Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tbird Topics, June 19, 2017 edition: Thoughts/observations/questions on the latest Paul George news

Default Re: Tbird Topics, June 19, 2017 edition: Thoughts/observations/questions on the latest Paul George news

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hayward is not coming here now that PG is leaving.

But I'll play along. If that is our lineup and without knowing who is coming off our bench. I see a .500 team. a backcourt of Lance and Teague is not going to win many games and will get outplayed almost every game. Poor defense and not good long range shooting.
    Hayward and Love are both excellent shooters from 3. Love is better at that than Paul George. Hayward is near Paul level talent. I think we are better with that team than Thad and Paul.

Edit: we would be horrible defensively, but better offensively. On second thought maybe about the same but not a huge difference.
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Tbird Topics, June 19, 2017 edition: Thoughts/observations/questions on the latest Paul George news

I don't know why people think Hayward is signing here without PG. It was a remote shot already with him. No one wants to take PG's place so that the Pacers can become a 6-8 seed for the next 3 years.

As for point 12 in the original post, about purchasing draft picks:

Could that be what Bird was referring to about the increased budget in his farewell presser?

The Blazers were rumoured to be in the market to sell off some.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jose Slaughter For This Useful Post:

sav

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The ownership thing is the biggest concern to me. It basically broke up the ECF teams. We should have went into the tax to keep Lance. We should have paid more for a better coach. We should have been more willing to make drastic moves to add real talent and not Monta or Jefferson.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This is the main thing keeping me around.
    Are you talking Lance being on the team, or watching UB if Lance remains on the team?
    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by perryb85 View Post
    Its not dramatic. Its the truth. I was so relieved, as were many others, not to have to deal with rumors and BS when he made his comments on Thursday. To turn around and hear the news on Sunday, its just a slap in the face. You just don't treat a fan base that way. I'm part of several Pacers groups and the majority were ecstatic after Thursday evening because people thought maybe we had a chance to contend. People thought Paul had been convinced to give us one more shot and see what happens. If Paul was convinced that Prich had a plan, maybe something was brewing.

It would be one thing if Paul made all these comments back in April after getting swept in the playoffs. I could have understood if he would have let his emotions cool and then realized he wanted to go to the Lakers. But to basically pull a 180 in 72 hours, that just screams of selfishness.
    Or fickleness.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    The ownership thing is the biggest concern to me. It basically broke up the ECF teams. We should have went into the tax to keep Lance. We should have paid more for a better coach. We should have been more willing to make drastic moves to add real talent and not Monta or Jefferson.
    The crazy thing is we could have had PG singed for an extra year. But we wanted the extra cap room so he took like a million less each year in exchange for a player option on the 5th year.

It's like all of our small mistakes have just been compounding to where we are today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We should have went into the tax to keep Lance.
    I don't think the LT is what determined the offer we made Lance. Bird's allocation of the salary figure did it - there was plenty of room to give Lance more if Bird felt he deserved it.

We should have paid more for a better coach.
    This one at least has some plausibility to it. I'm not completely convinced Simon wouldn't have paid for a more expensive coach iof Bird was willing to ask for it, though. I think Bird just somehow thought Nate was a good choice.

We should have been more willing to make drastic moves to add real talent and not Monta or Jefferson.
    I think there were better players available for what we spent on Monta and Al, so I think Bird's decision-making is more at fault.

I think the ownership "situation" is that if the Pres/GM comes to Herb and says "if we spend into the LT I can guarantee a spot in the Conference Finals with a high probability of getting to the Finals and winning it all" then Herb would say yes. In many ways, I think Bird was never willing to put his own butt on the line with such a statement - he always felt we were too far away to be able to convince Herb that spending that much (and losing all the money back from the league going into the LT entails) would bring results. I think Herb is willing to spend into the LT but not unless we're on the brink.
    BillS

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
    Or throw in a first-round pick and flip it for a max-level point guard...