Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Artest for Dampier

foretaz

Default Artest for Dampier

this is primarily directed at those that have a certain disdain for artest and would prefer to see him gone....

ive seen that dampier was a hot commodity around this board last offseason...granted his season this season has probably cooled people a great deal....

but im curious...because i have a feeling cuban would love to get rid of him now....and cuban definitely strikes me as someone who would tackle the artest situation....what would ur thoughts be on an artest for dampier trade...it would have to be tinkered with a bit ...but its very close....does ur dislike for artest allow u to take on dampier and his albatross contract....knowing jo kinda likes him and he would provide another decent big body????....im curious....so please...do tell...others can chime in as well....ive made it very clear what i think of any trade regarding artest....so that shouldnt really be an issue...

Default Re: Artest for Dampier

Quote Originally Posted by foretaz
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    this is primarily directed at those that have a certain disdain for artest and would prefer to see him gone....

ive seen that dampier was a hot commodity around this board last offseason...granted his season this season has probably cooled people a great deal....

but im curious...because i have a feeling cuban would love to get rid of him now....and cuban definitely strikes me as someone who would tackle the artest situation....what would ur thoughts be on an artest for dampier trade...it would have to be tinkered with a bit ...but its very close....does ur dislike for artest allow u to take on dampier and his albatross contract....knowing jo kinda likes him and he would provide another decent big body????....im curious....so please...do tell...others can chime in as well....ive made it very clear what i think of any trade regarding artest....so that shouldnt really be an issue...
    Not if we re-sign Dale.

Even if we didn't re-sign Dale I am just sick of injured players. Sorry I've just lost patience with them (yes for those of you who want to bring him up I'm sure I'd be sick of Brad doing the same thing now to).

I like Dampiers size & there are times that he plays great. But there are just to many times we see what Bird was talking about back in his first season here. Dampier is lazy.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    Not if we re-sign Dale.

Even if we didn't re-sign Dale I am just sick of injured players. Sorry I've just lost patience with them (yes for those of you who want to bring him up I'm sure I'd be sick of Brad doing the same thing now to).

I like Dampiers size & there are times that he plays great. But there are just to many times we see what Bird was talking about back in his first season here. Dampier is lazy.

i bet u would really like the deal if harrison was included in the trade, wouldnt u??

speaking of the mavs....anyone see much of darrell armstrong this year??? hes the type of pg i think would be a good fit for the pacers....of course im thinking of the darrell armstrong in his prime...full of energy...great defender..tons of speed...decent three point shooter...now hes much older...anyone seen him play recently? has he slowed down alot? is he only a shadow of his former self? he had heart, that was for sure...

Dampier is garbage, especially when you consider his contract.

i will admit, i was high on dampier after last season b/c it looked like he had finally turned the corner........now, i want nothing to do with him..........his contract is ridiculous and it's obvious after his performance this season that he's a lazy/unmotivated player. he put up big numbers in 2003-2004 to get that contract and now has gone back to his old ways......he fooled a lot of people and i would be pissed if i were a mavs fan.

the guy is seriously messed in the head too. i about $#%ing lost it when he said he was the 2nd best center in the league back in may..........then he goes out and gets his *** handed to him by Yao in the 1st round.

he's a headcase, he's lazy, and he's overpaid. good riddence for GS.......he's cuban's problem now.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I was an advocate of Dampier last season under certain scenarios:

1) Dampier was the best post-defender available via free agency/ trade last summer, and that was (and to some extent, still is) a major need for this team. However, drafting Harrison (and later re-signind DD) were each 'better' ways to address that need.

2) We already knew that Bird didn't think all that much of Dampier's practice habits from their brief time together during the rookie/FA camp before Damp's second season, so I was certain that we wouldn't overpay for him if we targeted him. Cuban, on the other hand, really needs to hand over the checkbook to somebody with a better bball IQ.

As it is now, I'd trade lesser players for him (I'd trade Fred, JJ and Pollard for Dampier, for example), but I'm pretty sure a) that won't work under the current CBA and b) Cuban would scoff at that although I think he'd be hard pressed to do better.

If the salaries matched, I'd trade Ron for him simply because you might not be able to do better. But unless Pollard's salary exactly made up the difference, I wouldn't add anybody else to that trade.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    I was an advocate of Dampier last season under certain scenarios:

1) Dampier was the best post-defender available via free agency/ trade last summer, and that was (and to some extent, still is) a major need for this team. However, drafting Harrison (and later re-signind DD) were each 'better' ways to address that need.

2) We already knew that Bird didn't think all that much of Dampier's practice habits from their brief time together during the rookie/FA camp before Damp's second season, so I was certain that we wouldn't overpay for him if we targeted him. Cuban, on the other hand, really needs to hand over the checkbook to somebody with a better bball IQ.

As it is now, I'd trade lesser players for him (I'd trade Fred, JJ and Pollard for Dampier, for example), but I'm pretty sure a) that won't work under the current CBA and b) Cuban would scoff at that although I think he'd be hard pressed to do better.

If the salaries matched, I'd trade Ron for him simply because you might not be able to do better. But unless Pollard's salary exactly made up the difference, I wouldn't add anybody else to that trade.
    actually artest and eddie gill for dampier would work...u would do this? knowing there is 6 years and 60 million dollars left on dampiers contract?

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

actually artest and eddie gill for dampier would work...u would do this? knowing there is 6 years and 60 million dollars left on dampiers contract?
    No Freaking way!!!!!!!

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning
    No Freaking way!!!!!!!

Regards,

Mourning
    lol...oh i was pretty sure u would feel that way...as i obviously do...i am curious as to what those that have the disdain for artest think, though...cause this is the type of deal that we can probably expect....in fact this might be considered a best case scenario....one could argue that the pacers would be better off to release him than this deal...as far as im concerned...or at least get a draft choice...but these are the type of scenarios that people are dealing with when the subject of trading or getting rid of artest comes up....

Sports Logo

No thank you.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Nope. Other than laziness, he had issues with a knee going back to his time here.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Ruling out the posters just want to get rid of Ron, I think most people that want to trade him wouldn't do so much faster than the ones that like him.

foretaz

ok...if u dont like dampier...because of knees, laziness, and contract issues....

how bout shawn bradley and a signed and traded darrell armstrong...

Uh, no thanks.

I would trade Ron for that Josh Howard kid though.

How good is Marquis Daniels? I never saw him play, is he a good defender?
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Mood

Last year I might have said yes. Not now.

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    Uh, no thanks.

I would trade Ron for that Josh Howard kid though.

How good is Marquis Daniels? I never saw him play, is he a good defender?
    theyre both good players...as is devin harris....though i dont think cuban would trade any of them...as they are all part of the core hes put together....

i think cuban is one of the few guys that would be very interested in artest...especially at the right price....but thats just it....i dont think these types of deals are gonna get much better, given all that has happened...

which would be the dilemma before the court...if u want to get rid of him....do u do this type of a deal??? some have implied u do...im just hoping to get takes on actual scenarios...

i think u can kiss sacramento as a trading partner goodbye....theyre trying to get a new building....and critics of that new building would have a heyday with artest....

I'd rather be shot than accept an Artest for Dampier trade. I watched Dampier's pure laziness from the day he was traded to the left coast. Then when it came close to contract year, he decides to earn his pay. I admit that he looked great last offseason, but I was never sold on him because I watched nearly every game he played in his stint with the Warriors and for the most part I was thoroughly unimpressed. That and also the fact that he is lacking mental toughness, he doesn't have that will to win, and he has butter hands.

i think cuban is one of the few guys that would be very interested in artest...especially at the right price....but thats just it....i dont think these types of deals are gonna get much better, given all that has happened...

That's what I've been thinking. I just hope he's stupid enough to give up some of his young talent.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    That's what I've been thinking. I just hope he's stupid enough to give up some of his young talent.
    all the reasons i think he would be interested in artest are all the reasons i think he wont give up his young talent....

but i definitely could see cuban wanting artest....but hes a good businessman...he knows if the pacers will part with him its because they want and need to....so he knows he wont have to pay....

as someone else said...the pacers are damned if they do and damned if they dont....and really dont have any real negotiating power....their hand is pretty much dealt and played....

give him away....or its all about the long haul....the pacers best chance at getting anything real for artest is him having the kind of year he will probably have and then trade him next offseason....anything else will be bad...just bad

the pacers best chance at getting anything real for artest is him having the kind of year he will probably have and then trade him next offseason....anything else will be bad...just bad
    I agree, but then at that point who would we want?

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    We're not winning anything in either scenario..........

Killjoy.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    We're not winning anything in either scenario..........
    oh i agree...though there appears to be a faction that would tell u its addition by subtraction....

that by removing a top 5 overall talent, DPOY, and 3rd team all nba at the age of 24.....u then would be better...knowing that it is highly unlikely to get anything remotely equal in return for a wide range of reasons....intriquing concept

Quote Originally Posted by gniknave
    I agree, but then at that point who would we want?
    I think there are a ton of feasible deals we could make, but it all would depend on the rapport we have with the trading organization.

Frex, Nesterovic and Artest, both make the same amount of money and have the same amount of time left on their contracts. Nesterovic is in the top 20 in offensive rebounding and blocks.

I think Cory Magguette has a 4 year contract and comparable pay, if we're looking for a scorer. He's 13th in the league in points per game.

Then I think you have to look at a team like Charlotte. They've got a bunch of guys on short term contracts, so you could easily swing a 2 for 1, or a 3 for 1 with them and since they have two first round picks in the draft, they might be a smart move on their part to give Emeka some stability. You could stock up with a Ron for Gerald Wallace/Melvin Ely/??? trade?

Or more omportantly, and better yet, Ron and a couple of guys along with one of their draft picks. (They've got he fifth and the thirteenth picks)

Ya know, for the longest time, I've been maintaining that I want Ron to stay, but I'm starting to change my mind about it.

I don't know if anyone remembers, but last year I said that Dampier was going to be a contract year flash in the pan. I think in general, he has been. I think if you're going to look at Dallas, the place to look is some kind of combo deal with a younger guy & an older guy for Ron, like Bradley (for situational shotblocking) and Marquis Daniels for Ron. I dunno. I'm just talking off the top of my head.

I DO know, I do not want Dampier here in any shape or fashion. What's sad is Erick, judging by his comments this year, has started to believe his agent's hype from last year, even though he hasn't lived up to the hype.

foretaz

cuban might, never can tell trade van horn for artest and croshere....van horn s contract will expire this upcoming year...so he might be a bit relunctant to do that....but u never can tell....

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech
    Ya know, for the longest time, I've been maintaining that I want Ron to stay, but I'm starting to change my mind about it.
    And why is that, if you don't mind me asking.