Thread: Quote from Ron in Slam Magazine

Default Quote from Ron in Slam Magazine

This little quote from Ron Artest from Slam magazine was in a Detroit sports column this morning.

•Ron Artest, quoted in Slam Magazine on coming back to the Pacers: "I'm not sold on individual goals anymore. If I tried, I could average a triple-double. But next year, I'm not looking to be the star. I'm looking to fit in. I fit in with that team, we're winning the championship."
    I got this from Pacerfan over at Real GM. I love this coming from Ron.

Default Re: Quote from Ron in Slam Magazine

Like I said I never pay attention to what Ron says.

Good to know. I was worried Ron was going to try to come out and prove himself.
    Sorry, I didn't know advertising was illegal here. Someone call the cops!

I'm with UB on this, when Ron is moving his mouth I don't put much into what is coming out of it. That would be great of course, but we'll see.

Harmonica

There was a part of the quote left out:

"I'm looking to fit in. I fit in with that team, we're winning the championship if I don't have a new CD coming out."

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

"I'm looking to fit in. I fit in with that team, we're winning the championship if I don't have a new CD coming out."
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica

Come on now. It just came out the wrong way.....

http://prometheus.able-towers.com/~magicrat/rontimeoff.wmv

"What does integrity mean?"
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Nice to hear, but too many players on this team like to talk and then fail to back it up.

We shall see...

The old Ron would have just said

"I think I need to be the number 1 option on this team, If you look at the stats I'm the best player on this team, just give me the ball"

Jerm has a point, this is better than last off-season when he said he was the best on the team.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by able
    Hmm, I can't seem to find the icon for humorless twit.

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    Jerm has a point, this is better than last off-season when he said he was the best on the team.
    Looking back on this season, isn't he the best on the team? We sure did miss him. Our rebounding suffered, our defense suffered, and our scoring became stagnant with Jermaine as the focal point of our team. I think he is clearly better than Jermaine. What's wrong with a player having confidence in himself? Every player should be saying they think they're the best on the team.
    Sorry, I didn't know advertising was illegal here. Someone call the cops!

foretaz

some are preconceived to the notion that some problems simply cant get better or fixed.....which is a very closeminded, irrational response with total disregard to the obvious....

someone who has an impulse reaction problem is very fixable....inherantly he responds, just inappropriately....the point is he responds....and when having a brush with the death penalty as well as much work being done on dealing with the real causes of his inappropriate responses it only stands to reason-HE WILL RESPOND....is he cured?....doubtful...will he be much improved? quite likely....does he show the proper attitude regarding his past and willingness to do what it takes to get better? it certainly seems so....and when one considers, ron the person, it doesnt seem quite the stretch many would have u to believe....

Quote Originally Posted by TruWarier
    Looking back on this season, isn't he the best on the team? We sure did miss him. Our rebounding suffered, our defense suffered, and our scoring became stagnant with Jermaine as the focal point of our team. I think he is clearly better than Jermaine. What's wrong with a player having confidence in himself? Every player should be saying they think they're the best on the team.
    I'm not sure how you can determine this when looking back on last season. Ron played 7 games.

Quote Originally Posted by foretaz
    some are preconceived to the notion that some problems simply cant get better or fixed.....which is a very closeminded, irrational response with total disregard to the obvious....

someone who has an impulse reaction problem is very fixable....inherantly he responds, just inappropriately....the point is he responds....and when having a brush with the death penalty as well as much work being done on dealing with the real causes of his inappropriate responses it only stands to reason-HE WILL RESPOND....is he cured?....doubtful...will he be much improved? quite likely....does he show the proper attitude regarding his past and willingness to do what it takes to get better? it certainly seems so....and when one considers, ron the person, it doesnt seem quite the stretch many would have u to believe....
    That was the most confusing post I have read in a long time. What is your point, and why was it posted as an response to my post?

Quote Originally Posted by foretaz

Some may be.

Some may have just heard the same song and dance from Artest before.

Some may have even believed it until Artest destroyed the Pacers' season.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

foretaz

That was the most confusing post I have read in a long time. What is your point, and why was it posted as an response to my post?
    it was meant as further validation to ur post...not to contradict it....

the point, to summarize, was there are those that really dont care what ron does...in their minds, because their minds are closed, he cant and wont change.....

so they say things like this is the same ole song and dance....

and that ron ruined last season....

which both are very telling....in some ways these that say that are worse off than ron....

rons past the denial stage....while it would appear some others are not...

I think the point that the nay-sayers are trying to make is that talk is just that; TALK.

It would seem obvious that the talk coming out of his mouth probably isn't as much his talk as it is his "life management company" telling him what to say.

All talk is cheap until it is backed up. We've been through too many unprecedented-level meltdowns to NOT be skeptical. It is encouraging to at least hear the right stuff being spoken, but I have no reason to believe any of it from anyone until I see what happens to the team dynamic this fall.....

Not everything needs psychoanalysis......

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by heywoode
    I think the point that the nay-sayers are trying to make is that talk is just that; TALK.

It would seem obvious that the talk coming out of his mouth probably isn't as much his talk as it is his "life management company" telling him what to say.

All talk is cheap until it is backed up. We've been through too many unprecedented-level meltdowns to NOT be skeptical. It is encouraging to at least hear the right stuff being spoken, but I have no reason to believe any of it from anyone until I see what happens to the team dynamic this fall.....

Not everything needs psychoanalysis......

u know what?? i wholeheartedly agree with u....

the only thing i find interesting is this....these so called naysayers will often use the things ron says as evidence to further their case....if u r going to do that i find it a bit hypocritical to then discount what he says when it contradicts that same case....you cant have it both ways....

and no matter how u might like it...and no matter where some of the wording might come from....and i might even hesitate to say , whatever the motivation might be....one thing definitely should be of note....

it appears, that maybe, just maybe he realizes that one, what he said in last years article might have been inappropriate, ....two, he cares enuff to at least try and not make that same mistake again...

in any event, its not a huge stretch to say it might be some form of progress....u might find the fact that a life management company is involved takes away from the impact, however to do so would almost be to deny that he doesnt need the help....and i cant imagine anyone saying or feeling that...

I agree that people can't have it both ways. I don't see his consulting company's involvement as a negative, or use anything else he says against him....I'm willing to live with the quirky Ron. I'm willing to live with a Ron Artest that makes me cringe as soon as they stick a microphone under his nose, even before he speaks. There are a ton of guys in the league who aren't good interviews and who say things we don't expect to hear on TV.

I also don't deny he needs the help, but I still feel like words are words until we see some progress in situations that Ron can't control, or when there is pressure...blah blah blah...this is such a tired subject....

I'm not sure he's made a ton of progress. I still didn't like his I statement about averaging a triple-double. Only happened once in history, and that was a totally different level of basketball than is played now. Still a little conceit there, and not necessarily wanting the focus entirely off of himself....

It is a step in the right direction, but he has to go from NY-to-LA and he's baby stepping so slowly right now, he hasn't left Queens yet.....

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by heywoode
    I agree that people can't have it both ways. I don't see his consulting company's involvement as a negative, or use anything else he says against him....I'm willing to live with the quirky Ron. I'm willing to live with a Ron Artest that makes me cringe as soon as they stick a microphone under his nose, even before he speaks. There are a ton of guys in the league who aren't good interviews and who say things we don't expect to hear on TV.

I also don't deny he needs the help, but I still feel like words are words until we see some progress in situations that Ron can't control, or when there is pressure...blah blah blah...this is such a tired subject....

I'm not sure he's made a ton of progress. I still didn't like his I statement about averaging a triple-double. Only happened once in history, and that was a totally different level of basketball than is played now. Still a little conceit there, and not necessarily wanting the focus entirely off of himself....

It is a step in the right direction, but he has to go from NY-to-LA and he's baby stepping so slowly right now, he hasn't left Queens yet.....
    lol...agreed...again...and if nothing else, im glad hes in queens versus lost in the atlantic ocean somewhere....

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

All go with what Austin said, put up or shut up. It's time to prove it on the floor.