for us for the next 7 years but to expect him to not only play the 3 but also give some bogus comparison to GH is laughable.
    Hey, I'm just telling you what coach Schilling said.

I haven't seen Leaf play much at all, so I don't know. My gut says he'll be a good backup PF.

Mood

Is he a little more athletic and well-rounded offensively Austin Croshere?

Sports Logo

We just drafted a freshman from UCLA who will be a rookie. Like what age do you think he will enter his peak physical prime? 23, 24, 25? Well that is like between 4 and 6 years from now. So no chance we are contending by then? This rebuild is going to be even longer than the JOB era or something? I bet we make a top 5 spot in the East next year. Pacers don't rebuild, we retool. Other than after the brawl when we gutted our franchise, but that was a special case where we got screwed to get rid of a toxic thug culture permeating the team.
    25 to 27 seems to be the age range that a player reaches his physical prime. The issue here isn't Leaf's age. It's the fact that he isn't projected to have a lot of potential. He is considered to have a high floor but not a very high ceiling. And during a rebuild people would generally rather take someone with a very high ceiling.

Also, no way in hell that we get a top 5 spot in the East next year. The only way that this can happen is if we trade PG for another star or 2-3 really good players which is not happening anytime soon.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

Quote Originally Posted by IrishPacer View Post
    Empty vessels make the most noise.

Leaf was probably the 2nd or 3rd best shooter in that whole draft, good pick at 18.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!