Page 3 of 261 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Thread: George informs Pacers of intent to Leave: Woj

Default Re: George informs Pacers of intent to Leave: Woj

What if miracle happens and Pacers lose in the finals next year with Pg on the team haha. He do takesys backsys? If we keep him will he even try?

Also glad he told the Pacers that so they don't spend money on Rudy Gay, Howard or whoever.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vnzla81 For This Useful Post:

The only sense this makes is if PG really thinks he is doing the Pacers a favor by trying to get anything in return like a draft pick or he wants the max contract from the Lakers. Either way it's bad business and bad PR. The Pacers would have been better off keeping this under wraps and trying to work something out behind the scenes.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to eldubious For This Useful Post:

Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersalltheway10 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "MTisthefuture"

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PGisthefuture For This Useful Post:

Trade him to Cleveland for the Cavs' 2019 first-rounder. Then, when Lebron leaves Cleveland and they suck again, we have their pick.

Yeah, I know it won't happen.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to LuckSwagger For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Magic just tweeting "God is so good" reminds me why I haven't been inside any facility of religious worship in like 20 years.

11. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    I understand his choice to leave but this way we get absolutely **** all in return (in a possible trade). For that, I am bitter towards Paul.

What do you mean "this way". I have read this forum and for the past year most said they wished PG would be open and honest with the Pacers, that he owes them that. well it appears if Woj is correct, PG was open and honest - which is what everyone wanted. So what Am I missing on this specific issue

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pogi View Post
    I disagree. Since the Pacers have been in the NBA, how many PG type players have we ever had?
    How many really elite players have we had? None. Top 5-7 NBA players don't take the regular season off and not make the all-NBA team. PG is the best Pacer ever and a tier above JO, but he's not elite.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This is where we are in the NBA. Stars stay with their original team for about 7 or so years, then get bored unless they're in a pristine situation: 2010 Lebron, Bosh, Howard, Melo, CP3, Durant, and now PG.

The league just gets crappier and crappier. Tough to remain interested in a product that increasingly goes down the toilet by the day.

I know. My interest in the NBA has been hanging by a thread for some time now. This news is pretty much all I needed to just no longer watch this product period.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Grimp For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

At least he's being upfront about his intentions. Gives the FO some time to figure out life after Paul.

He gave us some incredible memories. I'd like for the team to move him to the Lakers in order to avoid losing him for NOTHING at this point. But I can't imagine LA doing that.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Foul on Smits View Post
    If i'm Indiana Pacers organization. I put a press release out saying we will be trying to lose every game next year. **** Adam Silver. The only way we get a star player for a significant amount of time and a chance to win a title is if we tank for one. Tank for Michael Porter. Let it be known. **** the repercussions. Adam Silver aint looking out for the Pacers. So **** him! Lets do a blatant tank and make a mockery of this ****. A mockery has already been made of this system anyhow.

I'm not blindsided at all. But still... **** YOU Paul George!
    Your typical class is showing through as always.

I don't know about you guys but I'm happy, I wasn't looking forward for a whole year of PR BS and comments from PG telling us how he wanted to win a championship and all that.

I'm glad this **** is over.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

22. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to vnzla81 For This Useful Post:

People that want to retaliate against PG: Bird doing that kind of petty crap with other players may be the biggest contributing factor of today's events in the first place.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Lurker of the Year Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

If #2 isn't on the table no deal. I'm sorry, I'd rather lose him for nothing then gift wrap him to LA. **** them.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

26. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Infinite MAN_force For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This is where we are in the NBA. Stars stay with their original team for about 7 or so years, then get bored unless they're in a pristine situation: 2010 Lebron, Bosh, Howard, Melo, CP3, Durant, and now PG.

The league just gets crappier and crappier. Tough to remain interested in a product that increasingly goes down the toilet by the day.
    The Pacers had plenty of time to foster a winning team around Paul, and have failed to do so since the original Vogel teams.

Stars no longer want to waste several years with a franchise thats not going anywhere. Now he will be in the same position in LA, cept he gets to do it in LA.

Just the way these guys are wired now

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    How many really elite players have we had? None. Top 5-7 NBA players don't take the regular season off and not make the all-NBA team. PG is the best Pacer ever and a tier above JO, but he's not elite.
    But you said this isn't like LeBron leaving Cleveland devastating, which I am in total disagreement. We may never get another player like PG ever again, much less a Lebron type player.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I don't know about you guys but I'm happy, I wasn't looking forward for a whole year of PR BS and comments from PG telling us how he wanted to win a championship and all that.

I'm glad this **** is over.
    That and trading our first round pick for some mediocre player with three years on his contract that we end up not really even wanting after PG leaves.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

This isn't a surprise. I shared the intel before. And Indy already knew.

This is coming out now because Indy knows they can't get value for PG from anyone. He likely is dealt by mid July to LA.
    Last edited by 2Cleva; 06-18-2017 at 04:12 PM.

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 2Cleva For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I'm okay with him being upfront, I am more disappointed that at word got out somehow.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pogi View Post
    But you said this isn't like LeBron leaving Cleveland devastating, which I am in total disagreement. We may never get another player like PG ever again, much less a Lebron type player.
    When Cleveland last LBJ they were the worst team in the East the following year. When PG went down with an injury the Pacers were the 9th-10th best team in the East. I'm not saying we will be a playoff team, but we won't be the laughingstock of the league either.

PG is something like the 20th best player in the NBA right now. If the Pacers don't have the chops to draft or acquire a top 20 NBA player for the next decade, then the problem goes far beyond PG.

37. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

The Woj article is worth reading

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-pau...191520531.html

All-Star forward Paul George has informed the Indiana Pacers that he plans to become a free agent in the summer of 2018 and will leave the franchise – preferably for the Los Angeles Lakers, league sources told The Vertical.

George hasn’t requested a trade before he can opt out of his 2018-19 contract, but did have his agent, Aaron Mintz, tell new Indiana president of basketball operations Kevin Pritchard that he wanted to be forthright on his plans and spare the franchise any confusion about his intentions, league sources told The Vertical.

George can sign a four-year deal worth as much as $130 million with Los Angeles next year. George is a Southern California native and playing for the Lakers would represent a homecoming for him.

George plans to play out the 2017-18 season with Indiana, but wants to give the organization the chance to plan appropriately for its future – which George told the team won’t include him, league sources said.

George’s desire to join the Lakers has massive repercussions on the free-agent market in 2018. Under president Magic Johnson and general manager Rob Pelinka, George would represent the first NBA star in years to choose the Lakers in free agency. As Los Angeles’ management reshapes its roster, George could be a lure to recruit other top available players to the Lakers.

Between then and now, the pressure will mount for the Pacers to formulate a trade with the Lakers in the near future, because the risk of losing a star of George’s stature for nothing next summer is potentially devastating. If management takes George at his word about wanting to join the Lakers in 2018, it may be cornered into making the best possible trade it can with Los Angeles now, squeezing whatever value out of the Lakers that Indiana can acquire in a deal for George.

The Pacers could bring back young players – such as forward Julius Randle, for example – and future draft assets to make a deal for George now, if the two teams are so inclined.
    Nevertheless, the Lakers can create the necessary salary-cap space to sign George next summer and won’t be compelled to make a dramatic offer to Indiana now.

Indiana’s ability to find a trade for George elsewhere has become increasingly limited, if not crippled, because NBA teams believe that it’s George’s intention to eventually sign with the Lakers as a free agent in 2018.

Because George wasn’t named to an All-NBA team this spring, Indiana lost out on the chance to offer him a five-year, $207 million Designated Player Veteran Exception. Indiana can offer George a five-year, $177 million extension.

George, 27, averaged 23.7 points, 6.6 rebounds and 3.3 assists in 2016-17, leading Indiana to the Eastern Conference playoffs. The Pacers lost a first-round series to the Cleveland Cavaliers in four games. George is a four-time All-Star and one of the best two-way players in the world. He was part of the 2016 USA Olympic gold medal team, just two years after suffering a broken leg.

The Pacers’ inability to maintain a contending roster has played a part in George’s belief that he has a better chance for championship contention by joining the Lakers, league sources said. After reaching the Eastern Conference finals in consecutive years – 2013 and 2014 – the Pacers have slowly had a talent drain that included the decline and loss of Roy Hibbert and the departures of David West and George Hill. George had a close relationship with the architect of those Pacers teams, Larry Bird, who recently stepped down as team president to become a franchise consultant.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 06-18-2017 at 04:05 PM.

39. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's really disappointing. I thought it could go either way, but obviously most in media thought he was going. His quotes from Thursday had me feeling more optimistic he'd stay and that Pritchard would make a roster that left him comfortable doing so, then this Woj bomb just blows that hope away. :-/

The worst part of course is that the way this happened means Indiana will be lucky to get anything for Paul via a trade. Our best hope now is that either LAL gets impatient and wants to use PG actually already being in LA to recruit another star as soon as possible, or otherwise there's a third team that's convinced they can talk Paul into choosing them over LA, which is not likely.

This is probably going to suck...

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    The Pacers had plenty of time to foster a winning team around Paul, and have failed to do so since the original Vogel teams.

Stars no longer want to waste several years with a franchise thats not going anywhere. Now he will be in the same position in LA, cept he gets to do it in LA.

Just the way these guys are wired now
    Exactly! People see players like Barkley, Malone, Webber, etc....and the big stigma on all of them is NO RING! Regardless of individual achievements, most people remember them being ringless.

43. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pogi For This Useful Post:

Since we have talked at length about the idea of stretching Monta and AlJeff and what it would cost, can we do the same to Paul this off season instead. If he wants to leave, why keep him around and receive nothing for him. Do you really think he is going give us his very best having announced he is leaving? Just asking? Wouldn't that free up a yuuge pile of money to use on free agents?

Well we are letting a superstar walk for absolutely nothing