Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is PG the best pacer ever

Default Re: Is PG the best pacer ever

Bottom line for me is Reggie never felt like a rental player. That California kid became a Hoosier during his time here and felt like one of us and to me Paul never did. I'm not trying to argue as all players are temporary really. I know folks who didn't give two hoots about professional basketball but they sure tuned in when Reggie represented Indiana against evil New York in those days.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bottom line for me is Reggie never felt like a rental player.
    Well, except for that one time he was seriously looking at moving to the Knicks. There was much bad-mouthing and for a long time just considering it made him persona non grata to many.
    BillS

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
    Or throw in a first-round pick and flip it for a max-level point guard...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Well, except for that one time he was seriously looking at moving to the Knicks. There was much bad-mouthing and for a long time just considering it made him persona non grata to many.
    If if's and buts were candy and nuts, it would be a Merry Christmas......

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    If if's and buts were candy and nuts, it would be a Merry Christmas......
    Just saying that things like Reggie was "never" seen as anything but loyal to the franchise are not particularly true.
    BillS

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
    Or throw in a first-round pick and flip it for a max-level point guard...

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Just saying that things like Reggie was "never" seen as anything but loyal to the franchise are not particularly true.
    Of course that's just my opinion and obviously the only one that counts.

Now if you want to discuss if Reggie should be put up on a pedestal then we can have a different discussion. Remember the Noblesville Boys Club request? Yeah, Reggie wasn't perfect.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    eh, peak JO was like 18 months. I could see the argument about him being most talented if you just take like single day peak of his powers but it was so short lived.
    JO's peak lasted about as long as Paul has been at his peak in Indiana. JO, like Granger, would have peaked longer if it wasn't for injuries.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    Yes, for now. Because he's leaving so for now until a new player unseats him.... he's the best.
    Don't you ever disrespect Rik Smits like that again.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ratking For This Useful Post:

This is a tough one to me to say who is. PG is not though. My heart wants to say Reggie. But just like all the other top players since I started watch the Pacers in the mid-80s, Reggie wasn't a leader nor did he want to be so I somewhat give him a pass. So I will go with Reggie.

But in my time, I think JO had the biggest impact on the Pacers. But wasn't the the leader that he thought he was but I think he tried a lot harder than PG but just wasn't good at it.
    PG maybe the most gifted Pacer of all time but just wasn't the total package. He claimed to want to be a leader and this was his team but didn't even try to lead nor was any good at it. It is one thing to be the best player on the team (ie Reggie) than be a leader of the team (ie Mark Jackson). These guys that are the best player on the team that want to be leaders but can't hurt their credibility (ie JO and PG).
    The only player I can think of that was the best player and also a leader was Granger. But IMO, although a good player he wasn't great and I don't think he became a great leader until he was broken down.

I think this question could be interpreted two ways:

1) Best as in most talented, easily Paul George.

2) Best as in 'Best Pacer', it's easily Reggie Miller. That would be like saying Alex Rodriguez was a 'better Yankee' to Derek Jeter. Yeah maybe, talent wise and athletically, but not in his complete body of work and what he meant to the franchise.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    I think this question could be interpreted two ways:

1) Best as in most talented, easily Paul George.

2) Best as in 'Best Pacer', it's easily Reggie Miller. That would be like saying Alex Rodriguez was a 'better Yankee' to Derek Jeter. Yeah maybe, talent wise and athletically, but not in his complete body of work and what he meant to the franchise.
    This is how I feel.

If Paul and Reggie were in the draft at the same time, every team would pick Paul over Reggie and not think twice about it. But if the question is whom did more in a Pacer's uniform, easily Reggie.

I picked Big Mac because I was thinking of who had the most talent. Big Mac to me was better at his best than any other pacer at their best. Plus the pacers won 2 aba titles while he was here. I agree that Reggie was the greatest over his career.
    Good is the enemy of Great

We're changing the identity of our basketball team -- dramatically. We're a power post team -- a blood-and-guts, old-school, smash-mouth team that plays with size, strength, speed and athleticism. We attack the basket. . . . This is the new identity of our team. It was a great effort. I'm very proud of our guys."
    -- Frank Vogel.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Dece View Post
    I think JO finished highest in MVP standings of any Pacer in the NBA, right?
    This is how I feel. Big Mac was great from what I've heard but I'm not old enough to have seen him play.

Reggie's ability to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat and the way he was a true team player sets him above everyone else. JO is my second favorite because he played with heart and if not for injuries and the brawl had the potential to be the greatest ever. He's still the team leader in blocks and rebounds.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

I agree he is probably the most talented NBA player but as others have said I think Reggie and JO had better careers as pacers.

Imagine a player with PG's skill and a young Chuck Person's attitude.

I'd argue Paul George was at a higher "Tier" for a longer time than anyone in the NBA era (can't speak to the ABA Pacers). O'Neal was an MVP candidate for a cup of coffee but I don't know that I've seen a player in a Pacers uniform do what Paul George did say, in the Toronto Raptors series. Miller had incredible shooting moments but I've never seen a Pacer wreck the other team's all star defensively while also bearing the offensive load over the course of a 7 game series. We can talk about accomplishments and accumulated stats but if I'm going to take one player to start a team with out of the Pacers entire NBA history I'm going to start with Paul George.

Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Paul might have had the most talent of all the Pacers, but he was not the best player. Once the core group of players (Hibbert, Granger, West, Hill) broke up, Paul did not have enough playoff success for my liking. I really believe that we were better vs the 2016 Raptors in the playoffs. I know Toronto was the #2 seed, but I just didn't think they were that good of a team. Even though Paul George played incredibly well, I just feel that if Paul George really was a true superstar player, he finds a way to win that series. Still makes a lot of bad passes. Turns the ball over kind of a lot.

I'm only qualified to discuss the Pacers from 1990 through today. During my time, the best player has to be Reggie Miller. He wasn't the best athlete, but his style of play was effective. Fundamentals were on point. Reggie was an outstanding finisher around the rim, even though he barely dunked. Really cared about winning, and it rubbed off on his teammates. Brought certain intangibles that Paul is lacking. Don't pay any attention to the few All Star selections. Reggie played in a small market, and did not get much coverage nationally. Reggie was frequently snubbed for inferior and more heavily promoted players. It took Reggie blowing up in the ECF in 1994 for Reggie to become a household name and get his push
    Being unable to close out a game in which you have a comfortable lead in the 4th Q = Pulling a Frank Vogel

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post: