Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Quote from Ron in Slam Magazine

  1. #1
    Banned Jermaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Your baby moms house
    Age
    26
    Posts
    11,717

    Default Quote from Ron in Slam Magazine

    This little quote from Ron Artest from Slam magazine was in a Detroit sports column this morning.

    •Ron Artest, quoted in Slam Magazine on coming back to the Pacers: "I'm not sold on individual goals anymore. If I tried, I could average a triple-double. But next year, I'm not looking to be the star. I'm looking to fit in. I fit in with that team, we're winning the championship."
    I got this from Pacerfan over at Real GM. I love this coming from Ron.

  2. #2
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,820

    Default Re: Quote from Ron in Slam Magazine

    Like I said I never pay attention to what Ron says.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Quote from Ron in Slam Magazine

    Good to know. I was worried Ron was going to try to come out and prove himself.
    Sorry, I didn't know advertising was illegal here. Someone call the cops!

  4. #4

    Default Re: Quote from Ron in Slam Magazine

    I'm with UB on this, when Ron is moving his mouth I don't put much into what is coming out of it. That would be great of course, but we'll see.

  5. #5
    Harmonica
    Guest

    Default Re: Quote from Ron in Slam Magazine

    There was a part of the quote left out:

    "I'm looking to fit in. I fit in with that team, we're winning the championship if I don't have a new CD coming out."

  6. #6
    Grumpy Old Man (PD host) able's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    8,701

    Default Re: Quote from Ron in Slam Magazine

    Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There was a part of the quote left out:

    "I'm looking to fit in. I fit in with that team, we're winning the championship if I don't have a new CD coming out."
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

    If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!


  7. #7
    ENABEABLER MagicRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,837

    Default Re: Quote from Ron in Slam Magazine

    Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There was a part of the quote left out:

    "I'm looking to fit in. I fit in with that team, we're winning the championship if I don't have a new CD coming out."
    Come on now. It just came out the wrong way.....

    http://prometheus.able-towers.com/~magicrat/rontimeoff.wmv

    "What does integrity mean?"
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

  8. #8
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,398

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Quote from Ron in Slam Magazine

    Nice to hear, but too many players on this team like to talk and then fail to back it up.

    We shall see...

  9. #9
    Banned Jermaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Your baby moms house
    Age
    26
    Posts
    11,717

    Default Re: Quote from Ron in Slam Magazine

    The old Ron would have just said

    "I think I need to be the number 1 option on this team, If you look at the stats I'm the best player on this team, just give me the ball"

  10. #10
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: Quote from Ron in Slam Magazine

    Jerm has a point, this is better than last off-season when he said he was the best on the team.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  11. #11
    Harmonica
    Guest

    Default Re: Quote from Ron in Slam Magazine

    Quote Originally Posted by able
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hmm, I can't seem to find the icon for humorless twit.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Quote from Ron in Slam Magazine

    Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Jerm has a point, this is better than last off-season when he said he was the best on the team.
    Looking back on this season, isn't he the best on the team? We sure did miss him. Our rebounding suffered, our defense suffered, and our scoring became stagnant with Jermaine as the focal point of our team. I think he is clearly better than Jermaine. What's wrong with a player having confidence in himself? Every player should be saying they think they're the best on the team.
    Sorry, I didn't know advertising was illegal here. Someone call the cops!

  13. #13
    foretaz
    Guest

    Default Re: Quote from Ron in Slam Magazine

    Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Jerm has a point, this is better than last off-season when he said he was the best on the team.
    some are preconceived to the notion that some problems simply cant get better or fixed.....which is a very closeminded, irrational response with total disregard to the obvious....

    someone who has an impulse reaction problem is very fixable....inherantly he responds, just inappropriately....the point is he responds....and when having a brush with the death penalty as well as much work being done on dealing with the real causes of his inappropriate responses it only stands to reason-HE WILL RESPOND....is he cured?....doubtful...will he be much improved? quite likely....does he show the proper attitude regarding his past and willingness to do what it takes to get better? it certainly seems so....and when one considers, ron the person, it doesnt seem quite the stretch many would have u to believe....

  14. #14
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: Quote from Ron in Slam Magazine

    Quote Originally Posted by TruWarier
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Looking back on this season, isn't he the best on the team? We sure did miss him. Our rebounding suffered, our defense suffered, and our scoring became stagnant with Jermaine as the focal point of our team. I think he is clearly better than Jermaine. What's wrong with a player having confidence in himself? Every player should be saying they think they're the best on the team.
    I'm not sure how you can determine this when looking back on last season. Ron played 7 games.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  15. #15
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: Quote from Ron in Slam Magazine

    Quote Originally Posted by foretaz
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    some are preconceived to the notion that some problems simply cant get better or fixed.....which is a very closeminded, irrational response with total disregard to the obvious....

    someone who has an impulse reaction problem is very fixable....inherantly he responds, just inappropriately....the point is he responds....and when having a brush with the death penalty as well as much work being done on dealing with the real causes of his inappropriate responses it only stands to reason-HE WILL RESPOND....is he cured?....doubtful...will he be much improved? quite likely....does he show the proper attitude regarding his past and willingness to do what it takes to get better? it certainly seems so....and when one considers, ron the person, it doesnt seem quite the stretch many would have u to believe....
    That was the most confusing post I have read in a long time. What is your point, and why was it posted as an response to my post?
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    9,136

    Default Re: Quote from Ron in Slam Magazine

    Quote Originally Posted by foretaz
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    some are preconceived to the notion that some problems simply cant get better or fixed.....which is a very closeminded, irrational response with total disregard to the obvious....

    Some may be.

    Some may have just heard the same song and dance from Artest before.

    Some may have even believed it until Artest destroyed the Pacers' season.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

  17. #17
    foretaz
    Guest

    Default Re: Quote from Ron in Slam Magazine

    Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That was the most confusing post I have read in a long time. What is your point, and why was it posted as an response to my post?
    it was meant as further validation to ur post...not to contradict it....

    the point, to summarize, was there are those that really dont care what ron does...in their minds, because their minds are closed, he cant and wont change.....

    so they say things like this is the same ole song and dance....

    and that ron ruined last season....

    which both are very telling....in some ways these that say that are worse off than ron....

    rons past the denial stage....while it would appear some others are not...

  18. #18
    Huge Member heywoode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    46
    Posts
    6,334

    Default Re: Quote from Ron in Slam Magazine

    I think the point that the nay-sayers are trying to make is that talk is just that; TALK.

    It would seem obvious that the talk coming out of his mouth probably isn't as much his talk as it is his "life management company" telling him what to say.

    All talk is cheap until it is backed up. We've been through too many unprecedented-level meltdowns to NOT be skeptical. It is encouraging to at least hear the right stuff being spoken, but I have no reason to believe any of it from anyone until I see what happens to the team dynamic this fall.....

    Not everything needs psychoanalysis......

  19. #19
    foretaz
    Guest

    Default Re: Quote from Ron in Slam Magazine

    Quote Originally Posted by heywoode
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think the point that the nay-sayers are trying to make is that talk is just that; TALK.

    It would seem obvious that the talk coming out of his mouth probably isn't as much his talk as it is his "life management company" telling him what to say.

    All talk is cheap until it is backed up. We've been through too many unprecedented-level meltdowns to NOT be skeptical. It is encouraging to at least hear the right stuff being spoken, but I have no reason to believe any of it from anyone until I see what happens to the team dynamic this fall.....

    Not everything needs psychoanalysis......

    u know what?? i wholeheartedly agree with u....

    the only thing i find interesting is this....these so called naysayers will often use the things ron says as evidence to further their case....if u r going to do that i find it a bit hypocritical to then discount what he says when it contradicts that same case....you cant have it both ways....

    and no matter how u might like it...and no matter where some of the wording might come from....and i might even hesitate to say , whatever the motivation might be....one thing definitely should be of note....

    it appears, that maybe, just maybe he realizes that one, what he said in last years article might have been inappropriate, ....two, he cares enuff to at least try and not make that same mistake again...

    in any event, its not a huge stretch to say it might be some form of progress....u might find the fact that a life management company is involved takes away from the impact, however to do so would almost be to deny that he doesnt need the help....and i cant imagine anyone saying or feeling that...

  20. #20
    Huge Member heywoode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    46
    Posts
    6,334

    Default Re: Quote from Ron in Slam Magazine

    I agree that people can't have it both ways. I don't see his consulting company's involvement as a negative, or use anything else he says against him....I'm willing to live with the quirky Ron. I'm willing to live with a Ron Artest that makes me cringe as soon as they stick a microphone under his nose, even before he speaks. There are a ton of guys in the league who aren't good interviews and who say things we don't expect to hear on TV.

    I also don't deny he needs the help, but I still feel like words are words until we see some progress in situations that Ron can't control, or when there is pressure...blah blah blah...this is such a tired subject....

    I'm not sure he's made a ton of progress. I still didn't like his I statement about averaging a triple-double. Only happened once in history, and that was a totally different level of basketball than is played now. Still a little conceit there, and not necessarily wanting the focus entirely off of himself....

    It is a step in the right direction, but he has to go from NY-to-LA and he's baby stepping so slowly right now, he hasn't left Queens yet.....

  21. #21
    foretaz
    Guest

    Default Re: Quote from Ron in Slam Magazine

    Quote Originally Posted by heywoode
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree that people can't have it both ways. I don't see his consulting company's involvement as a negative, or use anything else he says against him....I'm willing to live with the quirky Ron. I'm willing to live with a Ron Artest that makes me cringe as soon as they stick a microphone under his nose, even before he speaks. There are a ton of guys in the league who aren't good interviews and who say things we don't expect to hear on TV.

    I also don't deny he needs the help, but I still feel like words are words until we see some progress in situations that Ron can't control, or when there is pressure...blah blah blah...this is such a tired subject....

    I'm not sure he's made a ton of progress. I still didn't like his I statement about averaging a triple-double. Only happened once in history, and that was a totally different level of basketball than is played now. Still a little conceit there, and not necessarily wanting the focus entirely off of himself....

    It is a step in the right direction, but he has to go from NY-to-LA and he's baby stepping so slowly right now, he hasn't left Queens yet.....
    lol...agreed...again...and if nothing else, im glad hes in queens versus lost in the atlantic ocean somewhere....

  22. #22
    Member SycamoreKen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Age
    44
    Posts
    10,475

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Quote from Ron in Slam Magazine

    All go with what Austin said, put up or shut up. It's time to prove it on the floor.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •