Thread: Michael Jackson verdict due at 3:45 central.

Default O.T. Michael Jackson verdict due at 3:45 central.

The verdict hasn't been announced yet but will be about 3:45 central.

http://apnews.excite.com/article/200...D8AMU97G0.html
    By LINDA DEUTSCH

(AP) Michael Jackson arrives at the Santa Barbara County courthouse, April 12, 2005 in Santa Maria,...
    Full Image

SANTA MARIA, Calif. (AP) - The jury in the Michael Jackson trial reached a verdict Monday in the child molestation and conspiracy case against the pop superstar.

Sheriff's deputies and court officials said the verdict was to be read after attorneys and Jackson reached the courthouse. The singer was told earlier that he would have about an hour to arrive from his Neverland ranch.

The jury, which listened to 14 weeks of testimony and arguments, deliberated over seven days before sending word of a verdict at about 12:30 p.m.

The announcement came shortly after Judge Rodney S. Melville issued a statement saying that the jury asked and withdrew a question Monday morning. He also confirmed that on Friday the jury had a read-back of testimony and there were four meetings in chambers with attorneys. News organizations had filed motions seeking information on such developments.

Jackson, 46, is charged with molesting a 13-year-old cancer survivor in 2003, plying him with wine and conspiring to hold the boy and his family captive to get them to rebut a damaging television documentary.

In the documentary, "Living With Michael Jackson," Jackson held hands with the boy and told interviewer Martin Bashir that he let children into his bed but it was innocent and non-sexual.

Jackson, who climbed to fame with the Jackson 5 and dominated pop music in the 1980s with the powerhouse "Thriller" and other albums, was portrayed at trial as a pedophile who lured boys into his bed at his fairytale Neverland ranch. The defense called the accuser and his family con artists.

Jackson's career began to lose its luster after 1993 allegations of child molestation that ended with a multimillion-dollar civil settlement paid to a boy, and his lifestyle, two marriages, and drastic changes in appearance became fodder for "Wacko Jacko" tabloid headlines.

---

Default Michael Jackson verdict to come in about 15 mins

Watching CNN now, they're awaiting for Michael Jackson to arrive to court for the verdict to be read.

I really believe he's innocent. But I haven't seen the evidence so I don't really know.

I didn't know to put this in Entertainment, Shout Box, or Politics, so I put it in here because he's an entertainer.

Default Re: O.T. Michael Jackson verdict due at 3:45 central.

Thanks for the heads up.

Default Re: Michael Jackson verdict due at 3:45 central.

According to MTV News (I feel like a retard using that as a source), if guilty he'll be allowed to wear makeup but denied plastic surgery. His first few days would be spent among the general population in reception.

Thanks for merging this Hicks.

Totally missed Will's post.

so anything yet?

He's just arriving at the court house; walking inside. It's going to be a couple minutes.

It would be sad to see him go to jail, then again it would be sad to see him not get what he deserves if he in fact did commit the crimes.

WOW.

I am very surprised at this.

Same here. Not guilty on ALL charges. That was unexpected.

woman without a team

I don't think it was totally unexpected. In my opinion if there was any validity to the charges they were overshadowed by the parents' history of trying to builk money from anyone they could.

And then there's the fact that it was a LA jury.

Not guilty on all charges. WOW I thought he was going to jail...lol
    yeah right. The prosecution screwed up big time. THe mom didn't help the case either. Should have settled out of court with some $$$ instead of fighting a losing cause.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think the family can still sue Jackson even though he was found not guilty, in much the same way Nicole Simpson's family sued OJ after his not guilty verdict. With that said, I'm not at all surprised that he was found not guilty on all charges. The prosecutors were fighting an uphill battle all the way once the families celebrity money grab strategy came to light. Was justice served? Probably. It's hard to say given the limited evidence that has made it to the public whether he's guilty or not. All I know is that you have to trust the justice system. If twelve people watched the trial and decided he's not guilty, then he more than likely isn't. Mistakes are made but I would imagine that jury's get far more of them right than wrong. You can't expect perfection out of an imperfect system.

I have no idea if he was guilty or not. Obviously, sharing a bed with children wasn't very bright.

At least this jury took a week to review the evidence and make their decision. I'm inclined to believe it was the right one. That's in sharp contrast to a jury coming back after a couple of hours in a months-long case about 10 years ago.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

*Starts playing guitar riff from "Beat It"*

I have no real idea whether he was really guilty or not (of course I have my speculation but that is beside the point I want to address).

I wonder if people realize how many people are convicted on far less evidence than what was presented against Michael Jackson. That's not to say Michael Jackson was guilty, it is simply speaking to the difference a good attorney can make in punching holes in the prosecution's case.

I fear that in our court system a lot of 'rubber stamping' takes place when the defendant can't afford the best of attornies and/or the existing attornies get a little jaded and just go with the system. The prosecution charges, or overcharges the defendant.... the defense atty then glances over the paperwork and then the prosecutor and defense atty 'agree' to a 'canned' plea agreement and then the defendant is 'sold' on it being his best alternative (regardless of guilt or innocence or regardless of the strength of the prosecutions case or ability to stand up to scrutiny).

And so the poor defendant, if he really isn't guilty, doesn't have the means to put up a fight and/or go atty shopping.

So the judge rubber stamps it and everyone moves on to the next case.

Meanwhile, in these high profile cases the attornies actually research and question the prosecution witnesses on their claims. They challenge things. They don't allow procedural gaffs to go unchallenged or consider them minor issues worthy of little more than a shrug.

The jury, expecting CSI worthy evidence, gets something far less convincing and the defense drives that point home to them. Of course if the forensic evidence is only mildly challenged, or not challenged at all (especially in the case of a plea bargain) then the jury is left to believe (or assume) it must be the 'be all-end all' of the story. The same is true of witnesses and their challenges. Little research will lead to little credibility issues being found. Again, without much debate the jury is left to believe or to take the witness at face value.

OTOH, in this world of "Law and Order" to "CSI" I feel juries are expecting evidence to be irrefutable and are looking for a smoking gun. The big money defendants can afford to hire attornies who can show that few things are absolute and who can (afford to) dig deeper into the minutia of the evidence.

But then that is also why I believe too much rubber stamping and overlooking of procedural issues goes on at the lower levels of the criminal justice system. If the i's were all dotted properly and the t's are crossed as expected then it wouldn't be so important that money come into play. The evidence could be more trusted on its face and there'd be less room for any lawyer, high priced or not, to tear apart the evidence (or witnesses).

I also have to wonder if in the issue of high profile cases if prosecutors aren't a little lax because they are used to the rubber stamping of the more normal cases that flow thru the system.

And saying all this means that I tend to think that (many) judges are not exactly unbiased. Another reason that makes the 'need' for high dollar attornies (or attornies who will do more than the absolute minimum) necessary. And of course the police are going to be biased... they made the arrest in the first place.

Or maybe I am just jaded....

Michael Jackson- Guilty or Innocent? That we might never know but the system.... Well, it just could be guilty as charged.

-Bball

EDIT: A last thought... I am one of the people who would rather see a guilty man go free than an innocent man dragged thru the system, much less imprisoned.

A further thought... I believe our school system does an extremely poor job of educating children to the ins and outs of our justice system and how it is supposed to operate.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden