Thread: Should Indiana get an MLB team?

Default Should Indiana get an MLB team?

Personally, i'd like to see on in Indiana, perferably in Indianaplois as I don't see Fort Wayne big enough for one.

I'm not a huge fan of baseball but i'm starting to watch it more this season. I always tend to root for Indiana teams but hey all there is in Indiana are the Wizarads.

Plus it just seems werid that we don't have one. We have a football and basketball team, and baseball is fairly popular hear. It's kinda like Missiouri not having a basketball team in a way.

That was just on my mind watching some highlights of a game. Kinda werid I know.

Default Re: Should Indiana get an MLB team?

Expos should have moved here instead of DC.

I'm not a big fan of baseball. Part of it is because I find it boring to watch on TV (going to games is another story- went to a Nationals game when I was in DC last week, what a blast). Another reason is that living in Indiana you're just so used to not having a baseball team you just don't really care about it. At least thats what it is in my case. Sure, some people are Cardinals fans, Cubs fans, Reds fans, but you're just not really exposed to it, at least where I live.

If we do get a MLB team I'm sure that we'll support them as well as we do the Pacers and Colts.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Does anyone remember when Indy was in the running for the expansion franchise that eventually became the Florida Marlins? I believe at the time that Indy was passed over because of the perceived inability to support a MLB franchise for 81 home games a year. I know things have changes considerably in the years between then and now, but it's hard to imagine that this problem wouldn't still exist.

For some of you guys complaining about speeding up the game, might I suggest bringing a scorebook to the game? It gives you something to do in between pitches.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

i wonder if the new colts stadium could support a baseball team

kinda like the dolphins and the marlins at pro player stadium

Nope. Our taxes are being raised more than enough for the new Colts stadium, thank you.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

woman without a team

We are too close to Chicago and Cincinnati to be able to support our own team. Besides, we already have the Indians. That's enough for me.

I'd love to see a MLB team. Unfortunatley, I don't want a team with the way baseball is now. Only major markets win in baseball, Indianapolis is not a major market. I don't want a team that sucks.
    Sorry, I didn't know advertising was illegal here. Someone call the cops!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by TruWarier
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd love to see a MLB team. Unfortunatley, I don't want a team with the way baseball is now. Only major markets win in baseball, Indianapolis is not a major market. I don't want a team that sucks.
    Well, this is a myth if ever there was one. While it is true that bigger market teams have a greater chance of success, it is by no means an indicator of greatness. Yes the Yankees are in the number one TV market, but then again, so are the Mets. The Dodgers play in the number two market and haven't been a consistent contender in years. The third largest market sure isn't helping out the Cubs and White Sox any, and the Phillies made it to the dance out of the fourth largest market only to be stomped by Toronto, from a much, much, smaller market. The top 10 TV market teams have captured only 13 of the last 25 World Series for just over 50%. I know that what you are saying seems to make sense, but it's simply not the truth.

I don't care if we got the Devil Rays. I'd love to have a pro baseball team here.

Even if we were terrible, you could still come to enjoy seeing the opponents, whoever they may be...

If anybody needs a team to follow, follow the Cubs. They're the only team where you can have Pacer-like devotion, and Pacer-like disappointments, but you can always keep hope! I really really actually think that it could be our year this year, or almost our year again.

Damn that Steve Bartman!
    Life without water is tough, life without air is hard,life with one leg only is wobbly, Life without Reggie Miller, is impossible.

Do Not Trade Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Brunner
    Veteran Austin Croshere, the longest-tenured Pacers player on the roster, has proven reliable when called upon, invariably ready to step in regardless of the circumstance.

Quote Originally Posted by 8.9_seconds
    Damn that Steve Bartman!
    I hope this was sarcastic, or at least that you were joking, because to think that he was the reason the team lost is absurd. And to condemn him like that is despicable (unless you were doing it in jest. In that case, I would suggest using smilies in the future.).

Quote Originally Posted by MSA2CF
    I hope this was sarcastic, or at least that you were joking, because to think that he was the reason the team lost is absurd. And to condemn him like that is despicable (unless you were doing it in jest. In that case, I would suggest using smilies in the future.).

I'm Half joking, Half dead serious.

Unless one is a Cub fan they really can't relate to the devotion for this team. Year after year we go out and support and hope it will be our year just to be shot down. I know that we could have just kept on playing that night and not let it get to us, and even after the 8 run onslaught we had one more game, but think about it: We Were one out away from going to the World Series!!!! That doesn't happen for us. Then some idiot goes and catches the ball!!!!! I understand that alot of other fans would have done that too, but I still tear up a little bit every time I see that clip.

The truth is that we really are cursed.
    Life without water is tough, life without air is hard,life with one leg only is wobbly, Life without Reggie Miller, is impossible.

Do Not Trade Austin

Veteran Austin Croshere, the longest-tenured Pacers player on the roster, has proven reliable when called upon, invariably ready to step in regardless of the circumstance.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm a die hard White Sox fan, but If a team came to Indianapolis that would be really cool.

I could never leave my Sox though, and that's the problem I would see with a Indiana baseball team. I think people in Indiana are really huge Cubs, Sox, Indians, or Reds fans, I don't know how many people would switch over.

I'm probably wrong, that's just what I think.

Quote Originally Posted by 8.9_seconds
    I'm Half joking, Half dead serious.

Unless one is a Cub fan they really can't relate to the devotion for this team. Year after year we go out and support and hope it will be our year just to be shot down. I know that we could have just kept on playing that night and not let it get to us, and even after the 8 run onslaught we had one more game, but think about it: We Were one out away from going to the World Series!!!! That doesn't happen for us. Then some idiot goes and catches the ball!!!!! I understand that alot of other fans would have done that too, but I still tear up a little bit every time I see that clip.

The truth is that we really are cursed.
    If I'm not mistaken, didn't this all happen in the 8th inning? And it's not like this was an isolated incident; fans catching balls in stands occurs frequently. I know you've probably heard it a million times, but the ball was in the stands, not the field; therefore, Mr. Bartman had the right to go for the ball. Like the 11/19 Incident, he acted on instincts and did not really have the time to think about whether or not he should have had a go at it. If you've ever been to a baseball game, you've seen that balls hit into the stands are very highly contested for. It's not every day that a ball comes your way. I find it extremely difficult to see why anyone could blame a guy who is just like everybody else. It wasn't his fault Dusty Baker left his pitcher in too long or that Alex Gonzalez made a stupid fielding play. It wasn't his fault Moises Alou didn't catch that ball either; you cannot say with 100% certainty (IMO) that he would have caught the ball either. We will just have to agree to disagree. And I have an idea as to how you feel/felt as my family, including myself to an extent, are Red Sox fans.

[QUOTE=MSA2CF]
    If I'm not mistaken, didn't this all happen in the 8th inning? And it's not like this was an isolated incident;
    oops.Sorry Typo.

Dusty Baker left his pitcher in too long
    Agreed.

And I have an idea as to how you feel/felt as my family, including myself to an extent, are Red Sox fans.
    Finally got rid of the ol' curse, Eh? Haha, when will it be our turn!!!!!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

I know that Steve Bartman isn't the major reason we lost and I do feel sorry for the guy. I'm sure that alot of other fans went for the ball and he was the guy who got it, but you jus knew it was going to happen. I mean,come on, we're the Cubs aren't we?

But---

I am I safe to say that that incident changed the momentum of the game/series?

Do Not Trade Austin

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Twenty or so years ago, the "Indianapolis Arrows" managed to attract the interest of about 4,000 folks for season tickets, while our competitors were at nearly 10x that amount.

I don't think the poeple of Indianapolis really care enough about baseball to make it a success. At least they didn't seem willing to put their money where their mouths were, then. And I don't think baseball's popularity has increased any since then.

Baseball = (IMHO, of course.)
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Mood

I'm a Cubs' fan, but bringing a team to Indy would be awesome. Bartman was not the reason we lost, he was not the reason the momentum changed. It's something we can point at and displace the blame to. We were in control of that series, and FLA made quite the comeback to win.

Anyways, yeah, a MLB team would be great!
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

i don't see a mlb team in indy in the future or at least for several more decades.
    the market is not there. too many other teams in the region. add in the fact that the indians are in indy and there is just no chance for an indy mlb team to exist.
    not gonna happen.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

It took nearly 15 years for FOOTBALL to take hold in indy. Only 8 regular season home games and STILL nobody seemed to care until they started winning a little.

Baseball just won't fly. Sorry.