Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Lance the Pacers starting point guard next year?

Default Re: Lance the Pacers starting point guard next year?

I am all for Lance being the pg the next few years. He'll race Westbrook for the most triple doubles lol

Sports Logo

YEAR OF THE LANCE

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I wonder how many people 2 years ago would have guessed that Lance Stephenson would be the starting PG for the Indiana Pacers...and Paul George, once he's a Laker, would be closer to China. ...
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

"We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rock747 For This Useful Post:

If there is anything positive about PG leaving it's that we still have Stephenson. I don't get the hate

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by rock747 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are his shorts purple and yellow?

NO LANCE, NOT YOU TOO!!
    It's a new day for Pacers Basketball.

HE WENT BEHIND THE BACK WIT IT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BornIndy07 View Post
    If there is anything positive about PG leaving it's that we still have Stephenson. I don't get the hate
    What hate? Pretty much everyone seems to be for the idea of letting him run point.

I say do it. His connection with the fans at BLF will only go to another level after the PG departure. If nothing else, we will have a PG who's going balls to the wall every game.

Start Lance at point, move up and draft Mitchell. And all of a sudden the backcourt has two hyper competitive pitbulls. Hopefully the rest of the team can take their cues from that. Gives us something to build off of.

We won't win a lot, but it'll be as much fun as possible while losing.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Can't wait to see it.

The city and fans has accepted him back with open arms, I hope he kills it. Hard not to root for Lance now.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jake0890 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    I say do it. His connection with the fans at BLF will only go to another level after the PG departure. If nothing else, we will have a PG who's going balls to the wall every game.

Start Lance at point, move up and draft Mitchell. And all of a sudden the backcourt has two hyper competitive pitbulls. Hopefully the rest of the team can take their cues from that. Gives us something to build off of.

We won't win a lot, but it'll be as much fun as possible while losing.
    Not sure how doable the moving up part is but had the same thought after reading T-bird's positive comments on Mitchell's shooting potential. Eventually add in a solid 3 & D guy in the rotation and that would have the potential for a solid backcourt.

Does Lance even have a weakness at PG? He shot nearly 40% from 3 in the playoffs against the Cavs and that is his supposed weakness.

Not only that, he converted the second most 3's on the team in the playoffs. Only Paul George made more of them.

This coming year if teams back off of him, he may well just light it up all year. If they pressure him, he will take them off the dribble all the way to the rack.

This is no doubt Lance's team. Paul who?
    Last edited by BlueNGold; 07-04-2017 at 08:27 AM.
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

16. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy View Post
    Are his shorts purple and yellow?

NO LANCE, NOT YOU TOO!!
    That will never ever happen.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Lance fan and I was excited when we brought him back. However, my main concern with starting him at the one is his tendency to improvise, and not facilitating the offense. There are times when he's ball dominant and makes a move leaving us scratching our heads. There are times when this leads to a jaw-dropping play, but would we want him bringing the ball up the court almost every time in a game?

Darren Collison is the better answer at point guard, at least in the short term.
    Last edited by adamscb; 07-04-2017 at 09:11 AM.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Does Lance even have a weakness at PG?
    His previous weakness was that he was often unwilling to pass unless the receiver could get an immediate score. He had trouble with just facilitating the offense as opposed to finding ways to rack up assists.

I am willing to wait and see if this trait has mellowed. It seemed to in his games at the end of the season, but that could be a matter of being off the bench and trying to make a good impression.

But, come on, saying Lance has no weakness as a point guard? He has a long way to go to leap to most complete PG in the game - which is what that would mean.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
    BillS

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
    Or throw in a first-round pick and flip it for a max-level point guard...

Quote Originally Posted by Jake0890 View Post
    Can't wait to see it.

The city and fans has accepted him back with open arms, I hope he kills it. Hard not to root for Lance now.
    The romantic in me is hoping that all the acidity in many posters' writings of late gets washed away through the season as we fall in love with essentially a brand new team that (1) consistently plays with heart and entertains with enthusiasm, (2) shows potential in its talented youth and growth both individually & collectively, and (3) exceeds our expectations by season's end and raises them for the future.

Lance unquestionably could be part of the story. Those who love him will swoon with adoration. I'm wondering, though, about those who loathe him. So for the Uncle Bucks among us, what would it take for you to change your mind about Lance? After pondering this question (at length), I'd like to propose an assist-to-turnover ratio of at least 3. If he does that, will you embrace him? Or at least soften on him?

"I think if he is and we pass on Leaf we'd be some dumb mother ****ers."

- Larry Bird to Kevin Pritchard before their pick on Draft Day

21. The Following User Says Thank You to DrFife For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrFife View Post
    I'm wondering, though, about those who loathe him. So for the Uncle Bucks among us, what would it take for you to change your mind about Lance? After pondering this question (at length), I'd like to propose an assist-to-turnover ratio of at least 3. If he does that, will you embrace him? Or at least soften on him?
    I want to see him get hockey assists and otherwise facilitate a flowing offense rather than a one-shot or one-pass-one-shot offense. Today's NBA offenses work best with multiple quick passes rathe than jockeying for position to be the guy who gets to get the ball from Lance and shoot.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
    BillS

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
    Or throw in a first-round pick and flip it for a max-level point guard...

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    I want to see him get hockey assists and otherwise facilitate a flowing offense rather than a one-shot or one-pass-one-shot offense. Today's NBA offenses work best with multiple quick passes rathe than jockeying for position to be the guy who gets to get the ball from Lance and shoot.
    Great point and I agree, a free-flowing "team ball" (multiple passing) offense would be a beautiful thing. I suppose there may advanced metrics for #passes/point & # passes/turnover somewhere ... but in theory I'm hoping it's captured by ATO (i.e., more good passes lead to more open shots & higher shooting percentage). Nate's new offense may significantly influence these numbers, though; we'll see.

"I think if he is and we pass on Leaf we'd be some dumb mother ****ers."

- Larry Bird to Kevin Pritchard before their pick on Draft Day

3:1 Assist to turnover is pretty special...that's quite the high bar.

I think he's going to take his passing duties more seriously next season. BnG might be overzealous, but this is the closest Lance will ever get to having a team be "his" and Pritchard said that he asked for the reigns to the team. I think he'll be more of a factor than ever before, but Collison is right there should Lance prove incapable of setting up the offense consistently.

One thing about Lance is he loves the Pacers fanbase and the Pacers fanbase loves him, asides from a few of the old crankypants that we have/had around here. Rain or shine, he will get a lot of support from the crowd.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to 3rdStrike For This Useful Post:

Anyone else worried, now that PG is gone, Lance is going to think it is his team and if that doesn't scare you to your core, then there is nothing I can say. I see a disaster happening. The only bright side isthe team is going to stink either way

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Anyone else worried, now that PG is gone, Lance is going to think it is his team and if that doesn't scare you to your core, then there is nothing I can say. I see a disaster happening. The only bright side isthe team is going to stink either way
    If it's going to stink either way, what is the "disaster" that you see happening? That the team is fun to watch, that there's energy on the court? That Lance may prove you wrong again? Please, by all means, enlighten us: if the team is going to be bad regardless, what about Lance (or anyone else) thinking it's their team scares you to your core?

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdStrike View Post
    If it's going to stink either way, what is the "disaster" that you see happening? That the team is fun to watch, that there's energy on the court? That Lance may prove you wrong again? Please, by all means, enlighten us: if the team is going to be bad regardless, what about Lance (or anyone else) thinking it's their team scares you to your core?
    I posted that the team is going to stink either way, so the won loss record won't be much different. But Lance will be fully exposed - I guess when I say disaster I mean for Lance.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I could be wrong, but I think Collison was signed to be the starting PG this season. That would move Lance to what I think his best position is...sixth man.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This notion was fun while it lasted, but never really had any legs--especially when paired with Oladipo who can't shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by sav View Post
    I could be wrong, but I think Collison was signed to be the starting PG this season. That would move Lance to what I think his best position is...sixth man.
    I think so too. Plus Nate would be dumb not to keep the Lance/Seraphin combo going.