Thread: GREAT WIN over the Raptors in my book.

Default GREAT WIN over the Raptors in my book.

We had a generally BAD game tonight, even JO had a bad shooting night, and yet we STILL find a way to come back from down 7 in the 4th to force OT and then OWN overtime vs Toronto.

What a gut check win. Great, great stuff. The gazillionth time this year that I say, this is one we simply do not win last season.

We are now friggin' 48-16 w/ 18 games to go! How nuts is that??

Default Re: GREAT WIN over the Raptors in my book.

Yup. Expected us to play poor after the road trip. Thought we would put em away alot earlier than OT though. But still, nice win.

I wonder if Uncle Buck still looks at a series with Toronto as heavily favoring our team?
    Two=the number 2
    Too=means "also"
    To=many definitions-also known as the one to use when the other 2 (two, too) do not apply.

Their=shows ownership-'it is their house'
    They're=they are
    There=many definitions-also known as the one to use when the other 2 (their, they're) do not apply

Sorry but it bugs me when these are used incorrectly when I read posts on PacersDigest.com.

I wonder if Uncle Buck still looks at a series with Toronto as heavily favoring our team?
    He probably still should. Vince went nuts in the first half to keep it close, JO had an off night (despite his #s), and generally we had weak legs all around from the road trip.

Give us home court and 7 games to beat these guys, with fresh legs, I like our chances.

Oh yes even more so.

Pacers IMO played one of their worst games of the season and the Raptors still could not beat the Pacers. [size=9:15d004c0a8](why does it seem like Rod Strickland has played about 10 games against the Pacers this season, I half expect the Raptors to cut him and the Celts to pick him up tomorrow just in tiome for Friday night. [/size]

Back on the topic that Hicks started. Yes this is a satisfying win. Looked to me as though Tinsley wasd the only pacers who had any energy at least from start to finish. Pacers looked spent both mentally and physically. Luckily they have two days off and after Sundays game they only have 6 more road games.

joro

Yup. Expected us to play poor after the road trip. Thought we would put em away alot earlier than OT though. But still, nice win.
    As I said during the game thread:

TIED WITH 1:09.

WE GOT THE BALL.

GUT CHECK TIME!

SOMEBODY STEP UP!

tdeltdot

He probably still should. Vince went nuts in the first half to keep it close, JO had an off night (despite his #s), and generally we had weak legs all around from the road trip.

Give us home court and 7 games to beat these guys, with fresh legs, I like our chances.
    Don't forget that Marshall complimented JO's off-night with one of his own and that the Rs are still without Jalen. Jalen, at 6'8'', can be a tough matchup when he plays point.

I still like our chances in the series, above all, because you know that a few games into the series Ronnie will have VC's number and the Rs field-goal percentage will tank. An easy five game win, me thinks.

Pacers should be blowing these teams out, and it seems every game, no matter who it is, ends up a tight game late in the 4th. They are winning these games but they dont seem as dominant as they were earlier in the year.

Sports Logo

Pacers should be blowing these teams out, and it seems every game, no matter who it is, ends up a tight game late in the 4th. They are winning these games but they dont seem as dominant as they were earlier in the year.
    I dont know about that. Our margin of victory is much higher now than it was early and our win % is also higher.

Before Tins took over at the point we were 21-10 we are now 27-6.

Our magin of victory was 3 points it is 4.8 now and the earlier games are dragging down the margin of victory. If you just take the 33 games with Tinsley it is 6.1212 double what it was before.

We are the only team in the NBA to have gone 9-1 over the last 10.

We have the best record. We are tied for the longest current win streak at 6.

The only two losses we have suffered in the last month were without Artest. (either with injury durring the game or not at all)

I think we are being pretty dominant.

The only two losses we have suffered in the last month were without Artest. (either with injury durring the game or not at all)
    If you could somehow exclude the Hornets, the Pacers have won 12 in a row......
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

#1 - all these opponents have NBA-caliber players, so nobody should be blowing them out.

#2 - our excellence in close games will be very useful for the only games that matter - in the playoffs.

I'd rather have a team that can dominate down the stretch of a close game than a team that blows everybody out during the regular season.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

but..but... they almost got beat by the raptors... and margin of victory doesn't mean squat. In the raps game, the pacers won by 10, but it was OT! The games have been too close for crappy teams when they should be blowing them all out of the water.

Why should we be blowing teams out? Just because we are better than them? I don't think this team is built for that. We do not have a high octane offense. This team is made to grind teams down.

I remember I "the idiot" T said once that his Championship Pistons teams had the most 10 point blow out in the association's history because being down by ten to the Piston's was like being down by 20 to any other team. We are more like that.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

ya, we only sometimes have the offense to blow crappy teams away, but we are supposed to have the Defense everytime!!

The team has been lucky squeekin out wins, good coaching by rick to make it happen, but I still say these games shouldnt be so close. either you are playing up to competition thats better than you or you are playing down to competition thats isnt as good as you. I would say the Pacers have been doing the latter

Im always the most optimistic person on here, but I find it strange that all the pessimists wanna disagree with me now, hah

NEway pacers still settin the pace.. I'm happy.

NamShub

I think people are over-estimating the degree to which a good team is "supposed" to blow out inferior teams. Or how often good teams hold on to and extend big leads.

Are there some kind of stats someone keeps to tell us about this?

Basketball's a wild game. Leads balloon and disappear. There's a reason it takes 82 games to sort of any sort of sensible playoff seedings. There's a reason a playoff series consists of 7 games. The fact that the first round was changed to 7 games last year, in order to help make sure the better team advances, should indicate how rare it is totally crush a team. JMO.

tdeltdot

I'd rather have a team that can dominate down the stretch of a close game than a team that blows everybody out during the regular season.
    If I remember correctly, many of our victories in the first half of last season were squeakers, where the last team to score a basket would be the team to win. One of the factors in our lackluster record over the second half of the season was us losing more of those close games. I'm here being reductive and speaking very generally, of course. But I do think that we shouldn't take too much solace in winning close games, given that we have seen the pendulem swing the other way and that _'dominating down the stretch' isn't necessarily a permanent trait_.

Perhaps I'm just being a contrarian assh*le or maybe I'm still just a little traumatized from the poor results of last season. As many have rightly pointed out Carlisle's style of play does attempt to ensure that defense will be the deciding factor, and so blow-outs will be few and close games will be many. Then again, that didn't work out so well last night, where Carter had some WIDE open looks that he probably could have/should have hit.