Thread: Tinsley was outstanding, clearly the star of the game

Default Tinsley was outstanding, clearly the star of the game

This may have been Tinsley's best game as a Pacer. I now aboiut his gaudy stats in the first month of his rookie year which included a 23 assist game and a tripple double game.

But tonight it looked like Tinsley was the only Pacer who had any energy to speak of. And yes Tinsley had some trouble with Strickland and Tinsley missed a few threes, but Tinsley hit a big three to start the OT.

But that is not what impressed me.

I was most impressed by how smart Tinsley played tonight. He constantly and consistantly created ofense for his teammates, he was able to get into the lane and he was causing the Raptors trouble with his penetration.

Tinsey also had 5 steals which was nice but I can't get over how much Tinsley has improved at running the Pacers offense in the halfcourt, he has always been been great in the open court on the fastbreak, but I thinbk he has learned what a point guard with his skills is supposed to do in the halfcourt.

Well I better stop or Ragnar will think someone has stolen my moniker

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Tinsley was outstanding, clearly the star of the game

Hey UB! Pass that plate of crow cause I'm havin' another helpin'.

Thing that impressed me about TIns (and it has always been my major gripe against him)...leading the fast break he dished off to Reggie for a lay-up...BAM! Knock me upaside o' my head...Where's the streetball flip back over the shoulder? Or the wrap around bullet out of bounds...or.. or....

Great play...he made tthe easy 2 hand chest pass to a streaking trailer and got 2 pts and an Assist for himself.
    I said he'd always be a streetballer and wouldn't learn...he's learned.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I was even more impressed with the sixteen footer he stepped into and drilled in the OT.

You know what he looked like on that play - a basketball assassin.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

I was even more impressed with the sixteen footer he stepped into and drilled in the OT.

A wise man once told me, it takes some time for a good PG to develop. Longer than any other position.

A wise man once told me, it takes some time for a good PG to develop. Longer than any other position.
    Center or point guard. It's hard to learn either one. I think it sometimes takes centers a little longer just simply because sometimes it takes time for their body's to catch up to their abilities.

But P.G. is a hard spot as well.

I never had a problem with Jamaal. I just let U.B. convince me that he would never fit in Carlisle system. I couldn't have been more wrong. But then again I think a lot of the credit for that also should go to Rick. Jamaal is nothing like Billips & Carlisle still gets the best out of Jamaal.

On the other hand I was about ready to choke Anthony Johnson during the early part of the 4th quarter. I don't know how many times, I think like 3 in a row, he didn't switch on the double team high off the post & forced Croshere to get stuck between Rod Strickland & Donyell Marshall. Leaving Austin running to try & stick a hand in Marshall's face as he drained three's.

Remember I like A.J., but damn that was some bad defense he put on Strickland. Rod just abused him all night long.

Jamaal was great though, stepped up & hit that three to open the O.T. & I knew right there & then that he broke their backs.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Forgive me Father for I have sinned. As one of Tins harshest critics I am now on his bandwagon. I see so much more from him culminating in last nights game. Leadership, active, working hard and seemingly enjoying himself. Nice job Jamaal.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

I hate to sing a sour note, but Jamaal had a really tough time with the ageing Rod Strickland. Rod Strickland was controlling the game and had he not been taken out late in the fourth quarter, inexplicably, the outcome might have been different.

Yes, offensively, Jamaal was very good. And his defense has definitely improved. But I fear in the playoffs we will still have significant problems with point guards breaking our defense down.

Don't misunderstand what I am saying: I am delighted with Jamaal's progress this year. But I still wonder if we're good enough at point defensively to compete against the big boys.

We'll soon enough get our answer.

diego

I hate to sing a sour note, but Jamaal had a really tough time with the ageing Rod Strickland. Rod Strickland was controlling the game and had he not been taken out late in the fourth quarter, inexplicably, the outcome might have been different.

Yes, offensively, Jamaal was very good. And his defense has definitely improved. But I fear in the playoffs we will still have significant problems with point guards breaking our defense down.

Don't misunderstand what I am saying: I am delighted with Jamaal's progress this year. But I still wonder if we're good enough at point defensively to compete against the big boys.

We'll soon enough get our answer.

I somewhat disagree with this. Strickland had a great game but a lot of his assists were because the Raptors were making ridiculous shots. Carter hit every junk shot he threw up in first half, along with the rest of team hitting over 50% of shots for a team that is one of the worst in all offensive categories. So yes Strick had a good game, but nothing Tinsley good have done better to keep everyone else from making shots they never make.

Sports Logo

Well I better stop or Ragnar will think someone has stolen my moniker
    Or someone will think I took it.

I know a lot of people write off Strick because he is older and has been with a lot of teams. I was about the only one who wanted him to be our backup pg when he was a free agent this summer and then when he left Orlando I was ready to cut AJ and Kenny to pick him up.

The bottom line is that Strick is a savy veteran. Yes he is no longer young but that means he has a lot of experience and knows how to play the game. He clearly got up for playing against another "true" pg.

I do not understand why he was taken out other than to rest because he ate up AJ. I also dont understand why he is not the starter, but most of the time he was eating us up was with AJ not Tins in the game. We were down then he put Tins back in and we tied it up. Had we been a little better on free throws it would not have gone to overtime.

His shot to open the overtime seemed to give the Pacers new live and we rolled from there. It was a lot of fun to watch.

I somewhat disagree with this. Strickland had a great game but a lot of his assists were because the Raptors were making ridiculous shots. Carter hit every junk shot he threw up in first half, along with the rest of team hitting over 50% of shots for a team that is one of the worst in all offensive categories. So yes Strick had a good game, but nothing Tinsley good have done better to keep everyone else from making shots they never make.
    Sorry, but I have "end zone" seats and it was clear Jamaal was getting beat off the dribble regularly by Strick in the fourth quarter. Jamaal is defending better than ever, but he is not where he needs to be yet.

If Rod Strickland had better work habbits and a better attitude throuighout his whole career he not only would have been one the best point gaurds of all time, but he would have been one of the best players in the league 6, 7, 8 years ago.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Not sure who you're calling a wise man, but this got me to thinking...

When Jamaal was a rook, The Idiot said that it would take him three seasons to learn to be a half-court PG, because that's about how long it takes great semi-pro (college) PGs to really learn to be good NBA PGs. Even though he was horrible at coaching The Idiot *is* a smart guy on this type of stuff.

Looking back at most of the above-average to great PGs in NBA history indicates that timeframe is about right. Not counting Iverson, who was a special talent, the last two PGs to win ROY were Damon Stoudamire and Mark Jackson. Payton? No. Kidd? No. Since Jax and Tinsley have a lot of similarities, its worth pointing out that Jax won ROY because in Pittino's system his quickness allowed him to be a great at a trapping-style defense and he was excellent at getting out and running the break. Yes, I'm referring to the same slow Jax that we all know and some of us love. But Jax lost the Knicks starting PG position a couple years later - to Rod Stickland of all players - in part because his post-Pittino adjustment to a half-court style was taking a long time (and in part because Rod Strickland was beginning his legacy of stabbing teammates and coaches in the back.)

For Jamaal, it was immediately clear he was great in the open court, but the 23 assist game the triple-doubles he had as a rook were from pushing the team. Remember that Jalen was still on that team and Jermaine was twenty pounds lighter than he is today so that team was made to run anyway.

Of course, after two years of being "coached" by one of the greatest PGs to ever play the game, I was convinced that poor Jamaal was now four or five years away from becoming a good half-court PG.

What I don't know is whether The Idiot did just did an oustanding job of hiding his half-court talents or if this is just another example of Carlisle making the previous regime look bad.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

The *Idiot* did not hide jamaal's half-court abilities, he just did not cover up the streetballa in tins. Whether Rick has changed the way tins plays or if it is simply because he matured, we may never know.

One thing is for sure though, without tins, I don't think any of us would beleive our record would be this good.

One thing is for sure though, without tins, I don't think any of us would beleive our record would be this good.
    Truth.

there were some possessions in the second half where Tins got into stricklands jock right up next to the nutsack though.....so you know he can do it... its almost as if he was a little embarassed..., i'm sure the sprained toe isn't helping the lateral movement either.

Rick gets high credit for his zenlike backward psychology with benchin Tins and lightin a fire in him, made him question his pride and he came out as fine tempered steel!

Everyone, I know, is still holding their breath knowing he is bound to go in a 20 game shooting slump.. hope not! The kid already has the handle..

Will it be next year Jamaal gets the reputation as a "clutch" shooter as well as having great court vision?

And when is he a FA anyway? Pacers gotta find a way to make sure he is retained, he is most likely gonna want at least what JB and AL are making, 5-6mil per year. He is gettin peanuts now (for the nba) and you know he is lookin forward to payday.

If Rod Strickland had better work habbits and a better attitude throuighout his whole career he not only would have been one the best point gaurds of all time, but he would have been one of the best players in the league 6, 7, 8 years ago.
    With all these comments about Strickland, I am choosing to reply to the one I agree with most.

I met Strickland on Monday night in a desserted Circle Center Mall. He was coming out of, of all places, a GNC store with a decent sized purchase. Now first of all, I notice that he's obviously taking care of his body better now than before because of all the stories I heard from Washington about all the hotdogs he would eat before a game and at halftime (would pay ball boys to go out and buy them for him). And yes, I did talk to him. He was actually very, very nice. He was on the escalator behind me and my wife and I turned and said to him, "How do you like Toronto". He looked at me strangely and said, "Are you from Toronto". I said no, that I had watched him play since college (Indiana State vs. Depaul about 17 years ago at ISU). He said Toronto was great (but he'd only been there for a week or so so how great can it be) and I asked him about leaving Orlando and he said he had to get out of there and that he was too old for that stuff (losing). He said he was surprised anyone recognized him and I said that I wished the Pacers would have signed him last year when we had the chance. He was super nice. Didn't ask him for an autograph or anything (I think that's a bit rude) and he said "I hope you two have a wonderful evening". And I said thank you and same to you and wished him luck in Tuesday's game but I did say, "not too much luck, though". Man, seriously, it was really nice to speak with an NBA player that was genuinely friendly. It's a nice change. That's my two cents worth (keep the change). Just a story I though I'd tell.
    Two=the number 2
    Too=means "also"
    To=many definitions-also known as the one to use when the other 2 (two, too) do not apply.

Their=shows ownership-'it is their house'
    They're=they are
    There=many definitions-also known as the one to use when the other 2 (their, they're) do not apply

Sorry but it bugs me when these are used incorrectly when I read posts on PacersDigest.com.

With all these comments about Strickland, I am choosing to reply to the one I agree with most.

I met Strickland on Monday night in a desserted Circle Center Mall. He was coming out of, of all places, a GNC store with a decent sized purchase. Now first of all, I notice that he's obviously taking care of his body better now than before because of all the stories I heard from Washington about all the hotdogs he would eat before a game and at halftime (would pay ball boys to go out and buy them for him). And yes, I did talk to him. He was actually very, very nice. He was on the escalator behind me and my wife and I turned and said to him, "How do you like Toronto". He looked at me strangely and said, "Are you from Toronto". I said no, that I had watched him play since college (Indiana State vs. Depaul about 17 years ago at ISU). He said Toronto was great (but he'd only been there for a week or so so how great can it be) and I asked him about leaving Orlando and he said he had to get out of there and that he was too old for that stuff (losing). He said he was surprised anyone recognized him and I said that I wished the Pacers would have signed him last year when we had the chance. He was super nice. Didn't ask him for an autograph or anything (I think that's a bit rude) and he said "I hope you two have a wonderful evening". And I said thank you and same to you and wished him luck in Tuesday's game but I did say, "not too much luck, though". Man, seriously, it was really nice to speak with an NBA player that was genuinely friendly. It's a nice change. That's my two cents worth (keep the change). Just a story I though I'd tell.

Nice story, I have heard that Strickland has cleaned up his act a little the past few seasons, like many players and many people for that matter, when they reach their 30's they grow up. He has some serious skills and serious talent, too bad he did not mature 5 years earlier, for his sake. But he has had a very, very good career, I always compared Rod to Kenny Anderson over the years.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

And when is he a FA anyway? Pacers gotta find a way to make sure he is retained, he is most likely gonna want at least what JB and AL are making, 5-6mil per year. He is gettin peanuts now (for the nba) and you know he is lookin forward to payday.
    The Pacers excersiced their option on him, so he's here through a minimum of next year. He then becomes a restricted free agent, where the Pacers could match any offer made to him. If he doesn't get any interest as a restricted free agent, then he's here one more year where he becomes an unrestricted free agent after that.
    or, pacers could sign him to an extension as early as next season. given donnie's history, that's what i would expect.