Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: May isn't flashy but he knows game

  1. #1
    Member Isaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    25
    Posts
    3,140

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: May isn't flashy but he knows game

    I don't think he's gonna slip to us. But I have compared him to Elton Brand for a long time now, and I stick to that. Hes going to be a good NBA player IMO.

  2. #2
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    38
    Posts
    8,752

    Default Re: May isn't flashy but he knows game

    Okay, so now that the Indystar has published this article we know one thing for sure ... this is NOT the guy management is going to pick .

    Regards,

    Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

  3. #3
    foretaz
    Guest

    Default Re: May isn't flashy but he knows game

    Quote Originally Posted by IndyPacers67
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think he's gonna slip to us. But I have compared him to Elton Brand for a long time now, and I stick to that. Hes going to be a good NBA player IMO.
    i know people like to compare him to brand....and while i give u there are some similarities in the style of game they play, to me may is a cheap mans version of brand at best....please remember, IMO

    IMHO, may never came close to dominating the college game the way that brand did....may had a good career....and looked very good at times...but as ive said before....may is gonna be the 3 rd maybe even 4th player drafted from his team....

    there was no question regarding who was the best player on a talented duke squad when brand played....not only is there a question with may in this regard, but it is also evident as to what the answer is....

  4. #4
    Member Isaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    25
    Posts
    3,140

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: May isn't flashy but he knows game

    Quote Originally Posted by foretaz
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i know people like to compare him to brand....and while i give u there are some similarities in the style of game they play, to me may is a cheap mans version of brand at best....please remember, IMO

    IMHO, may never came close to dominating the college game the way that brand did....may had a good career....and looked very good at times...but as ive said before....may is gonna be the 3 rd maybe even 4th player drafted from his team....
    I disagree. Did you watch the NCAA tourny? He was clearly the best player on his team during the tournament. He played absolutly fantastic in the Final game, making Illinois look stupid in the process.

  5. #5
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,927

    Default Re: May isn't flashy but he knows game

    May is a much better passer than Brand, but he's never gonna be a rock-hard presence like him, though. I'd love to have him, for no other reason than we'd have somebody who knew how to pass out of the post. But I just can't believe he'll still be there.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  6. #6

    Default Re: May isn't flashy but he knows game

    Defensively, this shouldn't even be a comparison. At all.

    Maybe a comparison might be Zach Randolph, but with less talent. Maybe. The attitude may in fact be spot on.

  7. #7
    Well lubricated Skaut_Ech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,389

    Default Re: May isn't flashy but he knows game

    I honestly don't know why May is so highly regarded. I know I'm in a minority, but I think he is going to be an average NBA player. I think Corliss Williamson or Tractor Traylor when I think of May. His strongest attribute will be that he's a smart guy, but like Olawokandi. I see kind of the same around him as Olowakandi, and I think there's going to eb a measure of the same disappointment from the team who drafts him and thinks he's a much better payer than he actually is. Hopefully, we don't pick him up.

  8. #8
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,716

    Default Re: May isn't flashy but he knows game

    I don't want an all-star to be a backup PF for us. I want a solid player. He doesn't need to be Brand to fit in on this team.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  9. #9
    ImCrazyB
    Guest

    Default Re: May isn't flashy but he knows game

    He's not even in Brands ball-park IMO.

    May was only sucessful in college because he was playing against smaller less athletic front courts. Backup PF at best in the NBA IMO.

  10. #10
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,716

    Default Re: May isn't flashy but he knows game

    Quote Originally Posted by ImCrazyB
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    May was only sucessful in college because he was playing against smaller less athletic front courts.
    Carlos Boozer.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  11. #11
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    38
    Posts
    8,752

    Default Re: May isn't flashy but he knows game

    Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I honestly don't know why May is so highly regarded. I know I'm in a minority, but I think he is going to be an average NBA player. I think Corliss Williamson or Tractor Traylor when I think of May. His strongest attribute will be that he's a smart guy, but like Olawokandi. I see kind of the same around him as Olowakandi, and I think there's going to eb a measure of the same disappointment from the team who drafts him and thinks he's a much better payer than he actually is. Hopefully, we don't pick him up.
    Wow! Kandiman was a top pick by the Clippers, I seriously doubt May, as a back up player, would get even close to beying the dissapointment the Kandiman has been.

    Regards,

    Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    8,887

    Default Re: May isn't flashy but he knows game

    I'd take Simien over May easy. The risk/reward is higher because of the shoulder but Simien has everything May has (bulk, post moves) and some things he doesn't (lift, a reliable mid-range game). That said, May's a very sound pick starting at 15-18. But I don't see his 6-15 prognosis working very well - I'd call him a 15-25 and that'll depend on team needs.

    He could be an NBA starter. He won't give you a lot of scoring but he could rebound and interior defend. He could not be too - depends on how he applies himself.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

  13. #13
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,927

    Default Re: May isn't flashy but he knows game

    Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I honestly don't know why May is so highly regarded. I know I'm in a minority, but I think he is going to be an average NBA player. I think Corliss Williamson or Tractor Traylor when I think of May. His strongest attribute will be that he's a smart guy, but like Olawokandi. I see kind of the same around him as Olowakandi, and I think there's going to eb a measure of the same disappointment from the team who drafts him and thinks he's a much better payer than he actually is. Hopefully, we don't pick him up.
    "Olowakandi" and "smart guy" should never be in the same sentence.

    I think a lot of you don't get where those of us who want May are coming from. None of us are saying he's gonna be a quality starter, let alone an All-Star. But a number of us think he'd make a very fine backup, who would complement JO very well. What else can we expect at 17?
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  14. #14
    foretaz
    Guest

    Default Re: May isn't flashy but he knows game

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "Olowakandi" and "smart guy" should never be in the same sentence.

    I think a lot of you don't get where those of us who want May are coming from. None of us are saying he's gonna be a quality starter, let alone an All-Star. But a number of us think he'd make a very fine backup, who would complement JO very well. What else can we expect at 17?
    in of itself, master, i dont think this stance is far off....however, this is why i do believe why i think its a bad idea....and i wont really get into why i feel like he will be a marginal bench player in the nba, other than to say he might have some good nites and some bad nites if he only faces backups from other teams....the reason i dont think thats a debate because most knowledgeable fans, such as urself, seem to admit hes, at best a serviceable backup to jo...

    what i do think is the real issue is this....anytime you bring a hometown guy into the mix you introduce another dynamic....plus one could probably make the case that sean has a bit of a chip on his shoulder and there is this whole stigma thats out there regarding his IU situation(im not an iu fan-so im unbiased here)-meaning while he seems to be a good kid-the potential for old resentments and feelings to be reborn will always be there....this team has enuff sideshows already....for someone who will be another one waiting to happen-and that someone is a serviceable backup at best-i respectfully submit you take a pass and look for another alternative....

    when we seem to focus so much on chemistry issues with this team, i cant help but think we might want to avoid any potential issues before they come up.....may strikes me as another artest waiting to happen-except hed be the 10th or 12th man at best....whether its hometown fans that would never be able to admit hes not nearly as good as they think, or iu fans that feel scorned and would be looking for a reason to badmouth him and never give any real credit for which he might be due, one thing is for certain.....he comes with baggage, and anything but a clean slate if he plays for the pacers....i think both parties would be much better off, if he goes somewhere else....

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,160

    Default Re: May isn't flashy but he knows game

    Quote Originally Posted by foretaz
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote


    or iu fans that feel scorned and would be looking for a reason to badmouth him
    So, how is Eric Montross doing these days?

  16. #16
    Well lubricated Skaut_Ech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,389

    Default Re: May isn't flashy but he knows game

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "Olowakandi" and "smart guy" should never be in the same sentence.

    I think a lot of you don't get where those of us who want May are coming from. None of us are saying he's gonna be a quality starter, let alone an All-Star. But a number of us think he'd make a very fine backup, who would complement JO very well. What else can we expect at 17?
    I don't want more of the same, that's why I don't want May. We've got Pollard, Austin, Foster, Bender (I know, I know) & Dale, who are are ostensibly doing the same thing for us...backing up Jermaine. Why add another?

    What do I expect at 17? Well, first of all, I want another PG/SG...that's where I see a big need. Guys like Jameer Nelson, (a college senior, a big plus in my book), Delonte West went around the 17th pick last year. Personally I'd like to see someone like those two.

    Barring that, I would love to pick up one guy who I hope falls far enough for us.....Johan Petro. If we're going to get a big man, I think he is the most realistic, and potentially effective one for us. I like the idea of Petro and Harrison as young 7 footers, backed up by Dale and Pollard for veteran stability.

    I kinda punctuated badly. I wasn't saying Kandi was smart. I was saying that's the difference between him and May, in terms of unrealistic expectations. I think May can rise past his limitations through brainpower. Kandi has been in stasis. I think May is going to be solid, but we've got some solid guys to man that position.

  17. #17
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,927

    Default Re: May isn't flashy but he knows game

    Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think May is going to be solid, but we've got some solid guys to man that position.
    My problem is, none of them can score. And, considering I'm the one guy who likes Eddie Gill, I have no problem with our PG position.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  18. #18
    foretaz
    Guest

    Default Re: May isn't flashy but he knows game

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My problem is, none of them can score. And, considering I'm the one guy who likes Eddie Gill, I have no problem with our PG position.


  19. #19
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,927

    Default Re: May isn't flashy but he knows game

    Quote Originally Posted by foretaz
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    :
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  20. #20

    Default Re: May isn't flashy but he knows game

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My problem is, none of them can score. And, considering I'm the one guy who likes Eddie Gill, I have no problem with our PG position.
    What is with you and liking crappy players? First Primoz, now Eddie....Keg, you need to get your priorities straightened out....
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  21. #21
    foretaz
    Guest

    Default Re: May isn't flashy but he knows game

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My problem is, none of them can score. And, considering I'm the one guy who likes Eddie Gill, I have no problem with our PG position.
    i know people are always trying to come up with unique ideas and doing something that noone else has thought of....

    but i really cant see the eddie gill fan club getting off the ground....

    whats the club motto? a greasy pig has a better handle?

  22. #22
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: May isn't flashy but he knows game

    The club motto is, "Better than Siggy, but that ain't sayin' much."
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  23. #23
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: May isn't flashy but he knows game

    With my luck, the David Stern will announce the Pacers selecting May at #17. Then we'll find out early in the second round that he's been traded.

    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  24. #24
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,927

    Default Re: May isn't flashy but he knows game

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The club motto is, "Better than Siggy, but that ain't sayin' much."
    After three years of Siggy, I'll take what I can get. However, Siggy is far and away the best IR player ever. Just don't ever let him play.

    Eddie's perfectly fine as a 3rd point. Not his fault that Tinsley and AJ kept getting hurt.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  25. #25
    Member SycamoreKen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Age
    44
    Posts
    9,671

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: May isn't flashy but he knows game

    Quote Originally Posted by foretaz
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    when we seem to focus so much on chemistry issues with this team, i cant help but think we might want to avoid any potential issues before they come up.....may strikes me as another artest waiting to happen-except hed be the 10th or 12th man at best....whether its hometown fans that would never be able to admit hes not nearly as good as they think, or iu fans that feel scorned and would be looking for a reason to badmouth him and never give any real credit for which he might be due, one thing is for certain.....he comes with baggage, and anything but a clean slate if he plays for the pacers....i think both parties would be much better off, if he goes somewhere else....
    Wait a second. It's o.k. to give a guy that has yet to prove he can control himself for extended period of time a 5th chance, but not to give a young guy that is a proven winner the same thing? I would be thrilled to have May on the team. He may not be an all-star, but he would work hard and do what is asked.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •